Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox game releases — March 1st to 7th

• Posted on 26 February 21 at 18:16
    Under the Jolly Roger sounds alright, imma check that out. Limitless sailing, loot to plunder, leveling and hundreds of quests, ticks a lot of boxes.
  • OliverOwen12OliverOwen12327,107
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 18:36
    DeathHunts#9248 said:
    I cannot wait for Monster Jam, loved the first one. It's the perfect game for my little boy as he is a Monster Jam fan.
    Can you tell me if this is a simulation game or more of an arcade style game? I have a 3 year old who loves all things monster trucks and i bought Monster Truck Championship for him to play but that is a complete simulation game and way too hard even for me. i want to get Monster jam for him but am not sure if he will be able to play it.
    Assassin's Creed is the best franchise in gaming. Ubisoft makes the best games in the industry. And I am hungry...
  • Iggsy81Iggsy81494,448
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 19:16
    XXDeZnUtZ34Xxx said:
    I can't wait until the 8-bit fad is over.
    Yep. There was a time when a few pixelart games coming out was kinda neat but now it's 90% of releases and frankly i just roll my eyes at every new one of them and move along.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Montaigne83
  • LIFTY187umLIFTY187um390,997
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 20:00
    What a pile of crap......
    gamer score is now pointless thanks to dumb indie games.......
  • EveryBaseEveryBase351,136
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 20:13, Edited on 26 February 21 at 20:24 by EveryBase
    XXDeZnUtZ34Xxx said:
    DeathHunts#9248 said:
    I cannot wait for Monster Jam, loved the first one. It's the perfect game for my little boy as he is a Monster Jam fan.
    Can you tell me if this is a simulation game or more of an arcade style game? I have a 3 year old who loves all things monster trucks and i bought Monster Truck Championship for him to play but that is a complete simulation game and way too hard even for me. i want to get Monster jam for him but am not sure if he will be able to play it.
    Just wanted to let you know if interested. The first The Crew game has a Monster Truck DLC that has loopty loop type courses and a few epic jumps that my son loves to drive the monster truck on. You can also drive on the road and run into people that he enjoys. He's 4 and has a lil trouble steering otherwise it's not too hard to learn so maybe your son would like in the future. Was a GWG BITD so you might already have it.
  • bigsmok3rbigsmok3r1,148,069
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 20:49
    TrueAchievement said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    NO1KEV said:
    Maxumilli0n said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    No point, All the games bar 1 or 2 have been completed already. Great job enforcing TA! Said no-one ever
    If it were up to me games that haven't been officially released shouldn't be tracked and people who are testing achievements or reviewing games shouldn't be tracked either.
    Agreed. You have a leaderboard with the first 10 ppl to complete it but 90% of the time its already full with those that get it weeks before anyone else and for free as well. Not really fair for most who have to wait until official release
    I know, It's actually hilarious that even the owner/runners of the site don't even get it.
    Actually, this has been discussed and ruled out on multiple occasions for good reasons.

Check the forums for more info.
    Sorry buddy but there isn't a "good reason" for this no matter which way it's pitched. It's simple really, If people join this site to try and be first in the world to finish a game, They'll soon discover that 57 people beat it 7 weeks before it was released. My point is to take the leaderboards for completion position away, Or, Block early entries.
    Those are your only 2 options which are fair.
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 20:53
    I'll put it another way. There are half a million users give or take, and around 100-200 reviewers?(maybe). How is your way fair with that ratio c'mon lol
  • Weasel PizzaWeasel Pizza1,687,652
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 21:28
    bigsmok3r said:
    I'll put it another way. There are half a million users give or take, and around 100-200 reviewers?(maybe). How is your way fair with that ratio c'mon lol
    Why does it need to be fair? If it means that much to you, you have to get early access as well.

They get it early, unfair to you. You downloaded it 30 minutes before me, unfair to me. I can’t afford the new release, unfair.
  • Jawnie BJawnie B2,531,041
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 21:44
    A lot of comments about the leaderboards and for what I have to assume is wanting to be high on the earliest to complete list. I think excluding prelaunch players is like making your settings to include owned or no DLC. It may make some stat on only this site look better, But if you're first on the leaderboard can you really say you were the first to complete it?

I personally don't see a lot of value in being first, but like many things achievement related I though I may like to do it at least once. My first attempt was Happy Dungeons but ultimately someone unlocked the lvl 50 ach before me, which I only knew because it wasn't 0.00 rarity. I was first on the site, but knew I couldn't say I was first the earn the achievement and knew it was highly unlikely I was first to complete. Pretty sure that one person joined the site later so I'm not even #1 here here anymore.

I have since been first the earn a single achievement, but not to complete a game, and to be honest I don't think I've tried since that one time I did because, as people are hinting at, prerelease codes make it unfair... but it's not TA's fault, you should be pissed at the devs and publishers who hand them out to the elite few. So yeah, in my opinion you're energy shouldn't be directed at rich to change the leaderboards to what to me feels like lying, but express your dislike of this practice to the devs and publishers. Ultimately I doubt it will change much, but if you did at least you wouldn't have to lie about being first.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,258
    Posted on 26 February 21 at 22:15
    I see Castle of No Escape has the easy list of achievements that Xitilon was forced to rescind. I got the game on Steam a few years ago—a remake or clone of the old DOS Leygref's Castle. It didn’t have any achievements.
  • Posted on 26 February 21 at 23:11, Edited on 26 February 21 at 23:12 by FightingMegaFoo
    Iggsy81 said:
    XXDeZnUtZ34Xxx said:
    Yep. There was a time when a few pixelart games coming out was kinda neat but now it's 90% of releases and frankly i just roll my eyes at every new one of them and move along.
    It's such a stupid trend and I can't figure out why it's acceptable.

Imagine the backlash if all of a sudden 90% of all new TV shows and movies were released in black and white, 90% of new songs were released on cassette, 90% of new cars had manual transmission with roll down windows, 90% of new phones came with cords that connect to a wall outlet, etc.?
  • Posted on 26 February 21 at 23:21
    bigsmok3r said:
    TrueAchievement said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    NO1KEV said:
    Maxumilli0n said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    No point, All the games bar 1 or 2 have been completed already. Great job enforcing TA! Said no-one ever
    If it were up to me games that haven't been officially released shouldn't be tracked and people who are testing achievements or reviewing games shouldn't be tracked either.
    Agreed. You have a leaderboard with the first 10 ppl to complete it but 90% of the time its already full with those that get it weeks before anyone else and for free as well. Not really fair for most who have to wait until official release
    I know, It's actually hilarious that even the owner/runners of the site don't even get it.
    Actually, this has been discussed and ruled out on multiple occasions for good reasons.

Sorry buddy but there isn't a "good reason" for this no matter which way it's pitched. It's simple really, If people join this site to try and be first in the world to finish a game, They'll soon discover that 57 people beat it 7 weeks before it was released. My point is to take the leaderboards for completion position away, Or, Block early entries.
    Agreed
    Damian catolster
  • Maxumilli0nMaxumilli0n1,496,754
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 01:09
    Mooninight said:
    A lot of comments about the leaderboards and for what I have to assume is wanting to be high on the earliest to complete list. I think excluding prelaunch players is like making your settings to include owned or no DLC. It may make some stat on only this site look better, But if you're first on the leaderboard can you really say you were the first to complete it?

I personally don't see a lot of value in being first, but like many things achievement related I though I may like to do it at least once. My first attempt was Happy Dungeons but ultimately someone unlocked the lvl 50 ach before me, which I only knew because it wasn't 0.00 rarity. I was first on the site, but knew I couldn't say I was first the earn the achievement and knew it was highly unlikely I was first to complete. Pretty sure that one person joined the site later so I'm not even #1 here here anymore.

I have since been first the earn a single achievement, but not to complete a game, and to be honest I don't think I've tried since that one time I did because, as people are hinting at, prerelease codes make it unfair... but it's not TA's fault, you should be pissed at the devs and publishers who hand them out to the elite few. So yeah, in my opinion you're energy shouldn't be directed at rich to change the leaderboards to what to me feels like lying, but express your dislike of this practice to the devs and publishers. Ultimately I doubt it will change much, but if you did at least you wouldn't have to lie about being first.
    I'm not really worried about it because I know what games to choose if I am actually going to try and go for first and actually have a shot at it. But that's not really a goal of mine 99% of the time. Simply was stating my opinion didn't think it would get into this deep debate lol
  • Jawnie BJawnie B2,531,041
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 03:48, Edited on 27 February 21 at 04:11 by Jawnie B
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    Iggsy81 said:
    XXDeZnUtZ34Xxx said:
    It's such a stupid trend and I can't figure out why it's acceptable.

Imagine the backlash if all of a sudden 90% of all new TV shows and movies were released in black and white, 90% of new songs were released on cassette, 90% of new cars had manual transmission with roll down windows, 90% of new phones came with cords that connect to a wall outlet, etc.?
    I will start by saying as someone who grew up with the nes it probably bothers me less than the youngins, although I think the few kids I know under 10 or so all really love Minecraft, which gives the impression of an 8 bit game, although when you looks at the lighting effects on some of the builds it's hard to make a complete comparison.

The reason why it seems to me that there is a huge wave to 8 or 16ish bit graphics is because Xbox has made it easier for very small teams (sometimes as far as a single person) to develop and self publish a game, and that style is just easier for a small team to finish. Personally, I like pretty games too, but in my opinion gameplay is much more important, and I hate to sound like a broken record always taking jabs at the AAA big budget titles, but seldom do they try something new. I'd very much like to see a pie chart showing the genres of games with a Million dollar budget or more. I'd have to be at least 70% are first or third person shooters, then if you eliminate sports and racing you may have what 10% of the games with that big a budget, and I feel like I'm overestimating.

And if that's all you like is shooters more power to ya. Most of them take so long to complete that I'm not sure you need a bunch more flooding the market, but I very much appreciate variety and a game trying to do something new and big publishers are not willing to take a risk on them. I think of Sunset Overdrive. I didn't like it, but some really loved it and yes it was another shooter, but the movement was something I hadn't seen before so I praise them for trying a new thing. I should look up how much, if any, profit it made, but even for games that make a profit, if a publisher doesn't think it's enough they'll just scrap the game rather than taking community feedback and if they don't look into how people play the game they should, and try to make it better. But my major point is that the small teams who usually make these types of games try more new things than the big guys. Are some of them horrible? Definitely yes. Are some of them also like other games such as platformers or shoot 'em ups? Also yes. but I will say that I admire someone who is willing take a chance and work for themselves on something that they may be more passionate about than being a small part of a big game.

The thing I don't like is that you seem to want them to completely go away because of your preference, but if I though 8 bit games were far superior you wouldn't hear me calling for 4k games to go away. From the way they make it seem amazing graphics games take huge teams. Hundreds to thousands of coders. so if you took the devs from 100 indie games you may get... 1 or 2 beautiful looking games? And I know it's tempting to be greedy and not say you want that because you don't want any of those indie games. It makes me think about the last post for the two EA games getting added to game pass. Initially I wanted to bitch saying, EA access joining game pass was horrible because damn near non of these games appeal to me and by adding these, they'd be adding less that I'd actually want to play. I didn't post it though because I knew it was a selfish point of view and even though I don't like the narrow minded tastes of the average gamer, I realized more people would probably like the games than didn't. When it comes down to it though, I think most people, no matter their taste in games, are seeing a growing number of games their interested in being released.

I really should wrap it up. I will just say that you can explain why you think better graphics games are superior, but I don't think you should take away someones ability to get them. My personal pet peeve is games that are too dark. Like I can't even make myself play Ori even though I like platformers because damn near all the screen is black. Now would I say get rid of all dark games? No, and in fact for some reason some are more tolerable, like Limbo for instance. The biggest point should probably be that nobody is making you buy or play 8 bit games, and I can't imagine they're doing harm to anyone, so why should they go away?

Edit: just reread your post and saw the comparisons to other things which it's hard for me to make the leap on most of them. Let's take the black and white TV and Movie comparison as something like manual transmission and manual windows makes it harder to drive, and 8 bit games can be easier or harder. Visual inferiority in the medium is apt though, but perhaps your not seeing it right. Let's compare it to cable in the 90s. I think I had just under 100 or so channels at the time, and it was rare to see a black and white. then suddenly they made it easier for people to make channels and 5 years later there's 150 color channels, and I reject your 90% estimate, I think even 2/3 may be high, but lets say it is, it's like they added 300 black and white channels that you hate, but they've taken nothing away and maybe I'm assuming wrong that there's slightly more good graphics games out now, but there's still a good amount of them. With covid though I can see how there may be less being worked on in places where there's a lock down so yes we may see more games made from home, but if it is covids fault I'd be happy at least some games are being made rather than a huge drought like the TV and Movie industry. Anyways, I'm pretty sure your Call of Dutys and Maddens and Assassins Creeds and still being made, along with others, and maybe if they didn't insist on making them 500 hour games you'd get more of them.
  • Iggsy81Iggsy81494,448
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 04:40
    ^^ AAA games are garbage dont get me wrong, but i'll take a Spiritfarer, Cuphead, Ori, Ooblets, Child of Light etc any day of the millennium over all of these pixel-art wannabes we are being flooded with. It's almost the default lazy go-to option now and just, as you said, AAA games are by-the-numbers, formulaic and boring (that outriders game that just demoed or whatever, LOL, can you get a more boring, drab, uninteresting game if you tried?), the indie side has also become stale with too much pixel-art dime a dozen junk.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Montaigne83
  • Posted on 27 February 21 at 12:13
    DAMIANCATOLSTER said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    TrueAchievement said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    NO1KEV said:
    Maxumilli0n said:
    bigsmok3r said:

Agreed
    Yup, it really sucks the see 3 guys with Review Copies finish an 80 hour game on release day.
    Love Title Updates, new achievements without spending a dime!
  • Andy LaRockAndy LaRock205,386
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 16:41
    Wow thats a lot of trash.
  • SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,148,725
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 16:45
    Mooninight said:
    [an awesome wall of text that I'm deleting for space]
    thank you. I've been waiting a long time to hear such thoughts on here.

8/16/24-bit style games or rereleases have been the highlight of the current gen.

Some of us (meaning me) think Halo, Gears, or COD are "just okay" but don't lust after them.

Whereas Xit, Rata, ACA, eastasia, I want to play every single one.
    and do have fun with them.

the generally easy GS is just a bonus.
  • Storm YorhaStorm Yorha423,515
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 17:39, Edited on 27 February 21 at 17:44 by Storm Yorha
    My god, the Xbox Store is full of hot garbage nowadays. Asdivine Cross and Kill It With Fire are the only decent looking ones in the bunch
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 17:41
    Weasel Pizza said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    Why does it need to be fair? If it means that much to you, you have to get early access as well.

They get it early, unfair to you. You downloaded it 30 minutes before me, unfair to me. I can’t afford the new release, unfair.
    I'm sorry but you've read it wrong I think. I'm talking about not being able to get a top 10 finish because people are added to the leaderboards before games are even released, I used to have alot of fun trying to get a placement, Refreshing the page on here, Battling it out with a few select players who also enjoyed the rush of it all.
    But now, Well this is where we are.....Having to argue for fairness lol
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.