Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox game releases — March 1st to 7th

• bigsmok3rbigsmok3r1,147,930
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 17:48
    XBox Assassin83 said:
    DAMIANCATOLSTER said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    TrueAchievement said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    NO1KEV said:
    Maxumilli0n said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    No point, All the games bar 1 or 2 have been completed already. Great job enforcing TA! Said no-one ever
    If it were up to me games that haven't been officially released shouldn't be tracked and people who are testing achievements or reviewing games shouldn't be tracked either.
    Agreed. You have a leaderboard with the first 10 ppl to complete it but 90% of the time its already full with those that get it weeks before anyone else and for free as well. Not really fair for most who have to wait until official release
    I know, It's actually hilarious that even the owner/runners of the site don't even get it.
    Actually, this has been discussed and ruled out on multiple occasions for good reasons.

Check the forums for more info.
    Sorry buddy but there isn't a "good reason" for this no matter which way it's pitched. It's simple really, If people join this site to try and be first in the world to finish a game, They'll soon discover that 57 people beat it 7 weeks before it was released. My point is to take the leaderboards for completion position away, Or, Block early entries.
    Those are your only 2 options which are fair.
    Agreed
    Yup, it really sucks the see 3 guys with Review Copies finish an 80 hour game on release day.
    If the leaderboards can't get changed, I think the sites "Just how good are you" motto should be removed instead as we're usually 227th good or 51st good, but never 1-10 good;)
  • Weasel PizzaWeasel Pizza1,683,316
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 17:55
    bigsmok3r said:
    Weasel Pizza said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    I'll put it another way. There are half a million users give or take, and around 100-200 reviewers?(maybe). How is your way fair with that ratio c'mon lol
    Why does it need to be fair? If it means that much to you, you have to get early access as well.

They get it early, unfair to you. You downloaded it 30 minutes before me, unfair to me. I can’t afford the new release, unfair.
    I'm sorry but you've read it wrong I think. I'm talking about not being able to get a top 10 finish because people are added to the leaderboards before games are even released, I used to have alot of fun trying to get a placement, Refreshing the page on here, Battling it out with a few select players who also enjoyed the rush of it all.
    But now, Well this is where we are.....Having to argue for fairness lol
    Nah, I read it right. Kind of teasing you for putting so much stock in being first on these specific leaderboards. It’s like being the person who posts “first” in an article and it’s the first post.

If I were you I’d push for a fastest completion times leaderboard and better integration from Microsoft and TA for tracking stats like that.
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 19:05
    Weasel Pizza said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    Weasel Pizza said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    I'll put it another way. There are half a million users give or take, and around 100-200 reviewers?(maybe). How is your way fair with that ratio c'mon lol
    Why does it need to be fair? If it means that much to you, you have to get early access as well.

They get it early, unfair to you. You downloaded it 30 minutes before me, unfair to me. I can’t afford the new release, unfair.
    I'm sorry but you've read it wrong I think. I'm talking about not being able to get a top 10 finish because people are added to the leaderboards before games are even released, I used to have alot of fun trying to get a placement, Refreshing the page on here, Battling it out with a few select players who also enjoyed the rush of it all.
    Nah, I read it right. Kind of teasing you for putting so much stock in being first on these specific leaderboards. It’s like being the person who posts “first” in an article and it’s the first post.

If I were you I’d push for a fastest completion times leaderboard and better integration from Microsoft and TA for tracking stats like that.
    The integration idea is excellent, Fair play that would be cool to have the whole pool in there, TA should be pushing for that most definitely, But I don't agree with the first to finish being the same as posting "first"laugh
  • Jawnie BJawnie B2,529,223
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 20:40
    Spirochaete said:
    Mooninight said:
    [an awesome wall of text that I'm deleting for space]
    thank you. I've been waiting a long time to hear such thoughts on here.

8/16/24-bit style games or rereleases have been the highlight of the current gen.

Some of us (meaning me) think Halo, Gears, or COD are "just okay" but don't lust after them.

Whereas Xit, Rata, ACA, eastasia, I want to play every single one.
    and do have fun with them.

the generally easy GS is just a bonus.
    Thank you for this! usually when someone likes what you post they don't say it, but if they disagree or find fault in something you said they are much more likely to. I admit I lean that way myself, mostly because half of the time I'm not even sure the person you're quoting even sees it, but if you disagree or find fault in an argument they more often will respond

You deleted my post so I have to assume what you commented on. where as I do agree that I personally enjoy a larger percentage of the 8 or whatever bit games, I wasn't trying to convince anyone that they were even good, but that the increase in games of the type isn't as horrible as they made it seem and I didn't think they were getting less games that they seemed to prefer. Of course my main gripe with the AAA that come to mind is how often Sadistic and mean the achievements often are.

Anyways, I appreciate being able to feel like I can relate to someone at least about one thing in the gaming world, which seems to becoming more rare, So thanks! It was a nice way to start my birthday.
  • NO1KEVNO1KEV2,269,724
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 22:04
    bigsmok3r said:
    Weasel Pizza said:
    bigsmok3r said:

Well i feel ms is to blame as well, surely they could lock/block the achs unlocking until official release? I just feel the leaderboards are pointless unless everyone has access to the same start date.
  • Redders 420Redders 4201,027,059
    Posted on 27 February 21 at 22:17
    bigsmok3r said:
    TrueAchievement said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    NO1KEV said:
    Maxumilli0n said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    No point, All the games bar 1 or 2 have been completed already. Great job enforcing TA! Said no-one ever
    If it were up to me games that haven't been officially released shouldn't be tracked and people who are testing achievements or reviewing games shouldn't be tracked either.
    Agreed. You have a leaderboard with the first 10 ppl to complete it but 90% of the time its already full with those that get it weeks before anyone else and for free as well. Not really fair for most who have to wait until official release
    I know, It's actually hilarious that even the owner/runners of the site don't even get it.
    Actually, this has been discussed and ruled out on multiple occasions for good reasons.

Check the forums for more info.
    Sorry buddy but there isn't a "good reason" for this no matter which way it's pitched. It's simple really, If people join this site to try and be first in the world to finish a game, They'll soon discover that 57 people beat it 7 weeks before it was released. My point is to take the leaderboards for completion position away, Or, Block early entries.
    Those are your only 2 options which are fair.
    Perhaps anyone who starts a game before the official launch date has a (PR) next to their stat to show that they played the game Pre-Release. I don't know how hard that would be to implement though.

Alternatively when the game page is added to TA, could it be a pre release page which puts any gamers that start early on that leaderboard, then on the day of release add another game page for the full release that gamers only get out on if they started the game on or after the official release date. Just food for thought.
    It's more than just a game, it's a passion.
  • SnappleBackSnappleBack197,387
    Posted on 28 February 21 at 02:14
    NannerLoaf said:
    Take my money Xitilon, its yours.
    Beware, the Xitilon title is not as easy as it used to be. In face, this game is close to nothing but RNG to complete. Would not recommended buying this one. I got lucky and popped most of the achievements, submitted a refund, and got my money back. Completing the game is literally just an crappy RNG mechanic with even worse gameplay mechanics.
    Snappleback
  • Don CornoDon Corno564,295
    Posted on 28 February 21 at 09:16
    Under the Jolly Roger..... Because.... Pirates!!!
  • ShadowRaven9ShadowRaven9298,892
    Posted on 28 February 21 at 11:00
    bigsmok3r said:
    Imagine playing Xbox games for the sole purpose of being number 1 on a leaderboard seen only on this site.

Achievements have ruined gaming for the sake of gaming IMO
    Posted on 28 February 21 at 11:08
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    bigsmok3r said:
    Imagine playing Xbox games for the sole purpose of being number 1 on a leaderboard seen only on this site.

To double down on my comment, I dont think TA should cater to the users that take achievement hunting to the nth extreme. What do I mean by this?

Obsessing over 1st on EVERY leaderboards or something like having an account solely to have "100%" completion on all games is a bit much. Ive seen some super odd behavior on this site lol I hope Im not saying anything "shocking" though and Im not trying to pick on anyone in particular. Its all in the name of "dude, settle down a tiny bit".

Alas, if this site had a downvote comment feature, Im sure id be in the pits by now.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,257
    Posted on 28 February 21 at 20:29
    Just pre-ordered Kill It With Fire to take advantage of the 20% off.
  • ShakasoShakaso872,683
    Posted on 01 March 21 at 06:48
    Mail mole seems nice smile
  • thebritt2001thebritt2001482,360
    Posted on 01 March 21 at 12:12
    Weasel Pizza said:

Mate, your position is baffling and doesn't make any sense. Not everyone wants to play games the way you do. If they want to be first, or try, then it's their choice. That's how they have fun. I couldn't care less, but that doesn't mean I would want to stop others from doing whatever they like.

Imagine you show up to a race, but when you get to the starting position, there are already a whole bunch of people stood at the finish line. Your own examples about 'buying it earlier' or 'downloading it later', that's on you. Not even getting the chance to compete for first is unfair and if it really means so little... then why does that board even exist? As the other guy said, either make it fair or remove it, otherwise - what's the purpose of the board?

As said, I don't care myself, but that doesn't mean these guys that want it are wrong, nor should they be teased for the stuff they enjoy, it's kind of mean spirited and doesn't help them.

Redders 420 said:
    Perhaps anyone who starts a game before the official launch date has a (PR) next to their stat to show that they played the game Pre-Release. I don't know how hard that would be to implement though.

Alternatively when the game page is added to TA, could it be a pre release page which puts any gamers that start early on that leaderboard, then on the day of release add another game page for the full release that gamers only get out on if they started the game on or after the official release date. Just food for thought.
    This seems like the most logical solution, thereby not denying anyone their position, but adding that caveat. Like on Steam, reviews for Early Access are tagged, as are reviews made by those who received the product for free, helping others get a clearer picture when viewing those reviews.
    Posted on 01 March 21 at 12:24
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    bigsmok3r said:

To double down on my comment, I dont think TA should cater to the users that take achievement hunting to the nth extreme. What do I mean by this?

Obsessing over 1st on EVERY leaderboards or something like having an account solely to have "100%" completion on all games is a bit much. Ive seen some super odd behavior on this site lol I hope Im not saying anything "shocking" though and Im not trying to pick on anyone in particular. Its all in the name of "dude, settle down a tiny bit".

Alas, if this site had a downvote comment feature, Im sure id be in the pits by now.
    I did just say similar in my last post, but to reply to you; not everyone wants to play games the way that you do. As their gaming habits don't impact you, why are you trying to stop them from doing what they wish? Personally, I couldn't care less about fast completions, I barely care all that much about 100 percenting everything, but that doesn't mean everyone has to play the way I play. I hate sports games, doesn't mean I begrudge anyone else from playing them! Why should I? It does me no harm, doesn't impact the way I play. So why are you hassling these guys? I don't understand!

You say achievements ruined everything, but it's nonsense. I don't know how old you are, mate, but if you ever read the old gaming magazines, they had whole sections dedicated to gaming records, they even had leaderboards in them! Friend of mine used to try to get fastest times in racing games when we were kids, recorded himself and sent his videos into the magazine. He even got in that hallowed first place more than once. The desire has been there long, long before achievements.

Again, I don't care for it. It doesn't seem fun to me. But he enjoyed that sense of accomplishment. Just as someone feels success in painting something. It's no masterpiece for museums, but it doesn't mean they don't feel some sense of achievement (ha) nevertheless. Some people feel a sense of accomplishment just tidying their house even! Why would you put them down for doing what they like?
  • Posted on 01 March 21 at 16:33
    will be an easy 9K Gamerscore from this week's releases :)
    Posted on 02 March 21 at 16:52
    thebritt2001 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    bigsmok3r said:

I did just say similar in my last post, but to reply to you; not everyone wants to play games the way that you do. As their gaming habits don't impact you, why are you trying to stop them from doing what they wish? Personally, I couldn't care less about fast completions, I barely care all that much about 100 percenting everything, but that doesn't mean everyone has to play the way I play. I hate sports games, doesn't mean I begrudge anyone else from playing them! Why should I? It does me no harm, doesn't impact the way I play. So why are you hassling these guys? I don't understand!

You say achievements ruined everything, but it's nonsense. I don't know how old you are, mate, but if you ever read the old gaming magazines, they had whole sections dedicated to gaming records, they even had leaderboards in them! Friend of mine used to try to get fastest times in racing games when we were kids, recorded himself and sent his videos into the magazine. He even got in that hallowed first place more than once. The desire has been there long, long before achievements.

Again, I don't care for it. It doesn't seem fun to me. But he enjoyed that sense of accomplishment. Just as someone feels success in painting something. It's no masterpiece for museums, but it doesn't mean they don't feel some sense of achievement (ha) nevertheless. Some people feel a sense of accomplishment just tidying their house even! Why would you put them down for doing what they like?
    You Sir, Are a Gent and I wish I could get my words out like you, Thank you for putting it so clearly. toast
    Posted on 02 March 21 at 16:52
    thebritt2001 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    bigsmok3r said:

This too hahatoast
    Posted on 03 March 21 at 09:50
    bigsmok3r said:
    You Sir, Are a Gent and I wish I could get my words out like you, Thank you for putting it so clearly. toast
    You're welcome. Tale as old as time, everyone thinks that their way is the correct way and they look down on others because of the way they choose to enjoy themselves. Honestly, I don't think these fellas are being deliberately selfish, I think they're just not thinking it through. I just hope TA sort out the leaderboards for you guys.
    Posted on 03 March 21 at 14:19
    bigsmok3r said:
    thebritt2001 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    bigsmok3r said:

This too hahatoast
    If you wanna compare competing in competitions for like Pac-Man, or 'World First' which has been done in WoW and other MMO's to getting the first 100% in a game for achievement then I see a bit of a stretch.

If the people who got the 100% in the number one spot got it via legitimate means, then dont they deserve to get spot 1? Because a release date hasnt passed? What if the dev wanted them to have early access?

If you think its illegitimate, the site has a system to report people... So see how that goes? If TA Investigations finds something, I bet they are removed from the leader board.

Also, if you think the "Leaderboard for when the first day the game is made available, Put it in as a feature request, but know there are numerous ways to a game can come out before then. Region locks are a thing too so NA could get a game before JA or EU or any other combo.

I side with giving people goals, but they shouldnt complain when the goal they set for themselves is logically impossible. The people who have unlocked the achievements have done so 100% legit if they have no been reported and found guilty of foulplay but the mods.

Achievements have ruined the approach I personally have for games and Im sure it has too even for people who dont admit it. I like a decent goal but a number increasing can be a curse sometimes too.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,257
    Posted on 03 March 21 at 17:20
    SnappleBack said:
    NannerLoaf said:
    Take my money Xitilon, its yours.
    Beware, the Xitilon title is not as easy as it used to be. In face, this game is close to nothing but RNG to complete. Would not recommended buying this one. I got lucky and popped most of the achievements, submitted a refund, and got my money back. Completing the game is literally just an crappy RNG mechanic with even worse gameplay mechanics.
    Castle of no Escape (Win 10) is not going to get GOTY but much of the criticism levied against it fails to understand what the game is and what it is not. The game was released in 2017 on Steam but could also be obtained as a free download from Xitilon's site. There were no achievements. Let me repeat. Most of the discussion in TA obsesses over the game's achievements. This is natural because TA is an achievement site. However, the game was designed as a no achievement game.

If it wasn't an achievement game, what was it? The developers (Xitilon & Esdeer) stated it was a remake of the DOS game Leygref's Castle. Leygref's Castle, in turn, was a remake of the text adventure, Wizard's Castle. It used DOS character graphics to create an 8X8 room map to graphically represent the text in Wizard's Castle. The game targeted old geezers like me with a retro trip down memory lane.

Wizard's Castle and Legref's Castle are both well known among older gamers. Neither one is considered a crappy game. You are entitled to your opinion but I think your characterization of the RNG mechanic and gameplay in Castle of no Escape (Win 10) as crappy applies modern day perspectives on a retro game that replicates 30-40 year old technology.

Whereas your opinion is subjective and you are entitled to it, your comment that "this game is close to nothing but RNG to complete" is incorrect. The contents in each room--chest, enemy, flare, etc.--take a split second to activate. So, whereas the castle in RNG generated and unique each time, it is possible to map it out without dying by moving to a new square and immediately moving back to the square you came from. Once safely back, you can then decide whether or not to enter the room proper. Some actions, like opening chests, are risky but you can make an informed choice. The strategy I apply is to map as much of the castle as possible before embarking on risky ventures.

The achievement saga is unfortunate. Based on feedback, Xitilon decided to change the console achievements in the game. Since the game was originally intended as a no achievement game, his first list was not very appealing and he wanted to make them better. The second list was very appealing to pure GamerScore & achievement hunters but ran afoul of Microsoft policy. So the achievements are back to where they were.

There is a lot wrong with the game. But you have a hard-working developer who isn't making boat loads of cash who started out to give a niche group a bit of nostalgia. He still offers the original Windows game without achievements as a free download from his site. I don't want to be discourteous but what I really find wrong is a statement like this, "I got lucky and popped most of the achievements, submitted a refund, and got my money back."
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.