Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Who should Microsoft buy next, and why is it Konami?

• Posted on 10 March 21 at 20:57
    A Japanese publisher and developer with a storied legacy and dozens of lucrative IPs under its belt... where better for Microsoft to throw a few (billion) dollars than in Konami's direction?

Please click here to read the full story: Who should Microsoft buy next, and why is it Konami?
  • Clever JakeClever Jake719,774
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 20:57
    Hi all,

We wanted to take a moment to remind everyone about our Forum Policy. Please take a moment to review it.

We want to encourage a healthy discussion that includes a wide array of opinions. If you can communicate your opinion in a civil manner that complies with our updated policy, we will never moderate those posts.

If your post is deleted, this is the result of violating our forum policy. Your post was not communicated in a civil fashion. It has no bearing on the opinion you are trying to convey.

Thanks for understanding.
  • Posted on 10 March 21 at 20:58
    They should yolo it and buy Sony
  • Termentir725Termentir725225,382
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:00
    An amazing article and a fun read! Thank you for posting!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:00
    Silent Hill pachinko machines funded by Microsoft? Sold! Make it happen!
  • THE VITTLERTHE VITTLER475,457
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:01
    Strong rumours going around about Kojima, would love that to be true.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:03
    Clever Jake said:
    Hi all,

We wanted to take a moment to remind everyone about our Forum Policy. Please take a moment to review it.

We want to encourage a healthy discussion that includes a wide array of opinions. If you can communicate your opinion in a civil manner that complies with our updated policy, we will never moderate those posts.

If your post is deleted, this is the result of violating our forum policy. Your post was not communicated in a civil fashion. It has no bearing on the opinion you are trying to convey.

Thanks for understanding.
    Thanks you for make this website better computetoast
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:03
    THE VITTLER said:
    Strong rumours going around about Kojima, would love that to be true.
    That guy is incredibly wacky haha, but his games are a damn wonder
  • The SCHWARTZ 00The SCHWARTZ 001,100,865
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:04
    DarkDragonEye7 said:
    Right, just skip all the extra steps and take out the competition. It would be much cheaper in the long run instead of buying out every developer in existence eventually. I know it's not gonna happen, but dreamers can dream.
    Two thangs I hate, liars and thieves, they make my blood boil - Andre Ben, "Wheels Of Steel"
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:05
    I doubt very much that Microsoft will buy more, I don't know about numbers and I'm not a smart guy, but I suppose they will do something with the acquisitions of the past days. If he buys more, it could be a monopoly and thus become obliged to sell brands?
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion911,541
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:06
    Last year, there was the rumor about MS buying WB Studios. That'd be cool too. Both publishers (Konami and WB) have some great IPs.
    This comment has been approved by Boots Orion.
  • Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:06
    The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
    DarkDragonEye7 said:
    Right, just skip all the extra steps and take out the competition. It would be much cheaper in the long run instead of buying out every developer in existence eventually. I know it's not gonna happen, but dreamers can dream.
    I was joking lol, I doubt competition laws would even allow such a merger
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,403,519
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:08
    Rumours of Microsoft being in talks with Japanese studios popped up soon after the Bethesda news broke, but were promptly snuffed out...
    I think you're underselling that by a basically a decade, there's been rumors about Microsoft buying a major Japanese industry player all the way back to the Xbox 360 era laugh
  • HallinskioiHallinskioi392,850
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:08, Edited on 10 March 21 at 21:12 by Hallinskioi
    I'm going to have to hard disagree with you there. I know Konami have kind of fallen off the merry-go-round as of late but the reason we've had some cracking games from them and others in the past 30 years is because we've had a plethora of publishers constantly trying to create the next juggernaut. Allowing companies to keep buying each other up is going to stifle innovation and decrease user choice.

I feel MS only bought Bethesda because they know their own first party offerings in the Xbox One generation were lacking. Instead a better use of their money should be focusing on the studios they do own and let them create rather than put out 'meh' games.

Edit: Just to expand on the 'meh' games, Ive felt that this past gen MS have been trend chasers rather than the setters they were with the 360.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,728,907
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:11
    LOL, there is literally no way in the universe a Sony Interactive acquisition would get past competition regulators.

I think Konami and/or Sega would be very smart acquisitions by Microsoft.
  • oslo2oslo2144,533
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:14
    Too good to be true... Microsoft buying Konami, Kojima returns and has all the budget to make the games his way... Metal Gear Solid 6... Utopia, it's sad it's never going to happen
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:19
    EA since PSN don't care EA games
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:22
    Nah nah nah. Not konami. Not even sega.

Capcom please, then Ubisoft.
    FRAG'EM ALL
  • JKSullivanJKSullivan954,881
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:26
    I can't really think of any Konami IPs that I'm just dying to play, so for me I'd rather see them put those funds into the IPs and studios they already own.

But major props to Luke for the Tap reference :)
  • EveryBaseEveryBase459,211
    Posted on 10 March 21 at 21:26, Edited on 10 March 21 at 21:30 by EveryBase
    God could you imagine how salty the Playstation community would get is MS owned Metal Gear? laugh

I would like them to buy WB personally Owning Batman and Co plus Lord of the Rings and HarryPotter licenses and ya know my favorite those cute Lego games. You know you would love a Lego Halo as much as I would.

But I think their smartest move besides Konami would be either Capcom, FromSoft or Sega like you said to get that foothold in the one market that ignores XBox the most.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.