Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Who should Microsoft buy next, and why is it Konami?

• Sigmar BlessSigmar Bless1,338,841
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 12:24
    One metal gear survive win 10 stack plz
  • Posted on 11 March 21 at 12:39
    As much as I’d love to see Microsoft backed remakes/sequels to Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill, I’d also be afraid of Sony trying to pull something and buy a company like TakeTwo and then make Grand Theft Auto exclusive to PlayStation.

As fun an idea as having some huge titles exclusive to Xbox and PC, there is also the counter of losing great franchises to a Sony exclusivity.
  • foodfood113,685
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 12:54
    Wow, uh... I can't say that I particularly liked this article format. The premise is interesting and will no doubt continue to be discussed as MS continues to acquire studios.

However, a few suggestions regarding the editorial content of this article:

Hyperbole: I feel there's entire to much hyperbole. Too many flavor words, too many "Can you imagine," and "you cowards!". A little fun in an article is welcome, but this read more like a YouTube video script and less like a professional long form article.

Length : Too long, full stop. Things could have been much more brief. Explain a few franchises that would be a good acquisition, why this could or could not happen, and move on. The part speculating about Sega was not needed-- let that come organically in the comments. Keeping your opinion succinct, researched, and informative keeps the readers attention.
  • Lord AzureLord Azure1,098,552
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 13:16
    I know i'm only one wallet, but I will pay Microsoft now for every Koie Tecmo port of the musou games we haven't had, in cash, right now.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 March 21 at 13:34
    This was an excellent read. Thank you for posting and I love this style of article.
  • Posted on 11 March 21 at 13:45
    Its a toss up between Sega and Konami.. They need a strong Japanese presence moving forward and that move would help.
  • dlCHIEF58dlCHIEF58477,607
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 14:23
    Nah, Konami is not a good fit for Microsoft. Sega is a much better option as it has studios and IPs that would immediately fill two genres they currently do not have internal studios to fulfill - family and strategy. And it gives them a Japanese presence. I actually see this as a definite possibility some time in the near future, especially given the close relationship they have had with Microsoft over the years.
    And "Nice guys finish last". You're not the only one that can throw platitudes around.
  • drewblesdrewbles323,224
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 14:28
    Think they should buy the team behind Sleeping dogs. We have plenty of RPGs, racers, shooters etc but not exactly many GTA style games that stands out (not including Watchdogs) Just think for a second if this was a series of games released every 3-4 years. New city everytime, new character, the main theme is them working both sides, so uncover is some aspect of the game, this way you get to play both sides of a story rather than always being good or bad. GTA seems limited to the States pretty much where this could go anywhere in the world. Change the fighting style to those areas. You could do one in Australia, Birmingham, England which could have themes of Peaky blinders but set in modern day, endless ideas you could do
  • Sonic6LSonic6L210,515
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 14:59
    Wish MS bought Codemasters.
  • R4Z1R4Z1137,203
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 16:15
    MS doesnt need to buy whole company... just rights to publishing they games.... i would be so happy
  • Posted on 11 March 21 at 16:29
    R4Z1 said:
    MS doesnt need to buy whole company... just rights to publishing they games.... i would be so happy
    I don't know if publishing rights would be enough since Konami would still have to actually make games, which is apparently not something they want to do anymore. MS would need to outright buy the franchises from Konami and then parse them out to already established studios, which would be much cheaper than buying the company as a whole.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76616,973
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 16:30
    TinCannEd said:
    They need to learn to actually make games first. WIth alll these companies they have bought, they have practically produced NOTHING from them. WHY buy them, if you are not going to do anything with them.....
    Major titles take many years to develop. I think there's already enough 8-bit garbage churned out overnight, without MS getting in on it.
  • NeoInTransitNeoInTransit524,615
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 17:19
    The article makes a compelling case, however I am against gigantic mega corporations becoming even more gigantic by swallowing up smaller entities. Konami of today may be bollocks compared to to their former selves, but I prefer competition being spread out over multiple publishers instead of having more and more of them being gobbled by the platform owners.
  • ShakasoShakaso874,760
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 18:19
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    Nah, Konami is not a good fit for Microsoft. Sega is a much better option as it has studios and IPs that would immediately fill two genres they currently do not have internal studios to fulfill - family and strategy. And it gives them a Japanese presence. I actually see this as a definite possibility some time in the near future, especially given the close relationship they have had with Microsoft over the years.
    I think Sega would be a better fit too ,however they fit better for JRPG´s instead of Family games (look at there more recent output).
  • Kaji AF16Kaji AF16966,943
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 18:23
    No, not Konami. Most of its once glorious IPs are shells of their former selves, including Metal Gear, which probaby doesn´t have much of a future without Kojima.

Sega is a much better fit.
  • ghostdeep88ghostdeep88689,844
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 19:46
    Who cares? They’ll either make a c**t of it or do nothing with it like they usually do
  • Posted on 11 March 21 at 19:54
    Buy Konami and Capcom. Give me Metal Gear and Resident Evil. Those are my two favorite franchises.

Also, not sure who told the author that the Japan was "the market that single-handedly made Sony's delightfully dinky PlayStation Portable a viable format" but the PSP did very well in the US. It just didn't do ludicrously well like the DS did.
    #1 Resident Evil Fan.
  • XerostomiaXerostomia1,030,002
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 20:16
    I think the real next direction is continued improvement in the digital distribution of games. To me the ideal buy target is Valve (and in turn get Steam). That would solidify their foothold in the PC market, and make for a seamless integration of gamepass on Steam. The target market would be enormous.

Also, if by chance Valve decides to make the next half life or left for dead game, that would be also part of MS studios as a bonus.

I also think the next step is to convince UB Soft to join Gamepass as well. I think if EA is happy with the platform it could nudge other publishers to do the same, especially if they can include the Steam market.
  • Posted on 11 March 21 at 20:57
    Kaji AF16 said:
    No, not Konami. Most of its once glorious IPs are shells of their former selves, including Metal Gear, which probaby doesn´t have much of a future without Kojima.

Sega is a much better fit.
    Really?!
    Kojima is overrated.
    He used to make decent games, but then became self indulgent.
    Just look at the unfinished mess that is Metal Gear Solid 5 and the glorified walking sim that is Death Stranding.

Kojima doesn’t want to make games.
    He wants to make convoluted “art” that only he understands, and to hang out with famous actors.

Kojima can continue to make his artsy fartsy nonsense while more talented developers create real games.
  • DaedricWolfDaedricWolf187,411
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 22:02
    From Software
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.