Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Who should Microsoft buy next, and why is it Konami?

• Vokul VeganVokul Vegan326,220
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 22:22, Edited on 11 March 21 at 22:23 by Vokul Vegan
    DarkDragonEye7 said:
    They should yolo it and buy Sony
    I am in agreeance. laugh
    Stay Frosty
  • BonkekookBonkekook1,946,308
    Posted on 11 March 21 at 23:08
    SiNNeR HeReTiC said:
    This article is purely nostalgia driven. Buying Konami would be a big waste of money. People over estimate how good their ips are. Paying billions of dollars to get a few dead franchises with no studios behind would be one of the worst investment in MS history.
    Depends on what price they got it at, but generally I agree. Konami didn't care about long-term investments as far as creating new IPs and games. Silent Hill, MGS, Castlevania all are great in terms of older games, but the last few Silent Hill games weren't great, and the creators of Castlevania and MGS left. Even getting those original minds back (who knows if they'd leave their current projects as it is), you're trying to revive dead franchises that recent installments may have soured the public's view of.

That's a LOT of risk to take at the article's quoted price for Konami. It just doesn't make sense.

At least SEGA has a few gaming franchises that are currently popular and making money.

Honestly, I'm not sure there are a lot of big acquisitions left that make good business sense for Microsoft.
  • EurydaceEurydace601,936
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 01:33
    Notorious M1KE said:
    Eurydace said:
    4. Microsoft doesn't need or want PES. Microsoft has a vested interest in FIFA doing well, actually. Since Game Pass has EA Play integrated into it, Microsoft benefits from FIFA being the only game on the market for that sport. If Microsoft tried to revive PES, it would be hurting its business partner and damaging its other investments.
    The last 3 editions of PES have been added to Game Pass, so I don't know that that's true.
    True. But there's a difference between adding the game to the service and actively developing a game as a competitor to one you're already paying for.
  • BioMegaBearBioMegaBear225,559
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 02:41
    Ok uh Albigés you got the right idea but...Konami is bigger than just a video game publisher, its common knowledge but they run ALOT of companies. One of which is health insurance so buying ALL of that would be too much money. BUT the IP rights to their games would be a good call and I think thats what you mean
  • ltjordan24ltjordan24120,731
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 03:49
    DarkDragonEye7 said:
    They should yolo it and buy Sony
    At the end of the Microsoft 2021 Games Showcase, the lights go down for just a second and Phil Spencer clears his throat, "One more thing. We'd like to welcome Sony Interactive Entertainment to the Xbox family of game studios."laugh
  • xMistopherxMistopher97,239
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 05:45
    Really enjoyed this kind of content - would love to see more of this in the future.

Not sure where you got that valuation from? Clearly they aren't anywhere near the same value as Bethesda. Nevertheless, some good and interesting points raised
  • SnakeWeskerSnakeWesker131,024
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 06:39
    Whether it be Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft, for the love of all things holy someone convince Konami to at least license their IP's. If you had told me twenty years ago that we would someday live in a world that didn't see regular updates from the Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid, and Silent Hill franchises, I would have thought you were nuts.
  • IcedoveIcedove308,628
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 08:20
    Konami does not make sense at all. Maybe they can buy their licenses. The company is no longer a game company. Their last (non-football) game has been a while. All talented developers and designers (like Kojima) are gone.
  • segagamersegagamer538,815 538,815 GamerScore
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 10:01
    Either Konami or SEGA, but I do hope SEGA.

¿Por que no los dos?
  • GoldrunGoldrun426,704
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 10:46
    Great article, and i love the conversation it triggers, but no way it would ever happen.
    - MS needs Devs teams, not IP. MS already own IP they are not using (remenber they own Rare, and now Bethesda, and so many more). In the past, it tooks them ages before they start doing something with battletoads (and that was not great) or Perfect Dark (we will wee). They don't need new IP alone, but inspired dev team that can build new IP or rebuild old one. Konami, right now, does not have any A rank dev team availlable. They all left when Konami shift focus (and with Kojima departure).
    - Today, if Konami would start a conversation on an acquisition, they would set their own value based on all their non Video Game activity. At the same time, Microsoft would start the conversation only thinking about the video games assets. No way this 2 points of view can align.
    - If Ms buy Konami, they would then fire 90% of workforce because they are not part of Video games industry ? And that would come with no financial or image cost ?
    - Konami is now an empty shell for video games. Metal Gear means nothing without Kojima leading it. Castelvania is a Brand that has move to be a genra. Each year, there are tons of games not labbeled "Castelvania" that are actually doing better than the old ones. Konami has lost its magical touch.
  • SemocliveSemoclive292,813
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 12:11
    Just buy Nintendo guys come on toast
  • BrutalPandaXBrutalPandaX132,983
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 15:09, Edited on 12 March 21 at 15:13 by BrutalPandaX
    CRZYSPZ said:
    BrutalPandaX said:
    They are not going to buy Konami in full. Konami is worth tons of money and most of it is not from games revenue. They might buy their IP, but that would be overkill. MS needs to do something with what they already bought instead of blindly throwing money around.
    They’re not blindly throwing money around. They’re working investing in Game Pass growth. It’s only going to get more expensive to buy these companies the longer Xbox waits, especially if Tencent and Amazon get involved.
    I agree the competition is getting intense but since they have acquired all these studios and made their first announcement years ago, I think at E3 2018 it was, they have not proven what all of this investment is for aside from merely advertisement. Grounded and Bleeding Edge are the only released games to be exclusive to the Xbox platform that came from all of these acquisitions so far I think. Them buying these companies is most of their budget for a long time. There is also the cost of making games and that includes cancelling some internally. Sure it can have 20+ game studios but then it needs budget to deliver new products, not just throw old games onto Game Pass. The more studios they just buy outright the more unforeseen issues they are going to come across such as the possibility of some of these studios just not delivering what was expected. They need to stop investing more in buyouts and start investing in making new products. Everything Microsoft is doing seems promising but it's going to take a lot longer to manifest itself than people realize and than Microsoft makes it out to be. I don't think they are going to be in full swing until 2023-24 at the earliest which is already halfway into Series X lifecycle.
  • KnoellKnoell405,104
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 15:25
    BrutalPandaX said:
    CRZYSPZ said:
    BrutalPandaX said:
    They are not going to buy Konami in full. Konami is worth tons of money and most of it is not from games revenue. They might buy their IP, but that would be overkill. MS needs to do something with what they already bought instead of blindly throwing money around.
    They’re not blindly throwing money around. They’re working investing in Game Pass growth. It’s only going to get more expensive to buy these companies the longer Xbox waits, especially if Tencent and Amazon get involved.
    I agree the competition is getting intense but since they have acquired all these studios and made their first announcement years ago, I think at E3 2018 it was, they have not proven what all of this investment is for aside from merely advertisement. Grounded and Bleeding Edge are the only released games to be exclusive to the Xbox platform that came from all of these acquisitions so far I think. Them buying these companies is most of their budget for a long time. There is also the cost of making games and that includes cancelling some internally. Sure it can have 20+ game studios but then it needs budget to deliver new products, not just throw old games onto Game Pass. The more studios they just buy outright the more unforeseen issues they are going to come across such as the possibility of some of these studios just not delivering what was expected. They need to stop investing more in buyouts and start investing in making new products. Everything Microsoft is doing seems promising but it's going to take a lot longer to manifest itself than people realize and than Microsoft makes it out to be. I don't think they are going to be in full swing until 2023-24 at the earliest which is already halfway into Series X lifecycle.
    Its not the budget they ran out of. It is development time for the games that is what's taking time.

You really think they bought all of those studios and are waiting for a renewed 2022 budget to start working on anything for them to release? Yeah right.
  • Posted on 12 March 21 at 16:02
    Square Enix & Sega...

It would be a wild time to actually see a Square Enix title get marketed correctly in the US... Or marketed at all.
  • Posted on 12 March 21 at 16:29
    Buying Konami would be reviving a mummy. So many great franchises, but most have either concluded satisfactory or kinda fell off. Silent Hill is the main one that would return if they were to buy Konami, but business-wise, aren't Konami exclusively in the slot machine business in Japan? Seems so weird.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,278
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 19:35
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    GRAND NOBLE said:
    If Konami is purchased, you're just buying the rights to names of games. Nothing more. I would be surprised if Konami was actually worth 1 billion. I could not see them being purchased for even that much.
    Purely on the gaming side, I’d be inclined to agree. But as I do explain later in the piece, there’s loads more to Konami’s umbrella group than just games (almost 20 individual companies), and that explains the much higher valuation.
    Also no reason why Konami couldn't divest the console gaming studios/IP and keep mobile/pachinko/etc.
  • OvapositorOvapositor168,743
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 20:16
    Good article. I too wish for more new games with Konami IPs.
  • Posted on 12 March 21 at 22:06
    WTF? No, they just bought an entire Triple-A Studio Bethesda. They took literally 8 Legacy Title IP's that were known to be Third Party for the past 10-15 years. Now you want Konami? This is a straight-up Monopoly, and gonna set a bad example for the gaming industry. How about Microsoft focus on building their own titles. Halo has gone to shit, Gear's isn't the same. Only Forza has remained strong. It's only a matter of time before they ruin that franchise also. Instead of focusing their money on buying studios and on game pass. Use that money to invest in quality workers that can help shape their Ip's to be game of the year contenders.

Microsoft can have all the money in the world, but if you don't have a great creative team, they will forever remain in Sony's Shadow.
  • TromWarriorTromWarrior166,469
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 22:47
    I'm sure someone has already brought this up, but there's two other layers to buying either Konami or Sega that weren't brought up in the article. For Konami, the acquisition would include Hudson Soft and Bemani, which would give Microsoft Adventure Island, Bomberman, Bonk, Star Soldier, and so many rhythm games like Dance Dance Revolution. For Sega, the acquisition would also include Atlus, bringing with it Shin Megami Tensei (and Persona), Growlanser, Trauma Center, and excellent one-offs like Catherine and Radiant Historia.
  • BANDIT 440BANDIT 440344,263
    Posted on 12 March 21 at 22:58
    I feel Deep Silver would be a good bet. I would say a cheaper acquisitions compared to many larger companies while boasting a large catalog of cult hits. Metro, Dead Island, Wasteland, Saint's Row to name a few of the more notable series. Then these would make more permanent Game Pass additions instead of being partials or rotating on and off. Imagine the Metro series with that Microsoft Muh-muh-money behind it.

Really I wish they'd just use the Bethesda buy as leverage to negotiate a peace treaty over the console specific exclusives. These year long hold outs are getting tiresome. Yeah I'm exclusively Xbox/PC but I own plenty of Sony electronics. Stop punishing me when I have a 55 inch Bravia for crying out loud. You all get my money.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.