Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Who should Microsoft buy next, and why is it Konami?

• OhhJustBQOhhJustBQ740,014
    Posted on 13 March 21 at 02:39
    if Microsoft were to acquire Konami
    they could do a deal with getting the games and leaving Konami to run the pachinko machines they love so much
    they could even loan Konami some microsoft properties to make more pachinko machines to further expose microsoft to the Japanese people
    sadly while i bought it a while ago i only started last month so idk
    Posted on 13 March 21 at 02:42
    BANDIT 440 said:
    I feel Deep Silver would be a good bet. I would say a cheaper acquisitions compared to many larger companies while boasting a large catalog of cult hits. Metro, Dead Island, Wasteland, Saint's Row to name a few of the more notable series. Then these would make more permanent Game Pass additions instead of being partials or rotating on and off. Imagine the Metro series with that Microsoft Muh-muh-money behind it.

Really I wish they'd just use the Bethesda buy as leverage to negotiate a peace treaty over the console specific exclusives. These year long hold outs are getting tiresome. Yeah I'm exclusively Xbox/PC but I own plenty of Sony electronics. Stop punishing me when I have a 55 inch Bravia for crying out loud. You all get my money.
    isnt deep silver owned by embracer group ?
    if so dont think that will happen
    sadly while i bought it a while ago i only started last month so idk
  • BANDIT 440BANDIT 440344,097
    Posted on 13 March 21 at 02:54, Edited on 13 March 21 at 02:54 by BANDIT 440
    OhhJustBQ said:
    BANDIT 440 said:
    I feel Deep Silver would be a good bet. I would say a cheaper acquisitions compared to many larger companies while boasting a large catalog of cult hits. Metro, Dead Island, Wasteland, Saint's Row to name a few of the more notable series. Then these would make more permanent Game Pass additions instead of being partials or rotating on and off. Imagine the Metro series with that Microsoft Muh-muh-money behind it.

Really I wish they'd just use the Bethesda buy as leverage to negotiate a peace treaty over the console specific exclusives. These year long hold outs are getting tiresome. Yeah I'm exclusively Xbox/PC but I own plenty of Sony electronics. Stop punishing me when I have a 55 inch Bravia for crying out loud. You all get my money.
    You can buy a division of a business you don't have to buy the whole corporate chain.
    Posted on 13 March 21 at 02:57, Edited on 13 March 21 at 02:57 by OhhJustBQ
    BANDIT 440 said:
    OhhJustBQ said:
    BANDIT 440 said:

You can buy a division of a business you don't have to buy the whole corporate chain.
    maybe but man embracer group is trying to be the gaming monopoly
    doubt they would sell anything
  • AzureCometAzureComet219,674
    Posted on 13 March 21 at 03:20
    Square Enix
  • Posted on 13 March 21 at 20:24
    i want good video games to be made
  • bennjjeebennjjee426,260
    Posted on 14 March 21 at 08:17
    What a great article. More of this kind of thing for the site please?! smile
  • Kaede393Kaede393256,872
    Posted on 15 March 21 at 02:11
    A lot of daydreaming here
  • BrutalPandaXBrutalPandaX131,746
    Posted on 17 March 21 at 01:33
    Knoell said:
    Its not the budget they ran out of. It is development time for the games that is what's taking time.

You really think they bought all of those studios and are waiting for a renewed 2022 budget to start working on anything for them to release? Yeah right.
    Not sure if you know how corporate development works but yes, they have an allotted annual budget. They don't get unlimited budget. Over the past 5-6 years Xbox has been using or saving their annual budgets for the purchase of game studios and development of Game Pass. This led to smaller budget left over for actual games, that is why they were notorious the entire last gen and still continuing into this gen for lacking exclusives. Their strategy with the leftover budget was to satiate fans with competitive OS features like backwards compatibility and stronger performance meanwhile prop up smaller budgeted games (Ori, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, etc.). If one of those smaller budgeted games succeeded they would use some of the budget to scale the game up over time (Sea of Thieves, SoD2) or make a sequel (Ori 2), if not then they quickly seize development on future content (Crackdown 3, Bleeding Edge). Essentially, team Xbox "saved up" its allowance and just recently spent majority of it. There is no point for it to acquire Konami or any other developers at this point without showing what they are even acquiring developers for. If they do then it is obvious their largest intent is to secure IP so nobody else gets them rather than actually do anything with them in the current moment.
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE424,792
    Posted on 17 March 21 at 18:22
    Eurydace said:
    I don't agree with this article. I don't think this at all fits with Microsoft's current goals and I don't think it would be a good buy even if it did. Just some rough thoughts:

1. Konami has little to no development studios. Microsoft isn't running around buying IPs, it's buying studios (if they come with IPs, great, but clearly that's not priority #1).

2. Konami's value is not derived from the IPs it has. Rather, it's all the other businesses. You brought this up saying that diversification is good, but that's not necessarily true. Microsoft has no expertise in running any of Konami's primary businesses nor has the company shown any desire in running those types of businesses. Even if it wanted to, Konami may not be the best way to break into those industries. Diversification is good for your personal investments. It's not necessarily good for companies and that's why you'll often see companies do not diversify. When they do, they diversify into related fields. For Microsoft, the Xbox division is diversification. Microsoft doesn't need the Xbox division to be a jack of all trades, it needs it to be good at one thing.

3. Since the only value in Konami is the IPs it owns, Microsoft could just buy the IPs for much cheaper. That said, those IPs are likely extremely over-valued which is why no one has purchased them yet (assuming Konami is even willing to sell). A lot of these franchises, like Contra and Frogger and even Castlevania, are probably worth a lot but aren't the type of IPs that will be attractive to most potential Game Pass consumers.

4. Microsoft doesn't need or want PES. Microsoft has a vested interest in FIFA doing well, actually. Since Game Pass has EA Play integrated into it, Microsoft benefits from FIFA being the only game on the market for that sport. If Microsoft tried to revive PES, it would be hurting its business partner and damaging its other investments.

5. Konami is a publicly-traded company. Assuming your valuation of 8-9B is right for Konami, Microsoft would need to pay significantly more for it to actually take it over. And that assumes the shareholders actually want to sell -- a hostile takeover would be even more expensive and would damage internal relationships that Microsoft needs.

6. Microsoft's currently trying to follow a Netflix model, not an HBO model. It doesn't need prestige AAA titles all the time like Metal Gear. It needs more and more and more games. It needs a first party, AA game every month. You could buy a great many studios to help you get there for $10B or more. Konami's value is simply in all the wrong places.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this!
    THIS. Eury said this much better than I did, but THIS is my point.
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
    Posted on 17 March 21 at 18:25
    Dutch x Monster said:
    GRAND NOBLE said:
    I actually really like your articles, but I stopped reading at "Konami is worth 6-9 billion"

Sorry but Bethesda was worth 2x the amount of THE STARS WARS FRANCHISE, because of so many factors - but the key one that Bethesda has, that Konami does-not-bring-to-the-table is an active thriving development team.

If Konami is purchased, you're just buying the rights to names of games. Nothing more. I would be surprised if Konami was actually worth 1 billion. I could not see them being purchased for even that much.
    You really forget 2 things, Konami is huge in the Japanese Gambling scene with slots, pachinko etc and runs one of the most succesful tabletop TCG’s Yu-Gi-Oh! Which in both cases can be really profitable aswell for MS but also is valued in the total gross value of the company
    Konami wouldn't sell their other assets and business ventures.
    This is about video games.

Reversely, Microsoft wouldn't buy their other assets and business ventures.
    Their current business model is about GAMES FOR GAME PASS. Not simply buying companies that have something to do with gaming/gambling.

So I stick by what I said. This makes no sense as a purchase, for either side. ANY deal (if any) would be about the video-game-IPS... but microsoft doesn't want IPs, it wants ACTIVE STUDIOS to make games.
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
    Posted on 17 March 21 at 18:28
    The Globalizer said:
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    GRAND NOBLE said:
    If Konami is purchased, you're just buying the rights to names of games. Nothing more. I would be surprised if Konami was actually worth 1 billion. I could not see them being purchased for even that much.
    Purely on the gaming side, I’d be inclined to agree. But as I do explain later in the piece, there’s loads more to Konami’s umbrella group than just games (almost 20 individual companies), and that explains the much higher valuation.
    Also no reason why Konami couldn't divest the console gaming studios/IP and keep mobile/pachinko/etc.
    Name 1 example so far where Microsoft/Xbox has gone around buying IPs?
    Doesn't exist in their current plan.

They want STUDIOS, with EMPLOYEES, who MAKE GAMES. A games-divested-Konami doesn't have that. They just have IPs.

This is a non starter.
  • Ganon255Ganon255349,107
    Posted on 18 March 21 at 01:20
    Castlevania-Souls
    Praise the Sun!
  • wildwest08wildwest081,446,773
    Posted on 19 March 21 at 04:35
    WB games would be at the top of my list
  • Posted on 23 April 21 at 18:47
    It would great great for Sega + Capcom, to release all the older games like Marvel vs Capcom Series, maybe Dreamcast games (LoL) work on the Xbox's.
  • DD91DD91550,625
    Posted on 26 April 21 at 15:47
    Capcom for me. Too many to think of but it'll be the last one on my mind. Acquisitions for MS is a good day for me regardless.
    Day 1 Gears of War player. Seriously achievement April 2007.
  • SorenXSorenX685,082
    Posted on 29 April 21 at 10:36, Edited on 29 April 21 at 10:37 by SorenX
    im dyin for remasters with cheevos for the 3d castlevania games of yesteryear, Silent hill games and metal gear. never got to finish: hybrid heaven, shadow of memories/destiny interesting concepts also worth a remaster i think. i hope Xbox acquires Konami and/or Sega. i am a huge Silent Hill & Persona fan and they deserve to be on Xbox for players who are interested to experience. p.s. zone of enders is also good :)
  • Blue RadiumBlue Radium986,740
    Posted on 01 September 21 at 01:59
    Xbox would definitely let Kojima go max-Kojima without hesitation. Would love to see what a Microsoft-funded Metal Gear and Silent Hill looks like. It'd be the killing blow in Game Pass's steady path to world domination.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.