Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Yakuza games will be turn-based RPGs going forward, says Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

• CanezzaCanezza186,879
  • Sazaq213Sazaq213489,583
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 17:41
    I like the yakuza series but i don't have yet " Yakuza Like a Dragon ".

Maybe i'll need to watch some videos to see the difference.
    ( If you comment thanks to use the " Quick quote post " to i have a notification )
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 May 21 at 17:47
    Shame.
  • Posted on 07 May 21 at 17:53
    I'm happy with this, The turn based combat worked really well, was a lot of fun and still had the flashy over the top moves and keeping Judgment as action combat means we get the best of both worlds from this amazing series
    A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage
  • Mr KarroukMr Karrouk222,299
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 17:57
    A real shame.
  • SuperS0nicSamSuperS0nicSam1,916,868
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:07
    Shame.
  • AddingtonAddington985,163
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:23
    I thought LAD was awesome. I think this is a good thing and not a shame as a lot of you seem to think.
  • Paul LaserbeamPaul Laserbeam2,179,390
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:24
    Addington said:
    I thought LAD was awesome. I think this is a good thing and not a shame as a lot of you seem to think.
    Shame upon you and your ancestors for all ways and eternity!
    I'm just messing, never played any of these.
    If you're reading this, I'm high and probably regretting making this comment
  • oslo2oslo2140,098
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:30
    Article is incomplete, they did say that Yakuza series will be turn-based only from now on, but they also stated that Judgment spin-off will continue to have classic combat.
  • CanezzaCanezza186,879
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:32
    oslo2 said:
    Article is incomplete, they did say that Yakuza series will be turn-based only from now on, but they also stated that Judgment spin-off will continue to have classic combat.
    "We decided that we should let our signature action gameplay live on through Lost Judgment." It's in the second para.
    TA & TT Senior Staff Writer. Twitter: @SeanC159
  • prowlerdanteprowlerdante1,281,002
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:32
    I'm OK with this. They have 8 long games (Yakuza 0 to 6, plus Judgement) that all play the same, and are still sticking with that combat for Lost Judgement, so its cool that Yakuza will be turn-based JRPG style going forward. I thought Like a Dragon was one of the best games of 2020 so really looking forward to more.
  • oslo2oslo2140,098
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:36
    Canezza said:
    oslo2 said:
    "We decided that we should let our signature action gameplay live on through Lost Judgment." It's in the second para.
    I honestly missed that line and other people in the comments seem to have to since they all call out shame on them lol
  • BIG SH0RTYBIG SH0RTY667,676
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:37
    prowlerdante said:
    I'm OK with this. They have 8 long games (Yakuza 0 to 6, plus Judgement) that all play the same, and are still sticking with that combat for Lost Judgement, so its cool that Yakuza will be turn-based JRPG style going forward. I thought Like a Dragon was one of the best games of 2020 so really looking forward to more.
    I agree, I'm only up to Kiwami 2 and still loving the combat, but I feel like by the time I've beaten 4 more games after this, I'll be ready for the change of style.
  • wariowarriorwariowarrior644,305
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 18:38
    Great news they’re taking this approach. Love both styles so best of both worlds
  • NovalionNovalion331,577
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 19:08
    Great choice. Yakuza is all about story telling. As long as they keep up that quality I‘m fine. And LAD was a great game :
  • The NotoThe Noto543,584
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 19:38
    What's the best order to play this series canonically? Start with Kiwami 1?
  • iMaginaryyiMaginaryy1,962,439
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 19:47
    oslo2 said:
    Canezza said:
    oslo2 said:
    I honestly missed that line and other people in the comments seem to have to since they all call out shame on them lol
    I mean they could have not missed it and still say shame.

Typically when a creator of a series wants to spin off in a new direction with vastly different gameplay, they, well, make a spin off with the vastly different gameplay. In this case it is a bit strange that they're changing the main series, and making the spin off for the classic gameplay.

But they make good games, so I have faith they'll pull it off. From what I've heard LAD is quite good and in line with the other games.
    Fear is the mindkiller.
  • Vanstrom336Vanstrom336824,241
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 19:56
    The Noto said:
    What's the best order to play this series canonically? Start with Kiwami 1?
    No, start at 0. Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the original Yakuza 1, but Yakuza Kiwami 1 (remake) is a sequel to Yakuza 0 if that makes sense. It builds upon some of the things they did in Yakuza 0, so it's worth starting at 0.

Alternatively jump in at 7 (Like a Dragon) and then go back to 0 since 7 is a new protagonist, combat style, and location. It's a "reboot" with callbacks to the rest of the series.
  • Vanstrom336Vanstrom336824,241
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 19:57
    I love turn based games so I'm on board with this. Especially when you consider how they'll build upon the combat system since the turn based change was "last minute".

We could see some really unique improvements from here on out.
  • CrackdownCrackdown315,846
    Posted on 07 May 21 at 19:59
    dude whyyy? yakuza was one of those rpg type games i actually enjoyed i cant deal with this final fantasy stuff
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.