Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Servers closing for five Need for Speed games on August 31st

• Posted on 01 June 21 at 09:25
    Servers for five Need for Speed titles — Carbon, The Run, Shift, Shift 2: Unleashed, and Undercover — are scheduled to close on August 31st, following the games being delisted from online stores over the weekend.

Please click here to read the full story: Servers closing for five Need for Speed games on August 31st
  • Posted on 01 June 21 at 09:41, Edited on 01 June 21 at 09:42 by CrysisWarXX3
    Delisting DLC's before announcing a server shutdown is a dirty and stupid move because they can make a lot of money from peoples if they kept them on store.
    There is no impossible achievement if you put all your skills on it !!!
  • Posted on 01 June 21 at 09:44
    "All five games were delisted from digital stores on the same day as the announcement was made (May 31st)"
    roll Genius move there...
  • Sol76Sol761,032,678
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 09:52
    Should have made them BC a long time ago , there would have been lots of people wanting them in their digital catalogue just because they are NFS titles.
  • Posted on 01 June 21 at 09:54
    im assuming all the offline achievements are still unlockable after the date?
    GT: Mike United 007
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead653,323
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:01
    xXMalakian XVII said:
    "All five games were delisted from digital stores on the same day as the announcement was made (May 31st)"
    Avoids people asking for refunds.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • ZukapeZukape457,995
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:03
    What a stupid move. They could have announce the server closure a year before taking down all the DLC's. I guess their license runing out, otherwise EA would never say no to moar moneeeeee.
  • Sazaq213Sazaq213489,838
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:04
    it was too beautiful to be true. ( that The servers be always open )

Carbon servers was open ? since i have it the server was close i'll check if it's open but it's weird
    ( If you comment thanks to use the " Quick quote post " to i have a notification )
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:05
    CrysisWarXX3 said:
    Delisting DLC's before announcing a server shutdown is a dirty and stupid move because they can make a lot of money from peoples if they kept them on store.
    Selling the game or DLC after announcing a shutdown is far more dirty.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:07
    Sol76 said:
    Should have made them BC a long time ago , there would have been lots of people wanting them in their digital catalogue just because they are NFS titles.
    The BC is weird there's a lot of good games that don't include in the BC...
    ( If you comment thanks to use the " Quick quote post " to i have a notification )
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:09
    Zukape said:
    What a stupid move. They could have announce the server closure a year before taking down all the DLC's. I guess their license runing out, otherwise EA would never say no to moar moneeeeee.
    3 months is reasonable. Most games say they will give just 1 month notice.

Giving a years notice would be the stupid move, as it will reduce sales. Would you buy a game or DLC if you knew you wouldn’t be able to play all or part of it in a years time?
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:12, Edited on 01 June 21 at 10:12 by HolyHalfDead
    Sazaq213 said:
    Sol76 said:
    The BC is weird there's a lot of good games that don't include in the BC...
    License agreements probably didn’t permit it. Even Microsoft’s own Forza games were not BC, most likely for the same reason.
  • TubbedTubbed360,029
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:12
    So Undercover is the only one that's possible to 100% now, unless you already own the DLC for the others.
  • Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:14
    Sazaq213 said:

Carbon servers was open ? since i have it the server was close i'll check if it's open but it's weird
    NFS Carbon server is up but it's broken for years you cant get into a lobby with anyone.
    There is no impossible achievement if you put all your skills on it !!
  • Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:17
    HolyHalfDead said:
    CrysisWarXX3 said:
    Selling the game or DLC after announcing a shutdown is far more dirty.
    Still acceptable for completionists.
    There is no impossible achievement if you put all your skills on it !!
  • superniceguysuperniceguy393,345
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:17
    I thought Carbon online was already offline, but ea do close and reopen servers.

They are always doing this. I was thinking of buying these games recently too, but then think other games will delist first so I buy them and they are not delisted but these are.

You can not afford to buy all the digital games all at once, it is stupid stupid stupid stupid very very stupid to delist games without warning. It is insane and nuts and stipid to remove games without warning.

This is the reason why I will never touch digital only consoles, because companies are so arrogant and greedy. The only reason they never say is to force you to buy it all now.

Undercover is still for sale, so I bought it
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:18
    CrysisWarXX3 said:
    Yes and no, it is especially not correct for people who own the game. Like the games are not in the BC library a lot of players don't have a x360 or play on the x360. it's for that when you need DLC it's better to buy it quickly before Microsoft remove it... And of course, no one don't put the Dlc in the base game with an update...

On the other hand, I find it totally absurd to remove dlcs from stores, given that it's exclusively digital and takes up almost no space.
  • TurtzerkerTurtzerker480,835
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:20, Edited on 01 June 21 at 10:21 by Turtzerker
    xXMalakian XVII said:
    Gonna chime in here because I see this sentiment a lot. As somebody who develops games on the Xbox ecosystem and on Steam, I can shed some light on these processes. Unfortunately, due to licensing issues, these games end up getting delisted all the time and it is especially prevalent for racing games (due to their use of vehicles with a likeness and branding that has real world counterparts). Due to the wonkiness of how returns and online payments can work in and outside the USA, many studios opt for not announcing any sort of final date for a game being in the digital store. The logic here is that it is much easier for publishers (and this is a publisher issue rather than a dev one) to deal with any potential payment issues from a much smaller sample of people rather than the usual massive influx that comes days and hours before an official delisting. Why would that be a concern, you might ask. Isn't more money in their pockets a good thing?

In this case, no. Due to the nature of licensing (and every agreement is different but I'll give you the basic rundown), having your hands in any money involving a licensed IP after the date that the license agreement ends can lead to some serious legal ramifications. This, in turn, usually ends up costing publishers a lot of money in court fees and damages to address said issues. Furthermore, breaking contract agreements can lead to future complications in reaching licensing agreements with the affected party and any prospective parties for later games. Due to these factors, many publishers will weigh the potential losses against the possible gains that can be made from last minute sales and, in many cases, will opt for the safer route of just delisting without any warning. Then there are some publishers that will forego the risk to give a heads up prior to delistings (such as Microsoft with the Forza series), in order to capitalize on last minute sales (they aren't doing it for your well-being or completion ratings). It's purely risk vs reward in this scenario and they're both valid for a number of reasons. In this situation, the only dumb move they can make is to not remove the game at all (and get sued as a result).

This kind of situation always sucks but thems the breaks, kids. Just remember that whenever you have a game with licensed content (that can't be easily patched out), that game is a ticking time bomb with a future delisting at some point.
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:20
    CrysisWarXX3 said:
    Sazaq213 said:

NFS Carbon server is up but it's broken for years you cant get into a lobby with anyone.
    Ok thanks
  • superniceguysuperniceguy393,345
    Posted on 01 June 21 at 10:20
    HolyHalfDead said:
    xXMalakian XVII said:
    Avoids people asking for refunds.
    Makes people ask them to relist it and complain
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.