Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Missed out on any Summer Game Fest demos? Don't worry, we played them all

• Stevo6483Stevo6483318,807
    Posted on 28 June 21 at 23:12
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Anyway, Tunic was hard but I’m not sure it’s more Souls-like than original NES era Zelda. Enemies have a scripted AI and you have to exploit it. The game gives you poor directions (or none at all) and you just explore. It’s not like Zelda didn’t have secrets galore, just like Tunic. I mean, it’s hard to tell with the demo, the one true boss I found was hard as heck but it’s hard to tell how much gear makes him easier. The enemies could be obnoxious in groups, but behaved very predictably.
    This is absolutely fair, and I would agree that it feels more 8-bit Zelda, but as much as I loathe lazy Souls comparisons, I’m not sure how many people on here would get/appreciate references to a mid-80s NES game, accurate as they would be. Souls is just the modern equivalent, so a much more accessible touchstone, albeit one I intentionally try to use sparingly as it often just feels lazy. ngl I was not expecting Tunic to have Estus Flask and Soul recovery analogue mechanics, though.
    I dunno, I bet a lot of users here were around then or not long after and got to play those games. "Souls-like" is a poor way of describing those games for the reasons Tyman has already mentioned.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • Posted on 29 June 21 at 08:14
    Stevo6483 said:
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Anyway, Tunic was hard but I’m not sure it’s more Souls-like than original NES era Zelda. Enemies have a scripted AI and you have to exploit it. The game gives you poor directions (or none at all) and you just explore. It’s not like Zelda didn’t have secrets galore, just like Tunic. I mean, it’s hard to tell with the demo, the one true boss I found was hard as heck but it’s hard to tell how much gear makes him easier. The enemies could be obnoxious in groups, but behaved very predictably.
    This is absolutely fair, and I would agree that it feels more 8-bit Zelda, but as much as I loathe lazy Souls comparisons, I’m not sure how many people on here would get/appreciate references to a mid-80s NES game, accurate as they would be. Souls is just the modern equivalent, so a much more accessible touchstone, albeit one I intentionally try to use sparingly as it often just feels lazy. ngl I was not expecting Tunic to have Estus Flask and Soul recovery analogue mechanics, though.
    I dunno, I bet a lot of users here were around then or not long after and got to play those games. "Souls-like" is a poor way of describing those games for the reasons Tyman has already mentioned.
    Usually I would agree, but Tunic has versions of the Estus Flask, bonfires, and even reclaiming what you lost on death... none of that was present in those older games, so it's accurate in this instance. Tunic definitely draws from both those 8-bit classics and their modern counterparts.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.