Forum for the Jake Jump Contest

Jake Jump - Discussion Thread

  • xNotStopEvilxNotStopEvil283,254
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 06:11
    Legendkilla X said:
    Finally bagged myself a 16 pointer for a game I would have never gone back to otherwise(Mutant Storm Reloaded)

    Also has pushed me to playthrough Rage after 10 years.

    There's no prize at stake so just having fun/dismay at some crap in my backlog.
    Much encouragement! Arcade games mostly had very stupid achievements, lol
  • prakkeroprakkero336,683
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 06:15
    Looks like this competition was too much for my PAL Xbox 360, getting a messed up graphics with a red ring on the bottom right corner, oh well, at least my NTSC one is still going strong(ish).
  • ALollzALollz654,830
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 14:27
    Vandel Buster said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    As a community event i dont get it you get points for a game you just started whilst the intent is to clear backburner games
    Because then the event doesn't exclude anyone. Why would you create an event that alienates people? How would anyone that just joined the Xbox community with a Series S/X be able to participate?
    It's a balance though. An event needs to balance being inclusive with being an actual event that celebrates some particular style of play. This one swung a bit too far into the inclusivity and essentially became a "you get a badge for playing as you normally would."

    And for me that's extremely disappointing. Site events and competitions are rare occurrences on this site, so having one really miss the mark just makes it seem like there's even less going on. Had there been 20 other events this year, or simultaneous events going on then great this one's not for me, I'll move on. But being as it's basically the only thing going on right now it feels really disappointing that it fell so flat.
  • EveryBaseEveryBase351,832
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 22:03, Edited on 27 July 21 at 22:04 by EveryBase
    ALollz said:
    Vandel Buster said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    As a community event i dont get it you get points for a game you just started whilst the intent is to clear backburner games
    Because then the event doesn't exclude anyone. Why would you create an event that alienates people? How would anyone that just joined the Xbox community with a Series S/X be able to participate?
    It's a balance though. An event needs to balance being inclusive with being an actual event that celebrates some particular style of play. This one swung a bit too far into the inclusivity and essentially became a "you get a badge for playing as you normally would."

    And for me that's extremely disappointing. Site events and competitions are rare occurrences on this site, so having one really miss the mark just makes it seem like there's even less going on. Had there been 20 other events this year, or simultaneous events going on then great this one's not for me, I'll move on. But being as it's basically the only thing going on right now it feels really disappointing that it fell so flat.
    same issue I am just unlocking 40 cheevos instead of going back its pointless. I don't care about exclusivity. Cheevos should only count if they are over 5 years. The few that have none over that can sit it out or do on an alt so the majority of us can have a challenge IMO
  • Posted on 27 July 21 at 22:08, Edited on 27 July 21 at 22:08 by Dutch x Monster
    SheBeatsYou said:
    ALollz said:
    Vandel Buster said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    As a community event i dont get it you get points for a game you just started whilst the intent is to clear backburner games
    Because then the event doesn't exclude anyone. Why would you create an event that alienates people? How would anyone that just joined the Xbox community with a Series S/X be able to participate?
    It's a balance though. An event needs to balance being inclusive with being an actual event that celebrates some particular style of play. This one swung a bit too far into the inclusivity and essentially became a "you get a badge for playing as you normally would."

    And for me that's extremely disappointing. Site events and competitions are rare occurrences on this site, so having one really miss the mark just makes it seem like there's even less going on. Had there been 20 other events this year, or simultaneous events going on then great this one's not for me, I'll move on. But being as it's basically the only thing going on right now it feels really disappointing that it fell so flat.
    same issue I am just unlocking 40 cheevos instead of going back its pointless. I don't care about exclusivity. Cheevos should only count if they are over 5 years. The few that have none over that can sit it out or do on an alt so the majority of us can have a challenge IMO
    Agreed the event is a good concept it needs balancing thou
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • EveryBaseEveryBase351,832
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 23:56
    Dutch x Monster said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    ALollz said:
    Vandel Buster said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    As a community event i dont get it you get points for a game you just started whilst the intent is to clear backburner games
    Because then the event doesn't exclude anyone. Why would you create an event that alienates people? How would anyone that just joined the Xbox community with a Series S/X be able to participate?
    It's a balance though. An event needs to balance being inclusive with being an actual event that celebrates some particular style of play. This one swung a bit too far into the inclusivity and essentially became a "you get a badge for playing as you normally would."

    And for me that's extremely disappointing. Site events and competitions are rare occurrences on this site, so having one really miss the mark just makes it seem like there's even less going on. Had there been 20 other events this year, or simultaneous events going on then great this one's not for me, I'll move on. But being as it's basically the only thing going on right now it feels really disappointing that it fell so flat.
    same issue I am just unlocking 40 cheevos instead of going back its pointless. I don't care about exclusivity. Cheevos should only count if they are over 5 years. The few that have none over that can sit it out or do on an alt so the majority of us can have a challenge IMO
    Agreed the event is a good concept it needs balancing thou
    Yes it is good I hope to see it evolve. Would be sweet if it selected say 20 cheevos from the backlog over a certain amount of years. That would be quite a challenge completing randomly selected ones. I need a reason to revisit those old non BC 360 games I won't do it on my own lol
  • LancerideLanceride424,046
    Posted on 28 July 21 at 00:55
    20 challenges down!

    A huge thanks, as always, to Planting42 for hosting these events and to everyone involved. These challenges never fail to make me get achievements I wouldn't otherwise get.

    I look forward to seeing how this type of event is implemented in the future!
    Blah blah blah forum signature
  • albajosalbajos821,934
    Posted on 28 July 21 at 12:06, Edited on 28 July 21 at 12:10 by albajos
    Seems this event is missing a leaderboard for what achievements gave people the most points.

    Username - Period of absense y/d - Points

    (less than a year should not reward points, but that is another discussion)
    All work and no play makes Jos a dull boy.
  • aphexbraphexbr160,280
    Posted on 28 July 21 at 14:04
    Skridger said:
    What I would have liked, if we're seeing this as the counterpart to the bean dive, is rather than target games unplayed in a long time, target achievements that are approaching game completion.

    Only the last 10 achievements remaining in a game score points, and ascend in value towards completion. For example, game has 20 achievements.

    Player earns their 10th achievement, 0 points
    Player earns their 11th, 1 point
    12th, 2 points
    Up to the final achievement and game completion, 10 points (And possibly a bonus for the actual completion, or a bonus structure for the # of games completed during the contest)

    This discourages starting new games (But doesn't punish for it for those who want to start games)
    This encourages completing games that are already near completion.

    Another way to do it would be 1 point for any achievement, then the points ascend for the last 10 achievements in the game.

    Disclaimer: I have only skimmed this thread, apologies if someone already suggested something similar
    Not a bad idea, but the problem is that a lot of outstanding achievements will be for multiplayer on dead servers - that is to say, not unobtainable, the servers are still active, but you probably won't be able to do them without boosting... and nobody wants to start boosting 30 old games just to get some extra contest points. Multiplayer achievements are a pain at the best of times, but if you need to start boosting hours-long sessions to get to certain levels people aren't going to bother, and if they can't get points for the remaining single player achievements because there's 15 multiplayer ones, they probably won't play the game at all.
  • SkridgerSkridger389,255
    Posted on 28 July 21 at 18:47
    aphexbr said:
    Skridger said:
    What I would have liked, if we're seeing this as the counterpart to the bean dive, is rather than target games unplayed in a long time, target achievements that are approaching game completion.

    Only the last 10 achievements remaining in a game score points, and ascend in value towards completion. For example, game has 20 achievements.

    Player earns their 10th achievement, 0 points
    Player earns their 11th, 1 point
    12th, 2 points
    Up to the final achievement and game completion, 10 points (And possibly a bonus for the actual completion, or a bonus structure for the # of games completed during the contest)

    This discourages starting new games (But doesn't punish for it for those who want to start games)
    This encourages completing games that are already near completion.

    Another way to do it would be 1 point for any achievement, then the points ascend for the last 10 achievements in the game.

    Disclaimer: I have only skimmed this thread, apologies if someone already suggested something similar
    Not a bad idea, but the problem is that a lot of outstanding achievements will be for multiplayer on dead servers - that is to say, not unobtainable, the servers are still active, but you probably won't be able to do them without boosting... and nobody wants to start boosting 30 old games just to get some extra contest points. Multiplayer achievements are a pain at the best of times, but if you need to start boosting hours-long sessions to get to certain levels people aren't going to bother, and if they can't get points for the remaining single player achievements because there's 15 multiplayer ones, they probably won't play the game at all.
    I hear you, but no matter what scheme we ultimately try to use, there are always going to be games with achievements that don't make sense to go for with regard to the contest. I think it's best to focus on the general idea, rather than specific game examples.

    I personally, would likely not go for any online achievements, and would find other games to work on for the contest.
  • Posted on 28 July 21 at 20:23
    Skridger said:
    I hear you, but no matter what scheme we ultimately try to use, there are always going to be games with achievements that don't make sense to go for with regard to the contest. I think it's best to focus on the general idea, rather than specific game examples.

    I personally, would likely not go for any online achievements, and would find other games to work on for the contest.
    Good news: you can eliminate games from the contest via marking them as "Not for Contests" in your game collection (you have to switch to List View to see this option). This has worked in previous games/contests/events, and I'm sure would work for this one if the rules were amended as such.

    I don't believe at this time you can get to the granularity of eliminating individual achievements, but I'm guessing that eliminating entire games will work for most people's purposes.
  • prakkeroprakkero336,683
    Posted on 29 July 21 at 00:10
    Dug up my old windows phone to get some extra points (for the games where achievements still work anyway), Throne Together apparently wants me to wait 10000 hours for more energy to keep playing, lol.
  • aphexbraphexbr160,280
    Posted on 30 July 21 at 12:09
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Skridger said:
    I hear you, but no matter what scheme we ultimately try to use, there are always going to be games with achievements that don't make sense to go for with regard to the contest. I think it's best to focus on the general idea, rather than specific game examples.

    I personally, would likely not go for any online achievements, and would find other games to work on for the contest.
    Good news: you can eliminate games from the contest via marking them as "Not for Contests" in your game collection (you have to switch to List View to see this option). This has worked in previous games/contests/events, and I'm sure would work for this one if the rules were amended as such.

    I don't believe at this time you can get to the granularity of eliminating individual achievements, but I'm guessing that eliminating entire games will work for most people's purposes.
    Well. you can mark games as not for contests but that's not relevant to this particular event. The point I was making is that if you have a game with, say, 20 achievements left right now but 18 of them are multiplayer, you can get the points by popping one of the single player ones. In the plan suggested, you can't possibly get points at all until you start with the MP.

    It's not a huge deal really as by it's very nature this event is for casual play, and anyone doing well this year will have a much harder time playing in future, I'm just very wary of ideas that force MP achievements at all, let alone ones from games with zero server traffic.
  • SkridgerSkridger389,255
    Posted on 30 July 21 at 18:38
    aphexbr said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Skridger said:
    I hear you, but no matter what scheme we ultimately try to use, there are always going to be games with achievements that don't make sense to go for with regard to the contest. I think it's best to focus on the general idea, rather than specific game examples.

    I personally, would likely not go for any online achievements, and would find other games to work on for the contest.
    Good news: you can eliminate games from the contest via marking them as "Not for Contests" in your game collection (you have to switch to List View to see this option). This has worked in previous games/contests/events, and I'm sure would work for this one if the rules were amended as such.

    I don't believe at this time you can get to the granularity of eliminating individual achievements, but I'm guessing that eliminating entire games will work for most people's purposes.
    Well. you can mark games as not for contests but that's not relevant to this particular event. The point I was making is that if you have a game with, say, 20 achievements left right now but 18 of them are multiplayer, you can get the points by popping one of the single player ones. In the plan suggested, you can't possibly get points at all until you start with the MP.

    It's not a huge deal really as by it's very nature this event is for casual play, and anyone doing well this year will have a much harder time playing in future, I'm just very wary of ideas that force MP achievements at all, let alone ones from games with zero server traffic.
    I do get your point, and agree with it to an extent. Some games, because you and I don't bother with the online achievements, won't be useful in the contest if my suggestion were to play out.

    I'm just saying, one man's garbage is the next man's treasure. Other folks may have the same game queued up and ready to pop those online achievements.

    Online or not, if the last 10 achievements in a given game are "Difficult" enough that you don't want to go for them, then that's not a good game for you to target for the contest.

    My thoughts are, just move on to another game. If you're an achievement hunter, and especially if you've bean dived a bunch of games, there should be lots of games to work with. Make this part of your bean dive task, dive the games you, personally, will be able to complete.

    Just my .02
  • xNotStopEvilxNotStopEvil283,254
    Posted on 30 July 21 at 18:55
    Skridger said:
    aphexbr said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Skridger said:
    I hear you, but no matter what scheme we ultimately try to use, there are always going to be games with achievements that don't make sense to go for with regard to the contest. I think it's best to focus on the general idea, rather than specific game examples.

    I personally, would likely not go for any online achievements, and would find other games to work on for the contest.
    Good news: you can eliminate games from the contest via marking them as "Not for Contests" in your game collection (you have to switch to List View to see this option). This has worked in previous games/contests/events, and I'm sure would work for this one if the rules were amended as such.

    I don't believe at this time you can get to the granularity of eliminating individual achievements, but I'm guessing that eliminating entire games will work for most people's purposes.
    Well. you can mark games as not for contests but that's not relevant to this particular event. The point I was making is that if you have a game with, say, 20 achievements left right now but 18 of them are multiplayer, you can get the points by popping one of the single player ones. In the plan suggested, you can't possibly get points at all until you start with the MP.

    It's not a huge deal really as by it's very nature this event is for casual play, and anyone doing well this year will have a much harder time playing in future, I'm just very wary of ideas that force MP achievements at all, let alone ones from games with zero server traffic.
    I do get your point, and agree with it to an extent. Some games, because you and I don't bother with the online achievements, won't be useful in the contest if my suggestion were to play out.

    I'm just saying, one man's garbage is the next man's treasure. Other folks may have the same game queued up and ready to pop those online achievements.

    Online or not, if the last 10 achievements in a given game are "Difficult" enough that you don't want to go for them, then that's not a good game for you to target for the contest.

    My thoughts are, just move on to another game. If you're an achievement hunter, and especially if you've bean dived a bunch of games, there should be lots of games to work with. Make this part of your bean dive task, dive the games you, personally, will be able to complete.

    Just my .02
    Very well said! This event is not for everyone. From my point of view. Isn't this place for achievement hunters? So don't call us casual. I waste a lot of hours to finish a game haha. This event is great. A motivation to go back to old games. Without this place I would not have as many games or my percentage. A perfect place for achievement hunters and well, others are for news or things like that. Everyone is welcome :)
  • Posted on 30 July 21 at 22:05, Edited on 30 July 21 at 22:05 by The S bot 9000
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.

    Did I miss a free sale or something? Seems odd that this title not only surpassed the king of backlogs: MCC but also was even played at all considering the current $40 price tag.


    Edit: List for contest stats: https://www.trueachievements.com/conteststats.aspx?contestid...
  • albajosalbajos821,934
    Posted on 30 July 21 at 22:46
    The S bot 9000 said:
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.
    It's only 10th in GS won, way way behind the top,. On that list you'll find the usual suspects in the top.

    Also, the olympics is running as we speak, what better time to play it, if any.
    All work and no play makes Jos a dull boy.
  • Oriole2682Oriole26823,220,450
    Posted on 30 July 21 at 23:51
    The S bot 9000 said:
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.

    Did I miss a free sale or something? Seems odd that this title not only surpassed the king of backlogs: MCC but also was even played at all considering the current $40 price tag.


    Edit: List for contest stats: https://www.trueachievements.com/conteststats.aspx?contestid...
    It was free to play over the last weekend, also the olympics are taking place right now and the game was released to coincide with it, so not obscure in any way...
    All Hail Xitilon!!!
  • Oriole2682Oriole26823,220,450
    Posted on 30 July 21 at 23:52
    albajos said:
    The S bot 9000 said:
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.
    It's only 10th in GS won, way way behind the top,. On that list you'll find the usual suspects in the top.

    Also, the olympics is running as we speak, what better time to play it, if any.
    They said most achievements won, what does that have to do with GS? This contest gives points based on achievements not GS.
    All Hail Xitilon!!!
  • albajosalbajos821,934
    Posted on 31 July 21 at 08:41
    Oriole2682 said:
    albajos said:
    The S bot 9000 said:
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.
    It's only 10th in GS won, way way behind the top,. On that list you'll find the usual suspects in the top.

    Also, the olympics is running as we speak, what better time to play it, if any.
    They said most achievements won, what does that have to do with GS? This contest gives points based on achievements not GS.
    It shows that people are not completing Tokyo, they are just playing it. Tokyo have 46 achievements, so it would be closer too the top if it was an easy one.
    All work and no play makes Jos a dull boy.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.