Forum for the Jake Jump Contest

Jake Jump - Discussion Thread

• Oriole2682Oriole26823,223,185
    Posted on 31 July 21 at 15:42
    albajos said:
    Oriole2682 said:
    albajos said:
    The S bot 9000 said:
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.
    It's only 10th in GS won, way way behind the top,. On that list you'll find the usual suspects in the top.

Also, the olympics is running as we speak, what better time to play it, if any.
    They said most achievements won, what does that have to do with GS? This contest gives points based on achievements not GS.
    It shows that people are not completing Tokyo, they are just playing it. Tokyo have 46 achievements, so it would be closer too the top if it was an easy one.
    It doesn't show that at all, all the games in the top 20 GS other than that have an average of 100 points per achievement, all the game above it have an even higher average amount of GS per achievement because of Title Updates. There isn't enough data to show who is or isn't completing the game as far as participants in the contest go. You have no idea what you are talking about and/or don't understand math.
    All Hail Xitilon!!!
  • ALoneWolf42ALoneWolf42171,140
    Posted on 01 August 21 at 17:12
    How long does this competition go for? I'm already finished but it seems I'm still earning points towards it.
  • prakkeroprakkero337,036
    Posted on 01 August 21 at 18:36, Edited on 01 August 21 at 18:36 by prakkero
    ALoneWolf42 said:
    How long does this competition go for? I'm already finished but it seems I'm still earning points towards it.
    Quote from the FAQ: "You will have from the 12th of July at Noon UTC to August 2nd at Noon UTC to go through your gaming library and refresh as many games as you can. Hopefully, you'll find some hidden gems that you've overlooked for some time!"

I hit 1000 points so pretty much done now too, could have scored maybe 50+ points more if more of my PAL 360 Xbox discs worked on my NTSC version, but oh well.
  • pezza888pezza888143,629
    Posted on 01 August 21 at 22:57
    Finished my badge today, thought I would come back to this thread to add on to my earlier comments.

In the end, I have just got to 40 tonight, with less that a day to go. I thought I’d end up way over, but I guess I’ve been busy this month. I wouldn’t have made it without a few “1 pointers”, so while I still feel it is a shame the contest could be “cheesed” with Raitchaliaka’s, in the interests of making a contest that everyone in the community could partake in, giving a point per achievement was a necessary evil and probably for the best. A cap of 40 one-pointers for the sake of the leaderboards could have worked well, but alas.

The contest did make me go back and get some achievements in old games - which is exactly what it aimed to do. I enjoyed playing Crackdown and Lost Planet for the first time in years and will likely go back and try to clear up the rest of the achievements in those games.

So, thanks to the organisers for a fun contest, roll on the next one! I have been following this thread somewhat closely and wanted to tell them not to take any criticism too much to heart, I think most of us are coming from a good place and really want this site and its events to be the best!
  • Posted on 01 August 21 at 23:24
    pezza888 said:
    Finished my badge today, thought I would come back to this thread to add on to my earlier comments.

In the end, I have just got to 40 tonight, with less that a day to go. I thought I’d end up way over, but I guess I’ve been busy this month. I wouldn’t have made it without a few “1 pointers”, so while I still feel it is a shame the contest could be “cheesed” with Raitchaliaka’s, in the interests of making a contest that everyone in the community could partake in, giving a point per achievement was a necessary evil and probably for the best. A cap of 40 one-pointers for the sake of the leaderboards could have worked well, but alas.

The contest did make me go back and get some achievements in old games - which is exactly what it aimed to do. I enjoyed playing Crackdown and Lost Planet for the first time in years and will likely go back and try to clear up the rest of the achievements in those games.

So, thanks to the organisers for a fun contest, roll on the next one! I have been following this thread somewhat closely and wanted to tell them not to take any criticism too much to heart, I think most of us are coming from a good place and really want this site and its events to be the best!
    Getting to the contest's end here, and looking at the leaderboards, most of the top 50 people are pretty close to the achievement/score ratio, but there are some very impressive exceptions (and more than I would have guessed going into this).

Special note for JohnnieMonkey -- in 7th place and a Score/Achievement ratio of 8.4 That is very, very impressive. eLiTeMC251 has a solid ratio too and is in 2nd place.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I also did Crackdown for 8 points to cross the 40 point threshold (wanted to have a special score "in the spirit of the contest"), so I guess in a way the contest did exactly what it set out to do. Of course, now I'm working in finishing Crackdown instead of doing other old games (Hexic, Gears of War 3, Catherine, etc) but that's my completionism brain's fault. Guess I can save them for next year.

The concept of the contest is solid, and even with scoring as is there are some impressive point ratios up there. And I agree with you -- a bit of score tweaking and we have a great contest.
  • FireDrake007FireDrake007163,604
    Posted on 02 August 21 at 06:56
    I went back to Fable 3 after 10 years to get this badge and finally completed the game because of Jake Jump. Thanks TA.
  • aphexbraphexbr160,450
    Posted on 02 August 21 at 07:24
    albajos said:
    Oriole2682 said:
    albajos said:
    The S bot 9000 said:
    I'm bewildered that the most achievements unlocked in a single title for this contest is some obscure Olympics game: Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - The Official Video Game Achievements.
    It's only 10th in GS won, way way behind the top,. On that list you'll find the usual suspects in the top.

Also, the olympics is running as we speak, what better time to play it, if any.
    They said most achievements won, what does that have to do with GS? This contest gives points based on achievements not GS.
    It shows that people are not completing Tokyo, they are just playing it. Tokyo have 46 achievements, so it would be closer too the top if it was an easy one.
    Tokyo Olympics just had a free weekend to tie in the with real life games, so no surprise that a lot of people were playing it during this event. While that means multiplayer should have been busy with a lot of new players, it seemed very buggy and would just kick you off random, often before you even had a chance to start an event (at least in my experience).

So, I think a lot of people did what I did - cleared off the bulk of the gamer score that was available offline, but didn't bother trying to mop up the completion, or ran out of time during the weekend due to the flaky online.
  • JohnnieMonkeyJohnnieMonkey1,178,018
    Posted on 02 August 21 at 09:13, Edited on 02 August 21 at 09:15 by JohnnieMonkey
    Well, I think I'm done. Might could squeeze in a couple more before the end, but I'm tired.

It's been great fun having an excuse to really dig into my abandoned games. Some good ones I'd forgotten in there (and a few not so good...). A handful I plan to revisit and try to 100%.

Sadly, I found a few games missing from my library (Splatterhouse, Warhammer: Space Marine, a couple of the X-Men games). I suspect I loaned them to my brother and they disappeared when his Xbox was stolen. On the other hand, I found a total of 20 brand new, still sealed games on my shelf. A few I've played, as they've since been GWG, but geez, never even opened?

A couple of highlights:
    The Saboteur - I never got around to mopping up the free play targets, but whiling away an afternoon blowing up nazis was oddly relaxing.
    Velvet Assassin - Finally got 100% on that one. I remember being stuck on the last level. Now that I've finished it, I'm not sure why.
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - I originally played this back to back with the first one and just got burnt out on it. Great game though.
    Mafia II - I completely forgot I had the DLC for this. Definitely planning to finish it.

And some lowlights:
    Spider-Man 3 - I knew the gold medals were beyond my skill, but I couldn't figure out why I never completed the bronze medals. Now I know. I managed to do another half-dozen of them, but it cost me a day of nausea. The camera in that game is SO BAD. Thing spins around all over the place when you're trying to do precision maneuvers.
    Tony Hawk: Ride - I forgot what a steaming pile that game is. The skateboard peripheral just doesn't register ANYTHING the way it's meant to. Also, I've added ten years and twenty pounds since I last played. Worked up a sweat in about five minutes. laugh
    Peggle - Peggle is a great game (as is Peggle 2), but somehow all my progress was wiped. Had to start that baby from scratch.

Anyway, a very enjoyable event. Nice change of pace from just playing whatever is the latest thing on Game Pass.
  • MorseyBabyMorseyBaby330,246
    Posted on 02 August 21 at 12:10
    Really enjoyed the event. Feel like it may be a total one off, but I had fun and managed to get all games (which I still have access to) worth more than one point added back to card. Actually only now have 14 games and one app (TA!) where I haven't popped a cheevo this year... so I'll follow up with that.

Would be really interested in how many other people also managed to earn a cheevo in every eligible game worth more than one point.
  • GortusGortus615,947
    Posted on 02 August 21 at 15:17
    JohnnieMonkey said:
    Well, I think I'm done. Might could squeeze in a couple more before the end, but I'm tired.

It's been great fun having an excuse to really dig into my abandoned games. Some good ones I'd forgotten in there (and a few not so good...). A handful I plan to revisit and try to 100%.
    Spider-Man 3 - I knew the gold medals were beyond my skill, but I couldn't figure out why I never completed the bronze medals. Now I know. I managed to do another half-dozen of them, but it cost me a day of nausea. The camera in that game is SO BAD. Thing spins around all over the place when you're trying to do precision maneuvers.
    That's funny, I was just a few points behind you when I gave up and went to bed. Spiderman 3 would have been a juicy 15-pointer for me, but I had the same experience - played for 10 minutes and nauseated for hours!

Anyway, same experience here - games I'd totally forgotten about are now on my "on deck" pile. Such a fun event.
  • prakkeroprakkero337,036
    Posted on 02 August 21 at 17:50, Edited on 02 August 21 at 17:54 by prakkero
    I enjoyed Saboteur & Mafia II, too. Somehow never played them that much back in the day. Too bad Saboteur isn't backwards compatible, but might still get back into it to finish it.

One game I really DIDN'T enjoy in this was Dante's Inferno, holy crap there were some annoying jumping sections with awkward camera angles, not going to revisit that game unless there's another jake jump in 10 years or so. Same goes for Guackamelee
  • ALoneWolf42ALoneWolf42171,140
    Posted on 05 August 21 at 18:15
    I signed up for my Xbox profile last January (I'm pretty sure?), so all of my games were 2020 2021, so I'm pretty sure all my achievements got 1 point each. laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.