Forum for the Jake Jump Contest

Jake Jump - Discussion Thread

• J PinderJ Pinder620,676
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 02:33
    Why can't we track our friends' progress in any of these events? I would really like to see how we're all doing at a glance on my homepage. Even a friends' listing on the event hub page would be good.

Otherwise, this has been fun. I've been consciously going through my backlog over the past year, so I don't have many high-value targets. It's usually really nice going back to years-long abandoned games, especially knocking out a long-waiting completion. Thanks for the event!
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 08:49
    RadAdam said:
    Based on my proposal, here are the "real" (modified) Jake Jump heroes:
    Rogue Wolf 703
    JohnnieMonkey 636
    PureRhapsody 588
    amokaner 568
    Scouse Canadian 547
    SP00K19 501

Also interesting, if single-point achievements weren't counted, 140! out of the Top 200 have NOT completed their modified jump.
    Number 1 becomes number 47, and Number 2 becomes 73. Of course, since Number 2 has not finished their modified Jump, I suspect there are a lot of people outside of the top 200 that have higher modified scores.
    Hope the TA mods see this and post this type of info at the end of the competition. This is the REAL information.
    Chill out bro. Be nicer to each other.
  • Scouse CanadianScouse Canadian1,027,824
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 20:03
    Really enjoying this event, though it could use some tweaks with the scoring system. Hope this becomes a yearly event!
    Taking Tags like a boss
  • S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y349,272
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 22:20
    Skridger said:
    What I would have liked, if we're seeing this as the counterpart to the bean dive, is rather than target games unplayed in a long time, target achievements that are approaching game completion.

Only the last 10 achievements remaining in a game score points, and ascend in value towards completion. For example, game has 20 achievements.

Player earns their 10th achievement, 0 points
    Player earns their 11th, 1 point
    12th, 2 points
    Up to the final achievement and game completion, 10 points (And possibly a bonus for the actual completion, or a bonus structure for the # of games completed during the contest)

This discourages starting new games (But doesn't punish for it for those who want to start games)
    This encourages completing games that are already near completion.

Another way to do it would be 1 point for any achievement, then the points ascend for the last 10 achievements in the game.

Disclaimer: I have only skimmed this thread, apologies if someone already suggested something similar
    That’s an interesting proposal, and could work well (perhaps, with some tweaking) even for a totally different community challenge.
    Category 3 SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • gothmogesgothmoges556,615
    Posted on 25 July 21 at 00:29
    Skridger said:
    What I would have liked, if we're seeing this as the counterpart to the bean dive, is rather than target games unplayed in a long time, target achievements that are approaching game completion.

Only the last 10 achievements remaining in a game score points, and ascend in value towards completion. For example, game has 20 achievements.

12th, 2 points
    Up to the final achievement and game completion, 10 points (And possibly a bonus for the actual completion, or a bonus structure for the # of games completed during the contest)

This discourages starting new games (But doesn't punish for it for those who want to start games)

Another way to do it would be 1 point for any achievement, then the points ascend for the last 10 achievements in the game.

Disclaimer: I have only skimmed this thread, apologies if someone already suggested something similar
    This proposal suffers from a similar issue that the current rules: it's trivial to farm points with easy completions.
  • Posted on 25 July 21 at 00:44
    gothmoges said:
    Skridger said:

12th, 2 points

This proposal suffers from a similar issue that the current rules: it's trivial to farm points with easy completions.
    Perhaps the solution would be to ask that the games be on your card for a minimum of 6 months, or even a year...
    - But that's just my 2¢
  • Rogue WolfRogue Wolf454,932
    Posted on 25 July 21 at 16:50
    Skridger said:

12th, 2 points

I like this proposal for next time, maybe have each achievement scored like above but multiplied by the number of years since the first achievement was unlocked.

Completionists can burn through games as normal but it gives those more casual players a reason to look at completing their backlog. It would have to stay as a community thing though as I think it would be hard for your completionists to be competitive.

Personally speaking I've only played to the point of getting an achievement (with the exception of Marvel vs Capcom popping 2 simultaneously) to keep my head somewhere on the scoreboard but it hasnt given me any incentive to keep playing that particular game.

That said, I have enjoyed the event. I initially started it to give me something to do before Flight Sim comes out, but I've kept with it as I've enjoyed going back into my backlog. It's reminded me how good some of the games I've played are and a lot of the games I've played these past few weeks have stayed installed and will be revisited.
  • Posted on 25 July 21 at 23:31, Edited on 25 July 21 at 23:33 by I8ITackyticsI8I
    I personally prefer the suggestion I've seen in the thread of scoring only once per game, but it being based on the same rules as now - 1 point for the achievement plus amount of years since you last unlocked an achievement in it. It means games can't be farmed endlessly, completionists don't get left behind (just have to start more games) and people with a backlog still get high reward for digging back into their history. Leaderboards can still exist and if desired easy games can still be played for lower reward. Everyone wins.
  • xNotStopEvilxNotStopEvil294,714
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 06:22
    I8ITackyticsI8I said:
    I personally prefer the suggestion I've seen in the thread of scoring only once per game, but it being based on the same rules as now - 1 point for the achievement plus amount of years since you last unlocked an achievement in it. It means games can't be farmed endlessly, completionists don't get left behind (just have to start more games) and people with a backlog still get high reward for digging back into their history. Leaderboards can still exist and if desired easy games can still be played for lower reward. Everyone wins.
    The purpose of this event was to make people play their games started by bean drive .. Obviously everything got out of hand .. I will at least end up dead rising thanks to this event: p
  • oX xM1K3x XooX xM1K3x Xo482,526
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 06:23
    Just wanted to share my success story amongst the negativity and endless suggestion posts.
    After looking through my backlog and aiming to play 'in the spirit' I identified the Fallout Series as the only ones I could realistically get some decent bonus points from.
    These games had long been shelved and without this challenge, I doubt I would have ever bothered to play again.
    Fired up Fallout 3 and somehow had a save game available right at the end mission! Used this save to easily mop up the Behemoths, speech and terminal challenges among other cumulative achievements.
    Fell short on the bobbleheads at 19 with the last one stuck inside a blown up and inaccessible Raven Rock. 99% game completion and I thought I was happy so onto New Vegas.
    No such cloud save game luck with New Vegas so a fresh save it was. Armed with the brilliant on site walkthrough and some wiki help I cleaned up 3 more endings, found all the companions, got bored to death playing caravan and then wiped out all the deathclaws for the melee and explosive damage. 100% game completion and onto Fallout 4?
    Not quite. Somewhere during the search for Sunset Sarsaparilla bottle caps my love for exploration returned. Fallout 3 got reinstalled and we went back on the bobblehead hunt and traipsed through the Capital Wasteland to re-find the 19 and then to actually get the mysterious 20th in Raven Rock. 100% completion and now I was much happier! Fallout 4 time.
    Took me a minute to realise what the hell was going on with this game. Again I had an end game save in some beastly power armor and had no idea what this game was! Inputs had been changed, the gameplay was smooth and I can sprint!? Not many left to clean up but last night I got to maximum relationship with Cait by grinding the naked fast travel/waiting method. Yawn. Today I will be turning Red Rocket into the best settlement your caps can buy, crafting the last few bits and bobs and going giant hunting with Cait my new lover! 100% again!
    I've had an absolute blast replaying these games and I'm now going to give Fallout 76 a try too.
    Massive thanks to the team for this event!

Now if only Fallout Shelter wasn't so awful with Legendary Dwellers my series percentage would be a little bit higher!
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 08:22
    oX xM1K3x Xo said:
    Just wanted to share my success story amongst the negativity and endless suggestion posts.
    After looking through my backlog and aiming to play 'in the spirit' I identified the Fallout Series as the only ones I could realistically get some decent bonus points from.
    These games had long been shelved and without this challenge, I doubt I would have ever bothered to play again.
    Fired up Fallout 3 and somehow had a save game available right at the end mission! Used this save to easily mop up the Behemoths, speech and terminal challenges among other cumulative achievements.
    Fell short on the bobbleheads at 19 with the last one stuck inside a blown up and inaccessible Raven Rock. 99% game completion and I thought I was happy so onto New Vegas.
    No such cloud save game luck with New Vegas so a fresh save it was. Armed with the brilliant on site walkthrough and some wiki help I cleaned up 3 more endings, found all the companions, got bored to death playing caravan and then wiped out all the deathclaws for the melee and explosive damage. 100% game completion and onto Fallout 4?
    Not quite. Somewhere during the search for Sunset Sarsaparilla bottle caps my love for exploration returned. Fallout 3 got reinstalled and we went back on the bobblehead hunt and traipsed through the Capital Wasteland to re-find the 19 and then to actually get the mysterious 20th in Raven Rock. 100% completion and now I was much happier! Fallout 4 time.
    Took me a minute to realise what the hell was going on with this game. Again I had an end game save in some beastly power armor and had no idea what this game was! Inputs had been changed, the gameplay was smooth and I can sprint!? Not many left to clean up but last night I got to maximum relationship with Cait by grinding the naked fast travel/waiting method. Yawn. Today I will be turning Red Rocket into the best settlement your caps can buy, crafting the last few bits and bobs and going giant hunting with Cait my new lover! 100% again!
    I've had an absolute blast replaying these games and I'm now going to give Fallout 76 a try too.

Now if only Fallout Shelter wasn't so awful with Legendary Dwellers my series percentage would be a little bit higher!
    That is great friend! I love these events because of this, I had dead rising for more than 1 year and had no thoughts of playing it .. I have more than 32 achievements these days and I will complete it, then I will take the trash of need for speed heat hahaha .. All thanks to the event , good luck and enjoy fallout!
  • DaytimeCometDaytimeComet247,987
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 14:36
    oX xM1K3x Xo said:

Dont forget the DLC's! Fallout has some great DLC.
  • Rista BRista B638,322
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 17:54
    oX xM1K3x Xo said:

Wow, most have taken you a fair amount of time to go through those games. I don't even recall that could have relationships in Fallout 4. I do need to get back to Fallout 76 again.

I registered for the event and was on the fence about participating but when I unlocked one point with an achievement from a game I was playing anyway I decided to try it out. Not sure if they will have the event again or not but it was a fun challenge to figure out how to get a few achievements from my old games.
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 18:07
    Rista B said:
    oX xM1K3x Xo said:

Wow, most have taken you a fair amount of time to go through those games. I don't even recall that could have relationships in Fallout 4. I do need to get back to Fallout 76 again.

I registered for the event and was on the fence about participating but when I unlocked one point with an achievement from a game I was playing anyway I decided to try it out. Not sure if they will have the event again or not but it was a fun challenge to figure out how to get a few achievements from my old games.
    It's incredibly motivating, fallout 76 adding stuff, it might catch you!
  • RadAdamRadAdam236,389
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 18:30
    oX xM1K3x Xo said:
    Yeah man, I know my post was a suggestion post, but I actually enjoyed the idea of this. I have been playing mostly Halo recently, and this event kinda rekindled my love of video games.
    I dove back into a few games that I had one-two missing achievements on. I finally finished AC1, which required most of a full playthrough, due to the missable (UGH, but exactly why I had never finished, haha). I've been working on Bioshock 1 and 2 hard modes, and soon I will mop up Infinite as well. Of course, that's after I finish Borderlands 2, which I've picked back up to also finish the DLC.
    All that has caused me to try out Outriders... I just wish it wasn't showing up on my Jake Jump, because they are all new achievements, and not in the same spirit.
  • prakkeroprakkero341,275
    Posted on 26 July 21 at 18:37
    Still enjoying this event, but among the gems I rediscover and wanna play more/properly again (GTA IV, Alpha Protocol, Deadlight), I keep finding at least an equal number of turds, which make me wonder why I even got these games in the first place (D&D Daggerdale, Shoot Many Robots, Dead Block), I guess some of them must have been Games with Gold stuff...
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 26 July 21 at 23:11
    As a community event i dont get it you get points for a game you just started whilst the intent is to clear backburner games
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • Legendkilla XLegendkilla X1,402,294
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 01:42
    Finally bagged myself a 16 pointer for a game I would have never gone back to otherwise(Mutant Storm Reloaded)

Also has pushed me to playthrough Rage after 10 years.

There's no prize at stake so just having fun/dismay at some crap in my backlog.
  • Posted on 27 July 21 at 03:52
    Dutch x Monster said:
    As a community event i dont get it you get points for a game you just started whilst the intent is to clear backburner games
    Because then the event doesn't exclude anyone. Why would you create an event that alienates people? How would anyone that just joined the Xbox community with a Series S/X be able to participate?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 July 21 at 06:03
    Vandel Buster said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    Because then the event doesn't exclude anyone. Why would you create an event that alienates people? How would anyone that just joined the Xbox community with a Series S/X be able to participate?
    Its should be based on your oldest incomplete game on tag not actual account age or time since it was started
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.