Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Minecraft gets an R rating in South Korea

• Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:06
    XI AlphaMale IX said:
    Naturally, the move hasn't gone done well.
    YOU DUN' GOOFED NOW
    Haha end-of-day tired eyes strike again! Fixed, cheers!
  • xNeo21xxNeo21x1,294,317
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:06
    Here’s an idea, let parents decide when their kids can play games and not the government.
  • NetechmaNetechma602,809
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:18
    SheBeatsYou said:
    Good, there are so many other amazing games kids could and should be playing instead of Minecraft. MS just did them a huge favor.
    Prejudiced against minecraft? Curious why that is. The average minecraft player is 24 according to google but they have a sizable pop culture referenced following for kids. Kids apparel covered in minecraft stuff all over target and walmart.

Raising the age rating to 19 in South Korea, an e sports capital/video game recognized hub in the world hurts their sales and in turn Microsoft.

Interesting to see someone with such strong feelings and curious if you understand the ramifications.
    please check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DidntknowIwantedthis/
  • Six4ProdigySix4Prodigy363,770
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:26
    Rated MA in USA..
    My gamertag is Six4Prodigy now. Add me. I play all kinds of games for achievements but mainly Rocket League.
  • Rista BRista B914,208
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:30
    I think this article is a bit misleading. The government in S. Korea doesn't seem to be doing anything different and if they took any sort of new rating action against Minecraft it's not detailed in the article.

Instead it sounds like MS has changed how they were handling Mojang accounts which ended up restricting Minecraft to people 19 and up. Why MS changed could be to comply with the local nanny laws that S. Korea had in place previously. That is called out in the article but seems like informed speculation by the author vs. any sort of confirmed comment by MS.
  • EveryBaseEveryBase551,630
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:34, Edited on 08 July 21 at 18:36 by EveryBase
    Netechma said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    Good, there are so many other amazing games kids could and should be playing instead of Minecraft. MS just did them a huge favor.
    Prejudiced against minecraft? Curious why that is. The average minecraft player is 24 according to google but they have a sizable pop culture referenced following for kids. Kids apparel covered in minecraft stuff all over target and walmart.

Raising the age rating to 19 in South Korea, an e sports capital/video game recognized hub in the world hurts their sales and in turn Microsoft.

Interesting to see someone with such strong feelings and curious if you understand the ramifications.
    I have kids. Minecraft has lots of shiny purchasable add-ons that I would like to keep away from them. The one time I opened my wallet and got them each one I regretted it and they hated it. So yea I'm a lil happy. I let my kids still play it but ever since I stopped playing with them we've been having a blast playing other things. Now, these Korean kiddos can do the same.

We all know thou that the parents will just make them an account and bypass their age anyway LOL I was mostly just being silly. I think Minecraft is boring and would rather my kids enjoy other things too.
  • TheDizzy1337TheDizzy1337165,763
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 18:49
    In the United States, laws are usually named after real people. I find it funny that South Korea names their laws after fictional characters. Cinderella law? What's next? James T. Kirk law? Rumpelstilskin law?
  • BAMMphilBAMMphil1,428,240
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:12
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    In the United States, laws are usually named after real people. I find it funny that South Korea names their laws after fictional characters. Cinderella law? What's next? James T. Kirk law? Rumpelstilskin law?
    I'm going to assume the law is called that, because it takes effect at midnight, which is a reference to the events in Cinderella, where she can stay out until midnight.
    So it makes sense if you think about it and certainly isn't as random as you make it out to be.
  • BAMMphilBAMMphil1,428,240
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:13
    SheBeatsYou said:
    Like what? I'm genuinely curious, not usually a genre i'd put much thought into, so I have no idea.
  • ElyohElyoh1,100,800
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:20
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    I take it you've never read/watched the Cinderella story.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • EveryBaseEveryBase551,630
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:30
    BAMMphil said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    Like what? I'm genuinely curious, not usually a genre i'd put much thought into, so I have no idea.
    All of the Lego games involve strategic and problem-solving thinking. Sonic racing or similar to develop their lighting fast reflexes. Killer Instinct also is good for that. I get that Minecraft helps their creativity but so do games like Planet Coaster, Grounded, and Ark. Good family fun is games like Moving out or Totally Reliable Delivery Simulator. Kids need well-rounded gaming experiences and I'm just tired of Minecraft.
  • zeldafanjtlzeldafanjtl252,571
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:36
    justoneuncle said:
    I know this is a dangerous question to ask in a comments section, but who on earth thinks it's a good idea for the government to tell you when you can and cannot play a video game? Perhaps kids shouldn't be playing video games between midnight and 6 am, but that's for parents to monitor.
    I don't agree with it either, but from what I know about South Korea it's not that surprising. It's a democracy, but media in general is regulated much more heavily than in most western democracies.
    "You know what's funnier than 76? 77" - fabian907
  • RiIeyRiIey1,188,890
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:37
    Cinderella law
  • ClockWrkPhantomClockWrkPhantom1,532,136
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:42
    Spirochaete said:
    Astral Array said:
    God that sucks. I played games doing all nighters since I was 10. And for crying out loud the only time I had with myself and get my sanity and peace back from this horrible world.
    One of the best comments on this site, ever.

Hardcore gamers, even as kids, understand that the real world sucks.
    Much sooner than other people catch on to this truth.

The ethical issue then is a government taking away/restricting
    one of the few things that makes life worth living.
    Yeah but have you almost died from playing to much or sold your kids to pay for your video game habit?
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_910288

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/world/...

South Korea is on another level when it comes to video games.
    OME Kane no1 of the 7
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:45
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    Hello Romeo and Juliet laws you plebe they’re not real but the laws are.
    OME Kane no1 of the 7
  • TheDizzy1337TheDizzy1337165,763
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:52
    ClockWrkPhantom said:
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    My bad. I forgot about those. I guess it's true what they say: When you get older your mind is the first to go.
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 19:55, Edited on 08 July 21 at 19:55 by ClockWrkPhantom
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    ClockWrkPhantom said:
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    My bad. I forgot about those. I guess it's true what they say: When you get older your mind is the first to go.
    It's okay I'm old and tired to, I thought you was one of those young whipper snappers.
    OME Kane no1 of the 7
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,354
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 21:00
    Minecraft gets an R rating in South Korea
    That’s very interesting. My knowledge of the Korean alphabet must be out of date. The Hangul alphabet I learned did not include a consonant equivalent to the Roman ‘R.’
  • Posted on 08 July 21 at 21:22
    TheDizzy1337 said:
    Much more interesting than boring real people that nobody cares about names 😩
  • SE6A K1N6SE6A K1N61,152,691
    Posted on 08 July 21 at 21:29
    ClockWrkPhantom said:
    Spirochaete said:
    Astral Array said:
    God that sucks. I played games doing all nighters since I was 10. And for crying out loud the only time I had with myself and get my sanity and peace back from this horrible world.
    One of the best comments on this site, ever.

Hardcore gamers, even as kids, understand that the real world sucks.
    Much sooner than other people catch on to this truth.

The ethical issue then is a government taking away/restricting
    one of the few things that makes life worth living.
    Yeah but have you almost died from playing to much or sold your kids to pay for your video game habit?
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_910288

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/world/...

South Korea is on another level when it comes to video games.
    Those articles are purposely clickbaiting and withholding info (especially the 12 hr 0ne).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads