Guides

A forum for game tips, tricks, and guide news articles.

Xbox smart assistant setup guide — Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant

• DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs412,485
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 14:00
    Wish Google Assistant offered the option to install games, like I see Alexa has.

In general I don't really use the commands though, but sometimes it's really useful.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 July 21 at 14:04
    Damn I had a Google Assistant since ages but never new I could connect it. Time to get cracking
    daringDK2006
  • GR34TD3STR0Y3RGR34TD3STR0Y3R1,170,884
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 14:51
    What good is this? What is the point? I am not trying to sound cynical, I honestly want to know what kinda of things we can do?
    Chill out bro. Be nicer to each other.
  • Guirec730Guirec730399,237
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 14:57
    GR34TD3STR0Y3R said:
    What good is this? What is the point? I am not trying to sound cynical, I honestly want to know what kinda of things we can do?
    Well, those of us still stuck with a slow loading xbox one can have their game booted and loading during the drive home from work. That's pretty cool.
    State of the badass art.
  • ChaoticSoldierChaoticSoldier1,032,628
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 15:35
    So this is basically using smart home devices to integrate the voice command features from the kinect into the new consoles. I like it, as I have a kinect for my original xbox one, but havent wanted to replace it with my series x in my setup due to the lack of voice command options. Time to do some rearranging :)
  • odiedodieodiedodie662,510
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 15:57
    No thanks. It was bad enough with Kinect always watching me.

Why give away all my personal conversations for free eh
    - Do you see?
  • CelticCorpseCelticCorpse688,975
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 16:27
    I'm having enough bother with my alexa understanding my Scottish accentlaugh
  • jj6yjj6y332,397
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:03
    DynamicWolfNLD said:
    Wish Google Assistant offered the option to install games, like I see Alexa has.

In general I don't really use the commands though, but sometimes it's really useful.
    just get both smh
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 19:53
    So it's kinect voice commands with more steps?
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 21:49
    GR34TD3STR0Y3R said:
    I use voice commands to get my media set up all on, and running without grabbing the remote controls ect... about it really.
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 21:50
    odiedodie said:
    No thanks. It was bad enough with Kinect always watching me.

Why give away all my personal conversations for free eh
    He says posting on a public Internet forum...
  • F TANKF TANK1,078,645
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 23:10
    They're just going to snitch on you for all the horrible things you say when you lose
  • Posted on 25 July 21 at 04:12, Edited on 25 July 21 at 04:13 by Fuzzmeister J
    I didnt use the kinect enough. I dont need a less secure always listening device I'll never use now. Also alexa by default will share your internet with other people's amazon devices if they dont have internet for any reason. It can be turned off, but windows update teaches me things can get turned back on at any point.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76743,879
    Posted on 25 July 21 at 09:00
    Guirec730 said:
    GR34TD3STR0Y3R said:
    Well, those of us still stuck with a slow loading xbox one can have their game booted and loading during the drive home from work. That's pretty cool.
    Except that it needs to be in instant-on mode (which takes about 10 seconds.)

There's no "point" to it. But if people enjoy using voice commands, why not? There's a link in the article with stuff you can do. In my personal experience it's usually quicker and easier to just use the controller.
  • iDavies xPiDavies xP384,090
    Posted on 25 July 21 at 11:25, Edited on 25 July 21 at 11:26 by iDavies xP
    You say turn up the volume… But the Series X|S still doesn’t have that capability since launch.
    "For if nothing is true, then why believe anything? And if everything is permitted... why not chase every desire?"
  • Guirec730Guirec730399,237
    Posted on 25 July 21 at 14:50
    Instant on doesn't boot the game. I'm talking about game load times.
    State of the badass art.
  • Posted on 25 July 21 at 19:14
    This seems mildly useful. I could imagine a situation where it would be nice to have the Xbox turn on, start downloading a game, and by the time I've finished dinner load into the game ready to start without having picked up a controller until I'm actually ready to play. Integrating with Alexa to play alerts when steps have completed (your game has downloaded, ready to start) would also be nice.
  • DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs412,485
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 12:41
    iDavies xP said:
    You say turn up the volume… But the Series X|S still doesn’t have that capability since launch.
    I've had no issues with Alexa controlling my Xbox volume. Do you have your Xbox controlling your tv volume through HDMI-CEC? You need to set up your box volume that way now due to not having an optical port.
    Staff Writer - TrueAchievements / TrueTrophies Xbox Ambassador/Insider/Achievement Hunter Find Me - Xbox / Twitter / Instagram / Youtube
  • iDavies xPiDavies xP384,090
    Posted on 27 July 21 at 16:36
    DeathHunts#9248 said:
    iDavies xP said:
    I've had no issues with Alexa controlling my Xbox volume. Do you have your Xbox controlling your tv volume through HDMI-CEC? You need to set up your box volume that way now due to not having an optical port.
    I have the CEC set up but the volume doesn’t work with a media remote, and therefore the Alexa cry
    "For if nothing is true, then why believe anything? And if everything is permitted... why not chase every desire?"
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.