Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The best Xbox soundtracks

  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:06
    Imagine not inclduing Doom 1993s Ost in Chiptune....
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • Harnas766Harnas766166,548
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:09
    For me the best music is in the Mass Effect Trilogy. Especially Mass Effect 3. If you play the game there is nothing scarier when the Reaper arrives.
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:12
    BRiT wtfdotcom said:
    Death’s Door not being in the list is disappointing.
    Fair, finished it this week but this list has been ages in the making and while I thought the soundtrack was amazing, I'm not sure what I'd bump to make a spot for it. Still a great recommendation tho!

    Dutch x Monster said:
    Imagine not inclduing Doom 1993s Ost in Chiptune....
    I really had to hold back from just flooding that section with retro stuff tbf. Otherwise, Street Fighter, Castlevania, Mega Man, and that lot would have ruled the roost. OG Doom OST is obviously amazing, but the new version gets the series some love here so it's not all bad, right?
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:21, Edited on 24 July 21 at 17:38 by
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    BRiT wtfdotcom said:
    Death’s Door not being in the list is disappointing.
    Fair, finished it this week but this list has been ages in the making and while I thought the soundtrack was amazing, I'm not sure what I'd bump to make a spot for it. Still a great recommendation tho!

    Dutch x Monster said:
    Imagine not inclduing Doom 1993s Ost in Chiptune....
    I really had to hold back from just flooding that section with retro stuff tbf. Otherwise, Street Fighter, Castlevania, Mega Man, and that lot would have ruled the roost. OG Doom OST is obviously amazing, but the new version gets the series some love here so it's not all bad, right?
    Say no more:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGdn-TlSsUU

    Sorry didn't want to ping several people by responding to your last post. Hard to clean up on mobile
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • BitzBitz2,003,399
  • VanGekoVanGeko839,621
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:22, Edited on 24 July 21 at 17:23 by VanGeko
    Halo's and Age of Empires 2 missing. And most Assassins Creed Soundtracks are really good. And specific i love the Soundtrack from Alice: Madness Returns!
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:23
    Great original article Luke. Please do a part 2. Already some good examples above, and I'd guess more will follow below
    Daniel Jackson/ultramarine360
  • KameraKamera837,035
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:34
    Hey Luke, solid list so far. You should really check out the Sea of Thieves soundtrack.
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:35
    Dutch x Monster said:
    Sure but the article is already long so that aint bad right? I really appreciate Quality and Quantity. Like even to this day people havent heard at the Gate of Doom (EM1 Hangar). I mean authors right but was also now reflecting whats there, it's fairly mainstream and thats fine. It's an unique article and there are so many great OST's if you want to hear a really great OST, but thats really Obscure listen to the OST of Meteos Wars or the one from Child of Eden
    At Doom's Gate in particular gets a shoutout in the Doom 2016 bit, because the new version is so damn good. Give me a full metal version over MIDI stuff any day! Fair comment that this is mainly more mainstream stuff, but there's still a few curveballs on there. Honestly don't remember the Meteos OST at all, Child of Eden was good tho, but there's zero chance that would get a spot over Rez, which only just missed out.

    Bitz said:I'm hearing this a lot, it's on my backlog so keen to get involved. This list will be updated over time, so there's a fair chance it'll find its way on at some point!

    VanGeko said:
    Halo's and Age of Empires 2 missing. And most Assassins Creed Soundtracks are really good. And specific i love the Soundtrack from Alice: Madness Returns!
    Halo I mentioned previously, some great tracks but I couldn't point to one game in particular that deserved a spot over anything featured based on consitent quality. AoE (and PC strategy stuff in general) is a bit of a blind spot for me, but none of the team brought it up either. Alice had some great tunes, loved that game for all its foibles.

    Ultramarine360 said:
    Great original article Luke. Please do a part 2. Already some good examples above, and I'd guess more will follow below
    Thanks! I'm not sure what shape a second part might take, but there are loads of other amazing options out there... maybe if we get enough good suggestions in here, we could spin a quick community OST picks out of it?
  • LHTPLHTP376,983
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:37
    The First Tree has a very good soundtrack.
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:38, Edited on 24 July 21 at 17:38 by BadRubberPiggy
    Kamera said:
    Hey Luke, solid list so far. You should really check out the Sea of Thieves soundtrack.
    I haven't played since launch, keen to jump back in but haven't yet found time. Think we're planning on doing a full TA team pirate sesh at some point, which sounds like a great time.

    LHTP said:
    The First Tree has a very good soundtrack.
    Will check it out, thanks!
  • NajayNajay104,581
  • YaksimaalYaksimaal424,839
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:41
    Frank Klepacki with his original works for the old Command & Conquer games will be alltime classics, nothing beats Hell March 🥸
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn362,615
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:41
    Telltale's Borderlands intro songs are really good in setting up each episode.
    Then there's Max Payne, with great music and probably one of the most famous melody in a game.
    Arkham, Middle Earth series? Armikrog!

    Great article, and agree with Nier being one of the best!
  • DAD2206DAD2206447,169
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:46
    Pseudo Troll said:
    Where's Fallout?
    This!

    Also WET has a kickass soundtrack too imo
    40-something and still playing. Game on!
  • LHTPLHTP376,983
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:47
    For me the best Assassin's Creed soundtrack would be AC2. The tone of the music composed by Jesper Kyd is spot on. Flight Over Venice 1 is by far my favorite track.
  • Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:51
    DAD2206 said:
    Pseudo Troll said:
    Where's Fallout?
    This!
    Also WET has a kickass soundtrack too imo
    Fallout I discussed in a previous comment. Wet I actually really liked despite all the jank, and yeah, the rockabilly OST was awesome.

    LHTP said:
    For me the best Assassin's Creed soundtrack would be AC2. The tone of the music composed by Jesper Kyd is spot on. Flight Over Venice 1 is by far my favorite track.
    Yeah, Kyd is usually fantastic. Most AC soundtracks are amazing tbf, was hard to pick one!
  • NajayNajay104,581
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:54
    As much as people dismissed the DmC Prequel/Reboot game, I think Noisia did a damn good job on that soundtrack. Really out here proving they could still make dubstep/drumstep good.
  • RDSRDS408,380
  • CjhCarterCjhCarter1,271,669
    Posted on 24 July 21 at 17:56
    I've actually been compiling a list of platformer OST's that are on Spotify:

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0dD8IcSLlvkdFAjPiFYIsp?si=...

    Some really good ones that aren't on this list are Slime-san, Lovely Planet, Electronic Super Joy and Levelhead. They're more obscure games so it makes sense they weren't mentioned but are definitely worth a listen.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.