Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Reminder: EA Server Closures Today

  • Master KraneMaster Krane158,810
    Posted on 15 April 12 at 13:08
    People need to stop buying EA games.
    http://sinisteralternative.blogspot.com/
  • Posted on 15 April 12 at 13:28
    What really sucks is the online on some of those games wasn't dead.

    I was playing MMA right up to the point they turned off the servers (About 11pm EST) and had no problem finding matches with randoms, There were plenty of people still playing it warning
  • Posted on 15 April 12 at 14:00
    EA ....... enormous arse holes
  • SyntrSyntr308,369
    Posted on 15 April 12 at 14:07
    EA has always been a horrible company look at the DRM packaged with Spore. It no shit fucked up people's computers. Because of their trash security I had my xbox account hacked and $200 stolen from my bank account, which microsoft refunded. But now I have GS for fifa on my account..
    Posted from TrueAchievements Mobile
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 15 April 12 at 19:08, Edited on 15 April 12 at 19:08 by
    WickedDeath said:
    I seriously think we need to stop buying EA games
    Master Krane said:
    People need to stop buying EA games.
    This, this, and more of this.
    "You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive..."
  • TimutimuTimutimu160,920
    Posted on 15 April 12 at 20:37
    People WON'T stop buying their games, simply because they bring out stuff people want to buy, and some of them are decent. The department/devs involved with creating the multiplayer and to a lesser extent the online achievements however, need to get a boot to the head.

    Fortunately for me, this website gave plenty of notice about server closures and many boost sessions were created as a result, so for those that didn't get the online achievements...well, tough luck. Enough notice and time was given.

    EA keep on releasing good games, but SERIOUSLY review your multiplayer capability and long term service plans!!!
    Yup, yup that S41+ looks like a Toupee
  • Bar6arianBar6arian531,674
    Posted on 15 April 12 at 22:29, Edited on 16 April 12 at 00:59 by Bar6arian
    EA can stick it. I have no desire to finish Burnout anyways. Why in the world though shut down DLC to The Saboteur?
  • LockAndLukeLockAndLuke407,316
    Posted on 15 April 12 at 23:14
    Master Krane said:
    People need to stop buying EA games.
    No they don't, I don't like EA any more than you do, but as I've said before, I'm not going to stop buying games I like just because it has the EA mark on it, if you like something and then decide not to buy it because it's made made someone specific, then that's just being stupid.
    Trust me, I don't like EA, and most of their games are atrocious, but not all of them.
    "I pity you, you just don't get it at all, there's not a thing I don't cherish!"
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic442,883
    Posted on 15 April 12 at 23:19
    RuukuSukotto said:
    Master Krane said:
    People need to stop buying EA games.
    No they don't, I don't like EA any more than you do, but as I've said before, I'm not going to stop buying games I like just because it has the EA mark on it, if you like something and then decide not to buy it because it's made made someone specific, then that's just being stupid.
    Trust me, I don't like EA, and most of their games are atrocious, but not all of them.
    So long as you are buying them, they aren't going to change. The only way to stop their bullshit is to stop buying all their games. No DLC, no Online pass, no new release. You may miss out on something you like, but you only encourage them when you continue to buy their products.

    If you must buy the games, buy them Used and don't buy DLC or the online pass for it.

    Whether or not you like the company is irrelevant so long as you are continuing to buy their products. They still get their money, the shareholders get their dividend or stock price raise. I'm reminded of the scene in Clerks where a guy is protesting cigarettes with the gum salesman, but then he turns around and buys a pack of cigs.
  • JDawgg77JDawgg77200,604
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 00:39
    What time did all of the servers close? I know I got booted off the MMA servers right after 11PM and the Burnout servers dropped when a 10 race series I was in ended at 11:50ishPM EST.
  • Posted on 16 April 12 at 00:57
    EA You suck di*k :) i show my appreciation in hate words :D
    !!.DA CYBER SQUAD.!!
  • xCRiMZoNxxCRiMZoNx295,706
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 01:12
    Happy I was able to complete Burnout Revenge before the shutdown. Thanks to everyone who helped out.
  • Posted on 16 April 12 at 06:41
    I think EA should close all of their servers and let a company who knows WTF they are doing, take control!
    It's my responsibility as your friend to tell you when you are being a moron!
  • LockAndLukeLockAndLuke407,316
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 10:49
    Rhyolitic said:
    RuukuSukotto said:
    Master Krane said:
    People need to stop buying EA games.
    No they don't, I don't like EA any more than you do, but as I've said before, I'm not going to stop buying games I like just because it has the EA mark on it, if you like something and then decide not to buy it because it's made made someone specific, then that's just being stupid.
    Trust me, I don't like EA, and most of their games are atrocious, but not all of them.
    So long as you are buying them, they aren't going to change. The only way to stop their bullshit is to stop buying all their games. No DLC, no Online pass, no new release. You may miss out on something you like, but you only encourage them when you continue to buy their products.

    If you must buy the games, buy them Used and don't buy DLC or the online pass for it.

    Whether or not you like the company is irrelevant so long as you are continuing to buy their products. They still get their money, the shareholders get their dividend or stock price raise. I'm reminded of the scene in Clerks where a guy is protesting cigarettes with the gum salesman, but then he turns around and buys a pack of cigs.
    The last game I bought by EA new, was The Old Republic, as it's impossible to buy used, the key is a one-time use only code, I've also never bought an online pass for any game, I'm more of a single-player/co-op guy myself, If I'm playing multiplayer, it's for a game I thoroughly enjoy, and it has no online pass.

    It's very rare I even buy an EA game, they never release anything I like, chances are that any EA game I actually do buy, is used.
    "I pity you, you just don't get it at all, there's not a thing I don't cherish!"
  • NoRmAnJiNoRmAnJi284,049
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 14:32
    im done with EA regardless of what game comes out, i'll try do most the achievements for the games i already have played from EA other than that i'll never play another EA game
  • Dancsi27Dancsi27184,896
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 21:04
    if somebody needs the scrabble achievement online, let me know, I already have it like 1-2 years ago and i am willing to help anyobdy who needs it before it is too late

    GT: Dancsi27
  • MH The RockstarMH The Rockstar1,189,076
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 21:11
    I won't be buying any new EA games. I am done with them and their crap repackaged sports games. We CAN fight them - Guitar Hero anyone?
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic442,883
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 21:34
    MH The Rockstar said:
    I won't be buying any new EA games. I am done with them and their crap repackaged sports games. We CAN fight them - Guitar Hero anyone?
    Of course we can fight them. The question is whether or not gamers are able to put their money where their mouth is. Saying you're going to boycott something and then not following through on it is pretty much par for the course.

    And then you've got the people that wouldn't normally buy the game anyway. Like me with sports games. I don't buy them and never will. Me "boycotting" those games is irrelevant because I was never going to buy them even if they weren't online-passed.

    For a boycott to be truly effective, the boycotter needs to give up something they would otherwise buy. For me, I'd like to play stuff like Dragon Age, but I won't because of EA's business practices. I won't be playing Mass Effect 2 or 3 for the same reason (found ME1 cheap Used so I got it, but won't be getting the DLC unless deeply discounted).

    By that same token, I'd like to play Starcraft 2 & Diablo 3, but again the business practices + DRM is forcing my hand to not play them. Same goes for pretty much any game that requires Steam.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 16 April 12 at 23:24
    I won't be buying any more dead space games (new). I haven't bought Syndicate because it's EA, and I won't buy any more need for speed games (last one I got was Most Wanted).
    "You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive..."
  • LockAndLukeLockAndLuke407,316
    Posted on 16 April 12 at 23:42
    Shadow Enz said:
    I won't be buying any more dead space games (new). I haven't bought Syndicate because it's EA, and I won't buy any more need for speed games (last one I got was Most Wanted).
    Need for Speed went downhill after Underground I think, those games we're amazing.
    "I pity you, you just don't get it at all, there's not a thing I don't cherish!"
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.