Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The grind is real: 20 achievements that are an absolute slog

• KeebyMKKeebyMK488,109
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:02
    HolyHalfDead said:
    KeebyMK said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    KeebyMK said:
    I have played absolutely zero of these games, although I have done various grinds before. Mainly in the older Forza games. Stuff like 1m online credits in FM2 took approximately 20 hours with two controllers and two consoles, and Solid Gold from FM3 took approximately 120 hours of *only* driving time. That's excluding menus, car upgrading, car buying, etc. And I didn't do any of the whole "hire an AI driver" stuff. (I also did various grinds for completing all events in FM2, 4, Horizon, Horizon 2 and Horizon 3, but those are the two that stick out the most to me).
    None of the Forza games were grinds. Completing events is the what the games are all about. Now if there was an achievement for completing each event twice, then just maybe you could call it a grind.
    Completing all the events *is* a grind though. Regardless of whether or not it's the point, 5 days of driving for one achievement is a pretty big grind. It's not as much of a grind as the achievements listed in the article, but it's still a grind.
    In which case any game with a 80+ hours completion is a grind. I’m playing Skyrim right now, and I can play for days without unlocking an achievement - it is not a Telltale game with regular unlocks every hour. But in my opinion there is a massive difference between completing “fetch” quests or winning races in different cars, compared to repeating the same action 100,000 times.

If FH4 had an achievement for getting to level 99 car collector, then that would be a grind. I’be been playing since day 1 and still haven’t reached 99. Getting to level 10 in painter, tuner, designer and blue-printer would be massive grinds - most people probably haven’t even hit level 5 in each of them (to unlock the Ford Capri FE).

In Skyrim if there was an achievement to Legendary (prestige) all skills 10 times that would be a grind.

When I buy a game I want one that will occupy and entertain me for weeks, not to get 1000G in 1-2 hours. In the 1980-90’s I would (re)play the same game for years.

It’s getting to a point where I think one of the best things that could happen for gaming right now is that whenever you load a game for the first time a single achievement worth 1000G unlocks. Then people can go back to enjoying games like they used to before achievements, and the 1000G in 10 minute games will have to compete with other games on merit, lol. It will also put an end to achievements that become discontinued 10 years after the game was released.
    You're assuming achievements can only be grinds if they're the most extreme of the extreme. Even the article disagrees with this notion, as the Rock Band achievement listed is only 6 or so hours of playtime. However, it's still listed, not because it is a grind of an achievement that takes a stupidly long time, but because it's a physical grind that will tire you out after a while. Everyone has a different threshold that constitutes a "grind" to them. 120 hours on one achievement is a grind to me. Hell, I'd argue even half of that on a singular achievement is that to me (this is discounting if I get other achievements during).

Now, I know that there are many other achievements I would have gotten on the way to the Solid Gold achievement in FM3. However, when I started the grind last year, this was on a whole new file, since I had played it before when I was younger, and had gotten the majority of other achievements in the game, and then lost that file at some point due to the large amount of console changes since I last played. So yes, by my criteria, it may not constitute a grind since any newcomer to that achievement would get a boatload of achievements while working towards it (not that I'd recommend starting any of the older Forza games for achievements since the vast majority of them have discontinued achievements/DLC). But in my specific circumstance, it was basically the 120 hours of driving for that one achievement. We may agree to disagree on this specific situation, but I don't think we can disagree on (most of) the article-listed achievements being grinds.
  • xCRiMZoNxxCRiMZoNx315,217
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 14:08
    The Bladder of Steel achievement in Rockband 2 is still one of my proudest achievements. I have great memories of me and my friend grinding that one out together. I was thinking of starting Splitgate as it is a fun little multiplayer game. However, 1047 wins is a little much for me. I don't think I will want to play it that much lol. Might just play it on PC or an alternate just for fun.
  • Kaede393Kaede393283,205
    Posted on 16 August 21 at 02:24, Edited on 16 August 21 at 02:26 by Kaede393
    Sometimes I think those achievements are insulting players' time
  • BemusedBoxBemusedBox2,081,679
    Posted on 16 August 21 at 12:00
    Not sure how level 100 in pure hold'em didn't make the list takes about 100 days constant boosting.
    Boxing clever
  • DrAllsoppDrAllsopp942,322
    Posted on 16 August 21 at 12:45
    One of my proudest achievements was the doing the Rock Band Bladder of Steel and on Expert achievements together. I thought that if I failed I could still get the achievement for all songs on expert and then retry the Bladder of Steel on Easy. I switched notifications off in case I instinctively pressed the guide button or got distracted and voided the achievement. After 6 1/2 hours I completed it and saw no achievement pop up. I waited about ten minutes and nearly cried. Gutted. I then eventually decided to check the profile and saw it there with both achievements. Phew!. This was before being realising I could check profiles online. I realised much later that turning off notifications turned off Achievement notifications!. Still proud of it to this day ten years on. Ratios of 4.28 and 4.75 In my trophy case.
  • segagamersegagamer583,960 583,960 GamerScore
    Posted on 16 August 21 at 14:15, Edited on 16 August 21 at 14:18 by segagamer
    This achievement in Everyparty requires four people to boost this with. The game is extremely rare and each match tends to take about an hour, and all four of you will want to both have 100 wins, and win once on each map, of which there's 30.

Everyparty (HK/KR/TW)Secret AchievementsegagamerThe Secret Achievement achievement in Everyparty (HK/KR/TW) worth 542 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

There's also an achievement or beating the story mode (ie all 30 boards against the AI) three times.

This is a 200+ hour completion for an initially enjoyable Mario Party clone.
  • DenverMax27DenverMax27222,518
    Posted on 16 August 21 at 15:09
    The "secret" extra final boss (and associated achievement) in Octopath Traveller should be on this list. There is an INSANE difficulty spike between the entire rest of the game and the bonus post-credits final boss. You can beat the main game with characters at minimum level 45, but for the extra boss you need all eight characters to be level 70-80+. I ended up giving up on it because I only had about half of my characters in the low-70s range and did not want to spend hours and hours just grinding four other characters at least thirty levels. Maybe someday when I have literally no other games left to play I'll go back to finish it.
  • francisrossifrancisrossi401,648
    Posted on 16 August 21 at 21:58
    I haven't even managed to medal one troop in Gems of War, never mind a hundred.
  • el tebyel teby1,265,310
    Posted on 17 August 21 at 01:15
    Great comment section! I managed to finish it despite feeling very tired lol. I have MK9 and Fear 2 (will get katamari eventually). Shout out to my aptly named boosting double box partner for fear 2 Grufflegrinder!!
  • AradorArador573,588
    Posted on 19 August 21 at 07:07
    I would say the 100 Million Damage, 50 Thousand Assists and 100 Thousand Kills in Gears 5 are more of a grind than Seriously 5.0 Chapter 2
    On this day I see clearly everything has come to life
  • C1utch A5hC1utch A5h25,705 25,705 GamerScore
    Posted on 19 August 21 at 07:14
    Arador said:
    I would say the 100 Million Damage, 50 Thousand Assists and 100 Thousand Kills in Gears 5 are more of a grind than Seriously 5.0 Chapter 2
    The fact that people boost them in custom makes it seem like its not hard to do. If the achievement only tracked public versus matches (quickplay or competitive), then I am sure we will see very few people complete them.

I havent boosted these and have over 60% on both kills and assists and 50% on damage. Still a ways to go but will earn them eventually. These are the last 3 achievements I need. My seriously is already done
  • AradorArador573,588
    Posted on 19 August 21 at 07:24
    C1utch A5h said:
    Arador said:
    The fact that people boost them in custom makes it seem like its not hard to do. If the achievement only tracked public versus matches (quickplay or competitive), then I am sure we will see very few people complete them.

I havent boosted these and have over 60% on both kills and assists and 50% on damage. Still a ways to go but will earn them eventually. These are the last 3 achievements I need. My seriously is already done
    Oh yeah Seriously is harder just on the Escape Maps alone but the versus stuff is more of a grind doing the same thing over and over again for a couple of hundred hours
    On this day I see clearly everything has come to life
  • Posted on 19 August 21 at 13:50
    I wonder why Gears has these achievements so that 1% or fewer of the players can boost these achievements and play only one game for a few years. It's not like they keep a bulk of the community playing it for the achievements. They are pretty much just being jerks to completionists at this point.
  • TrombonafideTrombonafide1,170,105
    Posted on 19 August 21 at 14:01
    Fuzzmeister J said:
    I wonder why Gears has these achievements so that 1% or fewer of the players can boost these achievements and play only one game for a few years. It's not like they keep a bulk of the community playing it for the achievements. They are pretty much just being jerks to completionists at this point.
    They routinely misunderstand their audience. The people who care about achievements hate them, and the people who will get them naturally tend not to care about the achievements. Its a no-win situation for them, but they keep doing it.
  • One Hundo POne Hundo P927,985
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 15:13
    I'm one of the people who's finished Rec Room. It took me from December to July leaving my console afk about 3-5 times a week for the 2 hours per day. It was pretty brutal but the TA is worth it for me.
  • Not JonniNot Jonni1,184,293
    Posted on 24 August 21 at 11:31
    Tony Hawk 1+2 Level 100 cheev? took more time getting that than the rest of the other achievements combined
  • The SCHWARTZ 00The SCHWARTZ 001,013,564
    Posted on 29 August 21 at 22:37
    Trombonafide said:
    Fuzzmeister J said:
    They routinely misunderstand their audience. The people who care about achievements hate them, and the people who will get them naturally tend not to care about the achievements. Its a no-win situation for them, but they keep doing it.
    +10000000
    Two thangs I hate, liars and thieves, they make my blood boil - Andre Ben, "Wheels Of Steel"
  • TrombonafideTrombonafide1,170,105
    Posted on 29 August 21 at 22:55
    The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
    Trombonafide said:
    Fuzzmeister J said:
    +10000000
    Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?
  • CpL KaNe ZACpL KaNe ZA348,299
    Posted on 07 September 21 at 13:20
    The amount of people referencing or asking where's Gears 3 goes to show the caliber of comprehension the average gears player has. I include myself in this bunch, unfortunately.
  • ALoneWolf42ALoneWolf42293,401
    Posted on 15 September 21 at 03:31
    I must've read this article last month and thought "Huh, I haven't played Dynasty Warriors 8 in a while". That's my only explanation for spending 56 hours since last week trying to chip away at these insane achievements.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.