The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Ultimate Game Add-on Sale TA Team Picks (August 13th)

• DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs406,406
    Posted on 13 August 21 at 21:33
    This week's Xbox sale is themed around DLC and the countless additional hours we get to spend in some of our favourite games. In keeping with that, we've brought you five of our favourite content packs...

Please click here to read the full story: Ultimate Game Add-on Sale TA Team Picks (August 13th)
  • Posted on 13 August 21 at 21:57, Edited on 13 August 21 at 21:59 by FightingMegaFoo
    I bought the horse armor for Oblivion back in the day. Back then, the concept of DLC was new, and any additional content that existed for games I liked, I automatically bought no matter what it was.

I used to get disappointed when games I liked never got DLC. Oh, how times have changed.
  • Jazzy201Jazzy2011,714,045
    Posted on 13 August 21 at 21:57
    I'd love to finish the AC series off with Valhalla, but I have a feeling I'll see it on sale, multiple times, at a lower price-
    Game recognizes game playa...and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now-
  • Apostle92627Apostle92627604,240
    Posted on 13 August 21 at 22:05
    Naturally, the Valhalla season pass goes on sale after I buy it.
  • HosseinGTHosseinGT273,646
    Posted on 13 August 21 at 22:48, Edited on 13 August 21 at 22:49 by HosseinGT
    One thing that I learned from playing so many AC games is to never rush for playing any AC title, because even for 10 years later from now, it's still gonna be on sale every single week.
    So I'm waiting for next AC game to be released in next 2-3 years, then I can buy Valhalla Ultimate for 20-30$ max.
    I wish someday I can have enough money to escape from Islamic Nuclear program country of fucking Iran
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,328,455
    Posted on 13 August 21 at 23:22
    I was super exicted when i saw the WD:L season pass go on sale, until i read how terrible is was... I think I am going back to how i thought about DLC back on the 360 - not a chance... most (not all) DLC seems to be a cash grab lately. Id rather spend that money on a new game.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong498,561
    Posted on 13 August 21 at 23:34, Edited on 13 August 21 at 23:34 by TymanTheLong
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    I bought the horse armor for Oblivion back in the day. Back then, the concept of DLC was new, and any additional content that existed for games I liked, I automatically bought no matter what it was.

I used to get disappointed when games I liked never got DLC. Oh, how times have changed.
    I came here to post about the horse armor (barding) too. The rage over this was very much a function of its time. Cosmetic DLC wasn’t as much do a thing, free 2 play eventually got plaudits for funding primarily via cosmetics. No one would give 2 craps today about horse armor for $2.99 or whatever it was.

I’ve spent money on cosmetic stuff before and been perfectly happy. There’s not very many times where I’d say industry was right and gamers were wrong, but subsequent history has proven the horse armor was fine. Frankly some people should buy it as penance for how they acted.
  • prowlerdanteprowlerdante1,356,947
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 00:50
    Jazzy201 said:
    I'd love to finish the AC series off with Valhalla, but I have a feeling I'll see it on sale, multiple times, at a lower price-
    Same here, I waited until the Gold Edition was $19.99 or 29.99 or whatever for the last two AC titles and it was totally worth it.
  • Apache117XApache117X1,100,896
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 01:11
    Apostle92627 said:
    Naturally, the Valhalla season pass goes on sale after I buy it.
    As if you don’t know it would go on sale at some point? I never buy DLC at full price, screw that, it always goes on sale.
    -APACHE117X-
  • EurydaceEurydace642,353
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 01:24
    A bit of feedback: please link the sale in the article! At least, I skimmed through and can't seem to find a link cry
  • Posted on 14 August 21 at 01:47, Edited on 14 August 21 at 01:49 by BadRubberPiggy
    Eurydace said:
    A bit of feedback: please link the sale in the article! At least, I skimmed through and can't seem to find a link cry
    The one time we don’t, it gets picked up right away haha… fixed now, browse away!
  • Posted on 14 August 21 at 02:09
    TymanTheLong said:
    FightingMegaFoo said:

I came here to post about the horse armor (barding) too. The rage over this was very much a function of its time. Cosmetic DLC wasn’t as much do a thing, free 2 play eventually got plaudits for funding primarily via cosmetics. No one would give 2 craps today about horse armor for $2.99 or whatever it was.

I’ve spent money on cosmetic stuff before and been perfectly happy. There’s not very many times where I’d say industry was right and gamers were wrong, but subsequent history has proven the horse armor was fine. Frankly some people should buy it as penance for how they acted.
    I wish DLC would have stayed more like what it used to be. I hate that it evolved into microtransactions. I would be fine with microtransactions if the prices were reasonable, but they are way overpriced. $15-20 DLC used to buy entire new locations with new weapons and armor and several hours worth of new gameplay, or entire packs of new cars, etc. Now, $15 -20 microtransactions hardly get you anything. Microsoft Flight Simulator is actually charging $10 -$30 for ONE plane! I can't believe people actually pay that much for one item. I just can't justify paying more for DLC than what it costs for the entire game.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 14 August 21 at 03:40, Edited on 14 August 21 at 07:43 by
    The Horse Armor DLC, or Official Plug-in as it was called back then, was great because it covered up the horses'... "anatomically correct posteriors". No idea why the guys/gals modelling the horses included that little detail but the younger me wasn't too crazy about it. Rode my horse in first person all through that game. RDR2 gets a pass for the same thing because it's at least life-like rather than some low-poly Eldritch horror. Who knows? Maybe I'm remembering it as worse than it really was. laugh
  • SPOONYxBARDSPOONYxBARD1,255,489
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 04:41
    I want DLC for BC titles to get a sale.
  • elhocidelhocid410,686
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 06:04
    Fallout 4 season pass is on a lowest price ever. That would be my pick.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead706,298
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 06:34, Edited on 14 August 21 at 06:43 by HolyHalfDead
    That’s a whole heap of RPG DLC you have gone with there (Fallout 4 needed an honourable mention). And I know why. Because RPG DLC is worth it, when compared to a FPS map packs and the like that add about 1-2 hours of content for half the price of the base game.

AC Valhalla Gold was 50% off last week, which was a better deal than the 35% off this week. And I got a further $50 off by buying it from the US :) Now I know in a couple of years it will be 75% off, but sometimes it’s nice to play a game while others are talking about it and they are running special events, rather than when people are talking about the sequel.

However Valhalla is still a buggy mess on XSX. So far I’ve had to deal with the game failing to launch (it spends ages checking for DLC then quits to the dash), failing to save (with the message that I must quit the game and lose all my progress to re-enable saves), and when I was going up a hill I got catapulted 2000 meters across the map, and somehow the landing didn’t kill me.

This is the sort of stuff you expect in an early beta, and we now have to put up with on Day 1 for some games, but this game has been out 9 months!!! I do give Ubisoft credit for delivering a game on time (looking at you Halo).
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead706,298
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 06:48, Edited on 14 August 21 at 06:53 by HolyHalfDead
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    I wish DLC would have stayed more like what it used to be. I hate that it evolved into microtransactions. I would be fine with microtransactions if the prices were reasonable, but they are way overpriced. $15-20 DLC used to buy entire new locations with new weapons and armor and several hours worth of new gameplay, or entire packs of new cars, etc. Now, $15 -20 microtransactions hardly get you anything. Microsoft Flight Simulator is actually charging $10 -$30 for ONE plane! I can't believe people actually pay that much for one item. I just can't justify paying more for DLC than what it costs for the entire game.
    I paid $20 for each golf course DLC in 1990, and in 1993 I paid $40 to add a B-Wing (all 1.44MB worth). So DLC has been like this for 30+ years. Consoles were “immune” to DLC for a while as there was no way to deliver it. So blame the internet for spoiling things laugh
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • SimpsoSimpso343,667
    Posted on 14 August 21 at 10:17
    Anyone recommend borderlands season 2 pass? I have 5 pound in ms rewards also. So could pick up for 12 pound.
    Check out my site.A provider of Unique movie/TV themed canvas, tshirt and poster prints.[b]Http://www.LaughingSeagull.co.uk[/b]
  • Posted on 14 August 21 at 10:35
    I would buy the blackwood set up I already bought the blackwood expansion by itself for $40. I do wish I had waited but I have been able to play with he companion this whole time so I'm not mad.
  • Posted on 14 August 21 at 10:58
    Simpso said:
    Anyone recommend borderlands season 2 pass? I have 5 pound in ms rewards also. So could pick up for 12 pound.
    I'm a huge Borderlands fan and will buy the next season too day one if/when it releases. With that said, I have to say I found most of the DLC released for Borderlands 3 underwhelming and season two isn't even as good as season one in my opinion. It really depends on how big a fan you are. You won't be missing much if you give it a pass.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.