Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One storage — tips, tricks, and how add more

• DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs412,485
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 09:33
    Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One storage never feels like quite enough, does it? Luckily, there are a few habits you can implement to help squeeze the most out of what's available — or add some more terabytes via additional drives.

Please click here to read the full story: Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One storage — tips, tricks, and how add more
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 August 21 at 09:47
    Watched an LTT-video the Others day, where they said the Boot drive isnt soldered in, so maybe that can be swapped, however then you need a bootable Drive to Install the OS from. Maybe one could Clonedrive. Certainly Not a Methode for everyone but for tech savy enthusiasts.
  • lethelerrorlethelerror735,225
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 09:49
    the cards are absurdly expensive. i have a 2tb harddrive I used with my xbox one. i tried it with my series x but whenever the series x does something as i have it on fast power up the harddrive powers up and sometimes stays on indefinitely so i stopped using it
  • Thief000Thief0001,082,685
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 10:45, Edited on 15 August 21 at 10:57 by Thief000
    Fanta Morgana said:
    Watched an LTT-video the Others day, where they said the Boot drive isnt soldered in, so maybe that can be swapped, however then you need a bootable Drive to Install the OS from. Maybe one could Clonedrive. Certainly Not a Methode for everyone but for tech savy enthusiasts.
    It's a 30mm M.2. While it's part of the standard, it's rarely used other than in portable systems.
    Here's a good video on that subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKUVmJmAGY&ab_channel=T...
    Unfortunately, it's not as easy to tinker around with as the internal storage on Xbox One consoles, where you can almost do whatever you want with standard SATA storage.
    I personally wish MS had done more storage options, like the 110mm M.2 slot as it is on the PS5. But the expansion cards use only 2 PCIe lanes, instead of the usual 4, which is another baffling choice. MS is doing everything possible to not allow user customizability on the storage front this time.
    We're almost a year in and there are still no competitors that have presented themselves with expansion cards. Seagate has been questionable for platter storage and no competition means they can keep the price up.
  • Play FitXRPlay FitXR402,631
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 10:57
    my SX 1tb internal and 1tb card are both full with only SX optimised games. We need 4tb cards
  • Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:02
    mlkybrs r on me said:
    my SX 1tb internal and 1tb card are both full with only SX optimised games. We need 4tb cards
    I was going to say the same thing. They really need to release a 4TB option. Sure, people will cry that it costs too much but those of us who want it can at least have the option to get it.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,771,316
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:41
    I like how there’s an option to see orphaned DLC where the game isn’t installed but I really wish there was an option for the opposite - one place to see all uninstalled DLC so you can install it in one go. Rather than having to go to each game individually to see which one has/hasn’t got DLC installed.
    @ChewieOnIce | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing' | discord.io/ah101
  • 粉丝游戏粉丝游戏1,087,720
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:48
    i´m expecting halo infinity XSX will have 500GB exluding patchs.at launch day
    which can boost sellings 1TB ssd external really fast
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead709,748
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:49, Edited on 15 August 21 at 12:12 by HolyHalfDead
    Night Vulture said:
    mlkybrs r on me said:
    I was going to say the same thing. They really need to release a 4TB option. Sure, people will cry that it costs too much but those of us who want it can at least have the option to get it.
    A 2TB will be less than twice the price of the 1TB, but a 4TB right now will be at least 4 times the price, perhaps even more than $1000 USD. As they will have to fit something like this $1000 4TB drive into the same small form factor - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VF99PV8/

What you can do is buy four 1TB cards and organise your games on the different cards however you see fit. Most of us cannot afford to do that, so for now we will just transfer the games were are not currently playing to cold storage.

Right now I have my XSXS games on the 1TB internal, my XOSX games on a 4TB HDD, and my Xbox|Xbox360 games on a 2TB HDD. That’s just the way I choose to organise them.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • SuperPed13SuperPed13787,683
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:52
    Those complaing about storage space, how many games do you play then??
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 August 21 at 11:57
    Thief000 said:
    Fanta Morgana said:
    It's a 30mm M.2. While it's part of the standard, it's rarely used other than in portable systems.
    Here's a good video on that subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKUVmJmAGY&ab_channel=T...
    Unfortunately, it's not as easy to tinker around with as the internal storage on Xbox One consoles, where you can almost do whatever you want with standard SATA storage.
    I personally wish MS had done more storage options, like the 110mm M.2 slot as it is on the PS5. But the expansion cards use only 2 PCIe lanes, instead of the usual 4, which is another baffling choice. MS is doing everything possible to not allow user customizability on the storage front this time.
    We're almost a year in and there are still no competitors that have presented themselves with expansion cards. Seagate has been questionable for platter storage and no competition means they can keep the price up.
    Is it even viable for third party to produce them right now?
    I think this is mostly down to 2 factors:
    1. There is not a huge markup on the expansion drives. There is not a lot of room to undercut MS and still make a good profit yet. As bigger drives get cheaper that may become the case. I mean a generic 1TB m.2 SSD with write5000MB/s+ still hovers around 200€ in price here, so the 230€ for the Seagate Series expansion card doesn't seem too bad.
    2. The install base of Series consoles is still too small

Even if it is more difficult then necessary to produce an expansion card I would assume firms like Western Digital, Crucial, Corsair, ... would be capable to produce one, if there was a will to do so.
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:01, Edited on 15 August 21 at 12:04 by HolyHalfDead
    lethelerror said:
    the cards are absurdly expensive.
    Not really. In Nov 2020 when the price was set they was only about a 10% mark up over similar spec NVMe SSD. Not bad when you look at the propriety cooling package they come in.

I paid $500 USD for a 300MB hard drive - and I bought 3 of them. That was $1500 for less than 1GB of storage. Now you might think that was absurd!
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:09
    One correction to the article - you cannot download XSXS games to an external drive. I have my 4TB external set as the default download location, but XSXS games fail to download. You must first download them to the internal drive or storage card, and then move them to an external drive.
  • I ASK NO ONEI ASK NO ONE800,942
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:22
    Yeah no competition means they can keep their prices high, not good. We need options.
    I ASK NO ONE
  • Thief000Thief0001,082,685
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:23, Edited on 15 August 21 at 12:25 by Thief000
    Fanta Morgana said:
    Thief000 said:
    Fanta Morgana said:
    Is it even viable for third party to produce them right now?
    I think this is mostly down to 2 factors:
    1. There is not a huge markup on the expansion drives. There is not a lot of room to undercut MS and still make a good profit yet. As bigger drives get cheaper that may become the case. I mean a generic 1TB m.2 SSD with write5000MB/s+ still hovers around 200€ in price here, so the 230€ for the Seagate Series expansion card doesn't seem too bad.
    2. The install base of Series consoles is still too small

Even if it is more difficult then necessary to produce an expansion card I would assume firms like Western Digital, Crucial, Corsair, ... would be capable to produce one, if there was a will to do so.
    They are nowhere near that fast though and DirectStorage won't change the raw benchmark numbers:
    https://www.storagereview.com/review/seagate-storage-expansi...
    When they launched, they weren't as marked up, but currently they really are though, at least around here. The cheapest I can get the 1TB expansion card is at 220 Euros, while I can get a 1TB Samsung 980 (also DRAMless) for a 120 Euros.
    Of course, there is also the custom CFExpress format and cooling that counts for cost, but I don't think it would be THAT much.
    In the PC space, these prices come down a lot faster, in part due to competition.
    People also claim that due to it being PCIe Gen4, that it's worth that price, but the bandwidth is already cut in half due to it being only two available lanes, so IMO, it should be on the same price level as those Gen3 x4 drives.
    Yes, the Series install base is still small, but I don't think that should stop the other firms from competing with those cards. At this point, with the markups, there is a lot of money to be made.
  • GoyetteQCGoyetteQC1,091,853
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:40
    Just wish the expansion cards weren't so expensive, and that they had multiple storage size available. That fucker is almost the same price as a brand new Series S.
    Will you love me when there's nothing left to love?
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:45
    Console accessories do not go down (and sometimes up) in price each week. Same way the price of an Apple Mac is set on release day. 10 months later it is still the same price, whilst the cost of the components has dropped in price.

Anyone who remembers the 20GB Xbox 360 drive, it dropped in price when the 120GB came out. At some point (more than a year from now) a 2TB card will be released for almost the same price as the 1TB, which in turn will get a price drop.
  • xTheDris1nxxTheDris1nx1,350,907
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:51
    Don't waste money on storage expansion. Just manage your installed games better.
  • webdoggywebdoggy881,130
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 12:58
    HolyHalfDead said:
    One correction to the article - you cannot download XSXS games to an external drive. I have my 4TB external set as the default download location, but XSXS games fail to download. You must first download them to the internal drive or storage card, and then move them to an external drive.
    Not sure what is going on in you situation but this is 100% false.

My 10TB is set as default install location. When I tell it to install remotely (via game pass app or website), series x games install straight to it without delay. If I tell the Xbox to install it I get a prompt telling me that I can only play it on the optimized internal storage and it asks if I want to continue to install on the default location or on install that item on the internal drive.
  • HanxHanx1,412,789
    Posted on 15 August 21 at 14:29
    lethelerror said:
    the cards are absurdly expensive. i have a 2tb harddrive I used with my xbox one. i tried it with my series x but whenever the series x does something as i have it on fast power up the harddrive powers up and sometimes stays on indefinitely so i stopped using it
    The reason it does that is because the USB ports are always supplying power even when the console is off but still plugged in. It does it the same with my external HDD. I just end up unplugging it when I'm not using it, because it makes so much noise.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.