Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

What the luck?! 20 achievements that can be an RNG nightmare

  • Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:29
    Recently, we brought you a rundown of some of the grindiest achievements on Xbox, but intentionally omitted ones where RNG was the primary factor. As luck would have it, here's a follow-up piece all about those awful things.

    Please click here to read the full story: What the luck?! 20 achievements that can be an RNG nightmare
  • ajgajg288,186
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:33
    Homecoming on mine craft dungeons. I’ve been trying for months to get the bat location to spawn..
  • F TANKF TANK987,140
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:39
    I would have nominated Nier on 360. I don't know if the re-release inproved it but collecting those materials is why I gave up on the game
  • Maxumilli0nMaxumilli0n1,500,512
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:41
    Having done ring leader I can say it's much easier at this point than when first launched. Man, that was a bitch of an achievement with RNG on top of RNG on top of even more RNG.
  • Yurgi WinduYurgi Windu570,231
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:41, Edited on 20 August 21 at 19:42 by Yurgi Windu
    Gears of War 4Classy!Yurgi WinduThe Classy! achievement in Gears of War 4 worth 389 pointsUpgrade all Skills Cards for one Horde class to Level 6


    Classy achievement in Gears of War 4. Not only did you need to get duplicate cards from loot boxes or get enough scrap to upgrade the cards, even if you had enough scrap to upgrade a card to level 6 there were times when gamers couldn't unlock the card in the first place despite meaning it could never be leveled. The who achievement was just a horrible grind/rng nightmare
  • PangoBaraPangoBara1,692,893
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:43
    It Lurks BelowHandle ItThe Handle It achievement in It Lurks Below worth 500 pointsEquip a cosmetic whelp pet.
    Santino
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn289,350
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:44
    The Witcher 2 and BL3 ones were quite easy. The poker/dice achievements in RDR on the other hand, are impossible without boosting.
  • Paul LaserbeamPaul Laserbeam1,958,785
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:47
    PangoBara said:
    It Lurks BelowHandle ItThe Handle It achievement in It Lurks Below worth 500 pointsEquip a cosmetic whelp pet.
    This was literally the bullshit I was looking for in this article
  • LaB1LaB1701,325
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:47
    I like this.. and absolutely loathe RNG achievements! I will definitely avoid those.
  • SoulyDconteSoulyDconte360,242
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:49
    JCC tournaments in Yakuza 0 were a nightmare until I realized smashing the buttons didn't have that much effect on the outcome. also Cat Fight from Injustice 2 deserves a spot here
    I sometimes wonder, I'm hunting achievements or they're haunting me?
  • Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:50
    Paul Laserbeam said:
    PangoBara said:
    It Lurks BelowHandle ItThe Handle It achievement in It Lurks Below worth 500 pointsEquip a cosmetic whelp pet.
    This was literally the bullshit I was looking for in this article
    Haha I bounced off that game super hard and nobody else mentioned it when we were brainstorming this article... good job you lot are here, this sounds horrible!
  • Paul LaserbeamPaul Laserbeam1,958,785
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:51
    SoulyDconte said:
    JCC tournaments in Yakuza 0 were a nightmare until I realized smashing the buttons didn't have that much effect on the outcome. also Cat Fight from Injustice 2 deserves a spot here
    Cat fight is another good one.
    I think I nearly collected every single ability before that one
  • XealonXealon808,916
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:53
    This one was a pain unless you know someone who had the set for your class and alignment. I know people who started a new character and got them to level 50 so they could borrow my set as it was quicker than trying to get all the pieces to drop

    Too HumanRelics of a Forgotten PastXealonThe Relics of a Forgotten Past achievement in Too Human worth 26 pointsComplete a 7 piece Elite armor suit.
  • Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:53
    psybOltOn said:
    The Witcher 2 and BL3 ones were quite easy. The poker/dice achievements in RDR on the other hand, are impossible without boosting.
    BL I only mentioned as it's a recurring thing in those games and needs to stop because it's dumb. W2 is worse than any proper poker achievement as there's actual skill involved in regular poker, not so much in dice poker.
  • LukeMcC1991LukeMcC1991415,347
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:54
    What does RNG stand for
  • T JoobT Joob383,109
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:58, Edited on 20 August 21 at 19:59 by T Joob
    Yurgi Windu said:
    Gears of War 4Classy!Yurgi WinduThe Classy! achievement in Gears of War 4 worth 389 pointsUpgrade all Skills Cards for one Horde class to Level 6


    Classy achievement in Gears of War 4. Not only did you need to get duplicate cards from loot boxes or get enough scrap to upgrade the cards, even if you had enough scrap to upgrade a card to level 6 there were times when gamers couldn't unlock the card in the first place despite meaning it could never be leveled. The who achievement was just a horrible grind/rng nightmare
    TC are a an absolute joke, for this & many other reasons. This was the last Gears for me. Played 400-500 hours total & I still don't have access to the sniper strike card, not had it even once yet. Probably one or two others too.

    The fact they made it so you still get repeats of the cards you've already maxed out L6 on is ridiculous & just makes it even more of a grind for no reason, just one of the many ways they're trying to push you to buy packs.
  • Larvi1Larvi11,803,192
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:56, Edited on 20 August 21 at 22:47 by Larvi1
    My addition to the list is this one:
    The Price Is Right: DecadesDrop it like it’s hotThe Drop it like it’s hot achievement in The Price Is Right: Decades worth 95 pointsPlinko 1998 : Win $30,000 or more in one Plinko game on Xbox LIVE (any game mode).


    Lots of randomness to make this an exercise in frustration. It's hard enough to get the plinko chip to drop in the $10000 slot once but you have to do it 3 out of the 5 times. In addition, it is random when you play the game show whether or not you will even get to play the plinko game so you can waste 30 minutes going through a show for nothing.

    On top of the randomness this is an online achievement so you also need a boosting partner willing to put up with this level of frustration with you or be able to boost it yourself with 2 360's and 2 copies of the game I go back to this one every now and then but so far haven't gotten lucky (although my boosting account managed to get it in one of my sessions, go figure)
  • XealonXealon808,916
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:57
    Paul Laserbeam said:
    SoulyDconte said:
    JCC tournaments in Yakuza 0 were a nightmare until I realized smashing the buttons didn't have that much effect on the outcome. also Cat Fight from Injustice 2 deserves a spot here
    Cat fight is another good one.
    I think I nearly collected every single ability before that one
    Cat fight definitely deserves a spot here. Such a pain. I also had almost all other abilities before this one
  • Paul LaserbeamPaul Laserbeam1,958,785
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 19:57
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Paul Laserbeam said:
    PangoBara said:
    It Lurks BelowHandle ItThe Handle It achievement in It Lurks Below worth 500 pointsEquip a cosmetic whelp pet.
    This was literally the bullshit I was looking for in this article
    Haha I bounced off that game super hard and nobody else mentioned it when we were brainstorming this article... good job you lot are here, this sounds horrible!
    Even though I know it's not gonna happen, I'd gladly take another expansion in monster hunter with more gold crown achievements then play another second of it lurks below
  • xxxxPRODIGYxxxxxxxxPRODIGYxxxx1,311,963
    Posted on 20 August 21 at 20:07
    LukeMcC1991 said:
    What does RNG stand for
    Random Number Generator
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.