Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

What the luck?! 20 achievements that can be an RNG nightmare

• crooked444crooked444707,963
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 21:55
    Sad eggs - neon abyss. Achievement sucks
  • Apostle92627Apostle92627484,601
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 22:03
    I was confused when I saw I hadn't played Witcher 2 despite getting every achievement. Then I noticed they had linked to the EU version (which I didn't play) instead of the main version (which I did play). I have the achievement they're talking about though.
  • Ian333333Ian333333575,573
    Posted on 24 August 21 at 08:37
    Paul Laserbeam said:
    LukeMcC1991 said:
    What does RNG stand for
    Bad giraffe 😄

Really naughty giraffe
  • Ian333333Ian333333575,573
    Posted on 24 August 21 at 08:44
    Legendary hunter of the Sea of Thieves!!! for getting 57 grade 5 commendations for the hunters call... 57x5 types of each fish x 50 of each (10 of the rarest) x RNG
  • I Sanral II Sanral I496,711
    Posted on 24 August 21 at 10:04
    Falensarano said:
    The iceborne expansion for MHW at least evened out the crown chances… at least I think it does. It’s supposed to be an even 12.5% chance to get a crown from any instance (happy to be corrected on this!)

The original is bizarre in that they didn’t even it out. I’m also doing it on PS and still have a long way to go. 6 larges and 11 smalls. Base game. 😭
    The expansion did not even out the chances. However, the devs did make the event quests where the spawn rate is 12,5% for a gold permanent. But those are specific quests and do not include tough monsters like elder dragons and special variants. Also, Iceborn added more monsters and new crown achievements. So, I would say it has not become any easier. I have spent over 700 hours on this game and still need about 10 crowns in the expansion. Which even with sniping could easily take 100+ hours.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong408,552
    Posted on 25 August 21 at 01:30
    Shinnizle said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    IHeartParamore said:
    Getting the cat call ability on injustice 2 was a nightmare. It was my 8th from last ability I unlocked out of about 180 abilities... So I'd played for over 200 hours by that point
    I understand you have it but for others: the quickest way to obtain Cat Call is to complete the multiverse that rewards an ability. You can set an AI profile to complete the fight for you. The drops cannot duplicate and there’s not that many abilities so you can get this by logging in for 5 minutes couple times a week. Look at the smallest planet (not the Battle Simulator) in the lower right area of the screen. If the Objectives (hit Y) shows the Reward that says “ability” (or maybe it’s skill) that’s the one you want.

It’s just a boss fight. This reward pops up a few times a week. There’s Twitter, Discord, and Reddit accounts that track good Multiverse rewards if you need.

Sorry if you farmed Cat Call out of boxes. That takes awhile, though at least the boxes are far from useless and if you’re doing Multiverse to level up your characters anyway you’ll get loads.
    Still takes a shit ton of time/luck. Unless they changed how many you can get in a week... there are over 240 abilities in the game, so it can still take forever.
    I mean if it was the only achievement you’re going for sure, but Multiverse is something you do for leveling and gear anyway. You’ll probably spend a crapton of time there just getting

Injustice 2Master Of All TradesThe Master Of All Trades achievement in Injustice 2 worth 467 pointsReach level 20 with all characters

I don’t know how many you can get a week currently but I was getting 4-6 at one point plus getting quite a few from Multiverse rewards Diamond and Platinum Motherboxes.

I have too many hours in the game to say anymore how long it took (because I got them all long ago) but I do know you can farm them by just logging in every once in awhile, which if you’re spending the time to 100% the game, you’ll want to do anyway.
  • Deadmas7er6Deadmas7er6923,110 923,110 GamerScore
    Posted on 25 August 21 at 01:49
    Don't know if this been said already, but Resident evil code veronica was a bit sketch.
    Unlocking the linear launcher achievement to be exact. Have to complete battle game with each character with an A rank.
    Wesker being the hardest one since all you have is a knife and you have to go though the 20 min stage killing every enemy with it. Craziest part is you need a magnum which you get 2 rooms before the last boss, except you don't just get it, you have to try your luck with a slot machine and you either get the magnum, or a journal page.
    The boss insta kills you in cqc, so there aren't two ways about it.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,340,099
    Posted on 25 August 21 at 03:03
    TymanTheLong said:
    I mean if it was the only achievement you’re going for sure, but Multiverse is something you do for leveling and gear anyway. You’ll probably spend a crapton of time there just getting

Injustice 2Master Of All TradesThe Master Of All Trades achievement in Injustice 2 worth 467 pointsReach level 20 with all characters

I don’t know how many you can get a week currently but I was getting 4-6 at one point plus getting quite a few from Multiverse rewards Diamond and Platinum Motherboxes.

I have too many hours in the game to say anymore how long it took (because I got them all long ago) but I do know you can farm them by just logging in every once in awhile, which if you’re spending the time to 100% the game, you’ll want to do anyway.
    Bah, doesn't excuse the silly RNG grind for it. I got Cat Call before I got all my characters up to 20, but it still took forever, and I was lucky to get it when I did. I'm pretty sure I had less than 40 abilities when I unlocked it. I don't know it I've ever gotten an ability in a Mother Box. Those things were so useless.

Also, it might not have taken that long in terms of "real-life time"... maybe 4 weeks, but not being able to make it go much faster was annoying. I played like... 100+ hours in those 4 weeks.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Miojo666Miojo666328,406
    Posted on 25 August 21 at 04:41, Edited on 25 August 21 at 04:43 by Miojo666
    I have my doubts how much RNG is really involved in Hades' achievements. I mean sure, there is RNG on all the dialogues and encounters, but when the last thing I needed was to complete the devided by death quest I ran into the necessary random encounter 3 times in a row. Could've been just super lucky though, can't be sure.
  • Rich swv1Rich swv1566,224
    Posted on 28 August 21 at 15:37
    Larvi1 said:
    Rich swv1 said:
    Any Euro fishing achievement for catching specific boss species
    Yep, been working on the completion for 4+ years now off and on. Down to my last 2 DLCs to complete the boss catches, currently stuck on Hunters lake and still have Lillies to go.
    Need the boss koi and ghost on the moat, put too many hours in for them already
  • wildwest08wildwest081,446,749
    Posted on 29 August 21 at 23:53
    Did the Witcher one and I remember doing that a few hours before being lucky. Other ones that come to mind are flipyap or whatever on Halo 3. Borderlands 2 I believed had one I had to boost opening crates.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.