Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

What the luck?! 20 achievements that can be an RNG nightmare

  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead607,906
    Posted on 21 August 21 at 17:17, Edited on 21 August 21 at 17:31 by HolyHalfDead
    This touched a nerve for many people. We all have that one achievement that left scars. It didn’t help when other people tell you it was easy, that they got it in minutes. It’s nice to see the tips people are sharing in the comments to help others out.

    I remember suggesting an “RNG” flag, but was told it would apply to most achievements, which is true as random number generation is a part of writing code. Games would be incredibly boring and predictable without it. To me RNG means “luck based”, or just “random”. RNG has taken on a new, more specific meaning. Same way DLC does not mean DownLoadable Content as it refers to content that has only ever been available on disc, true for much of the DLC released for games in the 90’s. Also, DLC does not refer to Games on Demand, Xbox Live Arcade games, Themes, Avatar Items, Gamerpics, Demos, even Videos, even though they are all downloadable content. Some people don’t even consider add-ons such as purchasable cosmetics (horse armour), accelerators (VIP pass) or currency packs as DLC, and are usually only referring to content with achievements.

    Gears 4 cards were mentioned. My nemesis was FM6 cards. I had to keep playing long after getting every other achievement in the game.
    Forza Motorsport 6I Dare YouThe I Dare You achievement in Forza Motorsport 6 worth 54 pointsFinish first in a 24 car race using the Back of the Pack Dare Mod
    for me was worse than the similar multiplayer achievement. I put tips in my walkthrough to help maximise your chances. Forza Motorsport 6 Walkthrough
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • torrens7760torrens7760141,445
    Posted on 21 August 21 at 17:34, Edited on 21 August 21 at 17:35 by torrens7760
    FF12: "jam-packed with outrageously low item drop chances, but thankfully, none of those are directly related to achievements" - technically, with the way many higher tiered spells are found in this game, as items found on the location maps rather than as purchases (unlike FF12 on PS2 IIRC), there is one directly related to an achievement, which is 'Learned all Magick'. Because you have to use RNG for some of the chests/urns to spawn, and then EVEN MORE RNG for it to actually be the spell you need.

    Only 100 more people than the Concurrence achievement, on TA have unlocked the Magick one.
    Cogito ergo sum.
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn289,350
    Posted on 21 August 21 at 18:39
    Black Ops zombies Mistery Box! Loved that one.
  • Posted on 21 August 21 at 18:52
    torrens7760 said:
    FF12: "jam-packed with outrageously low item drop chances, but thankfully, none of those are directly related to achievements" - technically, with the way many higher tiered spells are found in this game, as items found on the location maps rather than as purchases (unlike FF12 on PS2 IIRC), there is one directly related to an achievement, which is 'Learned all Magick'. Because you have to use RNG for some of the chests/urns to spawn, and then EVEN MORE RNG for it to actually be the spell you need.

    Only 100 more people than the Concurrence achievement, on TA have unlocked the Magick one.
    Oh god, yeah, totally forgot that there was a spell tied to the game’s ridiculous chest spawn nonsense. I still think the Concurrence one is worse tho, purely due to how long the animations take and how many perfect Mist Charges you need to get it.
  • Posted on 21 August 21 at 19:49
    Getting everything in Dragonball Xenoverse 1 was a nightmare because of the multilayered RNG. You need to complete a mission under certain requirements, for a chance to get the extended mission, for an extremely low chance at getting the drop you need. Repeat a bunch of times.
  • Posted on 21 August 21 at 20:04
    I'm very surprised the "What the...?" achievement from Cities Skylines isn't on this list. That is pure RNG that can take hundreds of hours to witness just by letting the game run in idle.
    I was born to take it easy.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong408,552
    Posted on 21 August 21 at 20:32, Edited on 21 August 21 at 20:34 by TymanTheLong
    LIFTY187um said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    LIFTY187um said:
    injustice 2...... catwomen achevo i never got
    Consistent running multiverse events with the AI makes this one more myth than reality. Those events reward platinum and (more rarely) diamond boxes. Some events are guaranteed to reward a skill. The game cannot drop duplicates so you’ll get literally every move logging in once a week for a few weeks.

    And you don’t even have to fight, you can set an AI profile to do it.

    It’s much harder to execute moves like Meter Burn Bane Bomb to knock out Batman than to get Cat Call or whatever it’s called.
    i didnt know that maybe i will re install thanks.
    You might get “The Multiverse is Unstable” message if your profile synchs. This is to keep folks from cheating but means you might have to wait 2-3 days after you download your profile to do the events (so download and start the game once early if you’re thinking about it). I think there can be another cause (I had to research it on Reddit).

    You want the smaller planet next to the training and beginner planets (lower right area). It usually hosts just one boss (sometimes 3 small stacks of 3). The one that has skill rewards says so in the rewards box and shows up a couple times a week, I’m relatively certain it shows up consistently on Friday night for awhile (Pacific time zone). There’s Twitter accounts, Reddit and Discord stuff that track when the good events show up.

    Cat Call does crap damage and only fires at (I think) medium distance, I think I had to set the AI to Easy and I set myself to level 30 and the opponent (Cheetah I think?) to level 1 so I had the time to pull it off and a bigger relative chunk of her health where it would score a knockout.

    Best of luck.
  • LIFTY187umLIFTY187um391,232
    Posted on 21 August 21 at 20:35, Edited on 21 August 21 at 20:35 by LIFTY187um
    TymanTheLong said:
    LIFTY187um said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    LIFTY187um said:
    injustice 2...... catwomen achevo i never got
    Consistent running multiverse events with the AI makes this one more myth than reality. Those events reward platinum and (more rarely) diamond boxes. Some events are guaranteed to reward a skill. The game cannot drop duplicates so you’ll get literally every move logging in once a week for a few weeks.

    And you don’t even have to fight, you can set an AI profile to do it.

    It’s much harder to execute moves like Meter Burn Bane Bomb to knock out Batman than to get Cat Call or whatever it’s called.
    i didnt know that maybe i will re install thanks.
    You might get “The Multiverse is Unstable” message if your profile synchs. This is to keep folks from cheating but means you might have to wait 2-3 days after you download your profile to do the events (so download and start the game once early if you’re thinking about it). I think there can be another cause (I had to research it on Reddit).

    You want the smaller planet next to the training and beginner planets (lower right area). It usually hosts just one boss (sometimes 3 small stacks of 3). The one that has skill rewards says so in the rewards box and shows up a couple times a week, I’m relatively certain it shows up consistently on Friday night for awhile (Pacific time zone). There’s Twitter accounts, Reddit and Discord stuff that track when the good events show up.

    Cat Call does crap damage, I think I had to set the AI to Easy and I set myself to level 30 and the opponent (Cheetah I think?) to level 1 so I had the time to pull it off and a bigger relative chunk of her health where it would score a knockout.

    Best of luck.
    thanks alot for this extra guide i will definitely download again tonight, i will be well surprised if I get it! i gave up on it years ago but i would love to get it, its the last one i need ofc.
    gamer score is now pointless thanks to dumb indie games.......
  • Posted on 21 August 21 at 22:25
    I've been going for the Master Fisher achievement in ESO for months from doing a little bit a day (though not playing currently)
    I can confirm it is a living hell of absolutely terrible game design. There is nothing challenging about it, set aside getting the literally thousands of bait you will need to complete it. It's just incredibly boring and stupidly insulting at how bad the RNG is on it. The zones that have 2 types of blue quality rare fish in a water type are the worst, and have kept me stuck in a zone for weeks sometimes. It's just absolutely awful. I complained about it at least thrice to the support team and funny a future update included a perk that increased fishing speed so makes me wonder if my complaining did anything with that xD But I mean anybody who tries this might have complained a bit too.

    Also funny I got both those Kingdom Hearts ones when doing my no lvling up run which did not make it easier :p
  • Posted on 21 August 21 at 22:46
    I'd rather put up with a time grinder than leave it to the whims of RNG.
  • Posted on 22 August 21 at 00:25
    Having done master fisher and the nw ring achievement (100% in both titles woo) - nw rings were far worse. Even after they fixed ‘rng’. Eso is easy if you fish with one other person. Just a couple hours every sunday and a buddy and i had it in no time.
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash412,845
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 01:14
    AshenNightmareV said:
    Crown hunting in Monster Hunter world was tedious but I would say getting the rare creature achievements are worse. Specifically the Moonlight Jellyfish as the area has to have multiple conditions to spawn plus getting up to it is frustrating.

    I would suggest rare material farming in NieR replicant for the weapon upgrading achievement. Still a great game though.
    You can boost your chances of rare endemic life with food skills, there's nothing you can do to increase chances of crowns. The rare endemics are a lot easier to find, and you can quickly check for them while doing other things.
  • Posted on 22 August 21 at 05:34
    WhyattThrash said:
    You can boost your chances of rare endemic life with food skills, there's nothing you can do to increase chances of crowns. The rare endemics are a lot easier to find, and you can quickly check for them while doing other things.
    You can boost your chances by doing the event quests as well as the events which guarantee crowns. You also get a ton of mats and get to play the game. Beyond doing event quests doing tempered investigations increases your chances of it being a crown.
  • HaukkisHaukkis558,958
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 06:36
    "Bombardier" achievement from World Of Tanks is almost purely luck based. You have to kill 2 enemies with one shot so you must play artillery... and getting just right conditions where at least two low-health enemies stay close enough to each other for logn-enough you to aim and then your shell travel (2-4 seconds usually) and then you have to hope that RNG favours you and shell lands where you've aimed it. Uggh. It might take you several thousands battles in high-tier artillery to get this cheevo. Good luck...
  • Posted on 22 August 21 at 09:20
    A much older game but when I saw the title I immediately thought of this achievement which scarred me for life
    Puzzle Quest 2Cheating AIThe Cheating AI achievement in Puzzle Quest 2 worth 13 pointsBe defeated by an opponent on their first turn during any single player game mode

    Took me hours to get this, ridiculously RNG based..
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash412,845
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 09:21, Edited on 22 August 21 at 09:21 by WhyattThrash
    AshenNightmareV said:
    WhyattThrash said:
    You can boost your chances of rare endemic life with food skills, there's nothing you can do to increase chances of crowns. The rare endemics are a lot easier to find, and you can quickly check for them while doing other things.
    You can boost your chances by doing the event quests as well as the events which guarantee crowns. You also get a ton of mats and get to play the game. Beyond doing event quests doing tempered investigations increases your chances of it being a crown.
    Yeah, that's actually fair. And while my experience agrees about the tempered, it's anecdotal and has never actually been proven or confirmed IIRC. And even with that you can still go hundreds of snipes without seeing crowns. The point was that endemic life is a cakewalk in comparison.
  • torrens7760torrens7760141,445
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 11:36
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Oh god, yeah, totally forgot that there was a spell tied to the game’s ridiculous chest spawn nonsense. I still think the Concurrence one is worse tho, purely due to how long the animations take and how many perfect Mist Charges you need to get it.
    I think it's definitely worse - I did get extremely lucky in how I unlocked it. I wasn't actually even trying to, wasn't keeping score of which ones I'd already done; randomly used the Mist stuff and ta-da! So I suppose I'm a little biased and jaded because I got that through normal (lucky) gameplay whereas trying to get the spell to spawn in that one chest in the Henne Mines was literally at least 2 hours of back and forth. [I love this game but I honestly would have preferred a remaster of the PS2 standard version - but it is what it is!]
    Cogito ergo sum.
  • IRL Games XIRL Games X595,575
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 11:39
    Fallout shelter bad times bad times that one took way to long
    IRL Games X
  • IHeartParamoreIHeartParamore1,251,294
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 14:21
    Getting the cat call ability on injustice 2 was a nightmare. It was my 8th from last ability I unlocked out of about 180 abilities... So I'd played for over 200 hours by that point
  • EdgifyEdgify301,922
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 16:27
    these 2 come to mind straight away..

    Halo: The Master Chief CollectionFlipyapThe Flipyap achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection worth 15 pointsHalo 3: Listen to the tale of a young Grunt named Flipyap.


    FIFA 13Secret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in FIFA 13 worth 53 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement


    don't wanna know how many times I've played halo 3 campaign..

    roughly 1000 packs later and still didn't get a single totw card, proper messed me up that one
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.