Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

What the luck?! 20 achievements that can be an RNG nightmare

• Paw McCatneyPaw McCatney779,550
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 17:49
    Ocean's 10 achievement in Microsoft Jackpot. So many hours wasted on that one.
    Hey, you! Pipe down!
  • iTz Canada EhhiTz Canada Ehh1,001,655
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 18:22
    I'd like to throw in possibly the worst RNG achievement in any game I own:

Wheel of Fortune (Xbox 360)Instant Millionaire!The Instant Millionaire! achievement in Wheel of Fortune (Xbox 360) worth 133 pointsWin the $1M Prize

Honestly took me hours and hours to do this, and when I finally won it I legit screamed.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong408,552
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 18:31, Edited on 22 August 21 at 18:32 by TymanTheLong
    IHeartParamore said:
    Getting the cat call ability on injustice 2 was a nightmare. It was my 8th from last ability I unlocked out of about 180 abilities... So I'd played for over 200 hours by that point
    I understand you have it but for others: the quickest way to obtain Cat Call is to complete the multiverse that rewards an ability. You can set an AI profile to complete the fight for you. The drops cannot duplicate and there’s not that many abilities so you can get this by logging in for 5 minutes couple times a week. Look at the smallest planet (not the Battle Simulator) in the lower right area of the screen. If the Objectives (hit Y) shows the Reward that says “ability” (or maybe it’s skill) that’s the one you want.

It’s just a boss fight. This reward pops up a few times a week. There’s Twitter, Discord, and Reddit accounts that track good Multiverse rewards if you need.

Sorry if you farmed Cat Call out of boxes. That takes awhile, though at least the boxes are far from useless and if you’re doing Multiverse to level up your characters anyway you’ll get loads.
  • Guirec730Guirec730354,876
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 18:46
    Xealon said:
    This one was a pain unless you know someone who had the set for your class and alignment. I know people who started a new character and got them to level 50 so they could borrow my set as it was quicker than trying to get all the pieces to drop

Too HumanRelics of a Forgotten PastXealonThe Relics of a Forgotten Past achievement in Too Human worth 26 pointsComplete a 7 piece Elite armor suit.
    I've got 400+ hours in Too Human and have only completed one set, and it wasn't for the character I was using. I had to trade with a lot of people to get three characters "done".
    State of the badass art.
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,186,933
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 18:52
    I wasn't even aware Debt Collector was RNG. I just remember doing the side quest, looking at the guide for his location, going there and killing him first try.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong408,552
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 18:53
    Guirec730 said:
    Xealon said:
    This one was a pain unless you know someone who had the set for your class and alignment. I know people who started a new character and got them to level 50 so they could borrow my set as it was quicker than trying to get all the pieces to drop

Too HumanRelics of a Forgotten PastXealonThe Relics of a Forgotten Past achievement in Too Human worth 26 pointsComplete a 7 piece Elite armor suit.
    I've got 400+ hours in Too Human and have only completed one set, and it wasn't for the character I was using. I had to trade with a lot of people to get three characters "done".
    Too Human is a game I’ve always meant to get back into. Good to know that there’s a few folks out they’re able to trade so I can get this.
  • Guirec730Guirec730354,876
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 18:55
    EmporerDragon said:
    I'd say the worst RNG one that I have would be getting all the weapon drops in Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
    Earth Defense Force: Insect ArmageddonScavengerThe Scavenger achievement in Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon worth 172 pointsCollect All Dropped Weapons

Basically, there's a pool of over 100 weapons and all have an equal chance of dropping (so long as you're playing on the hardest difficulty). This of course means that every item on the list has less than a 1% drop rate, and you average 2-4 drops per mission. Though, a person would still complete this well before the Daddy Warbugs achievement, as that's a grind and a half by itself.
    Yes, that was really bad. Earth defense force 2017 had one for finding all the weapons on the game and me and my couch co op buddy must have put 20 more hours into the game after beating it trying to get Lysander Z...never dropped
    State of the badass art.
  • Rich swv1Rich swv1566,224
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 19:09
    Any Euro fishing achievement for catching specific boss species
  • BandidaoBandidao449,975
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 20:31
    Catwoman achievement from injustice 2 deserves a mention too.
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,186,933
    Posted on 22 August 21 at 21:16
    JulesFromSicily said:
    Hi, guys!
    Well, that's a great list.
    However, I would have mentioned also that pesky achievement of Dead Rising (360 version)... 14 hours with the console turned on!
    After so many years, I'm still trying to find the courage to go for it... :(
    The only RNG involved in that achievement is if your Xbox decides to freeze or not ten hours in.
  • BrutalGuitarBrutalGuitar1,619,898
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 00:29
    Paul Laserbeam said:
    SoulyDconte said:
    JCC tournaments in Yakuza 0 were a nightmare until I realized smashing the buttons didn't have that much effect on the outcome. also Cat Fight from Injustice 2 deserves a spot here
    Cat fight is another good one.
    I think I nearly collected every single ability before that one
    Cat Fight from Injustice 2 was a pain. It was my 3rd to last ability left to unlock. Can’t believe this isn’t on this list. A lot of people complained about that one when the game came out.
  • Ar0nP1aYz05Ar0nP1aYz05234,523 234,523 GamerScore
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 00:47
    ajg said:
    Homecoming on mine craft dungeons. I’ve been trying for months to get the bat location to spawn..
    I’m really surprised that Minecraft Dungeons isn’t in here, that game has atrocious RNG, especially in the Ancient Hunts update.
    Aron Franks
  • Larvi1Larvi11,803,192
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 02:34
    Rich swv1 said:
    Any Euro fishing achievement for catching specific boss species
    Yep, been working on the completion for 4+ years now off and on. Down to my last 2 DLCs to complete the boss catches, currently stuck on Hunters lake and still have Lillies to go.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,340,099
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 02:53
    TymanTheLong said:
    IHeartParamore said:
    Getting the cat call ability on injustice 2 was a nightmare. It was my 8th from last ability I unlocked out of about 180 abilities... So I'd played for over 200 hours by that point
    I understand you have it but for others: the quickest way to obtain Cat Call is to complete the multiverse that rewards an ability. You can set an AI profile to complete the fight for you. The drops cannot duplicate and there’s not that many abilities so you can get this by logging in for 5 minutes couple times a week. Look at the smallest planet (not the Battle Simulator) in the lower right area of the screen. If the Objectives (hit Y) shows the Reward that says “ability” (or maybe it’s skill) that’s the one you want.

It’s just a boss fight. This reward pops up a few times a week. There’s Twitter, Discord, and Reddit accounts that track good Multiverse rewards if you need.

Sorry if you farmed Cat Call out of boxes. That takes awhile, though at least the boxes are far from useless and if you’re doing Multiverse to level up your characters anyway you’ll get loads.
    Still takes a shit ton of time/luck. Unless they changed how many you can get in a week... there are over 240 abilities in the game, so it can still take forever.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Posted on 23 August 21 at 06:47
    Royal Flush took me about 150,000 hands
  • Posted on 23 August 21 at 07:40
    I wanted to keep playing monster Hunter world, but I don’t think it’s a game for me.
    Felt like every monster took way too long to track & fight, then track & fight again because it ran/flew away. Also the achievements seemed far too grindy. Too many games I have to focused on time dumps.
    I voted for kodos
  • IHeartParamoreIHeartParamore1,251,294
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 10:23
    TymanTheLong said:
    IHeartParamore said:

That's exactly how I did it, although at first that event didn't exist. But I still played it to the point where I ran out of coins a couple of times as I was checking every 8 hours for the event to roll over to see if I had another shot at getting the ability.

But yeah, like I said after doing all that I'd already unlocked about 170/180 of the available abilities at the time, and that wasn't including DLC characters either.
  • TreviosoTrevioso288,650
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 13:48
    I'd of picked Digimon All Star Rumble. To get all cards, their is a RNG aspect to getting rare collector cards to spawn with specific characters.
  • Posted on 23 August 21 at 13:56, Edited on 23 August 21 at 13:58 by ShaunMichaels83
    Catwoman's Cat Call I nearly gave up on trying to get. I just wasn't opening every Mother Box I obtained and every Multiverse that rewarded one gifted me abilities for everyone else... mostly Wonder Woman. Eventually I got it after months from a Mother Box and paid Cheetah a visit. Glad they didn't do this with Staff of Grayson.
  • aristeiaaristeia207,640
    Posted on 23 August 21 at 16:24
    Edgify said:
    these 2 come to mind straight away..

Halo: The Master Chief CollectionFlipyapThe Flipyap achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection worth 15 pointsHalo 3: Listen to the tale of a young Grunt named Flipyap.

FIFA 13Secret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in FIFA 13 worth 53 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

don't wanna know how many times I've played halo 3 campaign..

roughly 1000 packs later and still didn't get a single totw card, proper messed me up that one
    In Form! for me too. I had earned about 750,000 coins from playing the auction market and then sold all my teams. Spent ages selling all contracts and half decent players from the packs to be able to reinvest in more packs. Never got it.
    aristeia
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.