Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Double Fine's The Cave Announced

• ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce697,546
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 16:11Permalink
    In all honesty their history as a developer is not great. Brutal Legend was a terrible, terrible game. Their XBLA titles have been good, but they have all been very 1 dimensional. Stacking and Costume quest for example had very little variation in them. Once you had the basis of the game in place it was continue along that path until the end. Both games had DLC that offered very little either. Exactly what it was they developed i'm not sure, a few sprites and some generic looking levels that repeat with variation on a theme? This game looks to follow the same pattern. The characters even follow suite, i have seen a Knight styled character in most of their games. Taking money from the gaming community to develope another game again says bad developer to me - where has all their profits from their previous games gone? What are they putting into it themselves? Just beacuse they have £3M of gamers money does not ensure that they will deliver a good game.
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 16:23, Edited on 25 May 12 at 17:03 by CrimsonGaidinPermalink
    BrumtownMangler said:
    In all honesty their history as a developer is not great. Brutal Legend was a terrible, terrible game. Their XBLA titles have been good, but they have all been very 1 dimensional. Stacking and Costume quest for example had very little variation in them. Once you had the basis of the game in place it was continue along that path until the end. Both games had DLC that offered very little either. Exactly what it was they developed i'm not sure, a few sprites and some generic looking levels that repeat with variation on a theme? This game looks to follow the same pattern. The characters even follow suite, i have seen a Knight styled character in most of their games. Taking money from the gaming community to develope another game again says bad developer to me - where has all their profits from their previous games gone? What are they putting into it themselves? Just beacuse they have £3M of gamers money does not ensure that they will deliver a good game.
    All points about the quality of the games are true if you play them solely for the gameplay. They are mediocre. Some maybe slightly above average, but nothing overly special. What makes Double Fine so great is their creativity with environments and story, not to mention the odd brand of humor that many people love. That is why I and many others are fans of them. That is why people didn't skip a beat in donating some money their way.

So I respect your opinion and from your viewpoint as a gamer you are dead right. For those of us that enjoy games for other reasons, their history is actually pretty excellent though! The last game of theirs I played was Brutal Legends and I loved it!

On topic. This game looks interesting from what I can tell. Need more info though.
    I aim to misbehave!
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty510,916
    Posted on 25 May 12 at 16:23Permalink
    Never heard of him, the game looks good though. And I loved Brutal Legend, great game.
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 16:31Permalink
    Brutal Legend was awesome. I dislike RTS and that made me dislike the game. It still has a lot of fun moments though. If it was 100% hack n slash it would have been incredible.

Iron Brigade is amazing! Unfortunately the online is very laggy and can be very easy to be ejected from the game. DLC was short but had a neat story.

Costume Quest was like a simplified Earthbound. I am madly in love with that game.

Stacking...is fun at some points....but I really didn't have much fun with that one.

Their Kinect game was a good use of testing out the power of Kinect.

And now Psychonauts is probably one of my favorite games of all time. That amazing.

My point is everyone has their own opinion and seek different things out of games.

Double Fine is doing fine as a developer and hopefully they can make this game an interesting one. If this game flops it wouldn't be a shock but I'd be very disappointed.

I can't stand up for this game until I play it though.
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 16:45Permalink
    I'm so glad Limbo did as well as it did, I love physics platformers!
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:01Permalink
    They need to make Brutal Legend 2!
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:04Permalink
    "I'm Cave Johnson, and I approve this game." wink
    Mame Tobikomi! 3rd Annual TA Bean Dive begins July 7th, 2012!
  • dashkiddashkid206,724
    Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:19Permalink
    If splosion man and limbo had a baby they would name it cave.

Love double fine and everything they do
  • CayMackCayMack210,362
    Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:39, Edited on 25 May 12 at 17:39 by CayMackPermalink
    REBORN GAIDIN said:
    All points about the quality of the games are true if you play them solely for the gameplay. They are mediocre. Some maybe slightly above average, but nothing overly special. What makes Double Fine so great is their creativity with environments and story, not to mention the odd brand of humor that many people love. That is why I and many others are fans of them. That is why people didn't skip a beat in donating some money their way.
    This, exactly. Well said.

I loved Costume Quest and Brutal Legend, can't wait for this!
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:46Permalink
    Certainly looks promising. I will keep an eye out for more.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:51Permalink
    BrumtownMangler said:
    You're wrong. I'm not even going to entertain your ignorance with a counter argument.
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 17:51Permalink
    Very interested. While Costume Quest wore on me eventually, I've enjoyed Iron Brigade and as far as Ron Gilbert goes, I've been playing the Monkey Island games since they first came out. I'm almost always excited by the stuff he produces.
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 18:25, Edited on 25 May 12 at 18:26 by HermitTheFraudPermalink
    I got a Shadow Complex vibe from the gameplay footage. Not so much the art style, but something I can't quite put my finger on. Anyone else feel that?

Maybe it's just because it's a 2D game with an element of depth, but I feel like it's more than that. Probably it's the underground-y-ness.
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 18:53Permalink
    BrumtownMangler said:
    You are way off on Brutal Legend. I put it in for about 2 hours and didn't really like it, then decided to replay it a year or so later and really enjoyed it. You should give it another chance and play it all the way through, you might surprise yourself.
  • CHIGGUMSCHIGGUMS152,554
    Posted on 25 May 12 at 19:37Permalink
    Choskie said:
    BrumtownMangler said:
    You're wrong. I'm not even going to entertain your ignorance with a counter argument.
    This is a very interesting rebuttal, but it seems to glaze over several important talking points, such as "neener neener" and "your mom." Nevertheless, a strong counter-argument. (golf clap)
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 20:19Permalink
    Ron Gilbert? Sold!
  • BeachemBeachem235,308
    Posted on 25 May 12 at 20:53Permalink
    REBORN GAIDIN said:
    BrumtownMangler said:

So I respect your opinion and from your viewpoint as a gamer you are dead right. For those of us that enjoy games for other reasons, their history is actually pretty excellent though! The last game of theirs I played was Brutal Legends and I loved it!

On topic. This game looks interesting from what I can tell. Need more info though.
    You hit it on the nose Reborn! I was going to go on a long rant as well but you pretty much covered it all. Double Fine's product are much more artistic and unique than others out there. They're personally one of my favorite companies.
    Jump right out of a creek!
  • Posted on 25 May 12 at 21:54Permalink
    Am I the only one that really enjoyed Stacking
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.