Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Multiplayer madness: 25 obnoxious online achievements that ask way too much of players

• RDSRDS323,485
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:11
    Elite's wouldn't even be too much of a problem if there was an actual playerbase for CQC. Would still be around 40 hours to reach prestige 1, but you can pick up all other CQC achievements along the way.
  • HellAlex92HellAlex92398,552
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:12
    The Crew one is crap.
    I have it on Disc and not yet started - but this makes me think if I even should.. Still have it on PC, maybe this will do it for me then..
  • vSullyvSully1,134,700
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:22, Edited on 03 September 21 at 16:26 by vSully
    I don’t play a lot of multiplayer games for this specific reason. I don’t want to deal with obnoxious grinds at all, let alone obnoxious multiplayer grinds.

Destiny’s flawless raider achievement can be done solo.
    DestinyFlawless RaiderThe Flawless Raider achievement in Destiny worth 245 pointsComplete a Raid without anyone in your fireteam dying.
    I did it by myself on Crota’s End on the PS3 version. I did it in the same raid with a group of friends on Xbox. This was a few years ago though.

Seriously 3.0 in Gears 3 is what killed that franchise for me.
    Gears of War 3Seriously 3.0The Seriously 3.0 achievement in Gears of War 3 worth 1111 pointsReach level 100 and earn every Onyx medal.
    I will never play another Gears game because of what I had to go through for that obnoxious achievement. I triple box boosted most of it by myself over the course of three or four months. It was just way too much to expect someone to do. Apparently it has not gotten any better in subsequent games anyway.
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,250,211
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:24
    I don’t mind the achievements that are simply challenging. Flawless raider is fine even if you’re not overleveled. It’s very complex able with level 30 characters on vault of glass. Paladins is also fine. It’s asking you to actually work hard to get better at something and there’s enough spots in master that people can earn that achievement if they really want to work hard at it. It’s an actual achievement instead of a handout.

I have no interest in pursuing achievements that are simply massive grinds like gears or achievements that ask you to be number 1 on the leaderboard. That’s not realistic with hard work to get better. It’s only realistic with boosting, which I have no interest in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUia5quPnBk
  • JuifJuif615,890
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:25, Edited on 03 September 21 at 16:26 by Juif
    Trove one would not be that bad if servers were not dead
    You spend more time waiting for a game than playing
  • GilCAnjosGilCAnjos153,763
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:26
    Gee, any game with this type of achievement is pretty much begging you to not complete it. On the other side of the spectrum, some of the multiplayer achievements I most hated unlocking were some that were supposed to be super simple, but became nearly impossible because of how dead the servers were. For example, Renaissance Man in Far Cry 4 only required you to play one match of each multiplayer mode. There's only three multiplayer modes, so this sounds easy enough, right? But then there I was in 2015, desperately trying to find a match of Demon Mask, the one mode that seemed like no one played. Only ended up somehow getting it two years later. Same thing with Lab Technician on Assassin's Creed 4 (man, Ubisoft really sucked at keeping their servers alive back then). Only requires one match of one specific mode, but even as early as 2014 this was a pain in the ass to do. I ended up having to find two guys (one of which playing on two Xboxs at the same time) to get this unlocked last year.
  • BANDIT 440BANDIT 440344,109
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:28
    Bad achievements like these will keep people from playing/buying a game sometimes. Seems like bad marketing. I definitely look at the achievement lists before buying a game or starting a game. I'll skip a game outside of my loved game series if it as some of these kinds of unlocks and I'm a guy who likes a good tough unlock.
  • WebManWebMan930,118
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:30
    No mention of Call of Duty Zombies Easter egg achievements? Some of those are very hard.
  • Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:32
    I applaud anyone who can make it to Master rank in Paladins.
    Two thangs I hate, liars and thieves, they make my blood boil - Andre Ben, "Wheels Of Steel"
  • IGH KelliKatIGH KelliKat118,066
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:32
    I heard the Kane and Lynch achievements were always kinda broken. The people playing as kane and lynch could just quit and not lose rank. Maybe they changed it.
  • Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:34
    WebMan said:
    No mention of Call of Duty Zombies Easter egg achievements? Some of those are very hard.
    Theyre honestly not that bad. Most of them you can be dragged through by a single person who knows what their doing, so long as everyone is cooperating and listening to instructions
  • Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:35
    PlayUltimate711 said:
    I don’t mind the achievements that are simply challenging. Flawless raider is fine even if you’re not overleveled. It’s very complex able with level 30 characters on vault of glass. Paladins is also fine. It’s asking you to actually work hard to get better at something and there’s enough spots in master that people can earn that achievement if they really want to work hard at it. It’s an actual achievement instead of a handout.
    For sure, both really just mentioned as interesting examples of ones where solo skill isn't always enough (soloing Crota aside haha) and you're at the mercy of others. I remember we lost a Flawless Raider run because one of my mates had to run to the door to collect a takeaway mid-encounter and died (obviously), and have had plenty of random allies in stuff like Overwatch who played like they had the controller upside-down...
  • Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:39
    Next article will hopefully be speedrun achievements then
    daringDK2006
  • DefaultDefault664,199
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:39
    I have Pinnacle in Paladins but none of the others. Just recently started the grind toward obtaining 1047 in Splitgate.
  • Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:44
    daringDK2006 said:
    Next article will hopefully be speedrun achievements then
    Speedruns and most difficult overall both in the research phase at the mo, so will see which comes first! Both should be in the next few weeks tho...
  • bingo5387bingo5387149,296
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:46
    What's with this The Crew slander? The achievement is bullshit, but the game was good (really the only modern racing game I've enjoyed) and it's sequel is definitely not better.
  • No Bad GamesNo Bad Games323,059
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:49
    Masterminds on gta yes, flawless raider on destiny no
    Bears, Beats, Battlestar Galactica.
  • HallinskioiHallinskioi326,798
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:49
    vSully said:
    I don’t play a lot of multiplayer games for this specific reason. I don’t want to deal with obnoxious grinds at all, let alone obnoxious multiplayer grinds.

Destiny’s flawless raider achievement can be done solo.
    DestinyFlawless RaiderThe Flawless Raider achievement in Destiny worth 245 pointsComplete a Raid without anyone in your fireteam dying.
    I did it by myself on Crota’s End on the PS3 version. I did it in the same raid with a group of friends on Xbox. This was a few years ago though.
    Yeah on 360 its doable in solo but on the One they patched the bridge skip when ROI came out and so you have to do it in a group.
  • Sudden FallSudden Fall1,395,213
    Posted on 03 September 21 at 16:53
    A lot of these are leaderboard online so it's just rehashing same achievement's different game but I do agree leaderboard achievement's are just not fun most of mine i solo boosted to get or for example warlord on far cry 2 used a glitch cause i mean c'mon, for an offline one that's a real grind try self actualized in going under that achievement is just hell perseverance you will get a good run to get threw it but you have to grind out all 7 with rng to boot just killed any enjoyment of that game for me. personally I will mention I Dislike even small grind in some games beacuse they feel like big grinds take for example DCL it can be completed relatively quickly to a degree ignoring online cause you have to wait for events but one achivo forces you to fly for 100 hours and it's just like I'm done even before I'm halfway get outta here, and one last mention of an online at least these work what's worse then a grindy achievement a buggy one Fracture has one for playing 1500 matches mine popped when it was supposed to but then i played for 3 days straight to get it for my partner i have never gone back to the game after that maybe one day...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.