Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Multiplayer madness: 25 obnoxious online achievements that ask way too much of players

• THE HAY K1NGTHE HAY K1NG262,103
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 03:13
    I'm in favor of the online achievements sort of being separate and only counting towards the total if you've unlocked at least one. So if you only play the offline mode and get every single one of those achievements it would still count as 100%.
  • Telrik87Telrik87173,045
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 03:14
    Heh. Fun list, good read! I snagged the Flawless Raider achievement in Destiny, and had a fun time doing it.
    Almost Doesn't Count
  • Its DanIts Dan672,647
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 05:20
    Great read!
  • SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,149,196
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 05:40
    Great article. Very thorough.

And now the humble brag time,

Veteran of:

Fight Night Round 4, Class of 2012

And 2 of the 3 versions of K&L,
    Class of 2013 & 2021.
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 06:29
    NO1KEV said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    Worst bit over everything is that LP2 boards are hacked by TA members, which I've reported and didn't get banned....
    Well i know a few blantant cheaters that never seem to get bans but hey if they have to cheat/hack/mod a game just for achs what have they actually accomplished?
    The power to deny my legit completion of LP 2, I can do the PC stack of LP 2 faily easily now but like 8 of the 13 completions are cheaters which is sadge
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • Mystic MoshMystic Mosh278,138
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 07:15
    Article should've been called 'When stupid online grinds cause players to hate gaming'. Devs need to get a grip. You can love a game, even for 100's of hours or more, but throw in stupidily hard/time consuming/lucky online cheivos and you risk alienating the very people you need to make your game a success and make them hate your game as well leading to a 'fuck that' outlook when there's a sequel out. I know some people like a challenge, but the achievements in the article above are just fucking stupid and give no joy whatsoever in trying to get. Surprised the Battlefield Hardline's 10,000 kills with each class wasn't mentioned.
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 08:20
    Quake 4 getting overlooked
  • JOHN SWFCJOHN SWFC413,487
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 08:23
    I hate the ultra grindy achievements so was surprised when I looked and saw that I had the mentioned Crew cheevo. It must have been way easier back in the day, but iirc it was a Games With Gold freebie so that would have boosted the player base for a time.

I unlocked it after the "spend 24 hours in a crew" cheevo so it must still have been quite the grind, the worst thing I recall about the game was spending hours driving around the same track to unlock a cheevo for doing so many laps.
  • thebritt2001thebritt2001484,696
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 08:33
    EmporerDragon said:
    I honestly hate how practically any game with online multiplayer makes achievements with the assumption that that will be the only game you'll ever play for the lifetime of the console and that there will be thousands of concurrent players at any given time.
    I can really only think of one game that's done online multiplayer achievements right, and that's been Mass Effect 3, since all of the achievements had a corresponding unlock requirement in single-player.
    I agree with you 100%. I wish more developers would do this.
  • Blue RadiumBlue Radium986,630
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 09:22
    I've gotten the ESO and Neverwinter ones.

Emperor is an extraordinary challenge. Wrote a guide detailing how silly it can get.

Neverwinter PvP is dreadful if you don't have an endgame PvP focused build. I modified my Rogue into an ultra glass cannon that made this grind a good amount of fun, often able to overcome tanky builds, and insta-gibbing players not built for PvP with a single button press. But if my burst failed I was extra dead. Ended up making some PvP friends and making a bit of rep for myself, being very active in a small community for the time I was targeting the wins and captures achievements. Hardly anyone plays it, and those who do are usually fully geared to stomp non-elites.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,395,529
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 10:05
    RDS#5610 said:
    Elite's wouldn't even be too much of a problem if there was an actual playerbase for CQC. Would still be around 40 hours to reach prestige 1, but you can pick up all other CQC achievements along the way.
    Honestly, a better E:D choice for this is Triple Elite, mainly because it requires a fuckton of boring combat grinding. Trade and exploration elite are relatively quick/easy (within the context of a galactic-scale space MMO).
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 10:42, Edited on 04 September 21 at 10:43 by xRNMxSnipeKinG
    Totally agree with most of these, except I would add this one:
    Call of Duty: World at WarSecret AchievementxRNMxSnipeKinGThe Secret Achievement achievement in Call of Duty: World at War worth 0 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement
    Took me 317 hours of daily boosting, can’t imagine the hours required to do this in normal play.
  • x ALBANACH xx ALBANACH x315,320
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 10:39
    The Globalizer said:
    RDS#5610 said:
    Elite's wouldn't even be too much of a problem if there was an actual playerbase for CQC. Would still be around 40 hours to reach prestige 1, but you can pick up all other CQC achievements along the way.
    Honestly, a better E:D choice for this is Triple Elite, mainly because it requires a fuckton of boring combat grinding. Trade and exploration elite are relatively quick/easy (within the context of a galactic-scale space MMO).
    I've been away from the game for a while now, but there are (were?) members of the Hutton Truckers faction who organised regular Saturday CQC sessions.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,395,529
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 11:20, Edited on 04 September 21 at 11:20 by The Globalizer
    x ALBANACH x said:
    The Globalizer said:
    RDS#5610 said:
    I've been away from the game for a while now, but there are (were?) members of the Hutton Truckers faction who organised regular Saturday CQC sessions.
    Not sure - I did this in a boosting group and it took a few months of weekly sessions but it wasn't remotely the longest or most boring boosting grind I've done.
  • Omniscient AlOmniscient Al1,288,450
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 12:52, Edited on 04 September 21 at 12:54 by Omniscient Al
    xONLY INSANEx said:
    Quake 4 getting overlooked
    Exactly. Getting to the top of the leaderboard was a real pain what with that Pancake Parade dude and his German nemesis running up the leaderboards. There were also the perfectionists that kept trying to get the highest number of kills on their turn and going insane when we three others couldn't get to the killing point soon enough to suit them.. I bought 4 xboxes so I didn't have to deal with the drama anymore. There is also the Quake 4 achievement for playing 5000 Ranked Multiplayer matches. Each match takes 5 minutes give or take a few seconds. My four boxes came in handy. Still, 25 000 minutes is 422 hours. A fair chunk of time. If you meet up with other boosters who refuse to wait 10 seconds for you to get into your own game before starting theirs ( à la Kraft Dinner Kid) then you'll be looking at closer to 500 hours.
    When I was on the cusp of finishing my last game to reach the top of the leaderboard, I called my wife over to the TV screen to watch, When the achievement popped, I said to her: ''That pop means I'm number one in the world.'' She patted my hand and said: ''That's nice dear. Lunch is ready.'' Civilians, sheesh!
    Al
  • pomikolipomikoli365,323
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 12:54
    Would love to see recroom on here
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 13:22
    Climbing to the top of a leaderboard is an insane task. Can't believe that is an achievement...
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 13:37
    I want to do all the gears seriously and online Cheetos before I dive into its single player.
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,310,908
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 15:36
    Oh wow, I've been waiting for this article to hammer it home one more time...

Dog of War.
    Tom Clancy's EndWarDog of WarThe Dog of War achievement in Tom Clancy's EndWar worth 6100 pointsWin a Theater of War Phase as each Faction; you must have played as that Faction in 10 missions.

Not only does it ask you to be on the winning side of a global conflict that takes a minimum of 10 days (theoretically), but you have to do it once for all three factions.

Ignore the fact that no faction even won a conflict in the first 3 months of the game's existence, but when Ubisoft saw that the conflict was broken to the point of no one being able to pull it off, they changed the requirements to make the victory... "possible".

And in so doing, that patch completely broke the achievement since the requirements no longer matched up with what Ubisoft called a win.

So thanks, Ubisoft, for making an unwinnable conflict, making us win it three separate times, then NOT EVEN GIVING US THE DAMN ACHIEVEMENT ANYWAY.

#DogOfWarForever
    #NeverForget
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 15:47
    The only ones I've earned are the 2 in Kane and Lynch which are probably the hardest by miles. Shame it was on my last tag. 15th completion though :)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.