Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Multiplayer madness: 25 obnoxious online achievements that ask way too much of players

• HmizzzHmizzz495,819
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 15:53
    No Dragon Ball Fighter Z ?
  • DD91DD91550,653
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 15:53
    GRAW1 just brutal achievements when I first got my 360 in 2006 but wasn't so into completions at the time. Great game, though.
    Day 1 Gears of War player. Seriously achievement April 2007.
  • KexolKexol440,243
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 16:45
    PlayUltimate711 said:
    I don’t mind the achievements that are simply challenging. Flawless raider is fine even if you’re not overleveled. It’s very complex able with level 30 characters on vault of glass. Paladins is also fine. It’s asking you to actually work hard to get better at something and there’s enough spots in master that people can earn that achievement if they really want to work hard at it. It’s an actual achievement instead of a handout.

I have no interest in pursuing achievements that are simply massive grinds like gears or achievements that ask you to be number 1 on the leaderboard. That’s not realistic with hard work to get better. It’s only realistic with boosting, which I have no interest in.
    FACTS
  • GatorFistGatorFist458,475
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 19:27
    The GTA V one isn’t even that hard.
  • el tebyel teby1,059,434
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 19:57
    Omniscient Al said:
    xONLY INSANEx said:
    Quake 4 getting overlooked
    Exactly. Getting to the top of the leaderboard was a real pain what with that Pancake Parade dude and his German nemesis running up the leaderboards. There were also the perfectionists that kept trying to get the highest number of kills on their turn and going insane when we three others couldn't get to the killing point soon enough to suit them.. I bought 4 xboxes so I didn't have to deal with the drama anymore. There is also the Quake 4 achievement for playing 5000 Ranked Multiplayer matches. Each match takes 5 minutes give or take a few seconds. My four boxes came in handy. Still, 25 000 minutes is 422 hours. A fair chunk of time. If you meet up with other boosters who refuse to wait 10 seconds for you to get into your own game before starting theirs ( à la Kraft Dinner Kid) then you'll be looking at closer to 500 hours.
    When I was on the cusp of finishing my last game to reach the top of the leaderboard, I called my wife over to the TV screen to watch, When the achievement popped, I said to her: ''That pop means I'm number one in the world.'' She patted my hand and said: ''That's nice dear. Lunch is ready.'' Civilians, sheesh!
    Gave me a good laugh
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 20:34
    BANDIT 440 said:
    Bad achievements like these will keep people from playing/buying a game sometimes. Seems like bad marketing. I definitely look at the achievement lists before buying a game or starting a game. I'll skip a game outside of my loved game series if it as some of these kinds of unlocks and I'm a guy who likes a good tough unlock.
    True that. There have been a few games that I haven't purchased because I looked at the achievement list. Back in the day, we played games without them, but now that they exist, developers should really consider the impact achievements have on the gaming experience.
    I was born to take it easy.
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 23:44
    I got K&L, FNR4, and Destiny achievements.
    Start at crazy, then work backwards.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong408,736
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 00:16
    SMITE is a great game but it’s literally chocked full of these kinds of achievements, often doing something that is extremely unlikely. I think I earned my first Pentakill after 5+ years of playing and there’s way harder achievements than that (specific god, do something hard/unlikely with a specific ability).
  • Scorpionxx0Scorpionxx0385,177
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 02:03
    Battlefield VDeath from AboveScorpionxx0The Death from Above achievement in Battlefield V worth 457 pointsIn Multiplayer, destroy 5 manned stationary weapons with a Airplane

This deserves an honorable mention, although easily boosted this one be a nightmare to do legit as it requires ou to fly a plane & destroy a gun emplacement with an enemy player in it. I got it legit but it took a lot of hours to get done.
  • Brelen RavenBrelen Raven179,525
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 02:46
    K1LL3R BEEZ said:
    Brelen Raven said:
    I had a French Canadian Warlock guy who barely spoke any English (no mic) and 2 random Hunters (also no mic) as my crew for Flawless Raider on 360 Destiny. To this day I have no clue how the stars aligned for that one. laugh

After that horrible, horrible experience of trying to 100% that game for a year straight I refuse to touch XB1 Destiny and I'm certainly never playing Destiny 2 since I can't even import my Destiny 1 guy anymore.
    Don't know if it's still available but importing your character into one version of D1 would unlock any achievements earned in the other. I started playing on 360, imported my character to X1 and popped all the stuff I earned to that point. Then once I got the rest of the 1k on X1, I went back to 360 and popped the rest I needed there. This was from way before so idk if it still works but you'd be sitting on a free 1k pretty much!
    Yeah, I heard about this. Think it only popped all the base game Achievements, not any of the Taken King stuff. At least, that's what one of the guys said who I was playing with. Taken King stuff was the most irritating part of the entire completion, so even if I could import my character... I ain't doing that crap again. 😆
  • FalensaranoFalensarano1,035,811
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 02:47
    I’ve managed to get the ESO and Destiny ones. Emperor isn’t hard if the conditions are right but deserves its place on the list because all it takes is some crazy people to see what’s going on and stop you, even if you play during unsociable hours.

Destiny appears to have caused some division in the comments but if you look at what that achievement wants from you and the description given by the author, then yes it’s suitable for the article. Just because people found cheeses shouldn’t detract from the intend BS of the achievement.
  • Posted on 05 September 21 at 12:52
    HolyHalfDead said:
    When I saw the title of the article I immediately thought of this
    Forza Motorsport 6Thru the PackThe Thru the Pack achievement in Forza Motorsport 6 worth 171 pointsStart last and finish first in a Multiplayer Race with 24 cars

Then I thought of all the single player games that have a multiplayer mode bolted on - BioShock, Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry.

Edit: totally agree that an achievement related to top spot on a global leader are the worst. Being number 1 on any leaderboard is an accomplishment in it’s own right, without needing an achievement tied to it.

What I don’t consider are achievements that cannot be boosted that require your team (not just you) to be good at a game. For example some of the Halo Vidmaster challenges, Destiny VoG in year 1 and other achievements like this
    Warhammer 40,000: Space MarineHereticThe Heretic achievement in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine worth 38 pointsComplete a public Co-op game in the Chaos Invasion mission.
    Getting the same group together week after week while you perfect your team work is far more pleasurable, frustrating and rewarding. Those are the achievements I am most proud of, not achievements for manipulating lobbies or grinding out the same action 100,000 times. Getting Seriously 3.0 made me sad, but I was proud of the Gears series 100% completion.

But for me the (second) worst kind of multiplayer achievements are the ones they put in ranked modes, and then divide the player base into regions.
    Gears of War 4Getting CompetitiveThe Getting Competitive achievement in Gears of War 4 worth 308 pointsIn Versus, win 25 matches in Competitive playlists (Public Only)
    Even a terrible player can get 25 wins when randomly matched with a team that carries them. But if it is impossible to find enough players to start a match even on the day it was released then the achievement is unobtainable to unlock legitimately. For this one I took matters into my own hands, powered up all my consoles and arranged everyone I know to search for a match at the same time. And for doing that I earned a permanent ban from all online modes, including Horde.
    Couldn't agree more on FM6's Thru The Pack, getting that achievement was the one and only horrible session I've ever had on here, had I not been a complete c**t and cut in front of a bunch of people that day I probably still wouldn't have the achievement now.

The original session organiser couldn't make it so someone stepped in and they proceeded to push everyone without a mic to the back and basically forgot/ignored them the entire 5 hour+ session while people who weren't even listed in the session were arriving late and getting their win within a few races, so when I started 24th by accident I took my chance and then promptly left afterwards, not to mention there was some other tossbag who for some reason was obsessed with finishing 2nd every time and would try ramming his way through to that position if that's what it took.

There was at least 1 person who was there at the start and was still there when I left that never ended up getting the achievement.

Unsurprisingly both gave me retaliatory bad feedback on here after, thankfully getting it in FM7 was far better + quicker.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • x ALBANACH xx ALBANACH x315,320
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 12:53
    The Globalizer said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    The Globalizer said:
    RDS#5610 said:
    Elite's wouldn't even be too much of a problem if there was an actual playerbase for CQC. Would still be around 40 hours to reach prestige 1, but you can pick up all other CQC achievements along the way.
    Honestly, a better E:D choice for this is Triple Elite, mainly because it requires a fuckton of boring combat grinding. Trade and exploration elite are relatively quick/easy (within the context of a galactic-scale space MMO).
    I've been away from the game for a while now, but there are (were?) members of the Hutton Truckers faction who organised regular Saturday CQC sessions.
    Not sure - I did this in a boosting group and it took a few months of weekly sessions but it wasn't remotely the longest or most boring boosting grind I've done.
    It's not a bad game at all, and the CQC arena can be fun and a great way to unwind from the main game. With the right group, I can imagine that you wouldn't even notice the grind much at all.

I switched to PC for Elite. VR and a HOTAS take it to another level, but with the size and scope of the game, XBOX achievements can at least give you more of a purpose or a direction to head in. I feel like I'll dip back in when/if the latest expansions finally land on all formats.
  • Posted on 05 September 21 at 13:28
    Reaching level 60 in OWC in Fight Night Champion is such a pain in the ass. It would be simple to do with a boosting partner if it wasn't so glitchy in counting wins, and near impossible to match up with the exact boosting partner!
    One does not simply stop playing xbox
  • Posted on 05 September 21 at 13:58, Edited on 05 September 21 at 14:53 by ThreeHaddock62
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Reaching level 60 in OWC in Fight Night Champion is such a pain in the ass. It would be simple to do with a boosting partner if it wasn't so glitchy in counting wins, and near impossible to match up with the exact boosting partner!
    If it were just that "simple", a hell of a lot more than 33 people here would have it.

A lot of Ach's mentioned lately have no place here, the 5 plane kills in Battlefield and going from last to 1st in Forza and sucky ach's, but they aren't that bad with decent coordination.
    Hola
  • Apostle92627Apostle92627484,601
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 15:27, Edited on 05 September 21 at 15:34 by Apostle92627
    You guys have Neverwinter listed but not Dragon's Bane. That achievement took me a month or two to unlock a few years ago a few hours per day, running the same crappy dungeon, hunting the same crappy 7 dragons.
  • Slurm QueenSlurm Queen323,593
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 15:59
    Maybe I'm just super bitter about it because it took me 3 years to do but the Ranked Champion achievement from Unreal Tournament 3 was horrible. 500 ranked wins and the servers were pretty dead not long after it came out.
  • Rista BRista B629,127
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 21:48
    I've gotten to the point where I don't even look at online achievements for the most part. It's really disappointing that MS has done nothing to try to improve the achievement system with the new generation of consoles and that a lot of games from their studios seem to think that achievement should be based around a lot of tedious, repetitive grinds just adds salt to the wound.
  • SabieKunSabieKun125,904
    Posted on 06 September 21 at 07:13
    I am getting interested with all that leaderboard blocking lore, we should get an article about some bizarre occasions that happened and how TAers managed to fight them lol
  • MAH BOI 420MAH BOI 420386,518
    Posted on 06 September 21 at 07:57
    You could count Rayman Legends as you're technically playing against other people and the average player will spend at least three straight months on it, if I didn't complete it across 4 different systems already.

I might have problems.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.