Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Multiplayer madness: 25 obnoxious online achievements that ask way too much of players

• Posted on 06 September 21 at 08:08
    This is the single worst online achievement I've ever obtained

Forza Motorsport 7UnderdogNegativeCreep08The Underdog achievement in Forza Motorsport 7 worth 123 pointsStart last and finish first in a Multiplayer race with 24 cars

Of course it was via boosting, as getting it legitimately would be virtually impossible. You'd have to find a lobby of 23 other people, hope the random order places you at the back, hope not a single person drops out whilst the game was loading because if you start with 23 it won't count, then just the small matter of winning the race.

Even boosting is hard, not just getting enough people but hoping no one loses their connection whilst the track loads, and everyone else does what they're told. When it came round to my turn after hours of trying someone else just didn't pay attention and won the race, which I remember well as it was the only time I've ever gotten angry with someone in a boosting session (but couldn't say anything, since if they'd left no one else could have got it).
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 09:14
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Reaching level 60 in OWC in Fight Night Champion is such a pain in the ass. It would be simple to do with a boosting partner if it wasn't so glitchy in counting wins, and near impossible to match up with the exact boosting partner!
    If it were just that "simple", a hell of a lot more than 33 people here would have it.

A lot of Ach's mentioned lately have no place here, the 5 plane kills in Battlefield and going from last to 1st in Forza and sucky ach's, but they aren't that bad with decent coordination.
    You're completely missing the point. I said if the matchmaking wasn't so difficult to manage it would be simple
    One does not simply stop playing xbox
  • DrNefarioDrNefario175,354
    Posted on 06 September 21 at 10:16
    All I could think of was poor old Fracture. A game they clearly expected/hoped would catch on more than it did.
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 14:55
    TymanTheLong said:
    SMITE is a great game but it’s literally chocked full of these kinds of achievements, often doing something that is extremely unlikely. I think I earned my first Pentakill after 5+ years of playing and there’s way harder achievements than that (specific god, do something hard/unlikely with a specific ability).
    Sadly, these achievement were much, much easier in the early days of SMITE -- I legitimately got most of the "hard" base achievements (get 20 kills with one death or less, pentakill, etc) in fluky games when most of the playerbase was just trying out the game. Nowadays, this is much, much, much harder.

Fortunately, just about all achievements in this game are boost-able. Those that aren't are generally in the "put a metric ****to of hours into the game" category.
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 17:00
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Reaching level 60 in OWC in Fight Night Champion is such a pain in the ass. It would be simple to do with a boosting partner if it wasn't so glitchy in counting wins, and near impossible to match up with the exact boosting partner!
    If it were just that "simple", a hell of a lot more than 33 people here would have it.

A lot of Ach's mentioned lately have no place here, the 5 plane kills in Battlefield and going from last to 1st in Forza and sucky ach's, but they aren't that bad with decent coordination.
    You're completely missing the point. I said if the matchmaking wasn't so difficult to manage it would be simple
    Sure Buddy, I'm the one that missed the point...
    Hola
  • Iggsy81Iggsy81496,662
    Posted on 06 September 21 at 21:13
    I know a couple of others mentioned it but i immediately thought of Forza's start last and finish first in a 24 player race for this topic. It requires ridiculous RNG AND skill as well to do legit. I really hate chevos where the only legit way of getting it is boosting.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Montaigne83
  • Iggsy81Iggsy81496,662
    Posted on 06 September 21 at 21:30
    SabieKun said:
    I am getting interested with all that leaderboard blocking lore, we should get an article about some bizarre occasions that happened and how TAers managed to fight them lol
    Yeah agree, i read the K&L thread and it's fascinating. Someone should make a documentary about it and the people involved, it'd genuinely be super-interesting!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Montaigne83
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 22:29
    NegativeCreep08 said:
    This is the single worst online achievement I've ever obtained

Forza Motorsport 7UnderdogNegativeCreep08The Underdog achievement in Forza Motorsport 7 worth 123 pointsStart last and finish first in a Multiplayer race with 24 cars

Of course it was via boosting, as getting it legitimately would be virtually impossible. You'd have to find a lobby of 23 other people, hope the random order places you at the back, hope not a single person drops out whilst the game was loading because if you start with 23 it won't count, then just the small matter of winning the race.

Even boosting is hard, not just getting enough people but hoping no one loses their connection whilst the track loads, and everyone else does what they're told. When it came round to my turn after hours of trying someone else just didn't pay attention and won the race, which I remember well as it was the only time I've ever gotten angry with someone in a boosting session (but couldn't say anything, since if they'd left no one else could have got it).
    I know exactly how you feel, though with it being FM7 some of the blame for that has to go on the host as they can sort the grid order themselves in that one.

The session I did in FM6 pissed me off that much I've completely forgotten whether you can sort the grid out in that or not, all I'll ever remember about that game's MP is that session of hours and hours of being fucked about for no other reason than having no mic and then having no other choice but to be a grade A knob to get the achievement.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 22:57
    Anything requiring "top position in a global leaderboard" is pure horseshit.
  • Posted on 07 September 21 at 07:49
    TheGillesMuller said:
    I know exactly how you feel, though with it being FM7 some of the blame for that has to go on the host as they can sort the grid order themselves in that one.

The session I did in FM6 pissed me off that much I've completely forgotten whether you can sort the grid out in that or not, all I'll ever remember about that game's MP is that session of hours and hours of being fucked about for no other reason than having no mic and then having no other choice but to be a grade A knob to get the achievement.
    Oh they did sort the grid order, it just took hours because people kept losing their connection before the race started and one or two didn't listen.
  • AlehldeanAlehldean273,631
    Posted on 07 September 21 at 18:26
    The reason I'll never 100% the Elder Scroll series:
    The Elder Scrolls OnlineEmperor!The Emperor! achievement in The Elder Scrolls Online worth 1772 pointsDominate the Alliance War battlefield and become Emperor of Tamriel. Long may you reign!
  • wildwest08wildwest081,446,909
    Posted on 12 September 21 at 00:15
    I don't have any of these as I am not a big MP fan anymore. I agree with a lot of people here that developers do them to artificially inflate the time played in their game. I did Gears 4 and I was missing out on a lot of games that I wanted to play. That was my last Gears game. I play more of the games I want to now and just need to kick my completion habit lol
  • Posted on 14 September 21 at 19:56
    I know that it's been talked about before, but The Final Chapter achievement in Friday the 13th absolutely deserves to be in this list. 1000 matches as Jason...
  • DiegoTanDiegoTan316,419
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 17:48
    Might wanna add the "Streamer" achievement from new Jackbox Party 8, requiring you to have a thousand? or a couple of thousands gamers playing with you as audience at the same time. Wonder if anyone except famous YouTubers will get that one.
    This website is great!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.