Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Game Pass First Impressions: Craftopia

• EazyE2285EazyE2285734,659
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 21:04
    Played 3 hours. Basically trash it the entire time. Call it passable. Review is sus as fuck. Call it a hard pass if you didn’t like it as it’s a personal review of the game in its current state
  • Posted on 04 September 21 at 22:11
    I love mediocre games. I'll add this to the list
    The Ferg
  • Posted on 05 September 21 at 01:32
    It literally crashes every time I try to leave the first island cry. Also occasionally just randomly lol.
  • GoyetteQCGoyetteQC1,088,745
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 10:54
    How does it compare to Windbound? Bought it on sale a few weeks back and I'm debating which one to start first.
    Will you love me when there's nothing left to love?
  • Posted on 05 September 21 at 15:13, Edited on 05 September 21 at 15:16 by Bill a Bob Joe
    It's really clunky at the moment, but I see potential if they keep building it out.
  • Seeker06Seeker06275,138
    Posted on 05 September 21 at 22:14
    I played it for about anbhour before deciding to play botw again, why play a poor imitation when i own the real thing XD
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 02:08
    C64 Mat said:
    Typical Chinese game.

Takes elements of popular titles, emulates them slightly worse with zero passion.
    it's developed by a Japanese studio but okay.
  • Anti ChampAnti Champ1,262,446
    Posted on 06 September 21 at 05:39
    Achievements are relatively simple, but if you don't like the game in the first hour or two, you're not going to enjoy the rest of it. Basically an information overload with no general direction other than, level up your altar to advance the ages and unlock more zones to travel to. Navigating the menus, toolbar and aiming with spells and weapons (bow and arrows), feels really bad on controller.

Half the time when I aim at an enemy or creature, I "miss" and hit the bush next to it instead. This 'game preview' needs a lot of work on the tutorial and introduction to building, not because it's difficult (it's not hard at all), just that it doesn't bother to tell you much except for the mission tab.

The game might be able to be boosted by joining someone who has all the required materials and zones, but I have yet to test that theory (or even multiplayer).
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 September 21 at 07:09
    Brave Fencer Vu said:
    C64 Mat said:
    Typical Chinese game.

Takes elements of popular titles, emulates them slightly worse with zero passion.
    it's developed by a Japanese studio but okay.
    Well, that shows what I know. Thank you for my orthopaedic shoes laughredface
    "I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 07:16
    Played it for about 2 hours on X series. Ran very smoothly/ The only thing I will say is that the combat is a bit clunky, needs to slightly auto-lock opponents as the camera is a bit wonky. Also, when climbing, you might get very funny camera angles where you can't see what you're doing.
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 07:52
    C64 Mat said:
    Well, that shows what I know. Thank you for my orthopaedic shoes laughredface
    the game is a low quality imitator, no doubt about it. but the fact that they chose to attempt something somewhat ambitious when they could just as easily hav taken the v novel/ gacha route like a huuuuge amount of JP indie devs do is actually a good sign, imo. maybe that ambition (combined with a little dedication) will give us a good product somewhere down the line and not, atm, an underwhelming BOTW chimera.
  • Posted on 06 September 21 at 13:33
    Been playing on the oneS and would love to recommend, but can't. I can't even leave the first island. The game crashes every time. It also crashes periodically for no reason. I'm still playing it though. I'm a sucker for games like this.
  • Posted on 13 September 21 at 23:50
    G?umpy#8135 said:
    I haven’t had any crashes on Series X. This game is a little rough around the edges but I have really enjoyed the handful of hours I’ve put into it.

Reminds me of a less polished (and less blocky) dragon quest builder (and thankfully less dialogue lol). I recommend it for lovers of crafting games
    100% agree. Also on Series X and no crashing, just some frame drops and longer load times depending on how many items/crafting stations are around. The controls are also a bit counterintuitive and I hope there's a more efficient inventory management strategy than what I'm currently stuck with (making tons of chests and selling everything else). About 5 hrs in and still having a good time...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.