Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Life is Strange: True Colors review

• CanezzaCanezza145,884
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:00
    The latest entry into the Life is Strange series takes us to Haven Springs for an emotional rollercoaster of a story. Check out what Sean thought about the narrative adventure in his Life is Strange: True Colors review.

Please click here to read the full story: Life is Strange: True Colors review
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,585,123
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:07, Edited on 08 September 21 at 16:14 by EarthboundX
    Would you say it's better than Life is Strange 2 and Beyond The Storm?

I really liked Life is Strange, but haven't really cared for the two games that came after.

Max was a great likeable everyman/woman character, so she balanced out the very unlikable Chole. So without her in Beyond the Storm, all we had was Chole, who I disliked the vast majority of the game. Plus no time travel, love time travel.

Then we got the stupid brothers in Life is Strange 2, where it forced you to make choices I felt didn't make sense. That along with the game's chapters that took place mostly months apart, it didn't feel like the game was very connected, as you'd never see the vast majority of characters again after the chapter they were in.
  • CanezzaCanezza145,884
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:16
    EarthboundX said:

I really liked Life is Strange, but haven't cared for the two games that came after.

Max was a great likeable everyman/woman character, so she balanced out the very unlikely Chole. So without her in Beyond the Storm, all we had with Chole, who I disliked the vast majority of the game.

Then we got the stupid brother in Life is Strange 2, where it forced you to make choices I felt didn't make sense.
    I think that Before the Storm just beats this. True Colors does a lot of things better than BTS, but BTS' story is a lot stronger, probably because of the already established characters from LiS.

I'd definitely say this is better than LiS 2, though. I really didn't like it, mainly for the reasons you mention. The choices don't make sense, Daniel is annoying, and to me, it just felt like such a slog to play through!
    TA & TT Senior Staff Writer. Twitter: @SeanC159
  • scotwolf2scotwolf21,402,094
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:25
    Ok so Gabe dies🤔

Seems ok, bit not touching it at that price.
    That price point in my opinion is a rip off.
    Will wait for inevitable deep sale or Game Pass.

Anyway take care and stay safe all
  • Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:27
    loved Life Is Strange 2 so I'm very looking forward to this one, true colors is a great title imho
    "I'm proud of you Sheldon" "yeah, I'm proud of me too" - lol
  • HUN playmoreHUN playmore1,363,486
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:27
    If BtS is better then that is terrible news. BtS was only good because LiS1.
  • Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:33
    HUN playmore said:
    If BtS is better then that is terrible news. BtS was only good because LiS1.
    It's getting great reviews all around. All the ones I've read are saying it's a return to form for the series. I am personally really looking forward to it.
  • supkrissupkris1,060,411
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:34
    Nice read and good to know there are misc achievements apart from story progression and collectibles.
    Just seeing the preview videos I liked the main character Alex. Not as good as Chloe but still very likeable. The best part of LiS series is that it’s a slow burn. Takes a while but gets engaging as game progresses. As much as I want to play now the asking price is too much for this genre. Will need to wait for sale or eventual gamepass entry
  • supadryzsupadryz557,294
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 16:51
    Canezza said:
    EarthboundX said:

I really liked Life is Strange, but haven't cared for the two games that came after.

Max was a great likeable everyman/woman character, so she balanced out the very unlikely Chole. So without her in Beyond the Storm, all we had with Chole, who I disliked the vast majority of the game.

Then we got the stupid brother in Life is Strange 2, where it forced you to make choices I felt didn't make sense.
    I think that Before the Storm just beats this. True Colors does a lot of things better than BTS, but BTS' story is a lot stronger, probably because of the already established characters from LiS.

I'd definitely say this is better than LiS 2, though. I really didn't like it, mainly for the reasons you mention. The choices don't make sense, Daniel is annoying, and to me, it just felt like such a slog to play through!
    Totally agree with LiS2, that game was a slog and couldn't wait to get it over with, and yes Daniel was annoying as hell.

I do like the look of this and will play it but at the price it currently sits at I find it hard to justify buying just yet.
  • the enskithe enski258,756
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 17:00
    Deck Nine should join to the Xbox Game Studios family! toast
  • Posted on 08 September 21 at 17:02
    the enski said:
    They don't own the IP though, Square Enix does.
  • the enskithe enski258,756
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 17:25
    SquiSquiSquidio said:
    the enski said:
    I know, I know. However, this doesn't exclude the possibility of making new third person graphic adventure IP with similar art style for Xbox toast
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,186,185
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 17:26
    supkris said:
    Nice read and good to know there are misc achievements apart from story progression and collectibles.
    Could not agree more! For me Life is Strange is about two things: laughing at all the hilariously/embarrassingly written Twitter rejects and exploring the crazy amount of details they put into the world. I've spent more time on LiS1 than I can count just poking around stuff. It's awesome I'll now get achievements for that!

I'm also legally bound to post this every time the phrase 'jelly bean jar' is said:

I thought I'd go to a craft fair, and there would be a jar of jellybeans there - "Guess how many jellybeans are in this jar, and win a prize". Aw, come on, man, let just me have some. I'll tell you what, guess how many jellybeans I want! If you guessed a handful, you are right.

If you get that reference, we should be friends!
  • BIG SH0RTYBIG SH0RTY600,070
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 17:40
    The Cherished said:
    supkris said:
    Could not agree more! For me Life is Strange is about two things: laughing at all the hilariously/embarrassingly written Twitter rejects and exploring the crazy amount of details they put into the world. I've spent more time on LiS1 than I can count just poking around stuff. It's awesome I'll now get achievements for that!

I'm also legally bound to post this every time the phrase 'jelly bean jar' is said:

I thought I'd go to a craft fair, and there would be a jar of jellybeans there - "Guess how many jellybeans are in this jar, and win a prize". Aw, come on, man, let just me have some. I'll tell you what, guess how many jellybeans I want! If you guessed a handful, you are right.

If you get that reference, we should be friends!
    I used to be a Mitch Hedburg fan. I still am, but I used to be too.
  • Posted on 08 September 21 at 17:56
    Will play when it comes to game pass! 😌
  • Thief000Thief000903,118
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 18:16
    TearsOfAClown9 said:
    I'm going to do the same thing. Would love to take the reviewer's word for it, but it just doesn't look at all interesting to me so far.
  • wookieepuppywookieepuppy724,157
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 18:28
    £50 is too much for this.

I will gladly pay (again) to play lis1 (remastered) if/when they can get their act together to release it.
  • LilGurgiLilGurgi268,303
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 18:31
    Looks interesting. Will most likely play if/when it comes to GamePass or goes on sale. Just too many games in my backlog anymore to buy games Day 1.
  • Rista BRista B628,980
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 18:33
    Thief000 said:
    TearsOfAClown9 said:
    I'm going to do the same thing. Would love to take the reviewer's word for it, but it just doesn't look at all interesting to me so far.
    Yeah after LiS2, I'm just very wary of anything that is published in this line of games. If it continues to get good reviews I'd be willing to try it on GP.
  • Posted on 08 September 21 at 18:49
    the enski said:
    SquiSquiSquidio said:
    the enski said:
    I know, I know. However, this doesn't exclude the possibility of making new third person graphic adventure IP with similar art style for Xbox toast
    Not saying I disagree with wanting more games in this style, but didn't Xbox and Dontnod do exactly that with Tell Me Why?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.