Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Life is Strange: True Colors review

• KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,271,270
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 19:40
    I wonder, now that I don't play games for achievements, will I even play this? And I have played every LiS and TT game that I could find, many times over... did I play them because they were easy gamer score or because I actually liked them.... new exploration to come!
  • Posted on 08 September 21 at 19:48
    8 out of 10? That makes me hella hyped to play it tomorrow now
    Impatiently waiting Life is Strange: True Colors & the remasters of Life is Strange and BtS. Deck Nine is the savior of the franchise.
  • the enskithe enski258,690
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 20:00
    SquiSquiSquidio said:
    Not saying I disagree with wanting more games in this style, but didn't Xbox and Dontnod do exactly that with Tell Me Why?
    They did, but… DONTNOD now has plans to releasing self-published games and they want to expand their self-publishing capabilities to third-party publishing as well, with the first planned title from Copenhagen-based studio PortaPlay.

That's why Deck Nine in my opinion could be a good candidate for another studio for that kind of games, because they experience with them and – potentially as a first-party studio – they could have more investments in the studio (more people, second team for another IP in different genre, etc.) dance
  • Sol76Sol76946,462
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 22:02
    One of the few game series I will never ever touch again.
    I tried Life is Strange 1 , that was still ok , Before the Storm was already going a little bit towards the over dramatic side , Life is Strange 2 did it for me. My god , how many setbacks , sad moments and drama can you put in a game?
    No , not my cup of tea. I like a good narrative game , but this is too dramatic for me. Same reason why I skipped Tell me Why. For some reason subjects like that only seem to bring dramatic stories , there is never a happy story.
    Anyway , it looks like there is a huge market for it so I must be a minority that does not like these kind of games.
  • HSJ90HSJ90287,924
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 22:19
    ChloePrice4Ever said:
    Eight out of 10 owners said their cats prefer it.
    HSJ90
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,185,842
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 23:17, Edited on 08 September 21 at 23:21 by The Cherished
    BIG SH0RTY said:
    I used to be a Mitch Hedburg fan. I still am, but I used to be too.
    This is why the internet will never be a place of pure darkness!
  • WithTheDawnWithTheDawn703,544
    Posted on 08 September 21 at 23:44
    I've never understood all the LIS2 hate. It wasn't as good as the previous games, but I still found it to be a really solid entry and enjoyable story. I can understand it not being the kind of game for everyone, but would have thought anyone that loved the first game would at least enjoy it. Tell Me Why was more of a slog for me, but even that at least had some interesting concepts.

While I enjoy these games, it just seems inevitable that it will come to Game Pass, and there is tonnes of other stuff to play anyway. Happy to wait until it does.
  • Posted on 09 September 21 at 00:07
    I do love this series, however LiS2 doesn't hold a candle to LiS1. I found Daniel to be far too annoying for my liking and overall I found it a slog to get through whereas with LiS1 I couldn't wait to keep playing, even sat back and thought "wow!" when I finished my playthough.

Will definitely play this when it does inevitably comes to GP, and from reading a couple of reviews it seems a solid entry.
  • Posted on 09 September 21 at 00:28
    Yuck.

HARD PASS.
    Visit us on TheVerticalSlice.com!!
  • Posted on 09 September 21 at 00:30
    SquiSquiSquidio said:
    the enski said:
    SquiSquiSquidio said:
    the enski said:
    Deck Nine should join to the Xbox Game Studios family! toast
    They don't own the IP though, Square Enix does.
    I know, I know. However, this doesn't exclude the possibility of making new third person graphic adventure IP with similar art style for Xbox toast
    Not saying I disagree with wanting more games in this style, but didn't Xbox and Dontnod do exactly that with Tell Me Why?
    Yep. Gross. Not a fan.
    I approve of this message.
  • LORDOFDOOKIE69LORDOFDOOKIE691,521,657
    Posted on 09 September 21 at 03:58
    I can't see myself spending $60 for this as much as I want to play it. I think with the remasters of the first 2 games being delayed I might wait a couple months for a sale and grab it then when it has a few patches to smooth the gameplay out.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”
  • SkinfasstSkinfasst419,930
    Posted on 09 September 21 at 05:58
    In my opinion, this series of games is terribly boring. I kind of get why people like it, it is relaxing to play, and you don't really need to think too much. But when the reviewer says "it's a must-play", that's just BS. Those kinds of blanket statements should always come with a caveat, like "if you enjoyed the previous game in the series", or suchlike.
  • NoHeroes94NoHeroes94809,561
    Posted on 09 September 21 at 07:53
    WithTheDawn said:
    I've never understood all the LIS2 hate. It wasn't as good as the previous games, but I still found it to be a really solid entry and enjoyable story. I can understand it not being the kind of game for everyone, but would have thought anyone that loved the first game would at least enjoy it. Tell Me Why was more of a slog for me, but even that at least had some interesting concepts.

While I enjoy these games, it just seems inevitable that it will come to Game Pass, and there is tonnes of other stuff to play anyway. Happy to wait until it does.
    I must admit, 2 was very disappointing. I found the story extremely boring, the episodes way too long (perhaps because of point 1) and the characters so bland. The endings and decisions meant nothing to me as I just wasn't invested. I remember being really torn at the end of 1, and replaying the final chapter after completion to see the other ending - with 2, I was just glad to have the completion (from memory, it was also pretty finicky how you got X or Y ending, but I can't remember enough). 15 months for 5 episodes is also way too sparse.

For me, it's 1 > Before the Storm > Tell me Why >>>>>> 2.
  • Steve StrefSteve Stref325,400
    Posted on 09 September 21 at 12:46
    I'm gonna give these games another shot. My wife and I loved the original game, played it multiple times and I almost never do that with games, same with BtS, even though a lot of people seem not to.

The LiS2 story was complete crap, slow, and a total panderfest to the nth degree which made it extremely predictable and hard to finish. Didn't really get into Tell Me Why due to the characters being annoying and the story felt kinda flat with a predictable ending from really early on. Never played Twin Mirror, but I'm waiting to grab it on sale.

True Colors looks to be a nice return to solid story telling with some interesting powers so I'm really looking forward to it.
    Here, have a quote...
  • Posted on 09 September 21 at 17:57
    HSJ90 said:
    ChloePrice4Ever said:
    Eight out of 10 owners said their cats prefer it.
    8 out of 10 Vaklyries prefer it. (Cat in the game)
    Impatiently waiting Life is Strange: True Colors & the remasters of Life is Strange and BtS. Deck Nine is the savior of the franchise.
  • Maw N PawMaw N Paw800,828
    Posted on 10 September 21 at 10:37
    BIG SH0RTY said:
    The Cherished said:
    supkris said:
    Nice read and good to know there are misc achievements apart from story progression and collectibles.
    Could not agree more! For me Life is Strange is about two things: laughing at all the hilariously/embarrassingly written Twitter rejects and exploring the crazy amount of details they put into the world. I've spent more time on LiS1 than I can count just poking around stuff. It's awesome I'll now get achievements for that!

I'm also legally bound to post this every time the phrase 'jelly bean jar' is said:

I thought I'd go to a craft fair, and there would be a jar of jellybeans there - "Guess how many jellybeans are in this jar, and win a prize". Aw, come on, man, let just me have some. I'll tell you what, guess how many jellybeans I want! If you guessed a handful, you are right.

If you get that reference, we should be friends!
    I used to be a Mitch Hedburg fan. I still am, but I used to be too.
    This made me smile. :D
    There is always a way.
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,185,842
    Posted on 12 September 21 at 11:57
    So I'm a few hours into this... Am I the only one who is noticing the numerous similarities to Dontnod's previous game Twin Mirror? Like to the point this feels like an earlier draft of that game?
  • LinKPePoLinKPePo285,807
    Posted on 14 September 21 at 18:03
    I don't know the rest, but at least for me it's the best Life is Strange to date. Loved the characters, love the place and also the story. Can't wait for the Steph DLC. Hope they sell it separately and I don't have to purchase the deluxe edition (I already bought retail)
  • Alice2183Alice2183795,456
    Posted on 18 September 21 at 19:56
    LinKPePo said:
    I don't know the rest, but at least for me it's the best Life is Strange to date. Loved the characters, love the place and also the story. Can't wait for the Steph DLC. Hope they sell it separately and I don't have to purchase the deluxe edition (I already bought retail)
    I'm inclined to agree with you. I loved the characters and the town, and the story (while a bit contrived in a few places) was simple yet satisfying. As a person who has lived in Colorado for a while, I can tell you that they nailed the small mountain mining town vibe. I enjoyed Alex's powers (I am a sucker for delving into emotions to learn more about people), though I don't know if they'll ever really beat the time travel mechanic from LiS1. I'm a big D&D fan as well, and all of the references (particularly the entirety of Chapter 3) were golden.

Unlike the reviewer, I found the romance I pursued satisfying. I could see where the other option might feel less so (it did seem like they spent more time with one than the other). Is it a spoiler to talk about them? I believe both options are mentioned in all of the promotional material, so I didn't think it would be a big deal, but people seem to be refraining?

I think what I liked most about this entry over the others is that there is (imo) an actual, honest-to-goodness good ending. Not "some stuff is going to be shitty no matter what because everything has to be bittersweet to feel meaningful" edgelord nonsense, but something that actually felt hopeful and happy. Personally, I appreciate that, especially in a time where everyone already knows how much the world sucks.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.