Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Sable review

  • Posted on 22 September 21 at 22:01
    Artsy adventure Sable glides onto Xbox Game Pass this week, and it's a melting pot of magical moments, technical issues, laid-back exploration, and a whole lot more. Luke masks up and sets out on The Gliding...

    Please click here to read the full story: Sable review
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm516,724
    Posted on 22 September 21 at 22:10
    How does that work? You mentioned achievements but they haven’t been loaded to XBox Live yet?

    Thanx for the review, BTW.
  • Posted on 22 September 21 at 22:19
    Allgorhythm said:
    How does that work? You mentioned achievements but they haven’t been loaded to XBox Live yet?

    Thanx for the review, BTW.
    Both achievements and trophies can often be unlocked normally even before the relevant lists are made public in many cases. It’s very weird, and a nightmare to try and keep track of!
  • VanekVanek523,678
    Posted on 22 September 21 at 22:40
    Man, don't even mention the beautiful soundtrack..
  • Posted on 22 September 21 at 23:00
    Vanek said:
    Man, don't even mention the beautiful soundtrack..
    The few vocal tracks in particular are ace, but the general minimal OST is… okay? There are parts that work well and others that don’t, especially with how many other weird noises are happening at any given time.
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz477,321
    Posted on 22 September 21 at 23:30
    Wow well consider me disappointed. I know we should always give these things a go anyway but it's disappointing considering we've had quite a few gems recently from Xbox/gamepass.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm516,724
    Posted on 22 September 21 at 23:42
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    How does that work? You mentioned achievements but they haven’t been loaded to XBox Live yet?

    Thanx for the review, BTW.
    Both achievements and trophies can often be unlocked normally even before the relevant lists are made public in many cases. It’s very weird, and a nightmare to try and keep track of!
    I was curious because when I play offline--most recently Shadows: Awakening because it has two achievements that can only be earned offline--achievements do not pop onscreen when unlocked. You have to wait till you go back online. Once your local profile that has the imbedded info regarding the unlocked achievements synchs with your global profile, the achievements pop onscreen.

    I assume you were playing online and some or all of the achievements were uploaded to XBox Live Network. However, a lock of some sort was put on them so we cannot see them. Nevertheless, they're there and popped in your game as you played it.
  • R3f1CuLR3f1CuL965,447
    Posted on 22 September 21 at 23:53, Edited on 22 September 21 at 23:54 by R3f1CuL
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    So it goes...
  • TubbedTubbed353,845
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 01:05
    R3f1CuL said:
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    Okay... But the 3 highest rated games to release on Xbox this year (so far) all released into Gamepass day one. And if you're an Xbox gamer, that's a very good thing.

    Honestly what TRULY great games have released this year that aren't on Gamepass?
  • R3f1CuLR3f1CuL965,447
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 03:28, Edited on 23 September 21 at 03:55 by R3f1CuL
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    Okay... But the 3 highest rated games to release on Xbox this year (so far) all released into Gamepass day one. And if you're an Xbox gamer, that's a very good thing.

    Honestly what TRULY great games have released this year that aren't on Gamepass?
    What games? And were they or were they not either on another platform first or already released prior to their inclusion into gamepass like I stated? Gamepass has great games in it but the day one'rs have been disappointments IMHO. Ascent, Dark Alliance, Outriders, Sable... all mediocre at best and absolutely dreadful at worst. Psychonauts 2 is literally the only game I can think of that I would say is genuinely great so far of the day one'rs. Games like Hades I can't count as true day one'rs personally but it's awesome that Xbox only guys get it in GP.
    *Also from what I can tell on TA at least the top 5 rated games this year have been ME Legendary, It Takes Two, Hades, Death's Door and Hitman 3. Of which only Hades is in GP which was again out for well over 2 years at this point.
    So it goes...
  • TubbedTubbed353,845
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 04:15
    R3f1CuL said:
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    Okay... But the 3 highest rated games to release on Xbox this year (so far) all released into Gamepass day one. And if you're an Xbox gamer, that's a very good thing.

    Honestly what TRULY great games have released this year that aren't on Gamepass?
    What games? And were they or were they not either on another platform first or already released prior to their inclusion into gamepass like I stated? Gamepass has great games in it but the day one'rs have been disappointments IMHO. Ascent, Dark Alliance, Outriders, Sable... all mediocre at best and absolutely dreadful at worst. Psychonauts 2 is literally the only game I can think of that I would say is genuinely great so far of the day one'rs. Games like Hades I can't count as true day one'rs personally but it's awesome that Xbox only guys get it in GP.
    *Also from what I can tell on TA at least the top 5 rated games this year have been ME Legendary, It Takes Two, Hades, Death's Door and Hitman 3. Of which only Hades is in GP which was again out for well over 2 years at this point.
    They're day one into Gamepass on the first day they're on Xbox. Which, if you're an Xbox gamer is day one. Psychonauts 2, Hades and Microsoft Flight Simulator went into Gamepass the same day they released on Xbox. If you're an Xbox gamer, they were available on Gamepass the same minute they were available to you entirely.


    Of those games you list, which of those are TRULY great? Didn't you say Gamepass didn't have any TRULY great day one additions?
    Are Deaths Door and It Takes Two these TRULY great games you're talking about? Would Gamepass suddenly become TRULY great if it had It Takes Two on day one? Is Deaths Door the game that takes Gamepass to the next level? I didn't realise these were were so revolutionary that Gamepass is actual trash without having these games as day one additions.
  • R3f1CuLR3f1CuL965,447
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 04:59
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    Okay... But the 3 highest rated games to release on Xbox this year (so far) all released into Gamepass day one. And if you're an Xbox gamer, that's a very good thing.

    Honestly what TRULY great games have released this year that aren't on Gamepass?
    What games? And were they or were they not either on another platform first or already released prior to their inclusion into gamepass like I stated? Gamepass has great games in it but the day one'rs have been disappointments IMHO. Ascent, Dark Alliance, Outriders, Sable... all mediocre at best and absolutely dreadful at worst. Psychonauts 2 is literally the only game I can think of that I would say is genuinely great so far of the day one'rs. Games like Hades I can't count as true day one'rs personally but it's awesome that Xbox only guys get it in GP.
    *Also from what I can tell on TA at least the top 5 rated games this year have been ME Legendary, It Takes Two, Hades, Death's Door and Hitman 3. Of which only Hades is in GP which was again out for well over 2 years at this point.
    They're day one into Gamepass on the first day they're on Xbox. Which, if you're an Xbox gamer is day one. Psychonauts 2, Hades and Microsoft Flight Simulator went into Gamepass the same day they released on Xbox. If you're an Xbox gamer, they were available on Gamepass the same minute they were available to you entirely.


    Of those games you list, which of those are TRULY great? Didn't you say Gamepass didn't have any TRULY great day one additions?
    Are Deaths Door and It Takes Two these TRULY great games you're talking about? Would Gamepass suddenly become TRULY great if it had It Takes Two on day one? Is Deaths Door the game that takes Gamepass to the next level? I didn't realise these were were so revolutionary that Gamepass is actual trash without having these games as day one additions.
    I have no idea why you've gotten it into your head that I ever said Gamepass wasn't incredible. It's the best thing to happen to Xbox in a decade; EASILY. I just don't think the day one games have been that stellar; nor do most people by and large from what I can tell.
    And yes, Death's Door and It Takes Two are probably the two best games to come out this year so far IMHO and ANYTHING would be lucky to have them, but Gamepass doesn't need them and I have no idea why people like you get so ultra defensive and jump to putting words in people's mouths like "game pass is trash" when clearly I never said that or even implied it, unless you've come into the comment with hostile intent.
    I only questioned the quality of the TRUE day one additions to the service which I think is a valid observation. Nothing more, nothing less. Hades came out in 2018, and Flight Simulator isn't even on OG Xbone where roughly 90% of the playerbase still resides. And I've already praised Psychonauts 2. I posted TA's highest rated games of the year. I don't get what points you're trying to make that undermine anything I've said.
    So it goes...
  • TubbedTubbed353,845
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 06:34
    R3f1CuL said:
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    Okay... But the 3 highest rated games to release on Xbox this year (so far) all released into Gamepass day one. And if you're an Xbox gamer, that's a very good thing.

    Honestly what TRULY great games have released this year that aren't on Gamepass?
    What games? And were they or were they not either on another platform first or already released prior to their inclusion into gamepass like I stated? Gamepass has great games in it but the day one'rs have been disappointments IMHO. Ascent, Dark Alliance, Outriders, Sable... all mediocre at best and absolutely dreadful at worst. Psychonauts 2 is literally the only game I can think of that I would say is genuinely great so far of the day one'rs. Games like Hades I can't count as true day one'rs personally but it's awesome that Xbox only guys get it in GP.
    *Also from what I can tell on TA at least the top 5 rated games this year have been ME Legendary, It Takes Two, Hades, Death's Door and Hitman 3. Of which only Hades is in GP which was again out for well over 2 years at this point.
    They're day one into Gamepass on the first day they're on Xbox. Which, if you're an Xbox gamer is day one. Psychonauts 2, Hades and Microsoft Flight Simulator went into Gamepass the same day they released on Xbox. If you're an Xbox gamer, they were available on Gamepass the same minute they were available to you entirely.


    Of those games you list, which of those are TRULY great? Didn't you say Gamepass didn't have any TRULY great day one additions?
    Are Deaths Door and It Takes Two these TRULY great games you're talking about? Would Gamepass suddenly become TRULY great if it had It Takes Two on day one? Is Deaths Door the game that takes Gamepass to the next level? I didn't realise these were were so revolutionary that Gamepass is actual trash without having these games as day one additions.
    I have no idea why you've gotten it into your head that I ever said Gamepass wasn't incredible. It's the best thing to happen to Xbox in a decade; EASILY. I just don't think the day one games have been that stellar; nor do most people by and large from what I can tell.
    And yes, Death's Door and It Takes Two are probably the two best games to come out this year so far IMHO and ANYTHING would be lucky to have them, but Gamepass doesn't need them and I have no idea why people like you get so ultra defensive and jump to putting words in people's mouths like "game pass is trash" when clearly I never said that or even implied it, unless you've come into the comment with hostile intent.
    I only questioned the quality of the TRUE day one additions to the service which I think is a valid observation. Nothing more, nothing less. Hades came out in 2018, and Flight Simulator isn't even on OG Xbone where roughly 90% of the playerbase still resides. And I've already praised Psychonauts 2. I posted TA's highest rated games of the year. I don't get what points you're trying to make that undermine anything I've said.
    Deaths Door and It Takes Two? The best games of the year, In Your Honest Opinion?
    Bro, they're not even in your played games and definitely not in your list of 5 star rated games... How can they be TRULY great? How are they so much better than Psychonauts 2? You haven't played any of them.
  • SkinfasstSkinfasst427,547
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 06:41
    R3f1CuL said:
    but the day one'rs

    so far of the day one'rs

    true day one'rs
    Please stop.
  • Posted on 23 September 21 at 07:00
    Skinfasst said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    but the day one'rs

    so far of the day one'rs

    true day one'rs
    Please stop.
    lmao
  • Osmo76Osmo761,124,285
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 07:41
    Too bad, it had piqued my interest.
  • gtbikegtbike547,519
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 08:20
    R3f1CuL said:
    Tubbed said:
    R3f1CuL said:
    Honestly I've come to expect nothing more from day one gamepass games :/ Everything TRULY great on the platform (which there are a good few don't get me wrong) existed in some form or another on and off Xbox platforms BEFORE they entered the program. IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Horizon 5 can break the streak because Playground are EASILY the most polished and consistent Xbox studio around.
    Okay... But the 3 highest rated games to release on Xbox this year (so far) all released into Gamepass day one. And if you're an Xbox gamer, that's a very good thing.

    Honestly what TRULY great games have released this year that aren't on Gamepass?
    What games? And were they or were they not either on another platform first or already released prior to their inclusion into gamepass like I stated? Gamepass has great games in it but the day one'rs have been disappointments IMHO. Ascent, Dark Alliance, Outriders, Sable... all mediocre at best and absolutely dreadful at worst. Psychonauts 2 is literally the only game I can think of that I would say is genuinely great so far of the day one'rs. Games like Hades I can't count as true day one'rs personally but it's awesome that Xbox only guys get it in GP.
    *Also from what I can tell on TA at least the top 5 rated games this year have been ME Legendary, It Takes Two, Hades, Death's Door and Hitman 3. Of which only Hades is in GP which was again out for well over 2 years at this point.
    I think it's fair for people to interpret your op as someone who thinks there is something inherently wrong with Xbox Game Pass and even Xbox in general because of these statements: "IMHO nothing truly noteworthy has been day one so far at all. I'm really hoping this trend stops but that doesn't seem to be the case." I understand you're a gamer with specific tastes, but I think it shows complete ignorance to what has dropped onto Game Pass day one and what Xbox has lined up for the future.

    So, you failed to mention Psychonauts 2 in your op. I think this game is very noteworthy because it shows Xbox's first-party potential. It's really the first game from all the studio acquisitions over the past few years to release day one into Game Pass taking advantage of MS's resources and I believe it wouldn't be the finished product it is w/o MS. Now, think about future first-party titles: RedFall, Starfield, Avowed, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, InExile's new IP, Compulsion's new IP, Outer Worlds 2, Indiana Jones, etc. doing the same thing. Really, Game Pass hasn't even hit its stride because of the absence of first party and the acquisitions yet to start bearing fruit, which will probably, hopefully, begin late 2022.

    As we wait for first party, I think MS has been doing a pretty good job. Just focusing on day one releases on Game Pass, I think they've been killing it in regards to the Indie scene. More recently, games such as The Artful Escape, Twelve Minutes, DodgeBall Academia, Omno, Cris Tales, The Ascent, and Flynn: Son of Crimson. And even before that with Haven, Call of the Sea, Spiritfarer, etc. We've also had the occasional, big third party titles like Outriders, MLB the Show, and Back 4 Blood coming up.

    So, I definitely disagree with your sentiments and personally believe the day one releases into Game Pass are getting better and better. Truly great games to me mean probably GOTY contenders and while we haven't had enough of those in Game Pass, I am very happy with the service still and trust we will get those truly great games in the near future that will elevate Game Pass to another level.
  • illdizzogilldizzog1,279,194
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 08:23
    I thought that was a very well written review. The pain of the games shortcomings came across well, it’s the worst when a game you want to love won’t let you love it.

    That’s the magic of game pass I suppose, this review comes with warnings of the game’s downfalls but Game Pass makes it so easy to just experience it for yourself which is exactly what I’m going to do.
  • WicelowWicelow1,385,644
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 09:51
    illdizzog said:
    That’s the magic of game pass I suppose, this review comes with warnings of the game’s downfalls but Game Pass makes it so easy to just experience it for yourself which is exactly what I’m going to do.
    Exactly. It removes the "damn I paid for it" feel when the experience is not that good in the end.
    Love the art style. Game seems nice enough. I'll put the game on my to do list and wait to see if they do something about its performances. No rush.
    Eat. Play. Love.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,632,870
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 10:20, Edited on 23 September 21 at 10:22 by EarthboundX
    Seen two others reviews so far, both GI and especially PC Gamer seemed to really enjoy it. IGN gave it a7 though. Couple other positive reviews I've seen do mention bugs though in their headlines.

    Curious to try the game out at some point.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.