Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Hot Wheels Unleashed review

• Posted on 28 September 21 at 14:52
    Hot Wheels Unleashed speeds onto Xbox later this week, but how well do these small cars gel with the larger-than-life courses? Luke took some toys for a test drive to find out...

Please click here to read the full story: Hot Wheels Unleashed review
  • LancerideLanceride437,892
    Posted on 28 September 21 at 15:18
    For a branded game like this, I suppose that score isn't too surprising.
    Blah blah blah forum signature
  • Achilles8249Achilles8249744,342
    Posted on 28 September 21 at 15:48
    I think with the right dlc this game would be a lot of fun.
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 15:51
    But it is better or worse compared to the fantastic PS1 Hot Wheels Turbo Racing game?
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 15:53, Edited on 28 September 21 at 17:08 by Noisy neighbour
    Having seen higher scores elsewhere, I wasnt sure whether to take this review seriously. Then I read this...

"Either way, the recycling process is depicted by the departing vehicle bursting into flames and turning into resources, which seems... irresponsible. The idea that you can set fire to unwanted toys to have them turn into money is maybe not the best to put in the minds of any impressionable kids that end up playing this."

Lol... ok

Next up, "Are videogames making children violent!?"
  • MH The RockstarMH The Rockstar1,207,258
    Posted on 28 September 21 at 16:01
    Thanks for the review. Still going to play this but I might just wait for a sale now. Unless it makes it to GP but I don't remember reading that anywhere... yet.
    Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way.
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 17:18
    Fully disagree with the physics being bad (not saying they're perfect) because I'm doing the extremely challenging boss races with the starting Twin Mill and having the most fun in a racing game in a long time. The harder the tracks are and the faster your car is, the more fun you'll have, I promise. This isn't some kiddie Hot Wheels game of yesteryear, this a genuinely hard racing game, and most of the time I'm off track is because I fully messed up. You just have to learn the tracks first and get comfortable with a few cars.

And of course there's going to be way better cars than others ??? it's a racing game. You also can't use one OP car to win every track either, every car has a flaw from what I've seen, whether that be handling, braking, or boost reserves.

The only things that I agree are bad is the boost making the music sound terrible and the car unlocking system, that stuff can go.
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 17:36, Edited on 28 September 21 at 17:37 by BadRubberPiggy
    Bieber Sheenis said:
    Fully disagree with the physics being bad (not saying they're perfect) because I'm doing the extremely challenging boss races with the starting Twin Mill and having the most fun in a racing game in a long time. The harder the tracks are and the faster your car is, the more fun you'll have, I promise. This isn't some kiddie Hot Wheels game of yesteryear, this a genuinely hard racing game, and most of the time I'm off track is because I fully messed up. You just have to learn the tracks first and get comfortable with a few cars.

And of course there's going to be way better cars than others ??? it's a racing game. You also can't use one OP car to win every track either, every car has a flaw from what I've seen, whether that be handling, braking, or boost reserves.

The only things that I agree are bad is the boost making the music sound terrible and the car unlocking system, that stuff can go.
    Fair play. I don't think the physics are bad per se, just that I thought the handling in general didn't feel like it fit with the game as presented. If you do, all power to you, and I can tell from some of the higher scores out there that you absolutely won't be alone.

As for some cars being better than others, yeah that's always going to happen, but it's an issue compounded by the random unlocks. Just a basic class system is all it would need to make some of the novelty cars usable in their own division maybe...
  • SeeD RedSeeD Red683,374
    Posted on 28 September 21 at 17:41
    The game is awesome. Strongly disagree with the review, as always on TA. Love the website, not the reviews.
  • MrKoolxDoodMrKoolxDood403,664
    Posted on 28 September 21 at 19:20
    IGN gave it a 9 I believe
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 21:15
    Been playing since yesterday. Absolutely love it. Different tastes for different people, though.
  • Lamar RomneyLamar Romney363,345
    Posted on 28 September 21 at 21:17
    This is a great review. Thank you.
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 21:21
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Fair play. I don't think the physics are bad per se, just that I thought the handling in general didn't feel like it fit with the game as presented. If you do, all power to you, and I can tell from some of the higher scores out there that you absolutely won't be alone.

As for some cars being better than others, yeah that's always going to happen, but it's an issue compounded by the random unlocks. Just a basic class system is all it would need to make some of the novelty cars usable in their own division maybe...
    Very true, the real problem with the game is the progression and car unlocks that make some cars not worth touching. Hot Wheels: Beat That! had three tiers of performance basically and it worked well for that game. I just blew past the starting vehicles already and I'm not looking back, unfortunately.

On the flip side, you can just upgrade your "bad" cars to be really good. I took the starting car Twin Mill to legendary in one day and it wipes the floor on any straightaway-heavy track, but it can't do intricate courses with lots of turns. I think the devs intended for players to upgrade all their cars all the way, and that's the metric that they used to balance each one out.
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 21:42
    Bieber Sheenis said:
    On the flip side, you can just upgrade your "bad" cars to be really good. I took the starting car Twin Mill to legendary in one day and it wipes the floor on any straightaway-heavy track, but it can't do intricate courses with lots of turns. I think the devs intended for players to upgrade all their cars all the way, and that's the metric that they used to balance each one out.
    My issue with the upgrade system is that it seems to arbitrarily cost some cars boost charges for their stat increases, while others actually GAIN charges. Weird. Just not worth the trade-off for a lot of cars I had the option of upgrading, as you really need boost on tap in this game.

Also, as a quick reminder to folks, we made a point when switching to /10 scoring to try and use as much of the scale as possible. I quite enjoyed Unleashed and think it’s a decent racer, as an above-average score suggests. If y’all like it more, that’s great, have fun with it! Any review is just one take, after all.
  • Posted on 28 September 21 at 23:34
    Hot Wheels in Forza: Awesome!!!
    Actual Hot Wheels game: meh
  • mvon007mvon007301,819
    Posted on 29 September 21 at 05:32
    This certainly looks like a lot of fun, and seeing comments about long term upgrading of cars is very interesting. It is refreshing to not have 500+ vehicles to choose from, when you only really end up using 3 or 4 for the most part, thanks Forza. And their Hot Wheels effort only had half a dozen of those cars, funnily enough.

The limitations of the orange and blue parts for sure mean that tracks will struggle to be memorable as compared to something like CTR, but the idea of having to really learn tracks is appealing, especially compared to the likes of Horizon 4, where there are no memorable tracks at all, and any car will do generally speaking.

Other reviews I've seen also focused more on stunts and shortcuts, and the ability to skip large sections with impressive jumps on occasion, and that stuff is cool as well.

It is almost a shame that Game Pass just makes it hard to consider paying full price for anything anymore. At least they've got a month before Horizon 5 kicks in!
  • CoastKeyCoastKey233,416
    Posted on 29 September 21 at 14:35
    Started ok but midway I had to go down to easy, and even on easiest Im not able to open all tracks. Im getting older but pretty decent on Forza and racinggames, and cant understand why they put in options named ; easy, medium, hard and extreme when easy is too hard for most common gamers.....
  • Posted on 29 September 21 at 16:14
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Also, as a quick reminder to folks, we made a point when switching to /10 scoring to try and use as much of the scale as possible. I quite enjoyed Unleashed and think it’s a decent racer, as an above-average score suggests. If y’all like it more, that’s great, have fun with it! Any review is just one take, after all.
    6/10 is actually a decent score, thank you for reminding everyone, including me lol. The game is fun and pretty good, but it's not perfect and there's glaring issues to address. Only time will tell how well the Car Passes and added track editor content will affect the final product.
  • HIDDENxGECKOHIDDENxGECKO407,055
    Posted on 29 September 21 at 20:01
    I was looking forward to this but didn't read too much into it before release.

I waa hoping for item pick-ups and inventive maps like in 'Beat That' but unfortunately there are no pick-ups and the maps are those bland plastics that they were in the FH3 DLC. The gameplay looks more focused on boost management rather than the items I'd hoped for which works well enough in a busier game like NFS but when the track is empty it'll get monotonous fast.

I suppose I went in looking for a constant-action kart racer and this is very different. I'm glad some people seem to like it and hope something that I'd be more interested in is down the line.
  • Posted on 30 September 21 at 17:33, Edited on 30 September 21 at 17:35 by hostile carrot
    Honestly, one of the worst reviews I have ever read. If you'd even bother to do a bar minimum amount of research into Milestone, you would recognize they are in the business of making racing sims, which would have put you on notice that this game was never going to be a kids kart racer, so why the surprise that the physics and mechanics offer more depth than rubber banding the right trigger. I literally cannot comprehend the frustration with the fact that if you go too fast you may fall off the track, that is literally what it is like in real life if you build a hot wheels track.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.