Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania review

• Posted on 04 October 21 at 22:01
    Another remake rolls onto the scene, this time with Sega dusting off the greatest monkey-rolling simulators of all time. How do these classics hold up in the modern era? Luke peels Banana Mania to find out...

Please click here to read the full story: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania review
  • Posted on 04 October 21 at 22:16
    I have a lot of faith in Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and this game looks great, glad it got a decent review, I'm definitely going to be looking at getting this
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,182,020
    Posted on 04 October 21 at 22:46
    The different physics preventing some tricks from being possible will be a deal breaker for some
  • MH The RockstarMH The Rockstar1,207,258
    Posted on 04 October 21 at 22:50
    Thanks for the review. I think this will be played on my alternate profile simply because this series has been notoriously difficult - no need to butcher my current tag anymore! laugh
    Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way.
  • tpb fantpb fan380,561
    Posted on 04 October 21 at 23:14
    so apparently this game is best played with a GameCube controller?
  • Posted on 04 October 21 at 23:33
    tpb fan said:
    so apparently this game is best played with a GameCube controller?
    Don't quote me on this but I feel like there's a degree of cardinal direction gating built into the game's controls (main reason folks love the GC controller is the eight-way gate on the stick). I certainly managed to hit a few lines I never expected to...
  • Mephisto4thewinMephisto4thewin2,636,529
    Posted on 04 October 21 at 23:38
    Could someone please tell me if competition mode exists in this game? 4 player split screen doing the same level at the same time thats what me and my friends used to play.
  • Posted on 04 October 21 at 23:52
    Mephisto4thewin said:
    Could someone please tell me if competition mode exists in this game? 4 player split screen doing the same level at the same time thats what me and my friends used to play.
    I don't believe so, sadly.
  • C64 MatC64 Mat1,402,955
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 08:53
    Can't tell you how many hours I spent unlocking Master and playing Monkey Tennis on the OG Xbox. I bought it from Woolworths of all places.
    "I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
  • Posted on 06 October 21 at 17:12
    New Paralyzer said:
    The different physics preventing some tricks from being possible will be a deal breaker for some
    As a huge SMB fan, the remake feels and plays like absolute trash. Not even nostalgia could prevent me from feeling like I wasted $50 on this game (because I had to pay for original skins/soundtrack, which is bs in its own manner). When you have memorized how to do levels and pause buffer, then give me the same levels but I can't do them the way I've done them hundreds of times, it is beyond infuriating. And yeah, not having 8-way analog made some levels a nightmare to actually learn (Triangle Holes and Sieve, anyone???).

Yesterday I rage quit after Double Spiral. Its an expert level from SMB2 in the washing machine area. Done this level first try so many times I can't even remember the last time failing it. I fell out over 20 times on it before shelving the game. Plus they've completely changed the mini games, including my favorite: Bowling. I used to love the power that Gongon provided and could throw 200s and even 300s if I got the timing right. Now its a pile of crap. Why change it? Not having the original announcer is another gripe, especially after hearing "Fall Out" 100 times when I usually breeze through most levels except the tricky ones like Exam-C and that Master level with the ridiculously skinny incline.
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 17:47
    x1001x Puppys said:
    New Paralyzer said:

As a huge SMB fan, the remake feels and plays like absolute trash. Not even nostalgia could prevent me from feeling like I wasted $50 on this game (because I had to pay for original skins/soundtrack, which is bs in its own manner). When you have memorized how to do levels and pause buffer, then give me the same levels but I can't do them the way I've done them hundreds of times, it is beyond infuriating. And yeah, not having 8-way analog made some levels a nightmare to actually learn (Triangle Holes and Sieve, anyone???).

Yesterday I rage quit after Double Spiral. Its an expert level from SMB2 in the washing machine area. Done this level first try so many times I can't even remember the last time failing it. I fell out over 20 times on it before shelving the game. Plus they've completely changed the mini games, including my favorite: Bowling. I used to love the power that Gongon provided and could throw 200s and even 300s if I got the timing right. Now its a pile of crap. Why change it? Not having the original announcer is another gripe, especially after hearing "Fall Out" 100 times when I usually breeze through most levels except the tricky ones like Exam-C and that Master level with the ridiculously skinny incline.
    I have no idea why it's so different but my guess is because they made the game in Unity

Unity probably isn't letting the monkeys be as bouncy as they originally were and I don't think they could even update it to match the original... they can probably try to give more bounce but it will never be the same.
  • NesmasterNesmaster1,450,570
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 19:01, Edited on 06 October 21 at 19:04 by Nesmaster
    x1001x Puppys said:
    New Paralyzer said:

Huge Gamecube fan also. I feel like everything you said is why they added the jump to the game, just to let people finish many tough levels by making them trivial. I did Exam-C enough times to do it in my sleep bitd, and it's one of the harder levels now. Cylinders are also WAY HARDER to stay on now. I think they should've adjusted every level to compensate for how crappy modern controls/unity is, and not just the ~23 they did change. Hell, they did adjust Soft Cream and Long Torus, and they're still terrible stages.

In the end, I got my completion, and still had a good time with the main modes. Most of the party games had a frustrating mission or two, because they just aren't implemented well/right. Baseball is near unplayable, and bowling feels scripted rather than relying on physics. Made the Turkey near impossible.
  • Posted on 06 October 21 at 19:19
    Props to you, Nesmaster. Even with GC controls I'd still be worried about beating some levels/challenges. There is one level I remember I could never beat, it was a Master Extra level in SMB2, I ran out like 300 lives on it. I remember it was a long balancing act going around counterclockwise then a drop off the right to the goal, and there was a green goal past it. I can't even IMAGINE what that hell is like with remastered controls. Warp (Expert 37 in the OG) also gave me a lot of trouble for a while, it would be literally impossible with this engine.

Live and learn, I guess. Need to fire up my Gamecube and play the original to get this bad taste out of my mouth.
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 19:52, Edited on 06 October 21 at 19:55 by Nesmaster
    edit: never mind, wrong level.

I was a bit disappointed I needed to use the jump, but a completion just wouldn't happen for me without it.
  • Posted on 06 October 21 at 20:10
    Nesmaster said:
    edit: never mind, wrong level.

I was a bit disappointed I needed to use the jump, but a completion just wouldn't happen for me without it.
    A quick scan through Master levels shows it was Helix. I got instant PTSD lol. Funny, even watching someone beat the level, it doesn't look hard at all. Maybe 12 year old me just sucked.
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 20:37, Edited on 06 October 21 at 20:38 by Nesmaster
    I never even played that level, but it looks terrible to do on this version, those types of surfaces suck in this version. I skipped that with the prior level's green gate. ( #7 Synchronized)

I also don't know how to do #9 Dizzy System beyond brute force/luck.
  • Mephisto4thewinMephisto4thewin2,636,529
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 21:27
    As someone who also was very skilled on the gamecube versions. This version completely sucks. The controls just feel all wrong. They have taken out my favourite modes and tinkered with all the others. I dont understand why they had to massacre it like this.
    Posted on 07 October 21 at 05:02
    Mephisto4thewin said:
    As someone who also was very skilled on the gamecube versions. This version completely sucks. The controls just feel all wrong. They have taken out my favourite modes and tinkered with all the others. I dont understand why they had to massacre it like this.
    4 play competition being absent is absurd. I say we collectively demand for it to be patched it.

Some of the changes this game has makes no sense..... Also I really wish they didn't use Unity
  • segagamersegagamer543,755 543,755 GamerScore
    Posted on 02 November 21 at 07:24
    Can also confirm that the new controls have ruined the game. Stages I never had issues with have taken me many tries - even Exam A is screwing me up simply because tilting the LS slightly rotates the camera instead of slightly moving the character.

I went from looking forward to this re-release to barely playing a few hours of it. I wish they'd just make Deluxe BC instead of this shit.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.