Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

BPM: Bullets Per Minute review

  • Posted on 05 October 21 at 19:10
    Hardcore rhythm shooter BPM finally arrives on Xbox today, delivering a unique and intense experience that is not for the faint-hearted. Luke ventures into Hell (again) to bring you the verdict on this brutal game...

    Please click here to read the full story: BPM: Bullets Per Minute review
  • xNotStopEvilxNotStopEvil297,842
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 20:11
    Good job! toast
  • etcher1981etcher1981772,068
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 20:28
    eh...doesn't sound like its a game for me. I'll try it one day, maybe though.
    I keeps it realz!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm516,724
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 21:02
    I really like how you personalize your gaming experience. BPM has been on my radar & your review has increased my interest.

    I much prefer a controller over mouse & keyboard though it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m glad you pointed this out.

    Anyway, thanks for a great review & good luck with Graslu the First. smile
  • Posted on 05 October 21 at 21:21
    Allgorhythm said:
    I really like how you personalize your gaming experience. BPM has been on my radar & your review has increased my interest.

    I much prefer a controller over mouse & keyboard though it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m glad you pointed this out.

    Anyway, thanks for a great review & good luck with Graslu the First. smile
    Thanks! I need to mess around with controller mapping more and I reckon Odr MIGHT be doable on a lucky run - flight trivialises the only boss that I consistently get hit by. Graslu actually did the Sanngriðr Hellish run with a flight item that basically just turned it into an Odr run too, though I don’t think I’m ready for Hellish just yet anyway!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm516,724
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 21:26
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    I don’t think I’m ready for Hellish just yet anyway!
    At what point can you play on Hellish? Is it available from the start or must it be unlocked by playing on a different mode first?
  • Posted on 05 October 21 at 21:33, Edited on 05 October 21 at 21:36 by BadRubberPiggy
    Allgorhythm said:
    At what point can you play on Hellish? Is it available from the start or must it be unlocked by playing on a different mode first?
    All four difficulty levels are available right away. Practice only includes the first half of the game but goes gentle on modifiers to ease you in, Easy (a misnomer if ever there was one) is all levels with infrequent mods, Hard increases modifier chance and allows multiple for bosses, as well as introducing late-game enemies sooner, and Hellish is max mod chance, 50% extra health for enemies, and you take double damage. Only one Hard clear so far here, but I’ve come close on others and will get the rest of the regular characters done soon…

    Edit: That said, beating Easy and Hard on a character unlocks their two abilities, so you do kinda need to work up through the modes to stand a fighting chance.
  • Guirec730Guirec730357,343
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 21:51
    I am a rhythm game genius (I was in double digit ranks on most songs in DJ Hero) but this game is KICKING. MY. ASS.
    State of the badass art.
  • Posted on 05 October 21 at 21:58
    Guirec730 said:
    I am a rhythm game genius (I was in double digit ranks on most songs in DJ Hero) but this game is KICKING. MY. ASS.
    Haha DJ Hero is actually a great comparison… I was silly good at Guitar Hero back in the day and every new GH or Rock Band or whatever that used the same system, I smashed on Expert right out the gates. Then DJ Hero happened. I had to learn something new, and it felt amazing when it finally clicked. Absolutely the same energy here. There is a LOT to learn, but stick with it! Legit one of the most satisfying games I’ve ever played.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm516,724
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 22:19
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    At what point can you play on Hellish? Is it available from the start or must it be unlocked by playing on a different mode first?
    All four difficulty levels are available right away. Practice only includes the first half of the game but goes gentle on modifiers to ease you in, Easy (a misnomer if ever there was one) is all levels with infrequent mods, Hard increases modifier chance and allows multiple for bosses, as well as introducing late-game enemies sooner, and Hellish is max mod chance, 50% extra health for enemies, and you take double damage. Only one Hard clear so far here, but I’ve come close on others and will get the rest of the regular characters done soon…

    Edit: That said, beating Easy and Hard on a character unlocks their two abilities, so you do kinda need to work up through the modes to stand a fighting chance.
    Thanks. I’m a jump-in-the-deep-end & hope I don’t sink kind of gamer. smile
  • Posted on 05 October 21 at 22:29
    Allgorhythm said:
    Thanks. I’m a jump-in-the-deep-end & hope I don’t sink kind of gamer. smile
    Haha then please enjoy this video game where even the paddling pool tries to (and can) drown you! toast
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm516,724
    Posted on 05 October 21 at 22:45
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Thanks. I’m a jump-in-the-deep-end & hope I don’t sink kind of gamer. smile
    Haha then please enjoy this video game where even the paddling pool tries to (and can) drown you! toast
    That’s the kind of game I like. Last year, I played too many forgettable games often just to keep a streak going. This year, I’m trying to play games that are more demanding & time consuming. smile
  • MH The RockstarMH The Rockstar1,207,258
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 00:01
    Thanks for the review! Going to pass on this - I like rhythm games but this one does nothing for me.
    Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way.
  • NutriWhipNutriWhip2,886,867
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 00:28
    Sensitivity feels awful in this game. I turned my horizontal and vertical sensitivity to 37 and smoothing to 50. It feels a little better, but it's still bad. It just feels like they mapped mouse movement to the right stick. It's just not quite right.
  • AnaxulusAnaxulus21,888
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 01:58
    This has been on my radar for a little while now, I enjoyed reading the review!
  • pezboybenpezboyben831,265
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 03:02
    This is a very cool review, definitely not a game for me, but I appreciate the work you put in to writing it.
  • MC PHILABUSTAMC PHILABUSTA1,379,634
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 03:24
    Metal is awesome !!!?
  • Gizmo2kGizmo2k1,158,265
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 07:19
    These kind of reviews that you're writing BadRubberPiggy are the stand out on this site. Loved your Hades one (and even more so the Road to 1000 one), so much so I figured despite its short-comings it was worth a bash. This review has convinced me that my mind's not ready for this one yet (I'm 4 short on the completion of Hades and I've not had a lot of good fortune).
  • BattedBam97BattedBam97298,707
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 09:15, Edited on 06 October 21 at 09:17 by BattedBam97
    couldn't stop playing this game yesterday
    and is one of the best games I have played this year. rock
  • SkinfasstSkinfasst427,547
    Posted on 06 October 21 at 09:30
    Reading this review I was sure it'd be a five or six score, but eight!!! This game sounds terrible to me, and the review definitely didn't change my mind. A good read though.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.