Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Back 4 Blood review

• DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs300,959
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 09:49
    Back 4 Blood sees Turtle Rock Studios return to top zombie-killing form, and Tom jumped in to help save the people of Fort Hope from a fate worse than death... here's what he found.

Please click here to read the full story: Back 4 Blood review
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 09:56
    Lost me with the generic overplayed ace of spades.
    I voted for kodos
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 10:11
    Although let’s be honest, the technical problems will more than likely be fixed soon, and the team has already noted player concerns regarding the solo capabilities of the game, so I won’t judge too harshly on that front.

Care to elaborate on this? I think the fact that achievement progress and stat tracking isn't available in single player is a pretty big thing to skip over, especially considering what site we are on.

https://twitter.com/TurtleRock/status/1446675552191098883
  • FleshMechanicCZFleshMechanicCZ1,400,719
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 10:22, Edited on 12 October 21 at 10:50 by FleshMechanicCZ
    Didn't enjoy the beta and the flaws carried over to the full release. The balancing is absolutely terrible, the game throws ridiculous amount of special infected at you to the point where they barely feel special and rather as common enemies, on the LOWEST difficulty, even when playing solo, so I guess no difficulty scaling based on how many people are actually playing. You are constantly running out of ammo too, so you better pray you're playing with a bunch of generous bots or your friends you can coordinate with. Simple resupply ammo boxes would do wonders here.
    And the gunplay just feels off, no matter how much I fiddled around with sensitivity and deadzone. I can usually enjoy these games rather easily, but after a couple of hours in the beta and like an hour of this, I can safely say I'm done with it. It's Evolve all over again.
    EDIT: Oh yeah and no achievement progress in solo campaign is perhaps the biggest F-you from a developer this year.
  • KrispyQuimKrispyQuim450,449
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 10:33
    Matchmaking is slugish,even with crossplay. Then when you finally get matched you can be waiting up to 3 mins in the safehouse waiting for players to ready up! 3 mins!! And during this time you cant even access the market to prepare! Once we hit the safehouse you are then welcomed by the troll if the group who refuses to join and halt progress even further! No timer to kick in and force the troll, not even a vote to kick said troll. Unless playing with a squad of 4 friends i struggle to recommend this. Thats its focus and is clear to see, hence the complete lack of progression playing solo! a solo player will have nothing but a chore with this unless some changes are made. Glad its on gamepass as i would of been pissed to shell out for this! Seems turtle rock could be doing an Evolve all over again
  • WriggyWriggy932,307
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 10:33, Edited on 12 October 21 at 10:34 by Wriggy
    Just to add to Original Clone's point, I think it's important that when you review a game, you judge it on its current state, as saying "the technical problems will more than likely be fixed soon" is just pure speculation, especially when the studio hasn't confirmed any specific details

Despite the praise the game has been getting, the issues regarding solo play and achievement progression has made this go from a must-play to an avoid
    Wriggy
  • NajayNajay49,194
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 10:39
    hell yeah this game is so fun
    Genre manager for TA.
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 10:43
    Great review! Couple of thoughts though:

1.) I started playing on solo initially and got through act one before realizing the locked achievements and such. Even then, I was having some issues with keeping my bots alive. They are stupid and I’m a 100% “If it can be done I want to do it solo” player and this game is way better with others.

2.) There is sone issues with balancing, specifically the over abundance of specials, and I agree with others that matchmaking is hit and miss. The comment made about looking over issues that will eventually get patched makes perfect sense to me. You can’t fix them all and you learn a lot once a game goes out into to wild.

3.) In no way do I think a review copy sways opinions. Not on this site. We are above that. I purchased my own copy even though it was on game pass and I agree with his score.

Excellent game that I can’t wait play more of.
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:08
    Played this at EGX with a group of friends, for those of us that played L4D and L4D2 before it is literally L4D3 with extra bells and whistles, its great fun but punishing.
  • FoogaFooga1,996,610
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:13
    Back 4 Blood is the co-op survival shooter that we’ve been waiting for since Left 4 Dead took the world by storm.
    Vermintide has entered the chat

All joking aside, B4B has a lot of bootleg aspects to it but with enough tuning and post launch content, I think it could be pretty decent.
  • jimmy0brienjimmy0brien1,302,353
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:26
    I agree, review the game based on its current state not what it could be, also being more critical of the achievements makes sense because that is what the majority of us are here for.
  • SuperPed13SuperPed13560,742
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:28
    Waiting forever for people to load into the starting room is killing my enjoyment
  • SharpEdgeMMASharpEdgeMMA245,310
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:45
    There are lots of things wrong with this game, but it's still solidly fun when/if you get a good team. The difficulty spike seems very off though.
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:47
    Played it this morning played the whole tutorial/Prologue and really enjoyed it. Then realised none of the achievements I had actually completed had unlocked. And then saw that solo mode the Cheevos don’t work very sad
  • MasterChief TomMasterChief Tom1,325,311
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:51
    Wriggy said:
    Just to add to Original Clone's point, I think it's important that when you review a game, you judge it on its current state, as saying "the technical problems will more than likely be fixed soon" is just pure speculation, [...]
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 11:51
    I'll personally wait until they bring back a true Survivor/Infected versus mode.
  • Alpha QuacksAlpha Quacks278,112
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 12:33
    From what I have played, it's L4D but with more modern mechanics and a much more interesting take on the director mode. Also way way harder.
  • Termentir725Termentir725137,490
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 12:45
    WonderfulWest said:
    Played it this morning played the whole tutorial/Prologue and really enjoyed it. Then realised none of the achievements I had actually completed had unlocked. And then saw that solo mode the Cheevos don’t work very sad
    Same here. I’m a person who only plays these types of games solo due to past issues with online play.
  • Posted on 12 October 21 at 12:49
    jimmy0brien said:
    I agree, review the game based on its current state not what it could be, also being more critical of the achievements makes sense because that is what the majority of us are here for.
    Exactly, absolutely no consistency in reviews here any more. Games have been marked down based on their current state, while others such as this have been marked up based on what they will eventually be.

But remember guys, it's all subjective, and any criticisms of reviews here hold no merit. TrueAchievements knows best.
  • ShadowRaven9ShadowRaven9302,710
    Posted on 12 October 21 at 13:03
    Original Clone said:
    Although let’s be honest, the technical problems will more than likely be fixed soon, and the team has already noted player concerns regarding the solo capabilities of the game, so I won’t judge too harshly on that front.

Care to elaborate on this? I think the fact that achievement progress and stat tracking isn't available in single player is a pretty big thing to skip over, especially considering what site we are on.

https://twitter.com/TurtleRock/status/1446675552191098883
    I like how you link a tweet that remedies your issues. Also "considering what site were on" has no grounds for an argument also. This site has a huge mix of multiplayer and single player focused players. Theres an entire site feature built around co-op and multiplayer achievements.

The biggest take away from this game is that, you better have 3 friends or pass on the completely if you dont like rando's. This is not at all new from L4D1, L4D2, Evolve or Dead by Daylight. The core of the game is built for multiplayer like it or not. The game should be reviewed and respected for this.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.