Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

12 Xbox One games delisted from Microsoft Store, cannot be redownloaded [updated]

• Posted on 30 October 21 at 20:09
    tsu4311 said:
    This is why I have an 8 tb external hard drive and download everything
    Pft, I have 2 :p
  • gallardoSVKgallardoSVK220,507
    Posted on 30 October 21 at 20:35
    Seems like Past Cure is still unavailable, unlike several others from the list which seem to be available on Store. As for Past Cure, I have it on disc, probably becoming a rare find now.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 October 21 at 21:19
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:
    That's exactly the reason for me to always shout out loudly: NO DISC, NO MONEY FROM ME.

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.
    It's digital with extra steps. Your physical disc boils down to nothing more than a token you need to insert to play the game.
    A token that will always have monetary value and is always usuable.

Like shown here if they were to rug pull your games away you have nothing, if you have a disk you insert said game and play.
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,994,195
    Posted on 30 October 21 at 22:19, Edited on 30 October 21 at 22:23 by EarthboundX
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:
    That's exactly the reason for me to always shout out loudly: NO DISC, NO MONEY FROM ME.

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.
    It's digital with extra steps. Your physical disc boils down to nothing more than a token you need to insert to play the game.

Like shown here if they were to rug pull your games away you have nothing, if you have a disk you insert said game and play.
    I think you missed the point. The same thing can happen with discs as well, They can remove the license from physical games as well from people if they wanted to. If their removed your license, you can't play your discs either.
    Posted on 30 October 21 at 22:22
    TymanTheLong said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Simpso said:
    Isnt the actual technical term for things when we buy games, dvds etc that we purchase a non transferable licence to play the game and not physically the game itself.?
    And if so , distributor could revoke that licence at any time?
    I'm sure it happened we ebooks from time to time when online stores close down.
    It would be really bad and get lots of negative attention thrown their way as on here.
    But legally have they done anything wrong if they have pulled the games?
    I'm not sure if there's been a precedent for it. I think yeah, all TOS pretty much have that in them, but it's never happened before as far as I know. Other then losing games because accounts have been banned.

I'm not sure there's every been a service that took away everyone's digital products for no reason, unless maybe the business itself was shut down?

There's only 2 games on Xbox I can currently recall that it happened. That Sour Patch Kids game, and the second Afro Ninja game. Both of those games were removed, and they revoked everyone's licenses for them. Oh, and maybe The Culling 2?
    Actually it’s happened quite a few times, Walmart notably had a big service they shut down that was music and/or movies iirc. A quick search doesn’t even reveal the name (and I’m too lazy to keep looking). The fact you've never heard of it, I can’t recall the name, and the internet doesn’t care to record the fact (even on pages like Wikipedia’s DRM page) just tells me that consumers will pretty much put up with it.

Having been very interested and engaged during a time when the opposition to DRM was much stronger, my educated guess is it was Steam that ultimately turned the consumer tide in favor of putting up with it. Before that DRM was pretty good about reminding you that it was there in the most obnoxious ways. Plus Steam had a product that people wanted a lot: multiplayer video games with (at the time) insane discounts during sales.

But yeah, many of the early services were shut down and people lost their purchases. It probably sucked a lot for them.
    Well that's a business shutting down like I mentioned. I'm talking about a precedent where a service just decided to take people's digital goods away, just because they can, since it's in their TOS.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 October 21 at 22:47
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

I think you missed the point. The same thing can happen with discs as well, They can remove the license from physical games as well from people if they wanted to. If their removed your license, you can't play your discs either.
    Ive never ever heard of what you just described, source?

Ive got 1000s of physicals for various platforms and this is a first
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
    Posted on 30 October 21 at 22:50, Edited on 30 October 21 at 22:52 by EarthboundX
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

Like I said, there's been no precedent for it happening, but it's in the TOS I believe. We don't legally own any of our games anymore sadly, but it's never been enforced. We get a license when we buy games, digital or physical, and I believe the TOS says they can take that license from us if they wanted. It's something that started in the 360 gen I want to say.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 October 21 at 22:52
    EarthboundX said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Simpso said:
    Isnt the actual technical term for things when we buy games, dvds etc that we purchase a non transferable licence to play the game and not physically the game itself.?
    It would be really bad and get lots of negative attention thrown their way as on here.
    I'm not sure if there's been a precedent for it. I think yeah, all TOS pretty much have that in them, but it's never happened before as far as I know. Other then losing games because accounts have been banned.

I'm not sure there's every been a service that took away everyone's digital products for no reason, unless maybe the business itself was shut down?

There's only 2 games on Xbox I can currently recall that it happened. That Sour Patch Kids game, and the second Afro Ninja game. Both of those games were removed, and they revoked everyone's licenses for them. Oh, and maybe The Culling 2?
    Actually it’s happened quite a few times, Walmart notably had a big service they shut down that was music and/or movies iirc. A quick search doesn’t even reveal the name (and I’m too lazy to keep looking). The fact you've never heard of it, I can’t recall the name, and the internet doesn’t care to record the fact (even on pages like Wikipedia’s DRM page) just tells me that consumers will pretty much put up with it.

Having been very interested and engaged during a time when the opposition to DRM was much stronger, my educated guess is it was Steam that ultimately turned the consumer tide in favor of putting up with it. Before that DRM was pretty good about reminding you that it was there in the most obnoxious ways. Plus Steam had a product that people wanted a lot: multiplayer video games with (at the time) insane discounts during sales.

But yeah, many of the early services were shut down and people lost their purchases. It probably sucked a lot for them.
    Well that's a business shutting down like I mentioned. I'm talking about a precedent where a service just decided to take people's digital goods away, just because they can, since it's in their TOS.
    Evolve Achievements is one im fairly certain that has been removed aswell, as I recall getting it really early on with GWG on X1, but it magicly dissapeared from my library, the game works fine if you use a Disk though
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 October 21 at 22:56
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

Like I said, there's been no precedent for it happening, but it's in the TOS I believe. We don't legally own any of our games anymore sadly, but it's never been enforced. We get a license when we buy games, digital or physical, and I believe the TOS says they can take that license from us if they wanted. It's something that started in the 360 gen I want to say.
    Link me this statement from the ToS then ?

Like I'm intrigued and want to know more. "Just trust me bro" is not enough
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
    Posted on 30 October 21 at 23:01, Edited on 30 October 21 at 23:06 by EarthboundX
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

This is what I could find with a quick search.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement

I believe it's under Software license. I don't believe that's 100% related to games though. It's been years since I last read about this, so hopefully it's been changed? Need to keep looking myself, that was just from a quick search.

The bit about software being licensed, not sold is there though.

Ah, looks like the bit about games is under STANDARD APPLICATION LICENSE TERMS.

"3. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The application is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the application. If Microsoft disables the ability to use the applications on your devices pursuant to your agreement with Microsoft, any associated license rights will terminate."

Again, I don't think that's ever happened unless the business was shutting down, but that seems to be it.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 October 21 at 23:08, Edited on 30 October 21 at 23:15 by
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

I believe it's under Software license. I don't believe that's 100% related to games though. It's been years since I last read about this, so hopefully it's been changed? Need to keep looking myself, that was just from a quick search.

Yeah, it's just alien what you said intially to me, like I want to not believe you, just because it's wrong (for us) that a disk cannot be played because publisher says so. Because that would be fucked up, if they start cancelling those disks for delisted 360/X1 games

Not that some games run without connections

Halo Wars 2 and AC Odessey ( i think thats the one ) come to mind

Excluding the thought of online only games ofcourse, like Rocket League, MGS Survive FO76 etc

As a firm defender of game preservation. I rarely cave in to digital purchases, only if said game is digital only. If there is a disk I'll try hunt it down even if it's at times 2x or 3x as expensive.

That being said bought Gemini Heroes cuz im a sucker for regional stacking

Edit: it seems to target software on digital platforms specificly in the exert you shared. It's vague territory but i think there are like only a handful of ocassions that would happen to disks over basicly all platforms combined.

Honestly i think it was purely an error on M$'s side

Also as an afterthought that is whats great about 360, you have a disk you pop it in wether it be you off or online you can still play most of the disk based games direcetly without patches or live connection
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • ElyohElyoh1,034,417
    Posted on 30 October 21 at 23:14
    A disc is, legally, just a licence to play the game. If they can revoke a digital licence, they could remove a physical once as well under the same pretence.

I also don't believe it's ever happened, but the legal framework is there if somewhere down the line someone wanted to.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong498,527
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 00:03
    EarthboundX said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Simpso said:

I mean I suppose it’s somewhat of a semantic argument but Walmart is still very much in business, they shut down their digital music service and basically said they didn’t have to provide access to those digital goods that had been purchased through it.

A lot of those early experiments were actually run by big corporations.
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 02:26
    TymanTheLong said:
    EarthboundX said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Simpso said:

I mean I suppose it’s somewhat of a semantic argument but Walmart is still very much in business, they shut down their digital music service and basically said they didn’t have to provide access to those digital goods that had been purchased through it.

A lot of those early experiments were actually run by big corporations.
    Fair enough, that's true. I didn't even know they had a music service at one point.
  • OhhJustBQOhhJustBQ878,113
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 02:33
    damn some great ratios on there
    i hope it is a mistake and that they not only fix it but put those games on sale
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 03:06
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Simpso said:

Evolve Achievements is one im fairly certain that has been removed aswell, as I recall getting it really early on with GWG on X1, but it magicly dissapeared from my library, the game works fine if you use a Disk though
    Evolve is still downloadable if you own it.

My games owned number is back to normal (Except the MTG games)
    Hola
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 08:09
    This is one reason if a game has a physical version, I will -always- get the physical version over a digital. If it comes out digitally, then physically, I have no qualms paying bit extra to re-buy it as physical. Don't really like doing that, but, I am a game collector so it's what I do. For those games that are only digital, I always install them, and keep them installed, I have multiple external hard-drives for exactly this reason, once one is full of games I don't play I just unplug it and put it in storage, for -exactly- this reason. I have never trusted digital only ownership, and I never will.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead706,097
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 08:56, Edited on 31 October 21 at 09:05 by HolyHalfDead
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

Yeah, it's just alien what you said intially to me, like I want to not believe you, just because it's wrong (for us) that a disk cannot be played because publisher says so. Because that would be fucked up, if they start cancelling those disks for delisted 360/X1 games

Excluding the thought of online only games ofcourse, like Rocket League, MGS Survive FO76 etc

As a firm defender of game preservation. I rarely cave in to digital purchases, only if said game is digital only. If there is a disk I'll try hunt it down even if it's at times 2x or 3x as expensive.

Edit: it seems to target software on digital platforms specificly in the exert you shared. It's vague territory but i think there are like only a handful of ocassions that would happen to disks over basicly all platforms combined.

Also as an afterthought that is whats great about 360, you have a disk you pop it in wether it be you off or online you can still play most of the disk based games direcetly without patches or live connection
    Here is an Xbox 360 disc that can be no longer played, and it’s not the only one:
    Defiance

I guess it is still a “token” that has value, if you can deceive someone to buy it from you.

Try telling your kids you will only buy games on discs for their phone, or iPad, and they will ask you where is the slot to put the disc into the phone.

The digital age has arrived, whether we like it or not.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 31 October 21 at 09:33
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    x ALBANACH x said:
    SanguinDies said:

FCK DIGITAL ONLY.

Here is an Xbox 360 disc that can be no longer played, and it’s not the only one:
    Defiance

I guess it is still a “token” that has value, if you can deceive someone to buy it from you.

Try telling your kids you will only buy games on discs for their phone, or iPad, and they will ask you where is the slot to put the disc into the phone.

The digital age has arrived, whether we like it or not.
    One game = all games is your thinking, shallow but whatever man, also the reason that applies is that its an online only server game. This is what eventually will happen to most titles on Xbox 1 as they are almost solely based on servers. Even the achievement system on Xbox 1 is server based.

If this is the future you want go and support it but don't go crying when all the server closures get announced

Digital is your future, not mine.
    Rainbow Dash best Pony
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 09:34
    Bloody hell, some of the comments here are a mess. Will TA ever implement a straight-forward comment section? Some comments re-quoted dozens of times, meaning you have to constantly scroll through the same text multiple times to see the next new bit of text. The more "replies", the longer/messier it gets. Imagine if this was how replies were handled on Facebook or Reddit?! It would be a nightmare. Why can't we just simply reply to a comment??? Come on TA!
    He who never made a mistake, never made anything at all
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.