Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

12 Xbox One games delisted from Microsoft Store, cannot be redownloaded [updated]

• TymanTheLongTymanTheLong419,826
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 22:05, Edited on 31 October 21 at 22:06 by TymanTheLong
    Dutch x Monster said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Sashamorning said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Sashamorning said:
    Might want to update the title to indicate that some have been relisted.
    Holy crap, there’s been TWO updates at the top of the story for over a day and the title includes “updated” to let people know that those updates exist.

People are so lazy that they can’t read the two blurbs that start with UPDATE, the literal first thing you see when clicking on the story. The only thing they could do at this point is delete the story, people will just jump to comments to have their reaction regardless of what they do.
    facepalm

The point is that you have to click on the story. Period. There are enough staff to update the article, but not to change the deceptive headline?

12 Xbox One games delisted from Microsoft Store, cannot be redownloaded
    Anyone who knows anything about usability knows that decreasing clicks helps users. Maybe not the site, but definitely the users.

Titles have been changed before. In fact, THIS article was updated with the "[updated]". As it is, the original title no longer applies.

I don't appreciate the derision in your response. I assume you're intelligent enough to understand what I'm saying. Right now the title is misleading.

Period.
    I understand what you mean and you’re arguing against news convention.

“Updated” is literally the internet news convention, even used by the NYT and Washington Post when a story has updates. It’s about as user friendly as it gets. It tells the user there’s been developments since the article was posted. Changing a headline is bad, it can make an article hard or impossible to find again.

I understand usability and my initial reaction is your usability argument is flawed and ignores convention.

Dutch x Monster said:
    Cuz it's a deceiving title currently, it should be changed. It currently gives the idea that 12 games are delisted which isn't true. Rather see something like [12 Games Re-apear on the store again] or whatever suits
    See above, TA is following internet news convention. They’re doing it correctly.
    Deceiving readers is correct "internet news convention"

Ok buddy
    If by deceiving you mean, “presenting all the relevant information at very top of the article with the word “Update” bolded and well as “updated” in the title, the standard online news convention for articles who’s facts have changed or evolved since publishing, then yeah, it’s deceiving to assume readers can manage to process 3 sentences before scrolling furiously down to the comments section to immortalize their reaction for all of us to read.

Then yeah, totally “deceiving”.
  • Zeppelin041Zeppelin041618,248
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 22:05
    Not that these games are big ones or anything but this is a Prime example as to why digital is not always the way to go but everyone in the world thinks it’s the greatest thing ever. At any moment the licenses can be pulled, stores can be closed, games can be removed, or it can get straight jacked like this….going completely digital being a gamer is a poor choice. Physical copies will always have value, if you’re spending thousands on games why not get something that could potentially be worth more in the future? Always go physical copy if you can.
  • Mister BudsMister Buds1,543,816
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 22:15
    I could only find the games mentioned in this article by the direct store links on the game pages here. Can't find them searching or browsing the store on any device. Bought the ones I'm interested in and hadn't purchased already.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong419,826
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 22:16, Edited on 31 October 21 at 22:17 by TymanTheLong
    Zeppelin041 said:
    Not that these games are big ones or anything but this is a Prime example as to why digital is not always the way to go but everyone in the world thinks it’s the greatest thing ever. At any moment the licenses can be pulled, stores can be closed, games can be removed, or it can get straight jacked like this….going completely digital being a gamer is a poor choice. Physical copies will always have value, if you’re spending thousands on games why not get something that could potentially be worth more in the future? Always go physical copy if you can.
    For every Superman #1 and original boxed copy of System Shock 2 there’s literally 10s of thousands of games and comics that are completely worthless. The real main advantage of physical over digital is the ability to transfer the ownership of the item. Not really for sale, just to hand to a friend or whatever when you’re done.

I’m not against physical ownership, I used to be that way. Eventually I just realized it wasn’t for me and most of the supposed upsides were not what they were cracked up to be. I can carry an entire library of books on my phone, I can subscribe to the majority of DC or Marvel’s back catalog for under $10 a month. People buy so many video games they’ll never play that “backlog” is pretty much a running cultural joke. For rarer stuff my public library is still a thing, I’ve inter-library loaned more books than I can count, my brother even occasionally gets loaned rare architectural books shipped from Europe that way.

Archival is a strong argument, but as I’ve watched a lifetime of collected stuff and what really happens to it over time, I’ve realized why archivist is an actual degree in the library sciences and why it costs so much to maintain any museum collection (even a small university museum).
  • Flolly1Flolly1308,514
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 22:28
    Seems like all games are back on the store
  • EmEm1,054,331
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 23:51
    Mister Buds said:
    I could only find the games mentioned in this article by the direct store links on the game pages here. Can't find them searching or browsing the store on any device. Bought the ones I'm interested in and hadn't purchased already.
    Delisted titles are not searchable or browsable on the store by design.
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN364,983
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 00:09
    EarthboundX said:
    Like I said, there's been no precedent for it happening, but it's in the TOS I believe. We don't legally own any of our games anymore sadly, but it's never been enforced. We get a license when we buy games, digital or physical, and I believe the TOS says they can take that license from us if they wanted. It's something that started in the 360 gen I want to say.
    And that is where you are wrong. There is precedent of content being removed from storage device and/or people never being able de redownload a game ever again. A I have the "pleasure" of being part of both. The TOS had a clause that stated that Microsoft even had the right to remove content from your console storage at their discretion or at request of a publisher wanting to end the possibility/ability of a game being played. It was on your part to make backups of your purchased content, hence the eternal fight (long forgotten) of people asking and demanding for, and such, proper tools to be given. or provided.
  • Mister BudsMister Buds1,543,816
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 00:52
    Em said:
    Mister Buds said:
    They're not delisted though, they're somewhere in limbo.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,681,245
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 05:40
    FOKENWOLFEN said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Like I said, there's been no precedent for it happening, but it's in the TOS I believe. We don't legally own any of our games anymore sadly, but it's never been enforced. We get a license when we buy games, digital or physical, and I believe the TOS says they can take that license from us if they wanted. It's something that started in the 360 gen I want to say.
    And that is where you are wrong. There is precedent of content being removed from storage device and/or people never being able de redownload a game ever again. A I have the "pleasure" of being part of both. The TOS had a clause that stated that Microsoft even had the right to remove content from your console storage at their discretion or at request of a publisher wanting to end the possibility/ability of a game being played. It was on your part to make backups of your purchased content, hence the eternal fight (long forgotten) of people asking and demanding for, and such, proper tools to be given. or provided.
    What game/s?
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion792,822
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 12:12
    Mister Buds said:
    Em said:
    Mister Buds said:
    They're not delisted though, they're somewhere in limbo.
    Also, that's not even true...at least not completely.

You can still find most delisted games and bundles on the Xbox store. You just can't download them unless you've already purchased them.

That's actually the only way I could download the FH2 DLC after it was delisted as it wasn't showing up in the "Manage Game & Add-ons" list.
    This comment has been approved by Boots Orion.
  • DubstepEdgelordDubstepEdgelord1,699,804
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 17:50, Edited on 01 November 21 at 17:54 by DubstepEdgelord
    And they're gone again? EDIT: I think TA is confused, the links on the right don't show but the games show up in the wishlist. Also, Mekazoo got a permanent price drop, from $20 to $10
  • ShinUkyoShinUkyo186,839
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 23:53
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    ShinUkyo said:
    The folks saying they only buy physical copies for preservation's sake need to know that this isn't a permanent solution, either. For the time being, thankfully, it means you can still play that game if it gets delisted. Since you'll still be able to get patches for the game from Microsoft and Sony's servers, still play and share what you do online, etc. However this is only in the short-term.

Since the start of last generation (XB1 and PS4,) all games are now digital. The disc version is simply one way you can install these digital games (and thankfully also collect something tangible, resell or lend the game to others, etc.) However you'll need to download patches once you install the portion that's on the disc. There aren't any disc releases with the up-to-date version of a game present on them. And in fact for most "AAA" games these days, the data present on the disc alone doesn't even give you a playable version of the game. You'll need the "day one patch."

When you save your game, it is linked to the current version/patch of the game that is out. If you try to load your save data on an older build of the game, it generally won't work. So in the case that Microsoft or Sony stop supporting game patches decades down the line: your old disc copy won't be compatible with your save. And it will be an earlier, often unplayable version of the game (if you decided to start from scratch, let's say.) This is not like games in the pre-modern era where the physical version of a game is the full, final version of that game. Where no online connectivity is required.
    I installed several games yesterday that didn't need patches. While you are mostly correct, to say that there are none is false.
    This is great to hear! I didn't mean to be misleading about it. My experience with discs had been that they always needed patches. There are likely a handful of disc releases out there with the final release of the game as you mentioned. Like in cases where the disc was released after the download version had been out for a while already (from places like Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, etc.) That or collections of smaller titles like the Tell Tale Games series that often released well after that particular series/season was completed.

In any case, it doesn't negate what I said in my post. I am super thankful that disc versions of games keep getting released, especially in cases of licensed property titles (where they get delisted and it allows folks to still play them after the fact.) I just meant that, unfortunately for us, almost no games in the modern era are technically permanent. Even on discs. I wish so much that the console makers and publishers would devote energy to game preservation. While ROM/ISO sites do a lot for the cause, It's one of the greatest and most painful things we lack from the industry itself.
  • DontasciimeDontasciime357,512
    Posted on 02 November 21 at 09:44
    I have just seen the new games with gold purchasing update for the first time, is this related to the cock up Ms made
    -----------------------------------------------
  • Posted on 02 November 21 at 15:04
    Gemini Heroes is back to download (16Gb), it wasn't on Sunday.
  • Posted on 02 November 21 at 15:46
    ShinUkyo said:
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    ShinUkyo said:
    The folks saying they only buy physical copies for preservation's sake need to know that this isn't a permanent solution, either. For the time being, thankfully, it means you can still play that game if it gets delisted. Since you'll still be able to get patches for the game from Microsoft and Sony's servers, still play and share what you do online, etc. However this is only in the short-term.

Since the start of last generation (XB1 and PS4,) all games are now digital. The disc version is simply one way you can install these digital games (and thankfully also collect something tangible, resell or lend the game to others, etc.) However you'll need to download patches once you install the portion that's on the disc. There aren't any disc releases with the up-to-date version of a game present on them. And in fact for most "AAA" games these days, the data present on the disc alone doesn't even give you a playable version of the game. You'll need the "day one patch."

When you save your game, it is linked to the current version/patch of the game that is out. If you try to load your save data on an older build of the game, it generally won't work. So in the case that Microsoft or Sony stop supporting game patches decades down the line: your old disc copy won't be compatible with your save. And it will be an earlier, often unplayable version of the game (if you decided to start from scratch, let's say.) This is not like games in the pre-modern era where the physical version of a game is the full, final version of that game. Where no online connectivity is required.
    I installed several games yesterday that didn't need patches. While you are mostly correct, to say that there are none is false.
    This is great to hear! I didn't mean to be misleading about it. My experience with discs had been that they always needed patches. There are likely a handful of disc releases out there with the final release of the game as you mentioned. Like in cases where the disc was released after the download version had been out for a while already (from places like Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, etc.) That or collections of smaller titles like the Tell Tale Games series that often released well after that particular series/season was completed.

In any case, it doesn't negate what I said in my post. I am super thankful that disc versions of games keep getting released, especially in cases of licensed property titles (where they get delisted and it allows folks to still play them after the fact.) I just meant that, unfortunately for us, almost no games in the modern era are technically permanent. Even on discs. I wish so much that the console makers and publishers would devote energy to game preservation. While ROM/ISO sites do a lot for the cause, It's one of the greatest and most painful things we lack from the industry itself.
    The last 2 w/o patches were Wolfenstein and Valkyria Chronicles, which i got close to release. Wolfenstein Old Blood also just had a 60mb, which is nothing. None are small games or LRG's.

I mean, I agree. This gen's games in general are crippled w/o patches, but there are games out there that don't need them (I only found them because my HD died and I needed to reinstall a few games)
    Hola
  • Posted on 03 November 21 at 06:57
    MGaskell said:
    Been waiting for Gemini to go on sale to buy it, damn!
    Same here. FOR YEARS.
    I approve of this message.
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN364,983
    Posted on 07 November 21 at 03:27, Edited on 07 November 21 at 03:31 by FOKENWOLFEN
    EarthboundX said:
    What game/s?
    Not only games, but also Gamer pictures, themes, avatar items.
    For Games examples we have Marble blast ultra, World gone sour, Dream Chronicles.

And the one I even had installed that got removed and I was never able to download again. Sega Rally online Arcade.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.