Game Discussion: FATAL FRAME: Maiden of Black Water

S+ ranks

• Posted on 31 October 21 at 01:47
    Does anyone know how the rank system works and do items carry over on say a second playthrough or just replaying levels?
  • Inferno118Inferno1182,948,907
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 03:38
    You get extra points for the better shots of course like doing shutter shots. Make sure to glance every ghost you kill, so try to finish them in a spot where you can interact with them. Minimizing item use and getting more items adds to your points. Clear time may be a factor but I’m not %100 on that. There’s a video on YouTube of a 100% collectible run + S+ rank all levels on nightmare if you need help. You just replay levels whenever so your upgrades stay. I recommend playing a normal playthrough, then S + all levels on Normal, then s+ nightmare.
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 04:18
    Why would I want to s+ nightmare and so u know time doesn't seem to matter and do you know if the items you collect stay with you on another level or going back to levels?
  • Alfa ArtyAlfa Arty1,056,511
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 05:40
    xUND3RTAK3RxRKO said:
    Why would I want to s+ nightmare and so u know time doesn't seem to matter and do you know if the items you collect stay with you on another level or going back to levels?
    You are given certain amount of default starting items per each Drop. How many items you will use or spare as well as find and add to your total will all count towards the score at the end of the Drop.

Some Drops like 9th will give you plenty of items to start with purely because the drop is short and there are much less ghosts. Other drops might give you less items because of how long it is and how many potential ghosts it will have
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 06:13
    So they don't carry over between drops?
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 13:25
    You want to s+ nightmare to unlock all camera upgrade achievement
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 15:35
    Ok so you can't just re do the levels to get the points?
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 15:38
    You can replay levels at any point
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 15:52
    Then why do I need to do a nightmare playthrough for the upgrades?
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 16:10
    Inferno118 said:
    You want to s+ nightmare to unlock all camera upgrade achievement
    ^
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 17:20
    Ok but why is there more upgrades or lenses on that difficuli?
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 19:11
    Difficulty
  • FFX BrotherhoodFFX Brotherhood1,359,056
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 22:47
    Yes, you need to S rank missions on Normal and Nightmare (I'm unaware if Nightmare stacks) to unlock some of the Lens/Obscura Upgrades
    I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
  • Posted on 31 October 21 at 23:23
    Ok thanks do you know how hard nightmare is and how do you unlock it?
    Posted on 31 October 21 at 23:46
    It's been ages, but I feel I remember Nightmare just unlocks after you beat the game, not sure if you require the 4 (I think it was 4) other missions.

I also can't remember the changes nightmare Made, so I googled it and got this information, copied as found.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
  • Posted on 01 November 21 at 00:43
    Ok thanks man that will help
  • Ow NitramOw Nitram3,857,392
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 02:42
    Ranking formula is this : (Ghost battles pts* + Spirit photography pts** + Items pickup***) - (Items bought + Items used)

*Type-7 film with "headshot" fatal frame photo is the best way to "farm" points during ghost battles since it's the weakest film and takes longer to exorcise the ghost.

**What I mean is the Specters & Echoes snapshot

***Each item is worth the same amount of points that his cost

Time has no bearing.

For nightmare, FFX Brotherhood summarized it well but ghost actually does double damage on nightmare and less items pickup = harder S+.
  • Posted on 01 November 21 at 04:41
    Oh wow but do the upgrades carry over to nightmare or do you start fresh?
  • Posted on 01 November 21 at 07:19
    Ow Nitram said:
    Ranking formula is this : (Ghost battles pts* + Spirit photography pts** + Items pickup***) - (Items bought + Items used)

*Type-7 film with "headshot" fatal frame photo is the best way to "farm" points during ghost battles since it's the weakest film and takes longer to exorcise the ghost.

**What I mean is the Specters & Echoes snapshot

***Each item is worth the same amount of points that his cost

Time has no bearing.

For nightmare, FFX Brotherhood summarized it well but ghost actually does double damage on nightmare and less items pickup = harder S+.
    So how hard is nightmare?
    Posted on 01 November 21 at 09:31
    I mean, that's a pretty subjective question. I remember it being more annoying than outright challenging, but it has been like 5/6 years since I last played. There are some good videos that show you optimal strategies for levels if you need them, which are useful to saving items for more annoying sections.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.