The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Easy Gamerscore: The 40 quickest game completions from the latest Xbox sales

• gothmogesgothmoges650,252
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 14:29
    vegansound said:
    What a shame Xbox became. Each week the sales are for easy GamerScore games mostly. No real title, just games made to earn easy money with easy achievements. Forty, FORTY easy games this week, more than usualy where it's about 25-30... Indie games became nonsense, I'm sick of it...
    You can just ignore them and continue playing your favorite games.

It's not like easy games are occupying a space instead of other games. There's room for everything. From grindfests, to absurd item collection, to uber-skilled games... And for easy games, too.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion869,803
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 18:11, Edited on 03 November 21 at 18:11 by Boots Orion
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:
    What a shame Xbox became. Each week the sales are for easy GamerScore games mostly. No real title, just games made to earn easy money with easy achievements. Forty, FORTY easy games this week, more than usualy where it's about 25-30... Indie games became nonsense, I'm sick of it...

It's not like easy games are occupying a space instead of other games. There's room for everything. From grindfests, to absurd item collection, to uber-skilled games... And for easy games, too.
    Not quite true. The prevelance of easy low-budget games has clearly affected the number of true AAA games that are released.

Also, if you look at the people who complain about these things it is usually TA's "Alphas". We've been around a long time and romanticize what the achievement meta-game used to be.

Even if those memories are somewhat rose-tinted, it doesn't change the fact that this meta-game isn't what it used to be. None of the stats really mean anything anymore.
    This comment has been approved by Boots Orion.
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 18:25
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

Not quite true. The prevelance of easy low-budget games has clearly affected the number of true AAA games that are released.
    How exactly do you arrive to that conclusion?
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 18:27
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

By using objectivity.
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 18:29
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

By using objectivity.
    Care to explain?
  • Posted on 03 November 21 at 22:46
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

By using objectivity.
    Care to explain?
    ... Refuses to elaborate further, leaves.
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 23:19, Edited on 03 November 21 at 23:23 by Boots Orion
    noMERCY BoRz said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

By using objectivity.
    Care to explain?
    Only partially quoted my comment. Wasn't worth providing a detailed answer.

But if you are unaware of how to find things on the internet, I found a couple things for you as you graciously requested:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/7556708...

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/3zapvk/lets_ma...

These posts are from 4-5 years ago, but it's even worse now. Also - I know these are just "opinion" posts, but everything posted on an internet forum (including this one) is just an opinion. You'll be able to poke holes in any theory without trying very hard.

You could argue that way more indie games being made, and way fewer AAA games being made is 100% coincidental, but I think you'd need more evidence of that being true, than I do to make my point - the emergence of the indie game has reduced the number of AAA being made as there is too much risk for the likely reward. Economics play a big role in decisions multi-billion dollar companies make. It isn't new.
  • JohnnyInterfnkJohnnyInterfnk1,014,140
    Posted on 03 November 21 at 23:28
    Boots Orion said:
    noMERCY BoRz said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

By using objectivity.
    Care to explain?

But if you are unaware of how to find things on the internet, I found a couple things for you as you graciously requested:

These posts are from 4-5 years ago, but it's even worse now. Also - I know these are just "opinion" posts, but everything posted on an internet forum (including this one) is just an opinion. You'll be able to poke holes in any theory without trying very hard.

You could argue that way more indie games being made, and way fewer AAA games being made is 100% coincidental, but I think you'd need more evidence of that being true, than I do to make my point - the emergence of the indie game has reduced the number of AAA being made as there is too much risk for the likely reward. Economics play a big role in decisions multi-billion dollar companies make. It isn't new.
    Less AAA game development has much, much, MUCH more to do with the transition to Software as a Service (SaaS) than anything indie games are doing. In essence, companies spend a LOT more time and money on post launch content nowadays and attempt to gain profits through micro-transactions and "engagement".

More resources poured into one game means less to develop other games. Its that simple.
    Posted on 04 November 21 at 02:36
    Even leaving side that correlation doesn't imply causation, there are tons of indie games which are not easy.
    Posted on 04 November 21 at 04:08, Edited on 04 November 21 at 04:09 by Boots Orion
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Boots Orion said:
    noMERCY BoRz said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

By using objectivity.
    Care to explain?

Less AAA game development has much, much, MUCH more to do with the transition to Software as a Service (SaaS) than anything indie games are doing. In essence, companies spend a LOT more time and money on post launch content nowadays and attempt to gain profits through micro-transactions and "engagement".

More resources poured into one game means less to develop other games. Its that simple.
    That's a fair point. There isn't any one reason though and to dismiss the effect indie games have had on AAA would be short sighted.

And really, the games affected by the SaaS movement are typically MP heavy games. But there has been a huge decline in the number of AAA story-driven games too.
  • eayragteayragt310,093
    Posted on 04 November 21 at 06:41
    Boots Orion said:
    That's a fair point. There isn't any one reason though and to dismiss the effect indie games have had on AAA would be short sighted.

And really, the games affected by the SaaS movement are typically MP heavy games. But there has been a huge decline in the number of AAA story-driven games too.
    Although it's much more likely that's because publishers are putting more money into MP games as they grow in popularity (see weekly charts), and this reduces investment in single player games, rather than reducing the number of MP games they develop.

AAA publishers have not moved in general to producing quick indy games. However, as developers of single player games find it harder to find someone to publish their games, they may decide to go independent, and may decide to concentrate on quicker games to build sales.
    Say everything with a smile
  • wildwest08wildwest081,580,705
    Posted on 04 November 21 at 14:55
    It is a lot less time and money to get the "indie" games out then a massive AAA game. Putting all of that time/money into the game for it to flop and lose business doesn't make sense to these companies. I wish it was different and we got more creative games out there, but numbers don't lie. Looking at the TA chart each week along with reviewing charts for other systems show that people want the games with service. Fortnite, Warzone, etc... top the chart week after week. The rare single player game might be in there, but it quickly drops. Only games like Assassins Creed stay in week after week due to multiple monthly events that keep people turning it on. It is much easier for a developer to spend less and be on the hook for less money if it doesn't turn a profit. This is why you see a lot of game pass games, developers want to protect themselves
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong476,216
    Posted on 04 November 21 at 17:17, Edited on 04 November 21 at 17:18 by TymanTheLong
    AAA has always chased the tiger. It used to be MMOs (because who didn’t want a WOW revenue stream?) now it is GaaS.

Previous to all that it was a transition to DLC over expacs, etc.

It’s a large assumption that indie games could have an effect on AAA studios. It’s much more likely that the decisions of AAA studios coupled with broadband penetration worldwide led to the explosion of indie gaming. Toss in a few really lucky breaks like Humble Bundle and the Steam platform tools and suddenly you have a recipe for the growth of indie gaming.

You’d need to produce some convincing causal data to convince me indie gaming has had much effect on AAA studios. AAA studios are most hobbled by the fact that gamers are terrible about the prices of titles going up and so they stay artificially low. They also have a culture of mistreating their talent, thus keeping the talent pool young and inexperienced (which looks good to bean counters but probably drives up long term costs because fixing mistakes is costly). All that has to be made up somehow, thus the big bets on GaaS.
  • NBA KirklandNBA Kirkland1,833,918
    Posted on 08 November 21 at 21:22
    Not sure when it happened, but thanks for adding ratio to the table!
    @NBAKirkland
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm590,678
    Posted on 15 November 21 at 17:01
    The Castle of no Escape Walkthrough has been updated to reflect the updated unlock conditions for the achievements. Because it requires at least 3 complete playthroughs including beating the boss--one for each of the 3 characters shown on the opening screen--the game takes longer. Previously, an achievement popped when you selected a character. The current version of the game unlocks the same achievement only when the boss is beaten.

Nevertheless, the game is still a quick completion. Using the walkthrough, the game should take about 2 hours. That's not bad for a 4000 GS/4600 TA score game. Play times will vary because the randomness of the castles is luck dependent. However, the WT provides a methodology to shift the odds in the players favor and deal with the RNG aspect of the game.
  • LEGENDXKILLALEGENDXKILLA1,658,678
    Posted on 18 November 22 at 12:21
    Boots Orion said:
    gothmoges said:
    vegansound said:

Also, if you look at the people who complain about these things it is usually TA's "Alphas". We've been around a long time and romanticize what the achievement meta-game used to be.

Even if those memories are somewhat rose-tinted, it doesn't change the fact that this meta-game isn't what it used to be. None of the stats really mean anything anymore.
    The good old days back in 2009 where a ratio had relevance. I remember when a game with a ratio of 2 was considered tough. And those games with 3 and above were rare. I miss the early years laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.