Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Halo Infinite review

• Posted on 06 December 21 at 08:58
    After multiple delays, Halo Infinite finally drops later this week as the last big Xbox release of 2021. We've been blasting our way through an early review build of the game — here's what we thought.

Please click here to read the full story: Halo Infinite review
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:09
    After Halo 5 I knew this had to be a masterpiece for halo to survive. As I’m sitting here seeing 8s, 9s, and 10s across the board, I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m crying happy tears and my heart is overjoyed and relieved. Halo 5 broke my heart, but I had faith in 343. They did it. My childhood hero, Master Chief, is back.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:14
    Is this game about Beyonce
  • CloudmountCloudmount659,705
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:45
    Currently, 87 on Metacritic and 86 on Opencritic. General feeling is that they effectively went back to its sandbox roots while combining it with some modern open world sensibilities. 343 didn't go overboard in adopting them, blending them very well which opens opportunities for many Halo moments. The main thing that is holding it back is an okay story that is trying to do too much by having to make up for the faults of Halo 5, preparing for the future of Halo, and serving as a kind of soft reboot for new players. As well, the lack of differing biomes can make the environments feel repetitive. All in all, seems that gameplay is the star.
  • Woshi YogiWoshi Yogi392,368
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:46
    AbyssArtorias85 said:
    Is this game about Beyonce
    No, it's made by Beyonce about Sasha Fierce
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus369,634
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:48, Edited on 06 December 21 at 09:52 by Postmortimus
    Meh, open world feels too restrictive for a Halo game. I'll play this and like it like I have every Halo campaign (and 5 was fine, fuck the collective screams) but I've aways prefer the more mission based structure of the franchise. Not every triple A game needs to evolve to sandbox.

I'm just happy that the multiplayer still feels like a Halo game: Never hear anyone behind you, grenades are basically a fart and everybody jumps around despite it not really helping (although switching between the swivel wiggle and the dummy jumps can throw people off). These are things that I actually love about Halo. Plus the campaigns.

I feel the score is fitting.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:50
    And here I am, just going back to literally every other halo because every other aspect of the game outside of campaign feels dreadfully bare.
  • Sensei NeoSensei Neo1,431,451
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 09:57
    Anthony Q Davis said:
    After Halo 5 I knew this had to be a masterpiece for halo to survive. As I’m sitting here seeing 8s, 9s, and 10s across the board, I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m crying happy tears and my heart is overjoyed and relieved. Halo 5 broke my heart, but I had faith in 343. They did it. My childhood hero, Master Chief, is back.
    Bit dramatic
  • WAZ91WAZ91447,165
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:15
    You can't replay the missions? What the hell is going on here 🤷.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:18
    GOTY, can't wait to vote for it.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:20
    343 ruined Halo
  • ZonkyZonky297,095
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:30
    Not being able to replay specific missions is strange given many open world games allow you to do so.
  • Thief000Thief000977,519
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:31, Edited on 06 December 21 at 10:32 by Thief000
    I think an 8/10 is fair from what I'm seeing so far. There are clearly a lot of technical compromises (cross-gen) and the open world gameplay won't meet every Halo fan's taste. Look forward to playing it some time in the near future and I hope they don't mess up co-op.
  • Dread ReaverDread Reaver466,198
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:37
    WAZ91 said:
    You can't replay the missions? What the hell is going on here 🤷.
    My stomach is churning at this...
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:42
    Sensei Neo said:
    Anthony Q Davis said:
    Bit dramatic
    Just a passionate Halo fan bree.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead649,129
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 10:59
    Only an 8.

I feel if this game didn’t have Halo in the title it would get a higher score.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • ReynoldsMReynoldsM774,850
    Posted on 06 December 21 at 11:26
    Not thrilled at the unrepeatable story missions to be honest...seems like yet another odd design choice. Still not sold overall despite the reviews all being good, but we will see I suppose.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 11:59
    Sensei Neo said:
    Anthony Q Davis said:
    Bit dramatic
    Not dramatic, just someone who genuinely cares about this universe and games as a whole. When I see what’s happening to games like Call of Duty and Battlefield this year, it genuinely makes me sad. Do you not think the entire 343 studio is not feeling the same emotions after halo 5 and mcc launch? Games are all I have. This community is my family. I care what choices they make and how it affects them and what the future looks like. You may call it dramatic, but I was that young kid who wanted to be master chief when I grew up. This series means a lot to me and many others. I wish you could see games through my eyes and understand they aren’t just entertainment but all some of us have. It’s our escape. Our way to be okay when everything else falls apart. Hope this helps you understand. If not, I hope you find this much happiness out of these games one day because it really does make a difference.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 12:01
    British Legends said:
    Sensei Neo said:
    Anthony Q Davis said:
    Bit dramatic
    Just a passionate Halo fan bree.
    Thanks but he’s fine. I replied to him directly. Hope that helps him understand a bit.
  • Posted on 06 December 21 at 12:20
    2021, nearly 2022...you put still a lot of collectibles, hidden secrets, challenges in your game, which is still ok and then you made the decision you can't replay the story missions...WTF how stupid can you be as a developer? should be patched asap....
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.