The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Xbox Sales: TA Team Picks (February 24th)

• DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs405,014
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 21:03
    This week's Xbox sales are offering up plenty of goodies for eagle-eyed bargain hunters, so the TA news team has once again embarked on a quest to uncover the secrets of the discounted games — and share their riches with you...

Please click here to read the full story: Xbox Sales: TA Team Picks (February 24th)
  • WNelGamingWNelGaming671,043
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 21:20
    Afterparty, what a cracking choice clap
  • il Raddil Radd611,537
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 21:20
    Afterparty is a very fun game.
    il Radd "then all at once the chaos ceased"
  • The Wet ChefThe Wet Chef476,838
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 21:22
    Afterparty is one helluva game.

Also Alba: A Wildlife Adventure looks really interesting.
    There is NO stupid questions. Only stupid answers!
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,463,185
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 21:34
    A Hat in Time is adorable as hekk and highly recommended to anyone who likes platformers.
    Iconoclasts is a great metroidvania. One of my favorite games I played last year.
    Tricky Tower is a great tetris like game with physics and gravity and your tower will actually sway in the wind and fall over if you don't build it right.
    If you want something completely different Sunless Skies is interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUia5quPnBk
  • Jamiereloaded23Jamiereloaded232,372,742
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 22:20
    Afterparty was just ok for me, I never enjoy playing games through multiple times just to mop up the achievements. It is a well written game though and well worth a look. Love A Plague Tale: Innocence too. Feels like the sales have been pretty on point for me recently, most weeks I have 7-8 games on my wish list that appear, which is both a blessing and a curse.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm613,346
    Posted on 24 February 22 at 23:45
    And the winner is:

Drumroll:

It pains me to say this, but none of the above. Under other circumstances, I’d say how could you go wrong with A Plague Tale: Innocence, a phenomenal game discounted 75%? But, BioShock Remastered is on the list.

The only reason you’d pass it up is if you’d gotten the entire BioShock: The Collection that just went off sale for the same low price as the single game. Moreover, A Plague Tale is in GP. Those who don’t have a subscription should be able to get a deal for 1 USD or equivalent making Bioshock the more economically advantageous option.

Still, I guess @KesStephenson deserves an honorable mention. And I’m sure we’re all eagerly anticipating A Plague Tale: Requiem.
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,463,185
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 00:16
    Allgorhythm said:
    I think it’s really awesome that you always speak so positively about games. It’s cool to see people passionate about things and I’ll always encourage people to spread that passion.

I also think it would be cool if you phrased it in a way that didn’t make it sound like you’re saying the TA staff’s recommendations are wrong. This is two weeks in a row where I noticed you phrased this as “sadly, none of the games they recommended are as good as the real winner. It pains me to say this, but my choice is better.” You could try just stating that you really like BioShock and not saying that the staff got it wrong. The way you’re phrasing it comes off very rude, and I know that’s not your intention.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUia5quPnBk
  • Karachi KingKarachi King1,898,724
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 00:28
    Alba looks really interesting, but I have many other things to play, I'll probably wait for a bigger discount.
    A Plague Tale was much more enjoyable than I expected going into it. I highly recommend it.
  • Posted on 25 February 22 at 00:57
    I enjoyed OXENFREE, but Afterparty just missed the mark for me for some reason.
  • fatDaddy21fatDaddy21517,198
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 01:53
    Aside from A Plague Tale, another list of stinkers. How's Baldur's Gate play?
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm613,346
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 03:08
    PlayUltimate711 said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    I think it’s really awesome that you always speak so positively about games. It’s cool to see people passionate about things and I’ll always encourage people to spread that passion.

I also think it would be cool if you phrased it in a way that didn’t make it sound like you’re saying the TA staff’s recommendations are wrong. This is two weeks in a row where I noticed you phrased this as “sadly, none of the games they recommended are as good as the real winner. It pains me to say this, but my choice is better.” You could try just stating that you really like BioShock and not saying that the staff got it wrong. The way you’re phrasing it comes off very rude, and I know that’s not your intention.
    Sorry. It's intended to be humorous rather than rude. Of course, personal preference is unique.

But behind the tongue in cheek is some seriousness. Personally, I prefer A Plague Tale. I'm a stealth aficionado and, although Bioshock also has great stealth play, it's not as intrinsic as it is in APT. Also, I'm a linguist and use video games as a fabulous resource for language materials. I enjoyed APT's original French voice track & it reminded me how much my proficiency has declined. But, if you look at the body of user and critical commentary on Bioshock, a GOTY, you would have to conclude that the game has greater stature.

Nevertheless, my main goal was humor. I didn't go into any detailed analysis. And, I post in every TA Picks article along the same lines. Usually, I award a winner even though there may be a case for other games being of greater stature. Rarely, is the 'winner's' choice my personal favorite. It's just a fun game to spice things up.

In short, these posts are a kind of game--since we are all gamers. Also, if you paid attention to the closing comment, you may have noticed a subtle message:
    Still, I guess @KesStephenson deserves an honorable mention. And I’m sure we’re all eagerly anticipating A Plague Tale: Requiem.
    My plug for APT's sequel indicated I was in synch with the choice of @KesStephenson and felt that was the sentimental favorite. smile
  • Mike MarcelaisMike Marcelais1,094,131
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 03:38
    Flipy Fliperson said:
    That was my experience exactly. Maybe my expectations were just too high after OXENFREE but Afterparty just didn't impress me. Not bad, just... "meh".
  • BawhawhawBawhawhaw1,682,575
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 07:31
    Nexomon would be my pick. Great little pokemon clone. Found it played better than some of the newer pokemon games as it captures a feel more akin to the originals.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,990,522
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 08:22, Edited on 25 February 22 at 08:24 by EarthboundX
    Mike Marcelais said:
    Flipy Fliperson said:
    That was my experience exactly. Maybe my expectations were just too high after OXENFREE but Afterparty just didn't impress me. Not bad, just... "meh".
    Ditto for me as well, enjoyed Oxenfree, than Afterparty kind of felt like a dud after. Not sure why either, none of the writing or voice acting was bad, and that's pretty much all Afterparty had as it's more or less a "walking sim".
  • vegansoundvegansound1,060,436
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 11:07
    Isn't it supposed to be a yellow framed news? As it consists of a TA thought/review, and nothing official.
  • SuperAwesomezSuperAwesomez1,110,688
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 11:39
    Wytchwood!! It’s so fun so far just being a witch gathering ingredients for spells and catching fairies.
    Flagging Manager. Ask me about flags!
  • uberJamesuberJames468,284
    Posted on 25 February 22 at 12:02, Edited on 25 February 22 at 12:05 by uberJames
    Flipy Fliperson said:
    If you liked Oxenfree have you played Night In The Woods? I think you'd enjoy it.
  • Posted on 25 February 22 at 16:52
    uberJames said:
    Flipy Fliperson said:
    If you liked Oxenfree have you played Night In The Woods? I think you'd enjoy it.
    Didn't get the chance to play that one while it was on GP. Hopefully, it'll get added again in the future.
  • Posted on 25 February 22 at 16:55
    EarthboundX said:
    Mike Marcelais said:
    Flipy Fliperson said:
    Ditto for me as well, enjoyed Oxenfree, than Afterparty kind of felt like a dud after. Not sure why either, none of the writing or voice acting was bad, and that's pretty much all Afterparty had as it's more or less a "walking sim".
    I think it was the suspense and mystery in Oxenfree that I enjoyed and kept me hooked.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.