Guides

A forum for game tips, tricks, and guide news articles.

Elden Ring: Best summon, where to find it, and why it's so powerful

  • Posted on 04 March 22 at 20:34
    Elden Ring has a host of Spirit Ashes to discover, allowing you to summon an AI ally to fight by your side. Some are great, others not so good, but one is just ridiculously strong. Spoilers ahead... you have been warned!

    Please click here to read the full story: Elden Ring: Best summon, where to find it, and why it's so powerful
  • BloodGodAlucardBloodGodAlucard1,909,622
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 21:04
    Hmm seems familiar. clap
  • DirtyI30DirtyI301,137,921
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 21:10
    Incoming nerf?
    Been separating the artist from art since Michael Jackson.
  • Posted on 04 March 22 at 21:28
    only bad thing I'd say is that it takes half your health to use, so if you use it at a boss that rushes you right out of the gate, you better get lucky. Most of the time you're ok, but there's been a time or two where I couldn't get a heal off because the boss rushed me as soon as I entered.
  • MGaskellMGaskell687,619
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 21:30
    Can’t wait for this game to go on sale so I can buy it. Won’t be for a while tho. facepalm
  • Sneaky G WizardSneaky G Wizard1,335,630
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 22:55
    It's meh

    Marionette Soldier Ashes are by far the most useful once upgraded a little. At least for my build and style
    I have to politely disagree, they are all better off neither seen nor heard
  • geordiedeviantgeordiedeviant1,782,558
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 23:17
    Starscourge Radahn is an arse! That is all. laugh
  • geordiedeviantgeordiedeviant1,782,558
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 23:21
    Jellyfish gang rise up!! rock
  • Posted on 04 March 22 at 23:25
    Sneaky G Wizard said:
    It's meh

    Marionette Soldier Ashes are by far the most useful once upgraded a little. At least for my build and style
    Yeah, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution without a lot of extra menuing, but it's crazy strong when your build supports it. What are you running that makes it feel weaker, out of interest?

    geordiedeviant said:
    Jellyfish gang rise up!! rock
    Haha yeah, jellyfish put in work for me early in the game. Poison damage isn't much but it's a nice bonus, plus it's the tankiest summon you get for a long time.
  • Sneaky G WizardSneaky G Wizard1,335,630
    Posted on 04 March 22 at 23:52, Edited on 04 March 22 at 23:53 by Sneaky G Wizard
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Sneaky G Wizard said:
    It's meh

    Marionette Soldier Ashes are by far the most useful once upgraded a little. At least for my build and style
    Yeah, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution without a lot of extra menuing, but it's crazy strong when your build supports it. What are you running that makes it feel weaker, out of interest?

    geordiedeviant said:
    Jellyfish gang rise up!! rock
    Haha yeah, jellyfish put in work for me early in the game. Poison damage isn't much but it's a nice bonus, plus it's the tankiest summon you get for a long time.
    It's more of a stragey issue I have with it

    The Marionette Soldiers absolutely hail arrows, they really aren't shy. So if you can summon them one place, then aggro the boss from another angle - they quickly find themselves between a rock and a hard place. I maintain a decent amount of damage on the boss (they seem aggro'd by pure numbers it seems) but I have a 100% block, stamina build so I can tank almost anything, all the while they are getting arrows raining into their back

    I've put down almost all the decent bosses with this, hard to recommend another Ash in my opinion, even the renowned ones
    I have to politely disagree, they are all better off neither seen nor heard
  • Posted on 04 March 22 at 23:56, Edited on 04 March 22 at 23:56 by BadRubberPiggy
    Sneaky G Wizard said:
    It's more of a stragey issue I have with it

    The Marionette Soldiers absolutely hail arrows, they really aren't shy. So if you can summon them one place, then aggro the boss from another angle - they quickly find themselves between a rock and a hard place. I maintain a decent amount of damage on the boss (they seem aggro'd by pure numbers it seems) but I have a 100% block, stamina build so I can tank almost enything, all the while they are getting arrows raining into the back

    I've put down almost all the decent bosses with this, hard to recommend another Ash in my opinion, even the renowned ones
    Fair play, that does sound solid. I've only tried a handful of the special ones (don't have the FP for most) but didn't see anything special. Mimic, though, I used once at base level, and it was +10 within minutes. Running a pure STR build with greataxe, and the stunlocks are real.
  • Sneaky G WizardSneaky G Wizard1,335,630
    Posted on 05 March 22 at 02:04
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Sneaky G Wizard said:
    It's more of a stragey issue I have with it

    The Marionette Soldiers absolutely hail arrows, they really aren't shy. So if you can summon them one place, then aggro the boss from another angle - they quickly find themselves between a rock and a hard place. I maintain a decent amount of damage on the boss (they seem aggro'd by pure numbers it seems) but I have a 100% block, stamina build so I can tank almost enything, all the while they are getting arrows raining into the back

    I've put down almost all the decent bosses with this, hard to recommend another Ash in my opinion, even the renowned ones
    Fair play, that does sound solid. I've only tried a handful of the special ones (don't have the FP for most) but didn't see anything special. Mimic, though, I used once at base level, and it was +10 within minutes. Running a pure STR build with greataxe, and the stunlocks are real.
    How does a pure STR build fair against invaders (other players)? Although, on that subject, I've clocked 60hrs and the only multiplayer I have seen was one summon signal at the Village of the Albinaurics...
    I have to politely disagree, they are all better off neither seen nor heard
  • Posted on 05 March 22 at 02:21, Edited on 05 March 22 at 02:22 by BadRubberPiggy
    Sneaky G Wizard said:
    How does a pure STR build fair against invaders (other players)? Although, on that subject, I've clocked 60hrs and the only multiplayer I have seen was one summon signal at the Village of the Albinaurics...
    Yeah, in almost 100 hours, I only had one actual invader, and they were quickly turned into jam. When your attacks are naturally slower due to your big heavy weapons, it’s quite easy to sneak in a hit between the usual quick panic roll sequence you tend to see after a punish. Helps that the only other stats that matter are VIG and END so you should have better survivability than the opponent, although I certainly feel squishier in tank gear here than, say, in full Havel set in DS.
  • geordiedeviantgeordiedeviant1,782,558
    Posted on 05 March 22 at 02:31
    Pretty sure matchmaking calibrations were running a version behind on xbox (which basically meant it was borked) and behind the other platforms. I recall reading some ranting on Twitter.

    I didn't look into it more after that as I play offline (in game offline) as I can't be arsed dealing with invaders after DS3. Even if that means I don't have the option of getting a carry from some jolly co-op.
  • Sneaky G WizardSneaky G Wizard1,335,630
    Posted on 05 March 22 at 03:37
    geordiedeviant said:
    Pretty sure matchmaking calibrations were running a version behind on xbox (which basically meant it was borked) and behind the other platforms. I recall reading some ranting on Twitter.

    I didn't look into it more after that as I play offline (in game offline) as I can't be arsed dealing with invaders after DS3. Even if that means I don't have the option of getting a carry from some jolly co-op.
    Yeah, it was a version behind from launch, took me two days to get the updated version

    I wouldn't let fear of invasion stop you from playing online, this is nothing like DS3 and i'm sure everyone here will agree with me
    I have to politely disagree, they are all better off neither seen nor heard
  • Posted on 05 March 22 at 05:02
    MGaskell said:
    Can’t wait for this game to go on sale so I can buy it. Won’t be for a while tho. facepalm
    Or you could just buy it? As a non SF this game is worth it.
  • Sneaky G WizardSneaky G Wizard1,335,630
    Posted on 05 March 22 at 05:18
    SansetMi said:
    MGaskell said:
    Can’t wait for this game to go on sale so I can buy it. Won’t be for a while tho. facepalm
    Or you could just buy it? As a non SF this game is worth it.
    Well, without knowing their financial situation, you shouldn't really make comments like that...

    It is worth it if you can make it work somehow though
    I have to politely disagree, they are all better off neither seen nor heard
  • Posted on 05 March 22 at 06:47
    Sneaky G Wizard said:
    SansetMi said:
    MGaskell said:
    Can’t wait for this game to go on sale so I can buy it. Won’t be for a while tho. facepalm
    Or you could just buy it? As a non SF this game is worth it.
    Well, without knowing their financial situation, you shouldn't really make comments like that...

    It is worth it if you can make it work somehow though
    True and true
  • Mask of HateMask of Hate644,159
    Posted on 05 March 22 at 07:07
    geordiedeviant said:
    Pretty sure matchmaking calibrations were running a version behind on xbox (which basically meant it was borked) and behind the other platforms. I recall reading some ranting on Twitter.

    I didn't look into it more after that as I play offline (in game offline) as I can't be arsed dealing with invaders after DS3. Even if that means I don't have the option of getting a carry from some jolly co-op.
    Invasions aren't much of a problem in this game.

    Invaders will generally only invade you after you've already summoned a co-op helper, with the way the invasion items are set up.

    It takes a somewhat rare, expensive consumable to invade a solo player; the freely usable invasion item forces them into worlds with at least 2 players. Plus there's a cheap item (1000 runes) that lets you passively have a status which will automatically summon willing helpers as soon as an invasion happens.

    The pros definitely outweigh the cons.
  • xx9909xx990940,252
    Posted on 05 March 22 at 21:03
    MGaskell said:
    Can’t wait for this game to go on sale so I can buy it. Won’t be for a while tho. facepalm
    Aw mate, I think you'll be waiting a long time. It's a great game, it'll be worth the wait.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.