The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Xbox Sales: TA Team Picks (April 28th)

• DeathHuntsUsDeathHuntsUs407,927
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 18:48
    Xbox sales this week have offered up a selection of titles that stretch across multiple genres. The TA news team has gone into bargain-hunting mode and found the titles they think are worthy of your library.

Please click here to read the full story: Xbox Sales: TA Team Picks (April 28th)
  • VOODOO85VOODOO85710,788
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 18:53
    Worth noting that AC Origins is coming to Gamepass. Of course not everyone has GP so a good recommendation regardless but worth noting nonetheless
  • KJer25KJer25947,314
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 18:55
    Fun article. I haven’t played any of these 4 yet but AC, Katamari and SC are for sure in my future. Beautiful Katamari was so great, I’m thrilled Reroll made it to One.
    Separation from base 1000 and DLC lists would be great. I’d love to see them bring back avatar awards, and make some sort of level up process.
  • Posted on 28 April 22 at 19:13
    Picked up Sid Meier's Pirates, haven't played it in years, definitely a great game to go back
  • MrZombieChickenMrZombieChicken1,288,359
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 20:12
    Event though AC Origin is coming to Gamepass, I am thinking of grabbing it for the DLC. We'll most likely only get the main game in GP.
    This space for rent.
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285736,299
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 20:19
    How long did it take to get through Pirates? I’ve always thought of grabbing it but if it’s a long game I’ve got plenty else to play that’ll give me the satisfying pop of achievements
  • DaMikeSCDaMikeSC1,969,308
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 20:41
    Katmari Reroll is legit. Love that game.

I enjoyed Pirates in the past...but with no achievements, sadly, have a hard time ginning up the enthusiasm.
  • TREX1979TREX1979663,624
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 20:45
    DaMikeSC said:
    Katmari Reroll is legit. Love that game.

I enjoyed Pirates in the past...but with no achievements, sadly, have a hard time ginning up the enthusiasm.
    Funny how playing games changed so much from my 1st nintendo days with no achievements LOL now I all wanna hear is that pop and am grinding out achievements like Bioshock 2 turret boosting LOL
  • Posted on 28 April 22 at 20:59
    EazyE2285 said:
    How long did it take to get through Pirates? I’ve always thought of grabbing it but if it’s a long game I’ve got plenty else to play that’ll give me the satisfying pop of achievements
    Maybe like 8-10 hours to blast through a ‘quick’ run? It’s the kind of game that you can easily just pick up for an hour or two here and there if you want, too… easy enough to pick up and play and no real story to lose track of by not playing for a while.
  • Posted on 28 April 22 at 21:28
    You see that door there? The one marked pirate? Think a pirate lives in there?
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,473,522
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 22:20
    Bonkies is a great crazy coop game like overcooked!
    The specific gameplay is very different from cooking dishes, but it’s a similar game in the sense that it requires genuine cooperation and teamwork.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUia5quPnBk
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm614,989
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 22:26
    And the winner is …

Drumroll …

This is a tough one because all the picks are spot on. However, the tie breaker goes to @Canezza for picking a game that dovetails with TA’s May targets: Katamari Damacy Reroll
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285736,299
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 23:32
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    Maybe like 8-10 hours to blast through a ‘quick’ run? It’s the kind of game that you can easily just pick up for an hour or two here and there if you want, too… easy enough to pick up and play and no real story to lose track of by not playing for a while.
    Sold me. Gonna snag that and the two easy cheap completions when I wake up tomorrow nursing the birthday hangover 🤣
  • MonheganMonhegan238,000
    Posted on 28 April 22 at 23:59
    Never played an AC game - is ok to just jump into the series with AC: Origins?
  • TangledAlloy21TangledAlloy211,073,564
    Posted on 29 April 22 at 01:07
    Monhegan said:
    It would be ideal to know the lore and story of the past games. However, it shouldn't make Origins any less fun. I'd personally say go for it.
  • MonheganMonhegan238,000
    Posted on 29 April 22 at 02:32
    TangledAlloy21 said:
    Monhegan said:
    It would be ideal to know the lore and story of the past games. However, it shouldn't make Origins any less fun. I'd personally say go for it.
    the answer i wanted to hear. thank you! think i'll give it a try...
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong499,331
    Posted on 29 April 22 at 03:50, Edited on 29 April 22 at 03:51 by TymanTheLong
    AC Origins has a spectacular setting, but along with the sub par story is sub par combat. The Assassins Creed with the best combat is by far Odyssey.

I did play Odyssey first and so playing Origins second I could see the roots of many of the things that made Odyssey combat so compelling, but overall it felt disappointing. The gear doesn’t mean much, the minute you get a instant charging axe (there’s one in the DLC) or maybe sword, you’ll just use that. Your shield is kind of crap, it can timed parry and stagger but blocking anything but ranged attacks with it is usually a horrible strategy. The multiple bow type mechanic is so horrible I was honestly flabbergasted when they brought it back in Valhalla.

Overall I can agree Origins’ setting is worth playing in, but the combat isn’t good, I’d even struggle to say the stealth was that good compared to Shadow of Mordor or Shadow of War (to say nothing of the stealth in Odyssey, since you’re using Isu artifacts directly you can do some relatively amazing stuff).
  • TwistedTBTwistedTB1,320,317
    Posted on 29 April 22 at 08:00, Edited on 29 April 22 at 08:01 by TwistedTB
    Is Pirates playable on One/Series, or is it 360 only? I was looking at that but the fact that it didn't seem to be BC held me back from picking it up. That and I recall getting irritated at all the dancing with the governor's daughter sections back in the day, lol. If it isn't BC then Microsoft really needs to get back on the program and start bringing some more of these stragglers on board with current gen.
    https://www.twitch.tv/twistedtb
  • Posted on 29 April 22 at 12:08
    Monhegan said:
    Yeah, I think you would be just fine!
  • uberJamesuberJames471,920
    Posted on 29 April 22 at 12:19, Edited on 29 April 22 at 12:34 by uberJames
    I strongly disagree with Katamari Damacy Reroll. I found it incredibly boring, repetitious, and tedious. There is no variety to the gameplay, and it's rarely ever satisfying since the time limit on every level prevents you from getting massive and picking everything up (excluding the final level).

If you want to play something similar, try Donut County. It's the same concept, except instead of rolling items up to get bigger, you move a hole in the ground to make items fall into it, making the hole bigger so you can capture larger objects.

Donut County exceeds where Katamari fails because it has puzzle elements, boss battles, an actual narrative, and every level is satisfying to play because you're always allowed to make the hole so big you can suck absolutely everything into it.

Plus, Donut County is also on Game Pass. And if you want to get all the achievements, you'll have more fun and an easier time completing Donut County in just a few hours.

Completing Katamari Damacy Reroll will require more than 10 times as long, plus a spreadsheet.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.