The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Xbox sale round-up May 17th, 2022

  • Posted on 17 May 22 at 14:58
    Glad to see Space Moth on sales.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm646,900
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 14:59
    Tendoman77 said:
    Even with a new weekly sale on the day of my birthday its still mostly the same ol' crap lol
    You shouldn't have to buy games on your birthday. People should be gifting you the games you want.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 15:45
    vegansound said:
    FireDrake007 said:
    vegansound said:
    Drew#9266 said:
    Think that's the first time I've seen DOA1 and DOA2 on sale. Wish they were a little cheaper though
    DoA2 was released in 2004, 18 years ago, but it has a -20% discount only. Microsoft is a shame.......
    It is the publishers or rights holders which decide the scale of discounts provided not MS.
    I know, but who's the boss? Who should have the last word? The boss, Microsoft. MS should listen to all the comments here and there of people saying they're fed up with all those same deals each week. And if MS wants their customers to be happy, and have a better image in the industry, they must control more what's for sale. We're fed up with the same old ones. Publishers abuse with proposing same titles, but MS doesn't do anything to make it better. So the fault is for the boss.
    That is a very strange viewpoint you have, and simply isn’t how retail works.

    If Microsoft sell a game from their store for a discount they still have to pay the full amount to the publisher. Why would Microsoft want to lose money each week in the sales?
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 16:01
    DrDaveWatford said:
    vegansound said:
    DrDaveWatford said:
    According to comments posted by one small publisher, MS decides which publishers will be offered sales slots and its then up to the publisher to decide whether to participate in the sale or not. Some of the big guys are offered slots every week, while smaller publishers may only be offered sales slots once every 6 months or more.
    Thanks for the informations add, Dr. That means even more that it'd be Microsoft's responsibility to choose who does and doesn't propose their games. *sigh*
    Correct.

    The example I'm quoting is Train Sim World 2 by Dovetail Games. DLC for this game is quite expensive, and sales are therefore eagerly awaited by the fanbase. TSW2 DLC is frequently discounted on PC and Playstation, but it's almost never discounted on XBOX leading to an avalanche of complaints from XBOX users. In response, Dovetail games staff have posted many times on the forums explaining that TSW2 DLC can only go on sale when MS offers Dovetail games DLC sales slots. This happens very rarely (the last time was July 2021 I believe). Dovetail games say they would like to offer us DLC sales like they do PC and Playstation but they are not able to do so as MS do not invite them to do so. MS have however invited Dovetail games to offer a discount on the base game a couple of times since last year, but not the DLC.

    TL:DR - MS calls the shots on who is invited to participate in the weekly Deals with Gold sales.
    Whilst that is true for DwG, that isn’t true for other sales and price drops.

    For DwG Microsoft are giving you a discount because you pay Microsoft $5 per month. They will decide which content they want to provide that subscriber discount on. That way if they are running a Shocktober themed sale they will not be adding a discount to non-spooky games that week.

    But if you think Microsoft have the final say over all store prices you are mistaken. Imagine if Microsoft forced all games to remain at $60, even 18 years after release, except their own games which they reduced to $15. Which games do you think people will buy?

    If Dovetail games want to reduce the price of their DLC on Xbox there is nothing stopping them. But the reduced price of the DLC will not be promoted by Microsoft. I have seen this happen with other games. The discount is announced on the publishers web site but does not appear on Major Nelson’s list (Microsoft US Xbox sales blog) and does not get a tile on the Xbox 360 or Xbox One dashboard.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 17 May 22 at 16:06
    Hanx said:
    ijiekmotors said:
    Sonic games didn't go on sale. Sigh.
    Looks like we'll have to pay full price before they get delisted on Friday. 😕
    Are the Sonic 4 episodes a part of the delistings?
    Youtube.com/BreninWatson
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 16:09, Edited on 17 May 22 at 16:44 by HolyHalfDead
    Allgorhythm said:
    Picked up A Knight's Quest
    Discounted 95%: A 24.99 USD game for 1.24 USD. smile
    I’m hate to tell you, but it was a GwG 16 April - 15 May 2022. Of course you get to keep your copy :)

    List Of Free Content (Games, Apparel, Themes)
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 16:18, Edited on 17 May 22 at 16:32 by HolyHalfDead
    FireDrake007 said:
    vegansound said:
    Drew#9266 said:
    Think that's the first time I've seen DOA1 and DOA2 on sale. Wish they were a little cheaper though
    DoA2 was released in 2004, 18 years ago, but it has a -20% discount only. Microsoft is a shame.......
    It is the publishers or rights holders which decide the scale of discounts provided not MS.
    Microsoft take a 30% cut I believe, so in order to increase the number of games in this sale they could have reduced their cut to 10%.

    Stores pay for stock, but they can chose to sell that stock for what they paid for it (no profit) or less than they paid for it (a loss). It’s a bit different for physical stores as they may want to sell their stock for a loss to make room for new stock.

    Manufacturers control the price of the stock, not the stores. For example if Coke want to beat Pepsi, they can reduce the price. To ensure stores pass this deal on, they will print the price on the can/bottle.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 16:20, Edited on 17 May 22 at 16:21 by HolyHalfDead
    SoulKatana said:
    LOL, i just was about to purchase DOA4 and saw the discount on DOA1, DOA2 and DOA3 and bought these instead, even if i still own the originals on SEGA Saturn and XBOX! laugh
    Looks like they forgot DOA4. Next time, i guess...
    Just so others know, DOA4 is on sale in the US this week:
    link hidden
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 16:26, Edited on 17 May 22 at 16:34 by HolyHalfDead
    ASJU4 said:
    hell yeah, 've been wanting to play USF4 for a while now.
    A great chance to get the DLC for anyone who picked up SSF4AE when it was GwG in June 2014 (one of the rare times DLC was included with GwG).
    Ultra Street Fighter IV for Super Street Fighter IV
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 17 May 22 at 18:24
    HolyHalfDead said:
    DrDaveWatford said:
    vegansound said:
    DrDaveWatford said:
    According to comments posted by one small publisher, MS decides which publishers will be offered sales slots and its then up to the publisher to decide whether to participate in the sale or not. Some of the big guys are offered slots every week, while smaller publishers may only be offered sales slots once every 6 months or more.
    Thanks for the informations add, Dr. That means even more that it'd be Microsoft's responsibility to choose who does and doesn't propose their games. *sigh*
    Correct.

    The example I'm quoting is Train Sim World 2 by Dovetail Games. DLC for this game is quite expensive, and sales are therefore eagerly awaited by the fanbase. TSW2 DLC is frequently discounted on PC and Playstation, but it's almost never discounted on XBOX leading to an avalanche of complaints from XBOX users. In response, Dovetail games staff have posted many times on the forums explaining that TSW2 DLC can only go on sale when MS offers Dovetail games DLC sales slots. This happens very rarely (the last time was July 2021 I believe). Dovetail games say they would like to offer us DLC sales like they do PC and Playstation but they are not able to do so as MS do not invite them to do so. MS have however invited Dovetail games to offer a discount on the base game a couple of times since last year, but not the DLC.

    TL:DR - MS calls the shots on who is invited to participate in the weekly Deals with Gold sales.
    If Dovetail games want to reduce the price of their DLC on Xbox there is nothing stopping them.....
    According to Dovetail themselves that's not correct - feel free to check out the comments on this subject posted by Dovetail employees on their forum.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm646,900
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 19:49
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I’m hate to tell you, but it was a GwG 16 April - 15 May 2022. Of course you get to keep your copy :)

    List Of Free Content (Games, Apparel, Themes)
    Story of my life. I’m bad about forgetting to download GwG. When I purchased the game, it seemed familiar. Now, I know why. It popped up in the April GwG announcement but I’d forgotten about it by 15 April. redface
  • atryeu1atryeu1431,123
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 20:23
    Allgorhythm said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I’m hate to tell you, but it was a GwG 16 April - 15 May 2022. Of course you get to keep your copy :)

    List Of Free Content (Games, Apparel, Themes)
    Story of my life. I’m bad about forgetting to download GwG. When I purchased the game, it seemed familiar. Now, I know why. It popped up in the April GwG announcement but I’d forgotten about it by 15 April. redface
    It was so much nicer when somebody from TA posted the 2nd GWG article each month as a reminder for people. I keep having to ask other people what the 2nd free game was each month because I can't remember the names and the 360 console sometimes doesn't update to reflect it so you need to manually search the games -_- It'd be great to have that 2nd article posted again mid month as reminders on these again.

    Haha and funny timing for me writing in this sales thread, I get an email alert as I'm typing here for a sale alert on Steam. Maybe there's something more interesting over there for me on sale that will run on this dumb computer :P
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm646,900
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 21:17
    atryeu1 said:
    It was so much nicer when somebody from TA posted the 2nd GWG article each month as a reminder for people. I keep having to ask other people what the 2nd free game was each month because I can't remember the names and the 360 console sometimes doesn't update to reflect it so you need to manually search the games -_- It'd be great to have that 2nd article posted again mid month as reminders on these again.
    I’d certainly appreciate the reminder—I obviously need it.laugh
  • Flipy FlipersonFlipy Fliperson1,200,373
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 21:41
    Allgorhythm said:
    atryeu1 said:
    It was so much nicer when somebody from TA posted the 2nd GWG article each month as a reminder for people. I keep having to ask other people what the 2nd free game was each month because I can't remember the names and the 360 console sometimes doesn't update to reflect it so you need to manually search the games -_- It'd be great to have that 2nd article posted again mid month as reminders on these again.
    I’d certainly appreciate the reminder—I obviously need it.laugh
    I think this was Japan GWG.
  • vegansoundvegansound1,163,005
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 22:54
    HolyHalfDead said:
    If Microsoft sell a game from their store for a discount they still have to pay the full amount to the publisher. Why would Microsoft want to lose money each week in the sales?
    I understand that entreprises' goal is to make money. But also to produce stuff to please the people. Microsoft earned 18.8 billions dollars just last year. I think in terms of benefits, they got it. Now it's time to make their users happy too. Sometimes we have to lose a bit here to get more there. But they are fully capitalists... On Xmas period, do we have a free item, no matter what it is? No. They don't know how to treat well people. They celebrated Xbox's 20th anniversary? It's thanks to us they are still producing hardwares, but to celebrate that, they proposed us... to buy more exclusive merchandising from them. What a generous brand.

    But if you think Microsoft have the final say over all store prices you are mistaken. Imagine if Microsoft forced all games to remain at $60, even 18 years after release, except their own games which they reduced to $15. Which games do you think people will buy?
    They'd buy retail games, second hand or not, because it's always cheaper than the same titles they propose us 'on sale'. Physical items get cheaper with time, and that's normal. But look on MS's Store, we can see DoA2 at 15€ (full price, released in 2004), Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare at 30€ (released in 2007), or Stranglehold's DLC at 15€ that has NEVER BEEN in sales since its release in 2007. And in local stores or online sites, you'll get it for much cheaper, even brand new (except DLCs).

    MS just think of benefits, not gamers. And that's too bad.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong534,432
    Posted on 17 May 22 at 23:24
    PhantomPlanetAP said:
    Mudrunner with its sole DLC looks good, as well as Unruly Heroes. Any chances of Othercide joining GP? it's been almost the end of 2nd year of it
    I bought Othercide at release for $40 and got my money’s worth. They just released the 3.99 fan requested cosmetic DLC today and the base game is updated with the seed functionality. Othercide was my GOTY the year it was released. For $12 I’d suggest it’s already a steal. I do not think they intend to go with Gamepass, even if they somehow did, it’s a game well worth owning.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm646,900
    Posted on 18 May 22 at 00:17
    Flipy Fliperson said:
    I think this was Japan GWG.
    Since I speak, read, & write Japanese; I have a GamerTag registered to the Japanese region. I, generally, pick up JP GwG on that account.
  • Wick N MortyWick N Morty623,189
    Posted on 18 May 22 at 03:24
    Is there no way to scan the non BC 360 games for this list? I hate having to check here and Major Nelson, TA's list is way more organized
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead755,349
    Posted on 18 May 22 at 05:02, Edited on 18 May 22 at 05:05 by HolyHalfDead
    DrDaveWatford said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    DrDaveWatford said:
    vegansound said:
    DrDaveWatford said:
    According to comments posted by one small publisher, MS decides which publishers will be offered sales slots and its then up to the publisher to decide whether to participate in the sale or not. Some of the big guys are offered slots every week, while smaller publishers may only be offered sales slots once every 6 months or more.
    Thanks for the informations add, Dr. That means even more that it'd be Microsoft's responsibility to choose who does and doesn't propose their games. *sigh*
    Correct.

    The example I'm quoting is Train Sim World 2 by Dovetail Games. DLC for this game is quite expensive, and sales are therefore eagerly awaited by the fanbase. TSW2 DLC is frequently discounted on PC and Playstation, but it's almost never discounted on XBOX leading to an avalanche of complaints from XBOX users. In response, Dovetail games staff have posted many times on the forums explaining that TSW2 DLC can only go on sale when MS offers Dovetail games DLC sales slots. This happens very rarely (the last time was July 2021 I believe). Dovetail games say they would like to offer us DLC sales like they do PC and Playstation but they are not able to do so as MS do not invite them to do so. MS have however invited Dovetail games to offer a discount on the base game a couple of times since last year, but not the DLC.

    TL:DR - MS calls the shots on who is invited to participate in the weekly Deals with Gold sales.
    If Dovetail games want to reduce the price of their DLC on Xbox there is nothing stopping them.....
    According to Dovetail themselves that's not correct - feel free to check out the comments on this subject posted by Dovetail employees on their forum.
    Dovetail should reach out to Team Ninja who frequently put their content on sale with no promotion by Microsoft. They would even made characters available for free on the store for a limited time. I should know, I used to run a sales blog every week for many years, and report on these “secret” sales that Major Nelson never covered.

    Right now the DLC for Stacking is free - but you don’t see that being promoted by Microsoft anywhere. But Microsoft did not prevent them from making it free.

    https://www.xbox.com/games/store/x/BZ13WN04XXRG
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • FireDrake007FireDrake007271,842
    Posted on 18 May 22 at 05:11
    @HolyHalfDead

    Thanks for the Stacking dlc free info which I just claimed. I didn't even know it had a dlc until you mentioned it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads