Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Is MultiVersus going to be secretly amazing?

• Posted on 22 May 22 at 12:16
    A free-to-play fighting game from a brand new studio might not have the hallmarks of greatness about it, but MultiVersus' creative twist on a beloved formula and bottomless roster potential might just set it up for success.

Please click here to read the full story: Is MultiVersus going to be secretly amazing?
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 12:33
    Same was said with Nickelodeon All Star Brawl, hype surrounding the launch was drummed up then fell flat after a month. You could say the F2P model might swing in it's favour over the retail release of Nick Brawl but shall see how it goes and then decide if I want to try it free or not. Also the "free" rewards versus "paid premium" rewards might turn a lot of players off if they choose to stick with game that don't have money to throw at the game, just my opinion
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX2,001,044
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 12:54
    FeArSoMeFoXpUp said:
    Same was said with Nickelodeon All Star Brawl, hype surrounding the launch was drummed up then fell flat after a month. You could say the F2P model might swing in it's favour over the retail release of Nick Brawl but shall see how it goes and then decide if I want to try it free or not. Also the "free" rewards versus "paid premium" rewards might turn a lot of players off if they choose to stick with game that don't have money to throw at the game, just my opinion
    Thought the same thing, saw quite a lot of hype for Nickelodeon All Star Brawl for months before it launched, then heard it was meh and nothing else after.
  • SuperPed13SuperPed13787,663
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 13:31
    Super Smash Bros is an amazing amazing game which is as deep and accessible as you want it to be and rewards all players of different skills, abilities, time etc.... This is not smash bros
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 13:42
    SuperPed13 said:
    Super Smash Bros is an amazing amazing game which is as deep and accessible as you want it to be and rewards all players of different skills, abilities, time etc.... This is not smash bros
    I guess that's good in a way. Gamers always say they don't want copy & paste games, so this might have enough going for it to not be just a clone/copy & paste Smash Bros. Which is difficult because that game is the bar of comparison.
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 14:47, Edited on 22 May 22 at 14:53 by Snooch2theBooch
    So if I’m reading this right, you have full access to the complete roster without spending any money, aside from the unlocks which sound like they can be earned by just playing, with the monetization being more in the form of battle passes and cosmetics than in getting characters?

If that’s the case, well I was already interested in this game before, now sign me tf up.

FeArSoMeFoXpUp said:
    Also the "free" rewards versus "paid premium" rewards might turn a lot of players off if they choose to stick with game that don't have money to throw at the game, just my opinion
    To be fair, that doesn’t sound much different than Fortnite, Call of Duty, etc. which has no problem retaining players and attracting newcomers.
  • A Dank SlothA Dank Sloth484,229
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 15:03
    Idk but Ultra Instinct Shaggy made the cut so that’s all I care about
    -Aaron
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 15:21
    Snooch2theBooch said:
    So if I’m reading this right, you have full access to the complete roster without spending any money, aside from the unlocks which sound like they can be earned by just playing, with the monetization being more in the form of battle passes and cosmetics than in getting characters?

If that’s the case, well I was already interested in this game before, now sign me tf up.
    Yeah, that’s how it seems from the alpha. All gameplay stuff (characters and extra perks from other fighters) can be bought with in-game Gold. One thing I really like is that it also gives you a bunch of Toasts, basically GGs that you can send to any player after a match is over. These actually award 25 Gold so as well as giving them to players that impress you, you and a friend can play co-op (even one-round bot matches) and keep tipping each other, so if you play loads and are drowning in Gold but they don’t, you can help them get the characters they want sooner. You can even buy Toasts for Gold if you have spare cash, but you get a bunch from the Pass as well. Seems like a solid system.
  • Hazar KhallHazar Khall1,990,190
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 15:49
    It has Shaggy, and if he even uses a fraction of his real power... yes, this will be amazing.
    Go big or go home (>*_*)>---gs
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 15:50
    Snooch2theBooch said:

FeArSoMeFoXpUp said:
    Also the "free" rewards versus "paid premium" rewards might turn a lot of players off if they choose to stick with game that don't have money to throw at the game, just my opinion
    To be fair, that doesn’t sound much different than Fortnite, Call of Duty, etc. which has no problem retaining players and attracting newcomers.
    Difference is this isn't a battle royal or shooter, fighting games just don't have that much appeal or prolong play ability compared with MK/Street Fighter and of course Smash Bros series. The "free" rewards like all other F2P games are horrific compared to the "premium" rewards, if this game offers all these rewards and can be earned either playing (grinding out) or paying up front like most folk then great, but I don't think that's going to be the case and will ultimately cause the game to fall flat, again it's just my two cents
  • SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,668,517
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 16:29
    Good roster.

Never did get a code for registering for the closed alpha.

Though no achievements there = no loss.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 May 22 at 16:52
    Well, not look bad but its again one stupid grind... Hope here fun for make people play 500games
  • Nave SutlefNave Sutlef126,708
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 17:18
    I’m sorry but I just can’t look past the stupid Shaggy meme. Instantly turned me off it.
  • kT EchokT Echo441,780
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 17:41
    Don't think it'll be amazing, but it'll be better than most people originally gave it credit for. I've been watching top smash pros play this game and they've already found new tech to speed up movement and attacks which is the biggest worry for me right now since the game initially looked floaty and slow.

For the NASB comparisons, that game was and is still fun, but there's nothing bringing the player base back day after day so it's not a surprise it died off.

Multiversus not only has a bigger team that can put out content quicker, but they have a deeper pool of IP to source from, they have the seasonal concept, and it fills a niche that smash bros does not with its focus on 2v2s. This game definitely has legs, especially with cross play
  • The 7th ODSTThe 7th ODST694,550
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 17:51
    More Game Of Thrones characters plzzzz
  • SprinkyDinkSprinkyDink2,523,306
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 18:15
    Definetly not buying day one I did that with the Nickelodeon one and it was downright terrible
  • EchelonSixEchelonSix1,014,617
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 18:22
    looks like fortnite... laugh nope for me
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 18:49
    Fighting games are one of my worse genres. I just can't figure out how to become good at them. Too many button combos and sequences that I just can't remember.
  • Posted on 22 May 22 at 19:30
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    Fighting games are one of my worse genres. I just can't figure out how to become good at them. Too many button combos and sequences that I just can't remember.
    What are these button ..combos?.. I only know a move called 'spam attack until you win, hopefully'.
  • SchinderdivSchinderdiv810,803
    Posted on 22 May 22 at 20:57
    Considering I don't know who 5 of these characters are, and I'm not interested in Loony Tunes, that roster looks rather lackluster to me.
    If you have to ask, you're streets behind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.