The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Easy Gamerscore: The 101 quickest completions from the latest Xbox sales

• Posted on 22 June 22 at 12:02
    I've been a member of this site for 13 years and don't chase GS. Never have. TA is an excellent tracking site, which is why I'm a Pro subscriber. I think people who buy GS just for GS are a minority on this site. Loving achievements and loving easy GS are two totally different things.
  • Posted on 22 June 22 at 12:29
    wowclap
  • FaSCoRPFaSCoRP569,602
    Posted on 22 June 22 at 15:35
    Can any of you recommend fun games here ? I know there is a lot of crap but could be some tiny gem there
    games are almost the same thing. I purchased the same bundle a while ago and I regret it
  • SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,427,523
    Posted on 22 June 22 at 17:09
    Instead of responding to negative comments, I'm gonna give my conclusion then the evidence.

My stand:
    Easy games respect our personhood more than harder games do.

My experiences from yesterday in brief:
    Worked on a lot of low ratio achievements for Warboats, both on Windows and Xbox.

And my immediate experience going back to an old Windows 8 game like 4 Elements II: Special Edition (Windows) Achievements
    Was, wow there was more game content, charm, design, and care than, say
    Ballotron (Windows) Achievements

BUT, for all the good things going on in 4 Elements, it is torture earning achievements in it.

That's brings down the overall gaming experience, and makes me wonder why devs were not nicer back around 10 years ago, and attach better achievements to make it a better game.

TLDR: Ballotron wins the day. Easy achievements do in fact make a better game. Easy achievements show devs care about gamers more now than they used to.
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285630,678
    Posted on 22 June 22 at 21:50
    kipfizh said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    I wish there was an option to not include games you own/have completed

Gonna have to do some cross referencing on the pc when I get off work.
    I know it isn't what you're after exactly, but I did notice today that on web, if you hover over each game name, it tells you your score in that game, which does help a little. In a list of 101 though, that would be a nice filter!
    Yeah I've been using it more often but rarely ever on PC so that's not really handy usually and something I'm just not going to do with 101. I've decided to just stick with the ones I already purchased before this thread was made and not really push anymore this month. Already surpassed 50k GS this month while my goal was to get 40k when passing 400k meaning I'd get 10% of my total in a month.
    Posted on 22 June 22 at 21:52
    SMOLDERPICKEM44 said:
    .....the whole chicken caboodle, ......
    Thanks for this. I laughed out loud. I've never heard anyone mess that one up with chicken. laugh
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,566,283
    Posted on 23 June 22 at 00:41, Edited on 23 June 22 at 01:45 by Johnny Sinister
    Spirochaete said:
    Instead of responding to negative comments, I'm gonna give my conclusion then the evidence.

My stand:
    Easy games respect our personhood more than harder games do.

My experiences from yesterday in brief:
    Worked on a lot of low ratio achievements for Warboats, both on Windows and Xbox.

And my immediate experience going back to an old Windows 8 game like 4 Elements II: Special Edition (Windows) Achievements
    Was, wow there was more game content, charm, design, and care than, say
    Ballotron (Windows) Achievements

BUT, for all the good things going on in 4 Elements, it is torture earning achievements in it.

That's brings down the overall gaming experience, and makes me wonder why devs were not nicer back around 10 years ago, and attach better achievements to make it a better game.

TLDR: Ballotron wins the day. Easy achievements do in fact make a better game. Easy achievements show devs care about gamers more now than they used to.
    The example you used is very specific, and I am not sure it can properly sum up the issue of 'easy games' in relation to quality. (BTW, I played 4 elements and got absolutely sick of it, so I agree with your assessment. Doesn't help that I lost my save near the end and refuse to restart it).

While I am sure my views reflect those of the negative comments you didn't want to respond to, I assure you there is some actual substance to my claims. I am not simply a grumpy old gamer spouting "back in my day, achievements actually used to mean something".

I would also like to inject that not all 'easy gamerscore' games are bad. Some are actually charming and enjoyable.

I think the big issue with easy, effortless gamerscore nowadays is that they are exploiting both the gamerscore system, as well as the gamers that seem to eat it up.

For those that haven't realized it yet, publishers such as Ratalaika, Xitilion, and Chillidog and not in the business of selling 'easy games', per se. This business model isn't really designed to sell games at all actually, but rather gamerscore. The games are, for the most part, completely arbitrary.
    There was, until recently, a completely untapped resource of existing games that would have never appeared on a premium marketplace such as the Xbox marketplace. The reason being, they lack the quality to ever be considered for publishing.
    However, when the art of 'selling gamerscore'was perfected, these 'games' (in many cases, the term is used loosely) found a new demographic. And since there is no natural quality to these games, publishers can buy them up cheap. Since the games would, under normal circumstances, never find themselves in a premium marketplace, publishers can offer them very little for the chance to be distributed on home consoles.

While this practice is great for achievement hunters (gatherers?), it is not great for the indie industry. The indie game industry has always been pretty volatile (having to compete with the big boys), but now find themselves competing against games that, to be completely honest, have no business on the marketplace.
    While this may seem like just a sour opinion, you can actually see it in action when looking at player counts. A ratalaika game can come out and get a 1000 players solely on the premise of selling them gamerscore whereas a well constructed and high quality indie game for $20 (a fair price for the effort and quality) will have a player base of only double digits (or in some cases, even single digits).
    This isn't a rule by any means, but an observation.

TLDR: An easy gamerscore game won't necessarily be worse than a game requiring more time and effort, but the new practice of selling arbitrary games for gamerscore is introducing games, many of which show up on these sales, that aren't deserving of your time or money.
  • Posted on 23 June 22 at 04:26
    Not to bad. I say most are not all that bad considering the price. Most will just play and skip past everything for the achievements but some of these games have a solid base to them.
    If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have Hot Dogs!!!
  • qwe1313qwe1313216,349
    Posted on 23 June 22 at 06:58
    Johnny Sinister said:
    A ratalaika game can come out and get a 1000 players solely on the premise of selling them gamerscore whereas a well constructed and high quality indie game for $20 (a fair price for the effort and quality) will have a player base of only double digits (or in some cases, even single digits).
    It was a really sad observation for me, when I found a nice indie platformer with said double digit, despite the fact that developer even made a demo for Xbox demo event two years ago.
  • EverStoned77EverStoned77745,773
    Posted on 23 June 22 at 21:22
    EazyE2285 said:
    A Krayt Dragon said:
    Really wish there was a sortable Community Rating column for these.
    You can do exactly that on the sales page: Latest Xbox Sales
    The only thing is that it won't just be these games but everything that's on sale but given the size of my game collection I find it 10 times easier doing it that way ... now if only there were a way to tag/flag games you aren't interested in going through them would be so easy since there's so many games that goes on sale again & again
    "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open" -- Frank Zappa
  • Posted on 23 June 22 at 22:15
    EverStoned77 said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    A Krayt Dragon said:
    Really wish there was a sortable Community Rating column for these.
    The only thing is that it won't just be these games but everything that's on sale but given the size of my game collection I find it 10 times easier doing it that way ... now if only there were a way to tag/flag games you aren't interested in going through them would be so easy since there's so many games that goes on sale again & again
    Thank you so much! This is immensely helpful.
    Posted on 24 June 22 at 00:02
    EverStoned77 said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    Went from 33 to 26 pages excluding owned. At 30 a page that’s 750+ things to now look at. Making this option somehow worse instead of better cry
  • El NeverEl Never429,270
    Posted on 24 June 22 at 14:24
    Beanpotter said:
    Lovely. More for my Bean Dive in just over a week! dive
    Exactly what I was thinking lol
    El Never
  • El NeverEl Never429,270
    Posted on 24 June 22 at 14:25
    Is it me Or I only counted the 100??
    El Never
  • MC PHILABUSTAMC PHILABUSTA1,523,592
    Posted on 24 June 22 at 21:39
    Glass masquerade are great puzzle games very underated still where's 3?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.