Game Discussion: Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN)

Halo MCC (CN) - Halo 4 Black Screen on the Composer

• TJ sixtyfourTJ sixtyfour2,674,271
    Posted on 19 July 22 at 21:52, Edited on 22 July 22 at 19:20 by TJ sixtyfour
    On the mission the Composer in Halo 4. In the middle of the mission when I press the button to see Doctor Tillson for the first time, you know part of the mission. However, once I press the button like a second later. Everything gets unloaded and then the screen quickly turns black. The cutscene still plays, but on a black screen, and once it's over.
    See the game for like a split second and then it quickly fades black. Can still hear firing my weapons and walking around. Reloading checkpoint, saving & quitting, restarting the game, and hard resetting my console didn't fix it. Has anyone else run into this problem on Halo 4? I'm playing on the Series X.
    TJ sixtyfour
  • Bastian ReaderBastian Reader1,720,410
    Posted on 19 July 22 at 22:50
    TJ sixtyfour said:
    On the mission the Composer in Halo 4. In the middle of the mission when I press the button to see the Doc, you know part of the mission. However, once I press the button like a second later. I seem to get teleported somewhere off the map, and the screen becomes black. The cutscenes still plays, but a black screen, and once it's over.
    See the game for like a split second and then it quickly fades black. Can hear still hear fireing my weapons and walking around. Reloading checkpoint, saving & quitting, restarting the game, and hard resetting my console didn't fix it. Has anyone else run into this problem on Halo 4? I'm playing on the Series X.
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game?
    Posted on 19 July 22 at 23:25
    Bastian Reader said:
    TJ sixtyfour said:
    On the mission the Composer in Halo 4. In the middle of the mission when I press the button to see the Doc, you know part of the mission. However, once I press the button like a second later. I seem to get teleported somewhere off the map, and the screen becomes black. The cutscenes still plays, but a black screen, and once it's over.
    See the game for like a split second and then it quickly fades black. Can hear still hear fireing my weapons and walking around. Reloading checkpoint, saving & quitting, restarting the game, and hard resetting my console didn't fix it. Has anyone else run into this problem on Halo 4? I'm playing on the Series X.
    I will try that shortly. Did you ever run into that problem?
    TJ sixtyfour
  • Bastian ReaderBastian Reader1,720,410
    Posted on 19 July 22 at 23:31
    TJ sixtyfour said:
    Bastian Reader said:
    TJ sixtyfour said:
    I will try that shortly. Did you ever run into that problem?
    I have not had this issue with halo. But I think this fixed some other random game. Could’ve been coincidental for me that uninstall and reinstall worked, but it’s certainly worth a try.
  • Outlawed TornOutlawed Torn2,414,952
    Posted on 20 July 22 at 06:27
    TJ sixtyfour said:
    This is an issue caused by playing on Series X/S. I had to finish the level on my One X when I was playing the level in a playlist.
    Posted on 22 July 22 at 19:07
    Outlawed Torn said:
    TJ sixtyfour said:
    This is an issue caused by playing on Series X/S. I had to finish the level on my One X when I was playing the level in a playlist.
    That's what I thought shortly after making this forum.
    Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't sell my old one x yet. As I was able to finish the rest of the playlist on the one x.
    TJ sixtyfour
  • super fichasuper ficha322,915
  • MondoBondoMondoBondo1,172,567
    Posted on 07 October 22 at 16:36
    Yeah, this glitch happened to me as well :/
  • Posted on 08 October 22 at 03:18
    I recently did this co op with my brother on an Xbox one s and me on a series x and got no black screen and was able to finish the mission normally. He was the one that pushed the button. Not sure if that matters.
    Posted on 11 October 22 at 06:43
    JoDo0914 said:
    I recently did this co op with my brother on an Xbox one s and me on a series x and got no black screen and was able to finish the mission normally. He was the one that pushed the button. Not sure if that matters.
    it is probably the only current solution, it would have to be tested.
    super ficha
    Posted on 24 April 23 at 00:44, Edited on 24 April 23 at 02:13 by super ficha
    JoDo0914 said:
    I can confirm that playing someone on a xbox one while i'm on series X, Black screen does not show up. Anyone who pushes the button to open the door, no problem. I just did the test with a friend who was on xbox one.

What I have noticed is that while he is on xbox one, it takes longer to load the cinematics, so it may be that the xbox series is not finishing loading the scenes and cinematics well (according to my theory, I can be wrong ).

My friend and me, retested, but now he switched to xbox series X. And after opening the door to see doctor tillson, the black screen came back.

In conclusion, if you are playing on xbox series X, the only solution is to play with a person who is on xbox one. The problem will be for the achievement: lone wolf legend.
    super ficha
  • Posted on 24 April 23 at 05:16
    I had to do solo legendary on my brothers one s and then delete my save from my series x and load the cloud save. Haven't finished solo legendary yet but composer shows solo legendary completion now. I wonder if you started a co op run and had the other person quit after the button push if the game would register it as a solo completion.
  • Posted on 07 May 23 at 05:00, Edited on 07 May 23 at 05:01 by sunflower dough
    You can only avoid the black screen on Series X|S by playing online Co-Op, even if both players have a Series X|S.
    The person who is not the host must have another controller plugged into splitscreen, this will prevent the black screen from occurring.
  • S GTS GT603,410
    Posted on 11 May 23 at 22:03
    just ran into this bug. really annoying tbh
  • lightsup55lightsup55672,860
    Posted on 21 May 23 at 19:15
    For anyone going for Terminal 6 on Composer, which applies to the following achievements:
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN)JusticeThe Justice achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN) worth 10 pointsHalo 4: Activate Terminal 6 on Composer.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN)TerminusThe Terminus achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN) worth 46 pointsHalo 4: Activate all Halo 4 Terminals.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN)Lore MasterThe Lore Master achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection (CN) worth 78 pointsActivate all terminals.

The player can load up the Halo 4 mission Composer starting at Rally Point Bravo and head straight for Terminal 6 to activate it without any issues on Xbox Series X|S.

I tried this on a new account that hasn't activated any Terminals prior via an Xbox Series X console. After activating Terminal 6 on the Halo 4 mission Composer, the account now has 14% toward Terminus and 2% toward Lore Master achievements.

I was playing solo when this was attempted on Xbox Series X.

I'm not sure if the storage speed (HDD vs. SSD; i.e. slow vs. fast storage) on Xbox Series X makes any difference when playing the Halo 4 mission Composer, but...

I should also note that I had the game installed on a Seagate Game Drive Hub for Xbox 8TB Storage with Dual USB Ports (HDD).

So if anyone wants to try this, here is what you need:
    - Use an Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X console only
    - Only 1 account signed in
    - Play solo
    - Campaigns -> Halo 4 -> Missions -> Composer -> Rally Point Bravo -> [optional stuff like difficulty/skulls] -> Accept Options (i.e. start)
    - Go up to the terminal and press the Action/Reload button (cn_RB by default)
    - This should load up the old Halo Channel app (discontinued and no longer works) or bring you to the store page with an error (delisted for Xbox and thus cannot be installed on Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S)
    - Press B to navigate back to the game, which should've gone into Quick Resume
    - The achievement should unlock with updated progress toward Terminus (+14%) and Lore Master (+2%)
    Discord: lightsup55#1491
    Posted on 27 May 23 at 02:26
    Hey, but those "partially discontinued" achievements wouldn't affect when you play with someone on xbox one AND you on xbox series. The only one that can affect it is in "Lone wolf legend". That one can stay like "partially discontinued"
    super ficha
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads