Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

How did the Xbox 'Achievement Hunter Sale' get it so wrong?

• Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:42
    Discontinued achievements, 1,000-hour completions, games without achievements, massive ratios... the new Xbox Achievement Hunter Sale doesn't exactly feel like it lives up to its name.

Please click here to read the full story: How did the Xbox 'Achievement Hunter Sale' get it so wrong?
  • mystmagimystmagi2,085,395
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:46
    This is like most xbox sales outside of the Xmas sale and summer sale where its
    (We needed a 'gamer' title) Sale! Shop Now!
  • RichRichie1989RichRichie19891,414,007
    not really worth buying games with unobtainable achievements or games with no achievements
  • Mikeyoj200Mikeyoj200863,471
    Just shows the contempt that some in Xbox have for this community. They have no clue. They think they can just slap an 'achievement hunter' banner on a near generic sale and we will be gullible enough to buy into it.
  • GuttapunkGuttapunk1,425,424
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:49
    who cares lmao
    "Wasn't that fun?" "I'm sorry if I hurt anyone." "Better luck next time, don't worry so much."
  • Maxumilli0nMaxumilli0n1,747,488
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:49
    I barely buy games from the MS store sale or not, anymore. Last exception I made I was Elden Ring because well, it's Elden Ring.

It's clear that achievement support or a focus on restructuring isn't a priority for MS. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Sony's storefront with games at 50 cents with 30 mins comp times.
  • efstratiosefstratios711,282
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:52
    It says a lot about their thoughts on achievements and the community when they would promote a product on the basis of it being a game for achievements knowing it’s broken
  • Thief000Thief000992,624
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:56
    Maxumilli0n said:
    I barely buy games from the MS store sale or not, anymore. Last exception I made I was Elden Ring because well, it's Elden Ring.

It's clear that achievement support or a focus on restructuring isn't a priority for MS. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Sony's storefront with games at 50 cents with 30 mins comp times.
    Same here. Elden Ring was the first game I bought full price in a long while.
    I think it's inevitable for those games to appear with the amount of games that release every week now. It's a tough space to compete in these days.
  • KJer25KJer25873,673
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:57
    I didn’t realize MKX had discontinued achievements. I sure wish they’d stop with all the online achievement stuff. Not happening anytime soon, though.
    Separation from base 1000 and DLC lists would be great. I’d love to see them bring back avatar awards, and make some sort of level up process.
  • Posted on 02 August 22 at 17:57
    There are many, many times I have no idea why I visit this site other than habit. Then this gem of an article and I get sucked back in again

thanks (I guess......)
  • GilCAnjosGilCAnjos170,034
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:05
    Honestly, when has one of these sales actually stuck to the theme?
  • DombineDombine476,466
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:06
    Achievement Hunting isn't just easy quick completions, you know? I know players who Achievement Hunt for the hardest games. The non-achievement games, yeah why? But even discontinued, just play them and get what you can get
    Dombine
  • Moment of GuiltMoment of Guilt1,010,284
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:08
    Looks like completing Trackmania was more worth it now that it’s featured in here. Really not that hard though and it was a really fun game other than me raging at times. This sale is a slap to the face with that title though.
  • Steve ShepSteve Shep1,374,391
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:11
    Dombine said:
    Achievement Hunting isn't just easy quick completions, you know? I know players who Achievement Hunt for the hardest games. The non-achievement games, yeah why? But even discontinued, just play them and get what you can get
    I second that I find hard won achievement/completion a lot more satisfying than the easy ones . Unobtainables on the other hand is a bit shoddy
  • MA3LSTR0M808MA3LSTR0M8081,247,464
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:13
    Insert Generic sale title here
  • Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:17
    Its just a name for them to sell stuff
    Main GT: President Ucorp "Achievement - a thing done successfully with effort, skill, or courage." Ah I remember those good ol' days...
  • Kaiser679Kaiser679227,677
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:20
    Guttapunk said:
    who cares lmao
    Ummm... lots of people on a site like this, as evidenced by the amount of comments in the hour it's been active. The world doesn't revolve around you. If YOU don't care, just go do something else.
  • mikachu93mikachu93276,072
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:23
    Discontinued achievements and games with no achievements, that's one thing.

But long completion times and difficult achievements aren't against the spirit -- to many people, they are the spirit. It's called "achievement hunting" and not "achievement shopping" for a reason.
  • ChknFingrsChknFingrs1,024,750
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:27
    Dombine said:
    Yeah, doesn't go over so well with us completionists tho...
  • XI AlphaMale IXXI AlphaMale IX1,040,303
    Posted on 02 August 22 at 18:28
    They just name stuff things.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.