Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Microsoft responds to Sony's Call of Duty concerns

• Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:05
    Microsoft has now responded to the concerns raised by Sony about the consequences of Microsoft's proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

Please click here to read the full story: Microsoft responds to Sony's Call of Duty concerns
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:09
    Sums up the sad current state of gaming. Call of Duty should never be a system chooser, not when its at its lowest quality and greediest now than its ever been.
    Do you know what nemesis means - Bricktop
  • wookieepuppywookieepuppy838,918
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:16
    Whatever your opinion on the quality of COD these days, itis a MASSIVE cash cow for activision .....and whoever owns activision. Day 1 on game pass: I think sony should be concerned. And they should be equally worried about all these traditionally Japanese/sony only games coming to xbox , like the Persona series.
  • Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:16
    ResiGamer32 said:
    Sums up the sad current state of gaming. Call of Duty should never be a system chooser, not when its at its lowest quality and greediest now than its ever been.
    It's a picking your poison these days, it's either BF 2042 or CoD Vanguard (if you want the "latest FPS experience") atleast to CoD's credit they keep servers functional compared to the other significant company.

Horse Armor DLC doesn't sound that bad these days now does it
    Main GT: Dutch x Monster
  • HUN playmoreHUN playmore1,716,874
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:21
    I'm really enjoying how Sony and the fans are sweating about this. Remember kids, exclusivity is only good if Sony does it!
  • Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:21, Edited on 11 August 22 at 10:22 by Bolter Elite
    wookieepuppy said:
    Whatever your opinion on the quality of COD these days, itis a MASSIVE cash cow for activision .....and whoever owns activision. Day 1 on game pass: I think sony should be concerned. And they should be equally worried about all these traditionally Japanese/sony only games coming to xbox , like the Persona series.
    Persona (atleast 4 Golden) has been sold on steam since 2020, also the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games have already migrated to Nintendo, as far back as the DS era with Soul Hackers, Devil Summoner and SMT 4 Apocalypse and other exclusive titles. Including the 2 exclusive games for 3DS Persona Q1 and 2

Xbox was bound do happen but it's far overdue yet I'm very excited to see it on Xbox aswell as this is the preferred platform of play
    Main GT: Dutch x Monster
  • SaucyBrotatoSaucyBrotato308,130
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:23
    News just in, giant Japanese corporation with vast history of spending millions to ensure exclusivity to it's hardware, cries at fear of console exclusivity not on its hardware.
  • xLsWxxLsWx1,068,035
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:24
    Perhaps Sony should consider relaxing on some of their IPs e.g. Spiderman, FF etc...
  • Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:27
    Seems a fairly accurate statement. I couldn't care less about CoD (never played one), but it seems a little hypocritical of Sony given that Microsoft is generally far less aggressive in the exclusivity of first-party titles. MS have owned Minecraft for years and continued to support it equally across platforms, and haven't restricted Bethesda games on Playstation. Given that Sony generally don't release any first-party titles for Xbox, and actively work to restrict third-party games and content, maybe they should try applying their arguments to their own business!
  • I Boz lI Boz l1,240,751
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:28
    "It only reveals, once again, a fear about an innovative business model that offers high-quality content at low costs to gamers, threatening a leadership that has been forged from a device-centric and exclusivity-focused strategy over the years.”
    Fatality.
  • Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:39
    I am not so well informed about the exact reason for its exclusivity but when Sony is so afraid that MS could make CoD an Xbox Exclusive Franchise, maybe they could give up the Demon Souls, Bloodborne and/or God of War Exclusivity for the Playstation? Of course this would negate some reasons to buy a Playstation at all but well, asking for one Franchise and denying Xbox Users another sounds a bit hypocritical for me. Just my two cents.
  • Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:50
    Can’t believe they missed the best part.
    specifically, with respect to Activision Blizzard video games, there is nothing unique about the video games developed and published by Activision Blizzard that is a “must have” for rival PC and console video game distributors that could give rise to a foreclosure concern
    “Life is the universe experiencing itself.” - Spirit of Lord Opengate, "Death’s Door"
  • YamorakYamorak828,816
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 10:57
    HUN playmore said:
    I'm really enjoying how Sony and the fans are sweating about this. Remember kids, exclusivity is only good if Sony does it!
    I've asked people before to name a positive about PS that's not exclusives and they always go quiet. laugh

It's funny hearing how Sony are frightened over a potential system seller when they try to do the same constantly by grabbing exclusives. Weren't we supposed to have that Final Fantasy game by now?
  • Elessar1191Elessar1191302,796
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 11:02, Edited on 11 August 22 at 11:06 by Elessar1191
    Bolter Elite said:
    ResiGamer32 said:
    Horse Armor DLC doesn't sound that bad these days now does it
    Damn right it doesn't*.
    Though the digital marketplace has allowed publishers to for go the inevitable price drop over the years, that you usually find with physical copies.

Just as CoDs greed still has them charging way above the games' value** - especially the 360 games...
    CoD2 & 3 £14.99
    CoD4 MW & WaW £19.99
    CoD MW2, Black Ops & MW3 £24.99
    CoD: Black Ops II £39.99!!
    CoD: Ghosts, Advanced/Infinite Warfare still up at £54.99.
    That's before taking into account the Season Passes at (when not on sale) between £34-39.99.

*Horse Armor doesn't seem quite as extortionate now at £1.69, compared to its original price.

**then again, this can actually be said about most digital games. They ought to be cheaper than physical games considering there's no manufacturing, shipping or store costs to deal with.
  • vgmkylevgmkyle194,055
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 11:14
    A successful and verbal assault to Sony from Microsoft. Well done, Microsoft, it's about time you guys stop playing nice with this scummy, greedy double standard company.
  • PhantomPlanetAPPhantomPlanetAP1,476,563
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 11:41
    “Considering that exclusivity strategies have been at the core of Sony’s strategy to strengthen its presence in the games industry, and that Sony is a leader in the distribution of digital games, Sony’s concern with possible exclusivity of Activision‘s content is incoherent, to say the least... It only reveals, once again, a fear about an innovative business model that offers high-quality content at low costs to gamers, threatening a leadership that has been forged from a device-centric and exclusivity-focused strategy over the years.”
    Exactly. Cost is the most important factor to gamers and the exclusivity strategy Sony has been taking in decades ignores this core cost burden to gamers but focusing on their own profits only, resulting in delivering overpriced and fragile online services and overly expensive exclusive games. Now they fear their strategy is at stake by such an innovative new business model to ruin theirs, so they complained it... What a loser. and they can make tons of new
    exclusive IPs with higher prices, hoping gamers to stay them while sucking their money
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 August 22 at 12:16
    Lovely rebuttal. Absolutely perfect.
    https://systemmastersgames.wordpress.com/
  • thepack1221thepack1221840,024
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 12:31
    I know there’s plenty more examples out there, but I look at Fall Guys in this situation. Sony kept that game from Xbox users for TWO YEARS. That made me pretty upset, so I’m glad to see Microsoft stick it to Sony.
  • pawncrackerspawncrackers342,094
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 12:43
    I have ALWAYS stood by Microsoft on this, and again, will say, that it would NOT make business sense to keep Call of Duty as a platform exclusive, even more so, the near endless catalogue of games that will come with Acti/Bliz.

The idea of exclusivity goes AGAINST what Microsoft are trying to do - unify platforms (cross play), so EVERYONE can play TOGETHER. Sony have not been open to much cross play activity, in comparison, although that is slowly changing.

I would be very surprised if Microsoft did not utilise Xbox Insider for future Closed Beta tests, and having maps released before Playstation, in response to recent years, but saying this, mentalities have changed over time. It's down to the higher ups to make the deals that work for the developers and all involved in production of the games.

Finally, Call of Duty is an FPS game. It's not it's own genre. There are too many people twisting things into what they aren't. For those confused, get back to basics, and you'll always have your answer.

L
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan968,574
    Posted on 11 August 22 at 12:45
    It would be stupid to make CoD exclusive, they would lose tons of sales.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.